Can you believe my "friends" felt it was their business...

I am sure your friends were not trying to be hurtfull. They just have a different opinion then you do. Personally I would never go to a amusement park of any kind until my children were old enough to ride the rides. But that just works better for me and my family. I wouldn't let it bother you just laugh it off and move on. After all its all about you and your family, and if it works for you it dosnt matter what anyone else says. Have a great time and don't let it stress you. °o°

Mickey loves you no matter what age you are!

I'm so glad to hear all the great experiences people have had.

So to each and EVERY one of you.. a huge thanks!

:p

It's going to be SO hard to wait a whole year and (let's see..1, 2, 3, 4) 5 months. We'll probably come back and spend a couple hundred on developing pictures!

Hope you all have great trips when you go!

Ask your friend if her child remembers his first birthday party or Christmas or Easter or Halloween? The answer is probably not. But no one would criticize you for making those days special. We all celebrate these events in a big way with our infants and toddlers anyway because we want to share happy times with them. To be able to bring joy, fun and happiness to our children is a true gift. Your toddler may not remember seeing Mickey but he/she will "remember" feeling happy and loved.

A toddler learns from all experiences including travel.

You are teaching your child that there is a whole big world out there beyond their backyard.

You are teaching your child that families can be together and be happy and enjoy each other.

You are exposing your child to new experiences, maybe new foods or people from different cultures.

Go and have a good time.

Don't worry about it at all. Everyone is different and people do not enjoy the same things at the same times. If you told me that I had to take an infant or a small toddler to WDW I would tell you to go ahead and shoot me. There is no way I would do it. That would not be enjoyable for me. I took my kids when they were older. That was our choice. It does not mean that it is the correct choice for all families.

People thought I was crazy to bring my 4 yo to Disney last year (I am currently planning another trip for next year yahoo) My answer to the relatives - Gee you rent a cottage every year up at Hampton Beach NH, now don't get me wrong Hampton is nice, it is a 40 minute ride, but you pay $1500 a week. Gee I could spend that in Disney in the middle of the Winter, snow flying I am lounging by the pool, with the 4 yo. Stops them short. Friends - Gee you spend $1200 a week down the Cape. Think of Florida in the winter, daily entertainment. Waited on hand and foot. Not cooking for everyone and cleaning a cottage. Stops them short. Their children will not remember either, but I would be willing to bet a Child remembering Mickey. Janis

Ppony! Have fun! Your DS will love it. You and your DH know him better than anyone. Who cares what anybody else thinks? :D

I agree with everyone else. Take your 2.5 year old. We have gone at least two Disney trips a year since my eldest was 5 and my youngest was a year. Six trips in all and we are planning another. I have had some of the most "magical" moments watching the joy in my son's faces. THAT truly makes the trip for me not if they will remember this or that. I remember when we first took the littlest. He would see the tram coming, squeal and yell.....THE TRAM THE TRAM!!!! It was so cute to see him do that. LOL he still cries when we get to the TTC and have to get off. He just turned three and I hear daily....When are we going to DisIney Wowld to see Mikka Mouse???

I have to agree that some people just don't "get" a Disney trip. I have a problem with my coworker saying things like. Why do you ALWAYS go to Disney. WHY don't you go somewhere else. Ummmmm maybe because we LOVE Disney and what better place to take a child. I certainly never tire of Disney and neither do my children. It truly is the perfect vacation spot for us. Now that we stay onsite its even better!

PonyPal.....as you can see, you are NOT alone! I'm taking my 2.5 DS in November....and like you, have gotten some negative opinions from folks on him "being too young".

You know, as we all know in our hearts, there is no age criteria for Disney....it's a place where magic happens @ any age.

Enjoy!

Here's one more affirmation.

We just got back from taking our 2 1/2 year old on her first trip. It was also my husband's first trip to WDW--and the last time I had been there MK was the only park!;) We also wondered if we were doing the right thing (in other words, would this be a big fiasco!)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard the same thing, but I'm not so diplomatic in answering them ("mind your own d*** business" or something worse is my usual response--or, "you spend your money, and I'll spend mine"--if I am feeling somewhat polite .)

Well, we had the time of our lives. We have done expensive vacations at the beach, etc., but WDW was one place where we could all do things together--and the activities will change and grow as she does. There was plenty of rides and activities to keep her busy now, and there will be plenty to do and experience as she gets older.

Yes, our daughter loved the rides, the characters, the sheer excitement of it all; but really, it was about 7 solid days of being a family--shielded from the everyday world by the magic of Disney. That's something you just can't put a pricetag on.

Will we do it again--you bet. My very conservative midwestern husband thought it was such a wonderful experience he plunked down the cash to join DVC so we could go once or twice every year--and that's saying a lot!

We'll be back in October for her third birthday.

So please, take your child, take your time, and enjoy being together. (and give those naysayers my email address. I'll be happy to handle them for you;) )

Trudy

We took our DS the first time a few months shy of 3 years old, and we all had a blast. It was a short trip (tagged a 3-day weekend onto the end of a business trip) so went back for more 1 year later, then again to celebrate his 5th birthday, and yet again just before his 7th. Always new experiences (as he get's taller and older we get to experience new rides, etc.) Obviously we've had great times or wouldn't be heading back each year.

On the other side, my sister would NEVER think of bringing a child so young on such an elaborate vacation (gosh forbid) so they headed to the world last year when their children were age 6 and 8 - they had a miserable time, the kids didn't want to wait in any lines over 10 minutes, and "wouldn't let" their Mom or Dad do any rides without them, all they wanted to do was go back to the hotel pool and swim. They never headed to any parks before noon (had to swim first) and were back at the hotels by 3 each afternoon (lines too long.) They won't be going back for awhile, if ever.....

I figure we eased our son into it at an early age, and he's a great traveler, knows how to stay entertained in lines, thinks vacations are when you go to bed earlier so we can get up early, get a full day in, and if it's not too late, a swim in the hotel pool before bed.

chells

ppony- I'm like you, our children go everywhere with us. Why because we LOVE there company. My children are alot older (16 & 13) but from the time they were little we have always taken them! My husband and I would never think of going on vacation without them. We have always loved there company and don't feel like its a aggravation. I guess this isn't right for some people but some people truly enjoy it! Speaking now that next year my oldest will be in college I can truly say I WOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED A THING. My husband and I still get our adult time together and have new and different dreams for our life after raising children. For our 20th anniversary we are going with the kids to DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!! As I'm sure you will do just keep it at his pace and ENJOY!

just an observation, Please this is not a flame to working mothers.....
I have noticed that the more likely a family is to do "family" vacation the more likely it is that the mother is either a SAHM or at least is not a career woman first. Or the more the mother (working or SAHM ) volenteers at schools, scouts etc the more likely they are to take a family vacation with their childrne and look at it as a pleasent experience. The more career minded and the less time the parent spents with their child the less likely they are to want to spend vacations with their children. It really seems to less time a parent spends with their children the more the parents complains about
things like waiting in lines, working around the kids scheduals etc. This really blows my mind becasue you would think it would be the parents that are around their children the most that would want a vacation that does not center around the kids.

This is from my own experience.. and I have seen one family go form one to the other. A cousin of mine was more into her career than her kids and she and her DH took kid free vacations because they needed a break from them. They went gambling in Vegas and Bilioxi ( I forgot the spelling and we even lived there a while LOL)5 or 6 times a year. Now that she is a SAHM and president of the PTA they go to WDW US/IOA. I have seen it in other families too but theirs is the best example.

So next time friends offer their advice..consider the source..are they parents first or Career minded.

Sha_lyn I would have to disagree with you about working parents or working moms. I and my husband are full time work outside the home parents. We would NEVER EVER think of taking a kid free vacation. We love spending time with our kids especially at Disney. We don't think twice about picking up and running to Disney at a moments notice. We have been twice this year already and have been six times since my eldest (7) was five. In fact we had planned on going to Disney for our 18th anniversary in July (had to be put off till August because our youngest needs surgery) We planned a WONDERFUL dinner at Ohana's. When I was asked if I needed childcare for the night my answer was NO. Wherever we go our kids go. It wouldn't be a celebration for us without them. I've met both work outside the home parents and SAHM's that are not "kid oriented" so I really think it depends on the individual person not if they work or don't work. :D

if you read what I said it is more about them putting career first than it is working outside the home. It is the ones who never make time for their children during the week that seem to need the break from them during vacation. I glad you do not put your work first , and I do not fault you for working. I jsut was offeering a bit of advice on taking the source into consideration when somes says what a misserable time parents will have taking young children (or any child, as 1 person said they were told someone said there was nothing at WDW for children to do LOL)to WDW.

I think the major mistake people make when the go to WDW is they don't plan ahead. If you research and read the posts on this site, you and your family will have a wonderful time, no matter how old you child is.

We took our first two kids when they were 4 and 2. They loved it, and we have so many wonderful memories from that trip. That's the trip we decided to become DVC members, because it was so "magical!"

It was so great because I planned ahead. I knew from guidebooks (this site wasn't around then, unfortunately!) and talking to others which rides were the best for a young family. My DH and I decided together that this was a FAMILY trip, and therefore, we wanted to do everything together. The thrill rides would be there next time, and we had so much fun on the other rides we never missed them. (But there is always baby-swapping available if you want to enjoy the rides not appropriate for your child!)

We tood advantage of EE because the kids were up early anyway. We stayed until 11 or 12, when it was too hot, and left for a nice dip in the pool and a nap. (I even took advantage of naptime - that heat can really zap you!) We'd go back in the evenings and enjoy the parades or fireworks, but not every evening. We paced ourselves. If we had a late night the night before, we'd do a waterpark or just play at the resort pool the next day. Then the kids were ready for a park the day after again.

We set limits for how much we would spend on souvenirs, and made sure they understood. We took water bottles and snacks, and had lots of breaks. We kept both kids in strollers to reserve their energy.

We never had one tantrum or meltdown - that alone makes a trip magical! I can't tell you how many kids we see melting down after a long day in the heat, and their senses being overloaded. You know your child best. Just make sure you don't push him beyond what he can take, and you will have a wonderful trip to tell your friends about. Chances are, they'll be jealous and want to know your secrets! Can't wait to hear all about it!

We took our son on his first WDW trip in 10/99 when he was 2 1/2 yrs old, and it was the best trip ever! He was so in awe of everything that seeing it thru his eyes was something we will always cherish. He has since been back 10/00 and 6/01. NOW that he's been there and seen that, he has quite an opinion on what he wants to see and when!!! ENJOY your trip and never mind your "friends"-we had the same said to us,a nd you know what? We didn't care!!!

We took our son to WDW when he was 19 months and again when he was 2 1/2. We had a great time on both trips! Seeing that Disney magic through the eyes of a child is a wonderful experience.

Just make sure that you are careful about what rides you tackle and in what order. Don't go on anything too dark or scary at first - it could ruin them for the whole trip. Take it slow & easy - Dumbo, the Carousel, Pooh, then work your way up..... The Unofficial Guide has information on the scare factor of the rides - it is a great resource when traveling with small children.

We are going again in October - and our kids will be 4 1/2 & 2 - and we can't wait!

Personally, we chose to go to WDW when our son was 7 and tall enough to ride the rides he wanted to. We know how frustrating it is for him to not be able to ride something he wants because of the height requirements. Along with that, he has ADHD and was rather difficult to keep up with in crowds and impossible to keep still in a restaurant. For these reasons, we decided waiting for an older age was the best decision for us and for the enjoyment of those that would have been forced to be around us. I would never tell anyone not to take a small child to WDW. I would personally not want to carry a stroller around, but if others want to, that is their business. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Don't let what others say bring you down.

Don't pay any attention to your friends! You'll have a wonderful time!

We went to WDW in 1995 when our DS was 2 1/2YO. We went again in 1998, when he was 5, and our DD was 2 1/2YO. We're going again in November, when our DS will be 8, our DD 5, and our youngest DD 2 1/2YO! See a pattern???

They're completely free if they're under three! So, you go have a great time and save some money, too!

I still love to watch the videos of my DS when he saw Winnie the Pooh walking toward him. It was really magical!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Beth

Will your son remember this trip? Probably not. Will he have fun? You bet ya. Will you remember this trip? Yes, for the rest of your life.

Would your friends ever enjoy WDW? I doubt it... but thats their loss.

PS Just got back from 10 days with a 1 year old (2nd trip, 1st one still in mom), 3 Year old (3rd trip, 1st one in mom) and a 5 year old. (3rd trip, plus one to Disneyland when she was 5 months.) Theres nothing better than watching your little ones interact with the characters

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter