Can a baked potato be dinner?

A baked potato for dinner would be fine, but, like others have said, I'd have some toppings available to go w/ the potato - cheese, chili, sour cream, bacon, etc.

Breakfast for dinner would also be good - scrambled eggs, spinach salad, & maybe add some fruit or English muffins.

I probably wouldn't just serve cheese toast & baked beans though - but I might do grilled cheese sandwiches & soup one night.

And, again, if the friend is staying w/ you for almost a month, the friend, I'm sure, is not expecting "company-type" dinners every night. More casual & simple dinners will be fine, although, like another person suggested, you could ask your friend if he/she has any particular dislikes.

https://potatoparcel.com/
checkout_logo_2_180x.png
My daughter sent this to her boyfriend for promposal.

We eat mostly vegetarian and I absolutely would serve that to guests. That's how we eat--baked potato with all the fixings, steamed broccoli, and a salad or some kind of fresh fruit on the side is one of my go-to meals. It ticks off all the boxes for me: easy to prepare, filling, healthy, and cheap.

I would never serve a baked potatoe to a guest... it's empty junk carbs, might as well dump some cheese doodles on plate and call it caviar...

A nice baked potato "bar" is a great thing! I would do, sour cream, bacon, broccoli, shredded cheese, salsa, chili.... honestly- YUM!

And if there were leftover toppings I might throw them on top of tortilla chips and make nachos one night. We eat pretty simply- dinner the other night was Raisin Bran with bananas and almond milk (long day, got home at 9pm), but if I had others at my tableI might "fill out" these options; not everyone is as spartan in their meals as we are (normally we have some sort of grilled meat and a veg or salad and call it good).
If I were doing a baked potato dinner, there'd be a selection of toppings: cheddar, broccoli, sautéed green peppers and onions, maybe some chicken (like those pre-cooked chicken strips they have for making fajitas). I'd also have a salad or some sort of side with it.
If I were doing baked beans, I'd make sure to put in some ham or pulled pork (not with sauce, just the meat) into it, and make corn bread with red/green peppers, diced onion in it with shredded cheese on top instead of cheese toast. It's just more filling, doesn't cost a whole lot more money. And probably salad (bagged lettuce, baby tomatoes, shredded carrots- all purchased as such and ready to serve).
We do eggs for supper all the time, but usually with toast, at least. If I were sticking to the scrambled eggs, I'd grab some of those precooked sausages, make toast or get some popping fresh biscuits, maybe some fruit. If you are worried about it looking like a meal, put a ready-made pie crust in a plate, sautée up some veggies, shred some cheese, and turn it all into quiche. ALMOST as easy if you think ahead (notice that sautéed peppers and onions have appeared in several dishes, hahaha, just make a bunch and use the leftovers the subsequent evenings). Throw together a salad or some fruit and you are good to go. If you need meat in your quiche, buy 1/4 of sliced ham, cut it up and add to the quiche.

I would never serve a baked potatoe to a guest... it's empty junk carbs, might as well dump some cheese doodles on plate and call it caviar...
Potatoes are an excellent source of:
Fiber
Vitamin C
Vitamin B6
Potassium
Iron
Magnesium
To name a few. They’re also heart healthy. They have 37 grams of carbs; about 2.5 servings which easily fits into a healthy diet. Not empty or junk at all.

My guess is you'd say the same about all carbs. Potatoes are more complex than white rice and regular pasta - staples of many people's meals.

If my guests eat carbs, I'd have no problem feeding them carbs since my family eats them regularly. If my guests were no/low carb we'd probably have already discussed how meals would be handled.

After a month in my house, they’d be making me dinner. ::yes::

The baked potato sounds fine for extended stay guests, as does ordering carryout or telling them to fend for themselves on occasion.
I was thinking along the same lines. :rolleyes1 For me, serving them dinner of any kind every night would already be upping my game. Given our schedules, I only cook maybe 3 nights out of 7 and we'll have take-out once. All the other nights are what we call "scrounge". When I do prepare a meal it is a good one; I'm a good cook and I love to please the diners, family and guests alike.

I'd definitely take the advice offered up-thread and ask about any dietary restrictions. :thumbsup2 Maybe you'll get lucky and the guest will be a lacto/ovo vegetarian and baked potatoes, salad, cheese toast and beans or whatever will all be perfect!! Bless you for doing this, by the way. It sounds like you're really bailing somebody out of "a spot" and I'm sure they'll just be really grateful for anything you feed them. :flower3:

Yes, a baked potato is a fine dinner. Especially if topped with some roasted veggies.

Baked sweet potatoes would be good too, topped with a black bean corn cilantro mixture

Yes, a baked potato is a fine dinner. Especially if topped with some roasted veggies.

Baked sweet potatoes would be good too, topped with a black bean corn cilantro mixture

I never knew I liked sweet potatoes until I had some sweet potato fries at Garden Grill! They are delicious baked!

I never knew I liked sweet potatoes until I had some sweet potato fries at Garden Grill! They are delicious baked!
I’d assume they are fried, the only time I’ve had baked sweet potato fries is when I’ve made them.

I’d assume they are fried, the only time I’ve had baked sweet potato fries is when I’ve made them.

Yes, they were fried! Pardon my faulty transition. They were 2 separate thoughts.

1. I tried sweet potato fries.
2. Sweet potatoes are delicious baked!

If I were going to be a guest for a month at someone's house I would suggest we split dinner duty. This can be done as every other day or alternate weeks. I would ask to find out what the other family usually eats and if there were any allergies or dislikes to plan around. There are a lot of options that are low cost and that would work for most people. I would be fine serving a large baked potato but I would add a side of chili and a salad but I don't think I would choose the OP's other options.

i don’t recall ever having a guest for more than two to three weeks, though that has happened multiple times. I’d advise others to not go to any trouble on my account, but I have to admit I would be likely to do a little extra for guests, at least trying to have things I know they like. If they are family or close friends you probably already know their likes and dislikes.

If you are unsure about any certain meal, you could always say in advance what you are going to make on that upcoming day. This gives them a chance to eat/make something different, go out on their own that night, or even eat a bigger lunch so they might just want something smaller like cereal or a salad that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter