Can we please watch SpongeBob???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry a Roku stick on all my travels. Have never had a problem with Disney resort wifi (although we always stay at BCV so I can't speak for anywhere else.) I'd never depend on any hotel having any sort of TV programming. They all have different deals, arrangements, etc. for all sorts of different reasons. So my suggestion is to always carry your favorite streaming device. They're certainly cheap enough nowadays

I have to say I’m always find it refreshing and am and not at all unhappy that my kids can’t watch spongebob and the other dumb shows they are addicted to on Nick! So while they wish Disney had nick, I like that they have to watch Disney cartoons if they want to watch any :D
This was part of what finally sold me on buying DVC - the endless stream of cartoons are in a separate room! It's outrageously expensive, but there's only so many cartoons I can handle, so comparing the buying cost vs. therapy cost, it was close enough :laughing:

I don't understand why anyone would actually want to watch spongebob. I have never let my kids watch it. It's right up there with Caillou with obnoxious tv programming.

I also never expect hotels to have a great range of programming available. Usually it's basic cable.

OP, really!!!!
Others; What's with the hate of Spongebob? Yes it's annoying and 1 episode is all I can handle, especially his laugh. But if you really think about it, he's a character that is always happy (which is probably why so many grumpy people do not like it) and he just wants to have fun, and no matter what situation he faces, he still remains happy and positive and in the end prevails. That is what I explained to my DD's. Of course, they also watch Disney movies but I am not naive to think their perfect either, with them always killing off the mom's, kidnapping or how a "strangers" kiss = true love...

OP, really!!!!
Others; What's with the hate of Spongebob? Yes it's annoying and 1 episode is all I can handle, especially his laugh. But if you really think about it, he's a character that is always happy (which is probably why so many grumpy people do not like it) and he just wants to have fun, and no matter what situation he faces, he still remains happy and positive and in the end prevails. That is what I explained to my DD's. Of course, they also watch Disney movies but I am not naive to think their perfect either, with them always killing off the mom's, kidnapping or how a "strangers" kiss = true love...
This is my issue: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/is-spongebob-squarepants-bad-for-children/
The show actually makes it more difficult to learn.

I thought Spongebob was this generations Ren and Stimpy, i.e. something for college kids to smoke weed to.

OP, really!!!!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Welln...slower-thinkers-study-finds/story?id=14482447

To be fair, lots of fast paced frenetic cartoons have the same effect on young children, but I'm pretty sure just one episode of Spongebob affected me as an adult. :teeth:

I'm a 42 year old man and I love Spongebob. Squidward and Plankton are hilarious. Hate it all you want but it's the most successful cable program of all time and is watched by more people than any other show in the world. Just putting it out there for those trashing it.

That being said, Disney Resort TV stinks. And yes, some people like to watch TV in their room at night. Universal TV is much better. They have Nick, Nick Toons, Cartoon Network, pay per view movies. My wife is the techie, so she brings whatever it is that allows us to watch Netflix and Hulu.

This is my issue: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/is-spongebob-squarepants-bad-for-children/
The show actually makes it more difficult to learn.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Welln...slower-thinkers-study-finds/story?id=14482447

To be fair, lots of fast paced frenetic cartoons have the same effect on young children, but I'm pretty sure just one episode of Spongebob affected me as an adult. :teeth:
First it was only on "4 year olds" so a very specific group, and it also did not reveal if they did a pre-study of the children. 2nd I found a lot of holes in the study. Of course a faster pace show will amp up a child. If you did a study having a group of kids sit and read for an hour and another group playing tag, the tag group will be much more hyper then the reading group and their test results would show it. So does that make playing tag bad? That is why I always refer to the saying "Everything in moderation". I do not know how many studies came out saying this or that was bad for you, only to have it changed later on, like eggs. So, I have no problems letting my DD watch 1 or 2 episodes, again moderation:) BTW; she is in 3rd grade and has straight A's and has better attention then my older DD who grew up without SB.

First it was only on "4 year olds" so a very specific group, and it also did not reveal if they did a pre-study of the children. 2nd I found a lot of holes in the study. Of course a faster pace show will amp up a child. If you did a study having a group of kids sit and read for an hour and another group playing tag, the tag group will be much more hyper then the reading group and their test results would show it. So does that make playing tag bad? That is why I always refer to the saying "Everything in moderation". I do not know how many studies came out saying this or that was bad for you, only to have it changed later on, like eggs. So, I have no problems letting my DD watch 1 or 2 episodes, again moderation:) BTW; she is in 3rd grade and has straight A's and has better attention then my older DD who grew up without SB.
I'm sorry but even if it was a small study on only 4 year olds, shows like that in general are overstimulating and have no value to children of any age. So my opinion on the study stands.

Tag is an exercise requiring fast thinking. It's good for the brain. Any type of physical exercise for children is awesome. It helps children self-regulate and of course there are many long term benefits of regular exercise for everyone. Exercise right before a test can actually boost your score. :)

Studies do show that shows like SpongeBob can affect abstract thinking. Are there holes in the study? Probably. But I just don't see any benefits to watching. Of course moderation is key. But I feel fairly confident they won't come out with a new study saying SpongeBob is good for you. :tongue:

I'm a 42 year old man and I love Spongebob. Squidward and Plankton are hilarious. Hate it all you want but it's the most successful cable program of all time and is watched by more people than any other show in the world. Just putting it out there for those trashing it.

Don't take it personally. We all like different things. I was addicted to Beavis and Butthead for awhile.
What does that say about me? o_O

Tag is an exercise requiring fast thinking. It's good for the brain. Any type of physical exercise for children is awesome. It helps children self-regulate and of course there are many long term benefits of regular exercise for everyone. Exercise right before a test can actually boost your score. :)

Yep. When my son is having a hard time concentrating on his homeschool work I send him to run around for a bit. He comes back in and does the work that was “soooo hard” before in nothing flat.

Only thing I watch at Disney is Stacey’s Must Dos. Hope she’s still on!

Only thing I watch at Disney is Stacey’s Must Dos. Hope she’s still on!

Oh yes she is. :)

And I think sponge bob is hilarious.
So does my dad and my son.
It’s a multi generational connector.

Now rick & morty-not so much.

And I happily have the tv on;
Whether it’s on a loop of park, resort info or Disney junior.
I have tinnitus & need noise distractions
& I love Disney distractions best of all.
:stitch2::tigger::ccat:

Since this thread lost any connection to Disney resorts long ago, I’m going to close it. The merits of various non-Disney animated shows can be discussed on the Community Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter