Can we talk about grocery prices? Who wants to guess $

I don't bother shopping around for cheaper produce. I went to Aldi today, bought

1 doz eggs (cheap protein!)
2.25 lb red grapes (most expensive thing on my list)
soft cream cheese
2 avocado
4 large tomatoes
shredded cheddar
3 red/yellow peppers
3 green peppers
bag of spinach
4 bananas
pint mushrooms
1 lb brocoli crowns

$28.35

We have a spinach and mushroom frittata for dinner regularly, in addition to beans and rice and peppers in soft tortillas. I buy my chicken and ground beef at Costco in large quantities
In PA I lived around the corner from an Aldi and the prices for a really wide array of organic and interesting foods were notable. The egg prices and the produce, like the bagged mini peppers were enough to keep me stopping in for a very long time. Also, the $4 fresh flowers became a habit for me such a nice way to brighten up a cold winter :)

We spent over $100 at Shop Rite yesterday ( the receipt said we saved $40 with specials and coupons) and have an order we‘ll buy at WalMart tomorrow that should come in around $50. We are two adults and an adult senior dog. I do make from scratch 1/2 of what the dog eats. He needs a prescription dog food. The balance of fresh and the prescription has worked for him.

Food is expensive! No doubt about it.
I miss my Shop Rite so much, in PA I always shopped the Purdue sales and would keep stuff in my freezer that would last quite a while plus the Can Can sale was just so wonderful too.

In Mass we have Market Basket but it is a hike to get there and I just don't like the meats at all, I keep trying but so far a swing and a miss every time.

I'm responsible for the grocery shopping in my family, which has gotten harder since I changed my eating habits. Fresh produce is outrageous, and I go through a lot of it because it makes up the bulk of my meals. I used to go exclusively to ShopRite, but now I shop at Aldi or Sav-A-Lot. Sometimes both in one trip. My family of five complained at the beginning that the food would be terrible, but I stuck to my guns and now everyone has calmed down.
Good for you!

It is so tough to make a change in diet, mostly because there are start up costs, it takes perseverance and so much patience. I did it when DH rolled in with a heart friendly list from the Dr, changed things and it was a pain but I got used to adapting:)

I think you mentioned you are near Philly, I think there are a few Trader Joes now, they are really great with pricing for staples, produce and organic items of all kinds and if you get to one the Soyaki is great for marinating all sort of meats and as a stir fry sauce. Many family members love their frozen pre made stuff, I can't have it because of sodium content but everyone else seems happy. The Ghost Pepper Chips are pretty cool even if I can only manage 1 chip lol

As far as organic, it is not OK that people are being taught it is luxurious to not eat pesticides and genetically modified foods we did not evolve with, I don't accept the idea that organic is fancy. Humans evolved alongside our food and even if people don't accept evolution (I do but I understand the position) there must be some ringing of a bell that we have existed alongside our plants for ages and so when we eat stuff our bodies are like, "OK there blueberry, I know what to do with you," and when we eat some synthetic goo covered in pesticides that looks like a blueberry or whatever our bodies say, "huh, what the?" and become inflammatory.
Generally speaking, even products not branded or labeled as organic, meet organic standards. That is pretty much the standard now. A friend's parents have an apple orchard and the only difference between their organic apples and the apples they sell that they don't label as organic is 50 cents a pound.

As far as organic, it is not OK that people are being taught it is luxurious to not eat pesticides and genetically modified foods we did not evolve with, I don't accept the idea that organic is fancy. Humans evolved alongside our food and even if people don't accept evolution (I do but I understand the position) there must be some ringing of a bell that we have existed alongside our plants for ages and so when we eat stuff our bodies are like, "OK there blueberry, I know what to do with you," and when we eat some synthetic goo covered in pesticides that looks like a blueberry or whatever our bodies say, "huh, what the?" and become inflammatory.

Organic shouldn't only be for upper middle class people, I reject that idea.

Oh, and BTW I can afford it, it doesn't mean I am utterly blind to the troubles of others and how things weigh on them, that would make me callous at best and a psychopath at worst, and I am neither.
the issue i have with organic is what is available here goes bad before it can be used (talking within 24 hour for many items). i don't know what the deal is-i can grow the same organically/pick at the same time/store in the same manner but the store bought begins decomposing immediatly.

i detest food waste so i can't bring myself to buy it.
WINNER within $10!
i'm shocked esp. since people seem to feel the store you used is kinda of spendy. there is NO WAY you would have gotten out of our least expensive option for shopping those items for nearly that low of a price (esp. with anything organic on the list)-and we are considered to be in a lower cost of living region for our state

Last edited:
I find Wegmans to be comparable to ShopRite or Giant for standard everyday items. Their milk prices are the lowest around. Family packs of boneless chicken breast and 85% ground beef are good values.

On the other hand, Wegmans prices for in store bakery, prepared foods, and seafood are borderline outrageous.

Generally speaking, even products not branded or labeled as organic, meet organic standards. That is pretty much the standard now. A friend's parents have an apple orchard and the only difference between their organic apples and the apples they sell that they don't label as organic is 50 cents a pound.
I'll pay the extra to not eat roundup, but I don't feel anyone should be paying extra to avoid it though

https://rodaleinstitute.org/blog/wa...ct with the USDA,no RoundUp and no glyphosate.

Organic Basics​

usda organic icon
A product with the USDA Certified Organic seal must be grown or produced with no synthetic herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers—and that means no RoundUp and no glyphosate.

But organic is more than that. Organic not only bans synthetic herbicides like RoundUp—it prohibits the use of hundreds of chemical additives, preservatives, colorings, and more. See a full list of chemicals you’ll never have to eat if you buy organic here.

Also, the $4 fresh flowers became a habit for me such a nice way to brighten up a cold winter :)
I miss my Shop Rite so much,

I would miss my Shoprite so much too! ❤️ Treated myself to flowers from there, normally 6.99 a bunch or 3 for $15.

On Nov 22nd I bought yellow mums, lilies and greens:
IMG_5287.jpeg

On Dec 6th - 2 weeks later:
IMG_5320.jpeg

Definitely got my $15’s worth. They smelled fabulous.

Just got back from Wegmans, the details of my mini cart of ingredients with only one premade thing:
fresh honeydew
fresh pineapple
small mushrooms
portabella mushrooms
about 12 bananas for home made smoothies
a whole roast chicken
pack of 4 steaks
large package of raw chicken thighs
large package of chicken breast
bag of raw frozen shrimp
organic milk
organic half and half
package of 18 eggs
2 packages of cooked plantains with one for lunch and one for dinner
2 boxes of those Kleenex pop up hand towels because they are more hygienic
1 box snack size baggies and 3 bags because I'm paying for those now

Hint, I have had car payments that match
Without knowing the weight of what you got, or cut of steak, hard to say. Top sirloin steak is $8.99 a pound here and filet is $29.99 a pound.

I'll pay the extra to not eat roundup, but I don't feel anyone should be paying extra to avoid it though

https://rodaleinstitute.org/blog/wait-organic-farmers-use-pesticides/#:~:text=A product with the USDA,no RoundUp and no glyphosate.

Organic Basics​

usda organic icon
A product with the USDA Certified Organic seal must be grown or produced with no synthetic herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers—and that means no RoundUp and no glyphosate.

But organic is more than that. Organic not only bans synthetic herbicides like RoundUp—it prohibits the use of hundreds of chemical additives, preservatives, colorings, and more. See a full list of chemicals you’ll never have to eat if you buy organic here.
I completely understand what organic is. Just understand that most items that are NOT labeled organic may very well meet the standard to be labeled organic.

I've resigned myself to grocery shopping as a necessary evil and just pay what is owed.

Dh and I did all the save $ tricks when we had 4 kids at home.

Now we get what we want/ need and try to be as healthy as possible and waste as little as possible.

I'll do meat math and look for the lowest weight meat that meets my needs and buy that.

Do I need a 3 pound bag of apples? Maybe 3 apples instead. Etc

Good for you!

It is so tough to make a change in diet, mostly because there are start up costs, it takes perseverance and so much patience. I did it when DH rolled in with a heart friendly list from the Dr, changed things and it was a pain but I got used to adapting:)

I think you mentioned you are near Philly, I think there are a few Trader Joes now, they are really great with pricing for staples, produce and organic items of all kinds and if you get to one the Soyaki is great for marinating all sort of meats and as a stir fry sauce. Many family members love their frozen pre made stuff, I can't have it because of sodium content but everyone else seems happy. The Ghost Pepper Chips are pretty cool even if I can only manage 1 chip lol
Thank you! It was hard changing my diet because I was the only one in the house doing so. Nobody else has changed, so I have to buy two sets of food. One for them and one for me. *That's* where all the money is going.

My sister keeps trying to get me to go to Trader Joe's. There's one not too far from where I live in NJ. Maybe now I'll let her. :) Also, my sister was just diagnosed with Celiac disease, so we've been on the hunt for gluten-free stuff that actually tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Gluten-free foods are sinfully expensive.

i'm shocked esp. since people seem to feel the store you used is kinda of spendy. there is NO WAY you would have gotten out of our least expensive option for shopping those items for nearly that low of a price (esp. with anything organic on the list)-and we are considered to be in a lower cost of living region for our state
I was sticking to favorites that I know are on the lower side for good quality at Wegmans. While I do lean in on Trader Joes for produce and Walmart for canned and boxed goods I do prefer Wegmans for certain meats. In particular, at Wegmans the family size chicken thighs both around 4 lbs thigh and 7 lbs breast both for under $15 each, the steaks deal is really good too.

I did just join Costco and have been liking them for chuck for pot roast, stew meat, steak tips/flap steak, the wagu ground beef and flank steak. Only think is a shopper needs to make a big outlay for the savings to kick in but I like it for our weekly Family dinners. Going to use them for saving over $200 on new tires this week so we'll see how that goes.

I have favorites everywhere I go

Today at ShopRite I bought their fajita meal deal. Buy skirt steak at $5.99 lb and get the following free:
A red pepper
Bunch of cilantro (they only have organic)
A lime
10 pack of tortillas
Pack of seasoning mix

(Had to pay for a sweet onion)

I found a package of skirt steak that was just over a pound. Most of the packages were 1.5 lbs or more.

Tomorrow’s dinner

Thank you! It was hard changing my diet because I was the only one in the house doing so. Nobody else has changed, so I have to buy two sets of food. One for them and one for me. *That's* where all the money is going.

My sister keeps trying to get me to go to Trader Joe's. There's one not too far from where I live in NJ. Maybe now I'll let her. :) Also, my sister was just diagnosed with Celiac disease, so we've been on the hunt for gluten-free stuff that actually tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Gluten-free foods are sinfully expensive.
I think you'll like it if you give it a try, it is like Aldi in that everything is very much their own.

Trader Joes has so much Gluten free it's silly, there are all sorts of crackers and such, I do low sodium so I really love their puffed rice crackers for anything I would use a cracker, had them with chicken salad yesterday. I love their jicma rounds for taco, although nothing wrong with their organic taco shells. Also really like the cauliflower rounds for burgers, they are a bit flimsy so it takes a little effort and I toast them after thawing maybe 5 min so I can get them apart and into the toaster. Their fresh stir fry mix is great, Eggs and olive oil cheaper and all their produce is good prices across the board plus they also have inexpensive small bouquets of fresh flowers that I love. One by me has Ezekiel bread, it is around $4 but keeps well in the fridge. If you are aiming at healthy it really helps :)

I have favorites at all the stores in rotation

Today at ShopRite I bought their fajita meal deal. Buy skirt steak at $5.99 lb and get the following free:
A red pepper
Bunch of cilantro (they only have organic)
A lime
10 pack of tortillas
Pack of seasoning mix

(Had to pay for a sweet onion)

I found a package of skirt steak that was just over a pound. Most of the packages were 1.5 lbs or more.

Tomorrow’s dinner
A sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of Daisy, and you're in business!

The family size pack of four steaks were $38 which is a lot but I only do it maybe once a month, in my mind one steak meal at a restaurant is over $40 so for 4 people it is solid and generally makes 2 meals, first on the grill and second with toasty garlic bread.

The Shrimp were $22 I think and since we do Lent it can be a solid add on for pesto with some kind of pasta or shrimp tacos, leftover shrimp is wonderful with some plain rice made with fresh ginger and garlic in the pot as it cooks.
I look at the sales ad each week and use that to help plan my menu for the next week. I only buy steak and shrimp when it’s on sale. I buy Laura’s Lean ground beef and chicken breast ar full price because we have ground beef and chicken at least once a week. Chuck roast is on sale, so we will have pot roast next week. Fresh fruits and veggies pretty much get bought at whatever cost. Although I do try to buy “in-season” when possible. Looking forward to asparagus and spring greens soon.

You are doing an amazing thing. It's not easy to change your diet especially on your own in a house full of people! You should be so proud of yourself.

Trader Joe's is great. I wish we had one closer to us. You should definitely at least check it out. Even if it isn't in your regular rotation might be a nice place to pick up a few things every so often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter