Can’t believe Girl Scout cookies this year...

I was a brownie/girl scout back when cookies were 50 cents a box. That seemed so expensive. Fast-forward to today. DH and I both are addicted to thin mints and buy them by the case. yowzer. They freeze well.

I take the mint cookies and make mini icecream sandwiches and freeze them...I consider them “dietetic” because they are so small but just enough to “cheat” with🙂

We have not purchased GS cookies in about 2 years. What a waste...I feel like the cookies are still expensive, but the packages are microscopic.
Ummmm. Can you bash The Girl Scouts of America? I feel like that might be off limits. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

This is the first year in a long while. I bought a couple boxes of thin mints because my daughter wanted them. Someone at work brings them in every year and leaves them in the break room with the envelope to put the money in.

My dd is a Girl Scout and she loves selling cookies. She’s learned a lot of valuable skills like customer service, how to handle rejection, math skills, and it’s really helped her to grow her confidence.

Exactly. Even the most timid can sell the cookies. You don't need to be a wiz at sales to sell them. It helps build confidence for those who don't think they can do it.

So true! I remember the first time our family was hit up for those :scared:

iirc 70% of the cost went back to the troop or something like that. That made me feel better

When DS was a Cub, the pack he was in would split the profit with the boys. Half into their accounts, half into the pack account. Helped keep our pack dues low, and let us do a camping trip once a month + a big to do at the monthly meeting (sometimes we had guests...the 501st came once; the Jax zoo did an outreach program for us; etc). The scouts could use their funds to pay for their camping trips, summer camps, etc.

Pro-tip: Buy the Samoas (I refuse to call the Caramel Delites), and break them into pieces and then sprinkle them into pancake batter while they are cooking on the griddle.
Samoas and Caramel Delites are the same thing, but produced by different bakers. Little Brownie Bakers was the original company Girl Scouts used. They (some of the councils) have moved to ABC Bakers. It's a regional thing. ABC can make the "same" cookie but can't brand it with the same name.

Those of us who feel they can tell the difference, prefer the "real" (Little Brownie Bakers) cookies. Others don't really care.

Man, those Thin Mints are like crack. I haven't noticed the package being any smaller than it was, though. As a someone who has at various times been a Girl Scout, leader, and scout mom, I love cookie season and am a little sad we're no longer a scouting family. Fortunately, I know people that never fail to make sure I get my fix. :hyper:

Samoas and Caramel Delites are the same thing, but produced by different bakers. Little Brownie Bakers was the original company Girl Scouts used. They (some of the councils) have moved to ABC Bakers. It's a regional thing. ABC can make the "same" cookie but can't brand it with the same name.

Those of us who feel they can tell the difference, prefer the "real" (Little Brownie Bakers) cookies. Others don't really care.

I know. I just refuse to call them "Caramel Delites". They are and always will be SAMOAS.

Pro-tip: Buy the Samoas (I refuse to call the Caramel Delites), and break them into pieces and then sprinkle them into pancake batter while they are cooking on the griddle.
.......or take a t-bone steak and mix in with the burger and ham and sausage in the morning omlet.....remember Only you can prevent the misuse of Samoa's🐻🌲🌲🌲🐻😎👌👌👌👌👌🙈🙉🙊

That's interesting! I didn't know that; thanks for sharing! Which baker produces Samoas and which baker produces Caramel Delites?

No girl scout cookies this year because I usually buy them from scouts who have a table set up outside of a store. Dollar Tree has a great knockoff, and you get more in the box.
Keebler makes almost every kind of cookie that girl scouts sell. But it IS a fundraiser, so I don't expect to get a bargain.
No worse than the "World's Finest" Chocolate bars that used to be very popular here for fundraisers. Certainly not the world's finest chocolate, and expensive. About the time my son started Little League parents rebelled and said "just raise the registration fee so we don't have to sell those awful chocolate bars". The World's Finest rep was in denial for a while, LOL.

Pro tip: Aldi sells copycat Samoas that are sooooo yummy. They're like $2 a box and have more cookies. I might actually prefer them to the Girl Scout ones. :rolleyes1

Although...I can't resist the *real* Thin Mints.

Keebler makes almost every kind of cookie that girl scouts sell. But it IS a fundraiser, so I don't expect to get a bargain.
No worse than the "World's Finest" Chocolate bars that used to be very popular here for fundraisers. Certainly not the world's finest chocolate, and expensive. About the time my son started Little League parents rebelled and said "just raise the registration fee so we don't have to sell those awful chocolate bars". The World's Finest rep was in denial for a while, LOL.
I have yet to find a caramel bar that makes me happier than the Worlds Finest Caramel. Boy what I would give for one of those now. And to stay on topic, I had no intention of buying cookies this year, till a girl came to my door :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter