Can a baked potato be dinner?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
If you have extended company--for example if a family member or very close friend is going to be staying with you for a few weeks to a month, while their house is finished being built, for example--do you "up" the quality of the meals you serve or do you just feed them the way you typically feed your family?

I often serve a baked potato as the main part of the meal, with sides, like maybe some steamed green beans and sliced tomatoes. Or sometimes just scrambled eggs and maybe a spinach salad. Or baked beans and cheese toast with a veg.

Would you consider these meals up to par for "company" that's probably not really expecting "company" treatment?

My family never complains, but maybe I'm just being lazy.

If they were visiting as a guest for a couple of days I might “elevate” dinner a few times. Add garlic bread and a salad with my Chicken Parm instead of just Chicken Parm and a veggie type of thing.

Guests who will be members of the household for awhile I’d carry on as usual. I would also expect they’d contribute to meals/meal planning as well.

I often serve a baked potato as the main part of the meal, with sides, like maybe some steamed green beans and sliced tomatoes.
I don't see meat as necessary, though it would be nice to have available some cheese.

Personally, I think having someone stay with us for a few weeks would prompt me to have some bean chili to top the baked potato, but that's also unnecessary.

Or sometimes just scrambled eggs and maybe a spinach salad. Or baked beans and cheese toast with a veg.
These are fine.

Again, personally, I would be prompted to go a little further with the scrambled eggs, perhaps putting some sun-dried tomato pieces in it, and maybe even some feta, but again, unnecessary.

I dont get this "company" v family thing, if people stay in my house, they get whatever food is being cooked that day, Im not doing a 3 course fine dining restaurant quality meal. That only happens on Christmas Day.

I used to work in a quick service baked potato mall foodcourt unit and most defiantly baked potatoes can be dinner.
This is the menu

23b2e687cb4d04c7a29e727fb2519a1b.jpg

When I make baked potato dinners at home the fillings are

1. cottage cheese mixed with tinned sweetcorn and a side of steamed broccoli
  2. Heinz Baked Beans and grated cheddar cheese

Unless she's paying to be at your "B&B" there is no reason to amp up your regular menu. She can make dinner a couple times as a thank you to you if she doesn't like what you're cooking. I would expect her to buy her own food too, she shouldn't just forage through your fridge or pantry for snacks. JMHO.

I love baked potatoes for dinner, especially with broccoli and melted cheese. Yum!

If I were serving baked potatoes for dinner I would also have a meat topping like chili, broccoli, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, etc. Also a tossed salad, crusty bread, and a dessert.

And if I had a friend or family member stay with us for a few weeks they would be welcome to whatever we were having for a meal and if they didn’t like it they could make their own or get a bowl of cereal.

I do think I might ask them what some of their favorite foods were and try to make some of them, and definitely find out if they were allergic to any food items and I would not serve those things while they were in my home.

Another vote for doing your regular meals, for better or worse. I know I always go easy on meals when DH isn't here, but try to put in a little more effort when he is. But, every family has those less-than-stellar meals--I usually call it "Shut Up and Eat It".

Here's hoping that your long-term guest offers to buy groceries and make a few family meals, as well.

I agree with everyone, but I know me. I would probably have what I might consider a “full” meal for them since I know it is for a finite time. I would also do this because we like leftovers for lunches, so this way there may be enough left for lunch for everyone too.

I say up your game a wee bit. You don't need to up it much if you don't want to. Just a little bit would be fine. And I would think maybe a baked potato with chili and cheese on top once in awhile would be fine. Maybe pan fried with onions and peppers topped with chili and cheese.

Last edited:
mailing in a baked potato

https://potatoparcel.com/
checkout_logo_2_180x.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter