Can someone tell me about declining room service

We declined once and I hated it. The amount they give on the gift card isnt worth it to me. I dont love.it as overall practice bc I feel it takes away jobs and also leaving some rooms untouched for days or even weeks at a time contribute IMO to their overall decline. On a personal level I enjoy returning to a straightened room. If you hang your towels instead of piling on the floor they will leave them for additional use and they do not change sheets every day. My son wet the bed one night and I left a note requesting the sheets be changed.

Is there some kind of waterproof cover on the mattress for when this happens?

We won't be doing it either because we are staying at a deluxe. How much do you all tip for room service? I seem to remember our past trips being like $70-$100 total for a 7 day stay - sometimes at the end, sometimes daily in cute little Mouskeeping envelopes I made and brought ahead of time. I would just be so much happier with half the service for half the tipping price. It's paying for something I don't need like hiring a babysitter when you will be home and just don't need one. I am MORE than happy to get my own towels and have them only come in and clean 3 times during our 7 night stay. Is there a way to do that?
No. It is all or nothing, but only values and mods are eligible.

We won't be doing it either because we are staying at a deluxe. How much do you all tip for room service? I seem to remember our past trips being like $70-$100 total for a 7 day stay - sometimes at the end, sometimes daily in cute little Mouskeeping envelopes I made and brought ahead of time. I would just be so much happier with half the service for half the tipping price. It's paying for something I don't need like hiring a babysitter when you will be home and just don't need one. I am MORE than happy to get my own towels and have them only come in and clean 3 times during our 7 night stay. Is there a way to do that?
No

We take the gift card...I get clean towels everyday and its a non issue. Trash get taken to maid cart or i just hand it to them if i see one. Room doesn't really get messed up so may as well take the 10.00 and enjoy it.
But you can always get clean towels..just trade them. It takes me literally 10 min to get extra clean towels (few more than we need) and take out the trash if needed. We are only there 7 nights..so things don't really get too messed up. There is maid carts everywhere so its easy to get what you need..

We're just back from a week at POR and we declined mousekeeping with no regrets. We are two adults who didn't spend much time in the room and don't mind reusing sheets and towels. We made the bed, hung up the towels and I brought Lysol wipes to clean the counter as required. Mousekeeping had left adequate supplies and we didn't fill the trash so we never needed to call. I assume security came in but we never encountered them. The gift card was a nice bonus and we didn't miss mousekeeping at all.
We love it...its 10.00 for nothing..easy choice.

We usually tip $1 per person staying in the room. If just my husband and I go, we tip $3/day. I try to prepare little envelopes before we go so I just put it out the night before and not have to worry in the mornings. We do it daily as there is likely a different person each day. Hope this helps.

If you use the "room occupied" sign, I believe they won't clean your room unless you ask them to. So you could definitely have them clean just three times. You just won't be eligible for the $10/day "Service Your Way" gift card that they offer at the Moderate and Value resorts.

As for tipping, I think $5 per night is considered a decent tip. And $3-$5 per night is the national average. For better or worse, tipping is a very personal decision -- and I'll add a little more if I'm leaving the room particularly messy. I haven't brought envelopes before, but that's a really fun idea and thoughtful too. It's good that you're tipping throughout the trip instead of just at the end, since housekeepers can service different rooms each day.

I've heard of others doing this, but we've never considered doing it ourselves. What are the reasons for doing it? Is it just because some people don't want anyone else in their room? Or is because it's a waste of resources? Is it to avoid having to tip? I've always felt like housekeeping was a bit of overkill - every other day would be just fine with me. Can I specifically request that?
If you are staying at OKW on a cash reservation, which means that you booked it directly through Disney, like you would any of the resorts, then you get daily housekeeping. If you booked using points then housekeeping comes every four days.

I've heard of others doing this, but we've never considered doing it ourselves. What are the reasons for doing it? Is it just because some people don't want anyone else in their room? Or is because it's a waste of resources? Is it to avoid having to tip? I've always felt like housekeeping was a bit of overkill - every other day would be just fine with me. Can I specifically request that?
Just a correction, it is called “housekeeping” not “room service”. Room service is food delivered to your hotel room. I wanted to be sure you know the correct phrase in case you ask someone at your resort.
Denise

We're just back from a week at POR and we declined mousekeeping with no regrets. We are two adults who didn't spend much time in the room and don't mind reusing sheets and towels. We made the bed, hung up the towels and I brought Lysol wipes to clean the counter as required. Mousekeeping had left adequate supplies and we didn't fill the trash so we never needed to call. I assume security came in but we never encountered them. The gift card was a nice bonus and we didn't miss mousekeeping at all.
The more I read this forum the more misc items I add to my suitcase. Adding Lysol wipes to my list of things to bring. Great idea!

Is there some kind of waterproof cover on the mattress for when this happens?
I stripped the bed myself as soon as I realized to help minimize the problem, but no I did not notice a waterproof cover. There was a mattress pad, but nothing plasticky. I wasnt there when they came so I dont know if they treated the mattress in any way.

If you opt out of housekeeping, you may or may not have a security check. You’ll just never know if someone has been in your room or not.

Oh I know! I have become friends with the security check lady that comes to the door last September and this past March.

What I’ve noticed, is that if you leave your room occupied sign on your door, housekeeping doesn’t generally knock, even if you have not opted out of housekeeping. Sometimes they will call and ask if there is a good time to come in.

This is true but sometimes those teenagers like to run down the walkways at Pop and steal them off the door. Happened twice to me lol.

Sheets don’t get changed daily. I think industry standard is about every four days or so.

I thought it was 4 days but I couldn't remember since I usually opt-out. But still, don't care about my bed being made :)

Oh I know! I have become friends with the security check lady that comes to the door last September and this past March.
Just thinking about it, we’ve never had a security check done by a woman. It’s always been a man. It’s nice when you can develop a relationship with them though. Lol.

Just a correction, it is called “housekeeping” not “room service”. Room service is food delivered to your hotel room. I wanted to be sure you know the correct phrase in case you ask someone at your resort.
Denise
I have no idea why I called it room service. Brain blip I guess. lol. I know it's housekeeping and "Mousekeeping" in particular at Disney. :)

As I look at the bed which still hasn't been made up and the daily molting bird feathers and seed hulls on the carpet I think kindly of days spent in hotels where somebody else cleans the mess up and gets paid too.

If you do opt out of mousekeeping. There will be a security room check at any time So one way or another someone will be in your room daily. You can’t choose a time for the security team to come either.

Why have they started this? It's been years since I have stayed at a Disney resort and they didn't do that my last time.

We are pretty neat people and I actually find housekeeping to be a bit annoying... not knowing when they will show up or if they are actually cleaning or even if they are leaving the door open while they clean and other people can just go in?
Also, I have found the quality of housekeeping over the last 5-7 years has steadily declined.
So.. for us.. it's just not worth it to have them bothering us. I bring some cleaning items and take care of it myself. I call and ask for towels every couple days and take out the trash (if any) every day. Then use the extra $$ for a nice meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter