Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

Be Our Guest Lunch! The entire experience was frustrating and the food was pitiful.

Wanted to take my little princesses, so I was able to get a rez. Who knew we would have to stand in the sun in Line #1 FIRST, before we could queue up for a SUPER crowded line just to (yes, wait for it....."wait" being the operative word here!), WAIT to input your own order!!! We literally waited in line for at least 30-35 minutes WITH a rez! And that was just to get to a machine to place our own order! Then heaven help you if you have little ones by yourself as you have to get safely through the crowds, going from cavernous room to room desperately trying to find an open table to even SIT at! Finally found a dirty table and grabbed it, telling kids not to touch the table until it was cleaned. Guess what? THEN I had to leave the kids and our long awaited (dirty) table to even fetch our own drinks! Oh, and the silverware and condiments were on the OTHER side of the giant room. If the service and food was good, I could have overlooked some of this, but the food was awful and service was NO where to be found! I finally get across the room, trying to keep an eye on my young ones, to get their drinks, only to find the drink dispenser was OUT. And no CM in sight. Went to the other end and found the drink, but not the right cups!! UNBELIEVABLE. Truly the worst service I have EVER, EVER had at a Disney restaurant in any price range. And I've been a DVC Member for over 25 years, so it wasn't my first rodeo.

It's a quick service restaurant, you seemed to be expecting more than it is. Service is always minimal, slightly more at BOG because they bring you your food but that's it. If you really wanted to order with a person they do have a few registers with CMs. And I've always found the utensils right near the beverage station, so I'm not sure what was going on when you were there (i think the silverware is in mobile carts, so maybe someone messed up that day and didn't put them in the right place).

BOG lunch. Not impressed.
BOG lunch.

I couldn’t get reservations on our previous trip, so DD made it a priority for our recent trip in July. I couldn’t get a dinner ADR, so I took the lunch ADR instead. The inside of the castle was grand, but the vibe was college cafeteria. The food tasted like average takeout. We were extremely disappointed.

I see no reason to return.

Le Cellier: burnt steak, tiny & close tables, inflated prices even by WDW standards.

Be Our Guest dinner: Not worth the pre-fixe price, loud, cafeteria-type setting, weak service, mediocre food, the Beast is aloof & boring to meet.
Good to know. I thought it was just BOG lunch that was lousy.

I guess we got lucky with ‘Ohana. Maybe it was because we had a 5:30 reservation.
1. Food was delicious. Meat was hot, tender, tasty. (Not happy with having to peel the shrimp, but tasted good)
2. Service was on point. Chef Brandon personally prepared and served all courses for our traveling companion with gluten and dairy allergies.
3. Entertainment and games were adorable and completely under control.
4. Waiter didn’t charge for my husband’s Lapu Lapu being served in the pineapple.
5. No wait to be seated. We were not rushed at all. We actually were encouraged to stay longer to enjoy more servings of food that we couldn’t possibly eat. I barely tasted the dessert. Just too much food.

At California Grill, we had a terrible experience with our server three years ago. We were encouraged to try it again this recent trip. We had the best meal and service of our entire trip. The food snd service was sublime.

Sometimes you have lousy luck with a terrible waiter. I think it’s a good idea to try again because you might find that it is better the next time.

As far as 50’s Prime Time, we gave them many chances, but the waiters appear to be afraid to offend anyone and no longer perform the entertaining schtick. It was so fun years ago.

678E88C6-5F0C-41F1-B042-0CD90FA52978.jpeg
Narcoosees and flame tree. Should have known I wouldn’t like Flame Tree. Being from the south I am a pretty good meat smoker so I was skeptical after reading all the reviews but tried it anyway. Well I should have lol. Narcoosess, well me and my wife like red lobster better.
What a shame. We had a spectacular 25th Wedding Anniversary dinner at Narcoossees in July. The bartender was a doll. He was so attentive and filled with great stories. Our waiter for dinner went out of his way to please us. The steak was outstanding. The almond cheesecake was beyond delicious. The wine and complimentary champagne was perfection.

When I look at the above photo, I have to wonder how anyone could prefer eating at Red Lobster over Narcoossees.

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same thing. When I am paying a good amount of money for a meal, I expect it to be at minimum decent. And if it is NOT, I will very politely ask that whatever the problem is be remedied. I have never had a Disney restaurant not apologize and whisk my food away to get a replacement.

totally agree. with the number of meals that get prepared every day at each restaurant, it’s bound to happen for someone’s plate to have a problem. i actually think it leaves a very positive impression and good staff who remedy the problem mean I’m *more likely* to return to a restaurant on future trips.

my post on this thread (HBD) was the one time I was treated poorly when I asked for a problem to be solved. The undercooked food was a problem, but the terrible service that ultimately refused to solve the problem is the reason I’ll probably never go back.

Be Our Guest Lunch! The entire experience was frustrating and the food was pitiful.

Wanted to take my little princesses, so I was able to get a rez. Who knew we would have to stand in the sun in Line #1 FIRST, before we could queue up for a SUPER crowded line just to (yes, wait for it....."wait" being the operative word here!), WAIT to input your own order!!! We literally waited in line for at least 30-35 minutes WITH a rez! And that was just to get to a machine to place our own order! Then heaven help you if you have little ones by yourself as you have to get safely through the crowds, going from cavernous room to room desperately trying to find an open table to even SIT at! Finally found a dirty table and grabbed it, telling kids not to touch the table until it was cleaned. Guess what? THEN I had to leave the kids and our long awaited (dirty) table to even fetch our own drinks! Oh, and the silverware and condiments were on the OTHER side of the giant room. If the service and food was good, I could have overlooked some of this, but the food was awful and service was NO where to be found! I finally get across the room, trying to keep an eye on my young ones, to get their drinks, only to find the drink dispenser was OUT. And no CM in sight. Went to the other end and found the drink, but not the right cups!! UNBELIEVABLE. Truly the worst service I have EVER, EVER had at a Disney restaurant in any price range. And I've been a DVC Member for over 25 years, so it wasn't my first rodeo.
Excellent description.

It's a quick service restaurant, you seemed to be expecting more than it is. Service is always minimal, slightly more at BOG because they bring you your food but that's it. If you really wanted to order with a person they do have a few registers with CMs. And I've always found the utensils right near the beverage station, so I'm not sure what was going on when you were there (i think the silverware is in mobile carts, so maybe someone messed up that day and didn't put them in the right place).

:laughing: Oh honey! I've eaten at pretty much EVERY fast food location in WDW multiple times so I assure you I know what fast food service is and is not. The details I have provided were EXACTLY what happened to me. And it was a nightmare having 2 little ones with me and no other adult to run interference. I liken BOG lunch to a chain we really like, Pei Wei, where one orders at a register, pays right there and then you find yourself a table & then they bring your food to YOU. In the vast majority of fast food places, you either get your food when you order & pay, or you wait around with your receipt to pick it up. Like Panera Bread, for instance. The difference at Pei Wei is that if they are super busy, there's usually someone to help you FIND a table. Not so at BOG. And this is something they REALLY need to remedy. Just having 2 or 3 CM's to help people find tables would be huge.

BOG is cavernous, with multiple rooms. I have owned a food business, so I know a little about getting people in, taken care of, happy eating, and OUT so you can get the next customers. That's usually the way WDW does it. BOG was truly the worst set up by far I have ever witnessed, anywhere I have ever gone. If your experience was much better, I am truly happy for you. But between the lousy food, non-existent service (had to beg someone to clean the only table I could find in the whole place and it was nasty), and the setup, I will not be returning. I would rather go to Cosmic Ray's madness where at least there is some semblance of order and I'm not paying for much overpriced food.

California Grill has been a very, very longtime favorite of ours, and living so close, we often go there for special occasions. We have seen a serious slip in service there since the reopening a few years ago after they had been close for months for the refurbishment. The big change that happened with that was that the general manager we loved so much, "Gary" (can't think of his last name, but I know he went from Ca Grill to Artist Point) was reassigned. His absence, in our opinion, has cause a vast loss of service. We have had good service a time or 2 since, but not like it was before. :sad2:
I have only been after they redid the place. It definitely doesn't have the level of service it should have. The brunch has been great though, I don't know if they have different people work that or they are just happier earlier in the day lol.

Teppan Edo. It seemed to be highly rated online and family members rave about how much they love it. I wasn't impressed at all as I felt it wasn't nearly as good as any of the similar places near my home. I was very surprised as most Japanese hibachi steakhouses I've ever been to (up and down the east coast) have always been very, very similar IMO when it comes to food quality and taste. The noodles, rice, and vegetables tasted completely different and it wasn't a positive experience for me food wise. Service was fine and no real complaints other than the food being underwhelming though.

I think my DH and I are the only ones who had a subpar meal at Art Smith's Homecomin.
It was our 50th anniversary meal this past March, and we were very excited to eat there. All the reviews were fantastic, no complaints. We love southern food and have lived in the south for many years, so we decided to give it a try..
We ordered the chicken dinner plate with hush puppies (one of my favorites). The waitress was great and suggested we order one meal, as they are huge. She was right!
The chicken was okay, but like you get anywhere else, so it did not stand out. The mashed potatoes were gross! That's the only word for it. They were so watery that we had to eat them with a spoon!!! They also had a weird taste to them. Can't identify what the spice was, but we like pretty basic southern cooking with no strange tasting ingredients. Couldn't eat it. The biscuits were good, but DH hates cheese and they had a lot of cheese in them (but that is just his own preferences). I thought they were good. The hush puppies also tasted funny with another spice we didn't like. They have dipping sauces which we did not care for. Others may like them, but again we were expecting great southern recipes and cooking.
So, for us, it's one and done. A lot of it is because we like plain southern cooking, without exotic spices (or any spices except the regular southern ones). That's not their fault. But the potatoes were their fault. I have never seen anything like them before.
I did not check our bill closely, and found out later that we were charged for 2 full meals, instead of one. Lesson learned! Check the bill thoroughly before leaving.
Again, other people seem to like the added spices, etc, so if you really want to try it, I would. Just our experience!
I am just so curious (not knocking at all) what do you consider a regular southern spice?

:laughing: Oh honey! I've eaten at pretty much EVERY fast food location in WDW multiple times so I assure you I know what fast food service is and is not. The details I have provided were EXACTLY what happened to me. And it was a nightmare having 2 little ones with me and no other adult to run interference. I liken BOG lunch to a chain we really like, Pei Wei, where one orders at a register, pays right there and then you find yourself a table & then they bring your food to YOU. In the vast majority of fast food places, you either get your food when you order & pay, or you wait around with your receipt to pick it up. Like Panera Bread, for instance. The difference at Pei Wei is that if they are super busy, there's usually someone to help you FIND a table. Not so at BOG. And this is something they REALLY need to remedy. Just having 2 or 3 CM's to help people find tables would be huge.

BOG is cavernous, with multiple rooms. I have owned a food business, so I know a little about getting people in, taken care of, happy eating, and OUT so you can get the next customers. That's usually the way WDW does it. BOG was truly the worst set up by far I have ever witnessed, anywhere I have ever gone. If your experience was much better, I am truly happy for you. But between the lousy food, non-existent service (had to beg someone to clean the only table I could find in the whole place and it was nasty), and the setup, I will not be returning. I would rather go to Cosmic Ray's madness where at least there is some semblance of order and I'm not paying for much overpriced food.

I can see how it would be inconvenient alone with two small kids, but a lot of your complaints were things that are well advertised about the location (ordering at kiosks, busy restaurant, multiple rooms). It's fine if that's not your thing, but they shouldn't have been surprises.

I can see how it would be inconvenient alone with two small kids, but a lot of your complaints were things that are well advertised about the location (ordering at kiosks, busy restaurant, multiple rooms). It's fine if that's not your thing, but they shouldn't have been surprises.
The only thing that we knew about it was that BOG is busy.

Cinderella’s Castle is beautiful, and I have always felt wonderful eating breakfast there with my family all through my daughter’s various ages and stages. She is about to turn 21, and she still felt special when she saw Princess Aurora, her favorite princess.

Silly me, I expected a similar experience in the Beauty and the Beast castle. The castle is so grand, but the experience is so lacking in comparison to CRT because of the quick service set up. We tried so hard to get a dinner reservation and failed three years in a row. I grabbed the lunch thinking that we could try to overlook the organization of it at lunchtime. I was wrong.

Epic Fail.

I am just so curious (not knocking at all) what do you consider a regular southern spice?

That's a good question! Just S & P and maybe bbq sauce. Nothing that isn't basic. I don't know what was on the potatoes and in the hush puppies, but it was not appealing to US. Also, southern chicken is great deep fried, but a lot of food is deep fried in the south. LOL. We now live in the extreme North with an entirely different atmosphere and type of cooking:)
So, in answer to your question, I guess just basic spices (BBQ is big), nothing adventurous with the spices. I guess I should have said basic spices?
Are you going to try Art Smith's? I hope you do, as most people are more adventurous in their appetites than us. Don't want to steer anyone the wrong way with our experience.

Rose & Crown: it was fine but nothing more.

Coral Reef: bordering on bad. The food and service did not meet the level of the fantastic atmosphere.

That's a good question! Just S & P and maybe bbq sauce. Nothing that isn't basic. I don't know what was on the potatoes and in the hush puppies, but it was not appealing to US. Also, southern chicken is great deep fried, but a lot of food is deep fried in the south. LOL. We now live in the extreme North with an entirely different atmosphere and type of cooking:)
So, in answer to your question, I guess just basic spices (BBQ is big), nothing adventurous with the spices. I guess I should have said basic spices?
Are you going to try Art Smith's? I hope you do, as most people are more adventurous in their appetites than us. Don't want to steer anyone the wrong way with our experience.

I'm an NC girl and love Homecomin, but I completely agree that the spices are not what my grandma used in her kitchen. I noticed lots of basil and tarragon in particular. Grandma had salt/pepper and maybe some paprika, not a whole lot else!

I like the elevated southern cooking but its not everyone's cup of tea.

Ohana breakfast: we were seated 40 minutes passed our reservation time, the first food serving took a very long time to arrive, and the characters rushed through.

She still had a bad experience, though. Those things might be frequently discussed online, but they really are not "advertised." I don't think Disney even gets the "you can now place your order!" emails out with any kind of regularity.

Nobody should have to be a DISboards user and/or make a plan of attack to eat at a QS restaurant :rotfl: & yet that is exactly the scenario Disney has created. I like BOG, most of the time, but if I stood outside for 30 minutes & then came in not knowing what to do, received no guidance, and ate some admittedly mediocre food - I'd be pretty upset!

You are still missing some important points I made, sweetie. I live close to WDW. VERY close. I go OFTEN. I eat at fast food places at WDW a lot. I dine at the nice restaurants a LOT. What I heard MOST about BOG was how FABULOUS it was. I had not yet eaten there, so I was happy to try it with my princesses. Anyone with half of their neurons firing that has visited a Disney theme park even ONE time well knows that it is "busy", and surely knows about ordering at kiosks. I mean, they are everywhere right? Not sure why my experience ruffles your feathers, or why you keep challenging my experience, but I am a well traveled, seasoned traveler, and owned a food business for many years. I know crappy food and non-existent service when I see it. Because you see, even fast food places have at least a modicum of service offerings within the confines of operating a fast food eating establishment. I wish you well, dear Moliphino! :flower3::thanks:

She still had a bad experience, though. Those things might be frequently discussed online, but they really are not "advertised." I don't think Disney even gets the "you can now place your order!" emails out with any kind of regularity.

Nobody should have to be a DISboards user and/or make a plan of attack to eat at a QS restaurant :rotfl: & yet that is exactly the scenario Disney has created. I like BOG, most of the time, but if I stood outside for 30 minutes & then came in not knowing what to do, received no guidance, and ate some admittedly mediocre food - I'd be pretty upset!

THAT was a very, very kind response. Thank you, MKTokyo. :thanks:

I've been wondering the same thing. When I am paying a good amount of money for a meal, I expect it to be at minimum decent. And if it is NOT, I will very politely ask that whatever the problem is be remedied. I have never had a Disney restaurant not apologize and whisk my food away to get a replacement.

I think a lot of people at WDW are more or less on a schedule, and are probably reluctant to wait for the manager to get around to seeing them and then wait around for a new meal to be cooked and served. Especially if other people's meals are okay - they're stuck eating in front of the person with a bad meal, and then waiting while the person with the replacement meal finishes. I can see where a lot of people don't feel it's worth the effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter