Can you believe my "friends" felt it was their business...

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
to tell me I was making a mistake and I was crazy to bring my 2 1/2 year old to WDW?! OK. we PLAN on taking it very easy this trip. At his pace...doing what he wants. We won't miss doing rides he's too young for.... That's not why we're going. This is our first trip with a child and I can't wait to see new magic come alive in a child. :)

Why do they feel it's their business to tell me what I should and should not do. It really bothered me because this was OUR choice to do this for our 10 year anniversary. We love our son and didn't want to take off on a trip without him.

I didn't even offer up the info that we were going..I just asked one of them about one of the airposrt terminals here and she asked why I was asking. Honestly, I did NOT expect the response to "We're going to WDW next year" to be "WHY would you want to do that?!"

I'm bummed. Anyone with words of support please?
:(

We took our DS's for the first time when they had just turned 5 & 3. we had a ball!! That was 4 years ago. We are going again this year and they can't wait. they are trying to explain it to their 3 yr. old little brother.

I say go and have a ball!! it is your vacation and your family. Don't worry about anybody else's opinion.

BTW - My brother feels the same way as your friend. His daughter is 4 1/2, he will not even consider taking her to WDW until she is 8.

Oh well, they don't know what they are missing! WDW with a pre-schooler is truly magical.

We just returned from a wonderful week at the WL with our 20 month old. We had a lot of people also telling us we were crazy, that he wouldn't remember it, etc. My husband and I will remember everything and that is all that matters. We all had a great time, and there was nothing greater than seeing our little guy get so excited when he saw Tigger, Pooh and all the characters. We went on nearly all the rides with him, and we all had a great time. For me, the best times were going to character breakfasts and enjoying the hotel. DS was so excited swimming in the pool, running around the lobby and riding the monorail. These moments were worth everything for me. Don't listen to anyone. Just go and have a great time with your family.
My husband has a great comeback for everyone who tells us that ds will not remember it. He just tells them we will keep him in the house until he is 5, since he won't remember playgrounds, the zoo or preschool. Why bother???

Don't listen to them! There are tons of people that bring their young kids to Disney World. My parents brought me when I was 2 years old, and another time when I was 4 and my sister was 1 1/2.

I think it's the best time to bring kids to Disney when they're younger! Especially seeing the excitement on their faces! I've watched videos from Disney when my sister and I were younger, and you could tell that we absolutely loved it!

Well here is what happen to us!
We went to WDW in oct 99 & feb 01 with our little one( with a trip in between without him), when we got home in feb my sister in law (outlaw) said to us why don't you wait and take him when he will remember. Well He remembers dancing with Mickey and Animal Kingdom will forever be known to us as the Boo Boo park because he fell and got a boo boo before we got in the Park, plus he had his first hair cut in the MK and they gave him Mouse ears that say My First Hair Cut !
So I say to tell anyone who feels is there Bus to tell not to take a young one to get LOST. As long as you know they can not keep up as much and you plan around that
WHo cares what others think !
Parker has been to WDW before he was out, and at 11 months,, 2years 2 months and going back for his 3rd Birthday Dec 10.

Stephanie,

First off try not to take it too personal. Even "friends" manage to say dumb things sometimes and I am sure they did not mean for it to hurt your feelings. Remember you may slip up some time and say the "wrong" thing. That said...

You and your 2 1/2 old are going to have the time of your lives. I would not doubt if it will be your favorite trip thus far. We went to WDW with a 2 1/2 year old one year (my neice). She is now 11 and says she still remembers certain things. We wonder if she actually does or if she remembers the video of the trip that she watched a million times since. Either way, it is a great memory. In fact they are going back next Spring!

Anyway, not only did she have a great time and do fantastic (we did not take it easy), but she loved it!! All her favorites were "rides" that guide books and the like said to avoid. Her favorite park was not MK but EPCOT. Her favorite ride was "The Land" and so I stood in line with her 2 more times while everyone went shopping. I learned more about alternative ways to grow food than I cared too!:D

This was not a fluke thing. We took my son for a one day trip to EPCOT in 1996...he was just over 6 months old. We drove 20 hours from Cleveland to Orlando...on our way to visit in-laws. It was cold (50 degrees and windy) and we could not have had a better time. He smiled the entire time and even though he understood nothing he had a great time. My favorite picture of him ever was taken on that trip.

Than 2 years ago we took my son and daughter....than 3 1/2 and just turned 1. We spend a week in an off site hotel. We did not take it easy that trip either...hard to do when off site. We had an excellent time and noone wanted to go home.

There is something that cannot compare to the majic you see in the eyes of someone who truly believes that is Mickey Mouse and not a person in a costume. (oops...hope you knew that ;) )

Needless to say lots of "friends" told us we were nuts. I told them they were the foolish ones. The kids are young once and I don't want to wait to let them enjoy Disney. So what if they do not remember it...which they might...I remember going to Germany when I was 2. I will remember it and we will have lots and lots of pictures!:)

Don't let them get you down. You will have a great time. There is noone too young to enjoy Disney

BTW...we are going back Sept 2002 with 7, almost 5, and 2 1/2 year old...so there!! Tell your friends that...and I can tell you 100 reasons WHY!!:D

Have fun

Lisa

If you want a short simple answer that isn't probablly the truth for you but is the truth just tell them you need the vacation and he is free untill 3 so you figured you better go now.

So now to help settle your mind...My DD was 2 1/2 on our trip. It was pure magic waching her take all of WDW in. In fact my DH said the price of the entire trip was worth the expression on her face when she saw piglet at Crystal Palace. It was our 3rd day and she had seen several characters but when she saw piglet she was in shock. It is so magical when thye believe all hte characters are real, that tinkerbell really flies and that you are really at Mickeys house. The key as you said is to plan around their schedual. The main thing I always tell anyone debating taking their small child is just remember this is the same child you have at home, don't expect anything out of them that they will not do at home (skip a nap, sit quietly through a 10 course meal etc).

To make it a little easier on you my suggestions are
Take your own stroller

Stay on site (great for naps ). we never went back to the room at WDW but we did just a few weeks ago at universal. DD looked at me in line for one of the rides and said I want to go home and go to bed, so that is just what we did (well not home but the room). She laid on the bed for an hour watching tv and jumped up and said I want to go ride now, so off we went.

Plan one sit down meal a day preferrable a character meal so he will be entertained while all of you get to rest and recharge.

Let him enjoy what he wants to enjoy..so what my DD nver rodethe carrosel, she didn't want to she'd rather ride pooh over and over. Both kids loved the play areas. At MGM even my thrill seeker DS wanted to return to the park for the HISTK playground more than he wanted to do TOT and RnR again. So what if you just paid almost $50 per person to watch him slide, he is enjoying himself and that is what is important.

You are going to have a blast and so is your ds!! If these friends have never taken young children to WDW what makes them think they know? We just got back less than a month ago with our 2.5 year old daughter and she asks every day to go back to ride Mickey's monorail. I was on a website the other day and they had a picture of Cinderella's castle and she came flying up beside me to tell me it was Cindy's castle and we would going back to visit around Christmas. (which we have already booked) She remembers so much and she hasn't even seen our videos yet! Don't let this bother you or hurt your feelings. You know your child better than anyone and if you want to take him, go for it, you won't regret it!!!

Have a great time
CatOne:bounce: :bounce:

We took our oldest daughter (now 4) for her first trip to WDW when she was just about 9 weeks old. Sure, that trip was more for us than her, but we've been back several times since then with her and her sister who is 2. In fact, we will return in November and we'll have another daughter who will be about 13 weeks old. The memories that we all share are priceless and our girls remember much more than we thought they would. And, like a previous post stated, they're free up to 3 years of age, so it doesn't really cost you anything.

We try to slow down our pace a bit, and we usually manage to see everything we want to, with a couple of "quiet" days spent at the hotel pool. Don't listen to the naysayers. Go and enjoy yourselves and be sure to take lots and lots of pictures.

Ppony - Some people just don't get Disney, and all of us have friends who fall into that category. It's not their fault. Just think how lucky all of us are!

We first took DS when he was 2 1/2 and we had a great time. I was also 7 months pregnant, so daily naps in the afternoon were a must, but the slower pace was good for everyone. He was able to go on most of the rides and really enjoyed them. The character meals were a hit after he had warmed up a bit, and he did very well in restaurants and shows for the most part. In fact, although he was at a huge tantrum-throwing stage, he didn't have a single meltdown at Disney. (Actually, he saved it for the plane trip home, but that's another story). We have wonderful video footage from that trip, with DS on the tram ride from the parking lot saying very solemnly "this is my favourite ride" and then on the monorail "this is my favourite ride". In fact, just about everything we tried was his favourite ride. I think one reason we enjoyed it so much was that we kept him pretty much on his home schedule (up early, 2 hour nap in the afternoon, and early to bed).

If you and your DH want to go, pay no attention to those negative friends and co-workers and have a wonderful time. The memories you'll have will be priceless.

I am having the same problem with my family. My DD will be almost 2 1/2 and everyone say that she is too young but they think nothing of her and the family going on a transatlantic cruise when she is 3. After a tiugh decision WDW won out. I just plan to take it easy and enjoy the ride

Your dd will have a good time. :)

We took my daughter when she was 3 and 18 years later she still remembers some of it. She had a great time and I have some wonderful pictures and memories of her first time.

I am now wanting to take the twins next year and they will have just turned 3. I hear the same thing and all I tell them (with a big smile) is I took their mother when she was 3 and she had a great time.

So go and you and your family have a wonderful time. :earsgirl:

We took my DS at 6 months and are returnig at 1 yr. I can't tell you how many people have said to me why he won't remeber. Well me and my DH will remeber! To these people I now pull out my disney pictures I have a great one of DS aand donald looks professional. Most of the time they say how cute and no more about how young he is. Go have a good time and may i suggest do wait in line to see the characters the pictures I got will warm my heart when I am in the retirement home.

I'll keep this short because you can see from all the other posts that you will have a great time.

I don't want to offend anyone, but IMO it is your friends that don't have a clue. Those who wait till their kids are older to take them have missed some truely wonderful family vacation experiences that can never be recaptured. Unfortunately, some may not have the opportunity to bring their young kids for medical or other reason - but if you can bring them I think you should. We have been to WDW every year (some twice) since 1991. It is our trips from the last 2 years (with DD) that have been the most magical. Seeing WDW through their eyes and watching their reactions is amazing. As long as you take it easy, go at your child's pace, take frequent breaks, go back to the hotel for naps, etc you will be fine.

Our DD has been 4 times in 2 years (she is 2.5 now, first trip at 7 mos). We will be going this Nov and bringing our DD and DS (due in July) who will be 4.5 mos. Our DD remembers A LOT from her last couple of trips and frequently talks about going to Disney World.

Don't worry about your friends opinions. Go and have a great time.

So much for keeping this short but I couldn't help myself.

DH, DS (2 1/2) and I just returned from WDW and DS had a blast. He hasn't stopped talking about the trip yet! I was told practically the same things also by some of my co-workers - "he won't remember anything about the trip", "you won't have fun with a child so young", "you won't be able to do everything you want to do, etc"...... We planned our days aroung our DS schedule (naps, medication, etc.) and being at WDW for 1 1/2 wks, was able to do everything the entire family wanted to do. We had a magical trip and DS says he wants to go back again.:bounce:

You guys really made me feel so much better.:pinkbounc I feel very confident that we'll have a blast.

They don't know what they're missing!

Thanks a billion!!!!!!

Don't worry about it - no one knows your child better than you! We went when my daughter was 3.5 and my son was only 7 mos. old. Of course, he won't remember it but he still enjoyed himself. We have the most beautiful photo of him reaching out to grab Pluto at a character breakfast.

My sister went to WDW at the beginning of May with her DH and DS (2 1/2). Her DS had a ball, even now he still takes about it and what characters he saw.

My opinion is that WDW is what you make of it and how you want to spend your vacation. If a child is "to young", what is the reason to have it. All kids of all ages love Mickey and friends and to be able to take your kids there and to see their faces, just one day would be worth all the effort.

Just go to WDW with your family and have the best time of your life. Then go back when they are older and do it again. Life is about what makes you happy and it is too short to worry about what other peoples opinions are. Take their advise then decide on your own what to do with it. Everyone has their own opinion, sometime it right and sometimes its wrong.

Have a great trip and I will also be planning to have a great trip when my family goes in November.

I'm taking my 2 1/2 year old in 23 days!! I don't care what anyone says, they will not spoil it! This is her second trip, the first one was right after she turned 1 year old. And she "remembers" that trip too (we've looked at the scrapbook so many times, she thinks she remembers it!) She loves seeing pictures of herself with Minnie and Mickey! It's worth it and they are free!! LOL!

Hi, If someone asks me why I am doing something, and I don't feel the need to justify my actions to them...I just shrug my shoulders and say...."cuz I feel like it" ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter