Can someone tell me about declining room service

When housekeeping is declined, your room will get security checks. So, either way, someone will come into your room.
I don’t go to WDW and rarely stay more than 2 days in one hotel when I travel. I’ve never encountered a hotel that does security checks.

We declined housekeeping during our last stay (free $! Why not!) and I didn't enjoy it. We are a "once-and-done" towel and washcloth kind of family (even at home) and eat a quick breakfast in our room at the hotel, so the number of towels and amount of trash we generated was pretty high. We won't be declining housekeeping on our trip next week. I like a tidy, clean room, and the $30 we got just wasn't worth it to me. As a family of four, I usually tip $4-$5/day.

I've heard of others doing this, but we've never considered doing it ourselves. What are the reasons for doing it? Is it just because some people don't want anyone else in their room? Or is because it's a waste of resources? Is it to avoid having to tip? I've always felt like housekeeping was a bit of overkill - every other day would be just fine with me. Can I specifically request that?

Disney offers this at values and mods for what I've summed up is lack of staff and resources. And even though they give guest the gift card based on length of stay, my guess is this is less than what they'd pay for hourly wages. I don't mind no housekeeping for a short trip but that's us. We don't need daily clean up as we tend to clean up after ourselves. If you are at a deluxe, you won't have that option and the amount of the GC given will vary based on your length of stay. Also, if you do decline housekeeping, you can still request fresh towels and put your trash out as needed.

I'm so glad I read about this! We don't need new towels daily. I always felt bad that someone was coming in and picking up after me. I try to be clean and help out. So this will be great. I don't need mousekeeping, and so now I can save money from no tip and bonus gift card.
Is this something they ask you standard at check in or is this something I have to request?

We declined mousekeeping on our trip last December, and it worked great. We received a $10 credit per night we declined (minus the first night) and if we needed extra towels or anything, we'd call down and they'd bring them right away. We did not have any "security checks" even though we declined mousekeeping.

I'm so glad I read about this! We don't need new towels daily. I always felt bad that someone was coming in and picking up after me. I try to be clean and help out. So this will be great. I don't need mousekeeping, and so now I can save money from no tip and bonus gift card.
Is this something they ask you standard at check in or is this something I have to request?
If they don’t ask, just request it. It’s for value and moderate resorts, but not deluxe.

At check-in no one asked us and we forgot to request it, but we were reminded by a card in our room explaining the program. We went back to the desk and requested it.

We opted out on our last trip and got a $60 gift card. It was worth it IMO. We were still able to go to the front desk and get fresh towels on the one day that we needed them and same with toiletries. Only needed both of those things once. There are only two of us though.....if we had kids I might feel differently.

We declined housekeeping the last 2 trips. Our trips are short (4-5 days) and we don't really see the value of housekeeping for so short a trip. We try to keep a neat room and usually end up making up the beds before we leave anyhow. It is a habit to check the beds for personal items after one time having a beloved toy go missing when housekeeping changed the linens. Last trip we really had a packed garbage bin so this year I'm going to pack a couple grocery bags and get rid of trash at the bins by the elevators each morning.

We declined housekeeping the last 2 trips. Our trips are short (4-5 days) and we don't really see the value of housekeeping for so short a trip. We try to keep a neat room and usually end up making up the beds before we leave anyhow. It is a habit to check the beds for personal items after one time having a beloved toy go missing when housekeeping changed the linens. Last trip we really had a packed garbage bin so this year I'm going to pack a couple grocery bags and get rid of trash at the bins by the elevators each morning.
See, I'm the opposite. I don't find it worth $30 to give up housekeeping for a short trip.

I stripped the bed myself as soon as I realized to help minimize the problem, but no I did not notice a waterproof cover. There was a mattress pad, but nothing plasticky. I wasnt there when they came so I dont know if they treated the mattress in any way.
Hotel mattress pads are typically backed with waterproof material similar to nylon. It's not super noticeable if you don't know what you are looking for.

See, I'm the opposite. I don't find it worth $30 to give up housekeeping for a short trip.
For $30 (in reality $50 since I leave $5 in tips when I have housekeeping) it makes sense to me since all they are doing is removing trash and replacing 2-3 towels. Years ago I would have thought differently- housekeeping felt like cast members who cared. Mousekeeping was friendly, would leave cute surprises like towel animals and arrange the room for our return, and you could request things like extra towels, soap, etc., and I felt tips were warranted. That has not been my experience for about 5 years now. My biggest reason for declining service is that I ended up feeling I should leave a tip, but was then begrudging housekeeping of that tip. Possibly I was spoiled with how housekeeping used to be, but my last 5 trips they were only mediocre at their job as far as getting things clean. And they were really terrible at customer service. I don't expect too much- but if I say 'good morning' , reply back, if I leave a note asking for 2 extra pillows because my mother injured her leg, leave them instead of making me get them from the front desk and don't tell me at 8:30 I need to be out so you can clean when the checkout time is 11 am.

We are thinking of renting points at BWV. Do they have housekeeping everyday? We like having fresh washcloths, trash emptyed and beds made when we return from a day in the park.

We are thinking of renting points at BWV. Do they have housekeeping everyday? We like having fresh washcloths, trash emptyed and beds made when we return from a day in the park.
No, on DVC points, you get limited housekeeping unless you pay for extra housekeeping. DVC is a timeshare and members' costs are kept as low as possible and with DVC they aren't that low. With a stay of seven nights or less, on day 4 you get your towels and amenities replaced. You don't get any full cleaning (like beds made or sheet changed at all). If you like to see the trash emptied and beds made when you return from a day in the park, you'll need to do that yourself before you leave for the park. With stays on eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and your towels replaced on day 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter