• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we do it all? Anyone fancy critiquing my itinerary for me....?

It is great to have a plan, but for your first trip, there's no way to know what your family is going to like/hate/want to do over and over. And you're leaving tomorrow, so it's too late to blow it up and change everything.

In general, I agree with what others have said, you have underestimated the time it will take to travel, both between the resort and the parks, and from one ride to another within the parks. There's a lot of travel time, and not enough park time.

I think it's kind of pointless to plan things out to the minute. On our trip last month, as the family "expert" I made sure we were at rope drop everyday, we had our FP+ reserved in morning, and I had a general idea of where we wanted to go. Then the park opens, and everything goes haywire. We'll stick to the general plan, but if we see a ride with no wait, we might jump in it. If a planned ride says 30 minute wait when we were expecting only 10 minutes, we'll skip it and try to get a FP later. Some days the crowds were busier than expected, some days less busy. Maybe it starts to rain so we skip Thunder Mountain. Maybe the park is still empty at 9:30am and we ride Thunder Mountain 5 times in a row. Maybe Splash Mountain breaks down, and the crowds go to Thunder Mountain instead so the line gets ridiculously long. You have no idea what is going to happen.

You also have a 4yo. For example, on my 5yo niece's first trip, we had no idea what rides/parks she would prefer. Halfway through the week, we decided to switch up our schedule for the rest of the week to add more MK mornings because Thunder Mountain was her favorite ride.

Here is my critique:
May 25: FP+ makes it easy to pop into a park late and ride something like Soarin with only a short wait. You're coming from the UK with a 4yo? Long travel day on the first day of the trip, and the plan is to ride Spaceship Earth, walk 1 mile to the back of the park for teriyaki chicken, then walk 1 mile back to Soarin'. There are tons of places to eat closer to Soarin. With the time change, when you get back to CBR, it's going to feel like 2AM?

May 26: Very good getting to rope drop. You might have too much in the morning. JungleCruise will take longer than 10 minutes. TikiRoom and CountryBears are good "anytime" rides, i.e. good rides to do in the afternoon when the parks are crowded and hot and you've done everything else, and it is nice to just sit inside with A/C and watch a show. Tom Sawyer's Island can also take a while depending on how much fun your 4yo is having exploring caves and play areas. If you get to MK rope drop, with FP, you can easily bang out all of Fanytasyland (7Dwarfs, PeterPan, Mermaid, SmallWorld, Dumbo, Teacups, Pooh, Carousel) before lunch. Personally, I would FP PeterPan/Pooh/Barnstormer in the morning. Then get a 4th FP for something like Jungle Cruise for later. You have timing problems after your resort break: only two hours in the park, then dinner will be rushed, Chef Mickey at 8:30pm could be a zoo, note that even though you have an ADR, you might have to wait 10-15 minutes. You might not make it back to MK in time for fireworks. This is also second really late night in a row.

May 27: I like this day, you can sleep in, get to Epcot and use your FP and see all of Future World.

May 28: You don't really know when your Jedi Training window is going to be, depends on how many people beat you there. I would try to switch that late ToT FP to before your break, then you can get a 4th FP for later. You have a lot of shows, which can suck up a lot of time, you might not even have 2 hours back at resort. With 12:15pm lunch ADR, tough to make the 1:20 Stunt show, that is all the way in the back of the park. If you do make it, it's 40 minutes long, then 15 minutes to walk back out to the bus, you're not getting to CBR until ~2:30-2:45pm. If leave after lunch, getting back to CBR at 2pm, you'll have to be on a bus by 3:30pm to make it back to the 4:20 stunt show.

May 29: Astro Orbiter line moves ridiculously slow, you don't want to do it midday like this. Afternoon lines are going to be heavier than mornings. You definitely want to get a 4th FP for Thunder/HauntedMansion/Pirates, but it's possible there won't be any availability before you have to go to Ohana. Thunder will have longest line, Pirates probably shortest.

May 31: Lot of travel this day. Sci-Fi pretty close to fireworks.

June 1: Animal Kingdom is a very very big park. It might take 15-20 minutes to walk from gate to Safari? The Safari ride is 20 minutes long, and even if you return with FP, it still might take 10-15 minute wait before you actually get on the ride. No need to do Bug and Maharajah Jungle Trek so early, they have no wait, can do them whenever is convenient. At rope drop you can do either Everest or Safari with little wait. Leaving the park before 11am for lunch doesn't make sense to me at all.

June 2&4: So much traveling these days, you're probably looking at 2+ hours waiting for and riding buses and boats. You've got so many park visits where you're just popping in for a couple of hours and then heading somewhere else. It's not a very efficient use of your time. And you have to factor in the walking time in and out of the parks.

June 3: Sleeping in before Epcot is fine, you've got your FP+. You might be able to do Figment with no wait between Nemo and Soarin, then you can get into the countries quicker.

June 5,6,7: I like the general idea of these days. You're getting to the park at rope drop and have your FP in the morning, so you can get lots of the big rides done, then you can have flexibility after lunch to do more rides, get more FP, hop to another park, or go back the the resort for rest/pool/nap.

June 5: Don't waste your time looking at Oasis exhibits on the way in, the first hour is when lines are shortest, you can check out those exhibits when leaving. I only see 2 FP, might as well get one for Dinosaur/Everest/Safari. Don't forget about the Pangani Trail near the Safari.

June 6: Popping in to MK to ride Space Mountain late afternoon on a Saturday without a FP, I would expect wait to be anywhere from 50-70 minutes?

June 7: You really do not need FP for Laugh Floor or Mad Tea Party. I would ride those standby and switch FP to Peter Pan/Pooh/Buzz

Wow wasn't expecting such a great response, thanks all for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it, its making me lower my expectations which is always good! And thanks for the detail Lucius, a lot of my 'popping in' to MK are on the days we have ADRs at monorail resorts / fort wilderness so I ended up booking fast passes for MK as I thought we'd be passing through anyway, do you not think that will work? So giddy now, I can see all plans going out the window but I don't care I've had hours of fun prepping!

a lot of my 'popping in' to MK are on the days we have ADRs at monorail resorts / fort wilderness so I ended up booking fast passes for MK as I thought we'd be passing through anyway, do you not think that will work? So giddy now, I can see all plans going out the window but I don't care I've had hours of fun prepping!

Sure, that will work, that's what's great about FP+, you can pop in, ride 2 rides, and get out. We actually did that unintentionally on our last trip. ToT went down, so our morning FP got turned into an open-ended FP good for the rest of the day. We weren't planning on returning at night, but went to a FP kiosk on our way out of the park, and saw they surprisingly had TSMM FP available with return 8pm. So after dinner elsewhere we went back to HS to do 2 FP, it was fun. You just have to remember that it takes time to walk all the way into the park. We never would have planned that, that was just how it worked out. You can certainly do that if you're going to be there anyway for ADRs.

There's no right or wrong way to visit Disney. Our focus is on rides, with eating/swimming secondary. My point was that you have more pop-ins than full days, or even half days at MK. You have a lot of ADRs, it breaks up the days, and you lose a lot of time traveling. You're there for two weeks with a 4yo, and only have two MK morning days. For comparison, with 7yo niece on last trip, we did 3 MK days out of 6 WDW days, we knew that MK had the most rides she'd want to go on. It was hot, crowded but not too crowded. Our plan was to be there at rope drop, use FP in the AM. No lunch ADRs, we would wing it depending on rides/lines/where we were/when we were hungry. Wing it in the park in the afternoon, use additional FP, do rides with low waits. Then early ADR dinners around 5pm at MK or nearby. Then back to the resort, maybe a quick dip in the pool before bed.

We had 3 MK days, with about 20 total hours of MK in-the-park ride time (not counting CS lunch), 6 of those hours before 11am, when you can get a ton of rides done before parks start being busy. With your plan, you're traveling to MK 9 times, by my count close to the same 20 hours ride time. Basically, you'll be in Orlando twice as long as we were, but spend the same number of hours in MK, with three times as much time spent on buses and boats. We also probably did twice as many rides as are outlined on your plan, because we had more early mornings, and were getting 4th/5th/6th FPs after using our first 3. That's what I meant when I said that all the traveling isn't an efficient use of your time.

Wow wasn't expecting such a great response, thanks all for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it, its making me lower my expectations which is always good! And thanks for the detail Lucius, a lot of my 'popping in' to MK are on the days we have ADRs at monorail resorts / fort wilderness so I ended up booking fast passes for MK as I thought we'd be passing through anyway, do you not think that will work? So giddy now, I can see all plans going out the window but I don't care I've had hours of fun prepping!

LOL! Yep, half the fun is planning!

Don't lower your expectations, just know what to expect. Popping in and out of a park is fine but it takes time, and I wonder if you are prepared for the time traveling takes. I plan ADR's that are "along the way", not the other way around, and it seems like that is what your plans do. I love Disney meals, but for me, it makes sense to plan out parks days, and the times we are going to be in the parks, then I plan my ADR's around them. It saves time, and makes sense for us.

LOL! Yep, half the fun is planning!

Don't lower your expectations, just know what to expect. Popping in and out of a park is fine but it takes time, and I wonder if you are prepared for the time traveling takes. I plan ADR's that are "along the way", not the other way around, and it seems like that is what your plans do. I love Disney meals, but for me, it makes sense to plan out parks days, and the times we are going to be in the parks, then I plan my ADR's around them. It saves time, and makes sense for us.

or the opposite depending on where the adr for dining is if the park is packed, I would rather hop in for dining and out. Only if its a must keep cant change ADR

or the opposite depending on where the adr for dining is if the park is packed, I would rather hop in for dining and out. Only if its a must keep cant change ADR
I agree, I would go in and out for dinner, we sometimes do.. I just refuse to spend our vacation traipsing all over chasing ADR's, and fitting park time in between.

Just back :-( , managed to do most of what we wanted but had to skip a few things and move things around due to heat and general exhaustion! Glad I planned though as meant I knew what was the best thing to drop or rearrange on the fly. We skipped the water parks too so we could enjoy the resort a bit more those days, we had a lovely holiday and thanks again for the helpful tips! Back to work tomorrow in UK, awake at 3am as its only 10pm in Florida but have to get up in 3 hours, oh the joys of jet lag.....

So glad you had such a good trip! All the pre-planning really helps develop the knowledge base so you can rearrange plans on the fly!!

Like you, I like minute by minute plans too. My first trip, my plans looked rather like your first attempt. Thank goodness it was only 2 days. After that I learned to budget 30 mins per ride, no matter how short. Made everything more relaxed and we typically manage to stay on time, more or less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter