Can’t believe Girl Scout cookies this year...

I. And who doesn't like buying farm-fresh potatoes? It was a win-win!
Pop Fisher: You know my mama wanted me to be a farmer.
- Roy Hobbs: My dad wanted me to be a baseball player.

Pop Fisher: I'd have walked away from baseball and I'd have bought a farm.
- Roy Hobbs: Nothing like a farm. Nothing like being around animals, fixing things. There's nothing like being in the field with the corn and the winter wheat. The greenest stuff you ever saw.”

I found a box of cookies labelled as “Fudge Mint Cookies” at Dollar Tree for the usual price. I think a 9 oz box. The label said it was from Interbake, which is the parent of ABC Bakers. Saw that Big Lots may have it too.

https://www.dollartree.com/oven-baked-fudge-mint-cookies-9oz-boxes/285124

images
I tried a box today. They’re good - pretty much indistinguishable from ABC Bakers Thin Mints, down to the little dots in the fudge mold. The ingredient list and nutritional info is slightly different, but that may not be enough to make s as difference in taste. But the box is the same kind.

I also found Keebler’s Coconut Dreams, which seem almost identical to Little Brownie Bakers (owned by Keebler/Kellogg’s) Samoas. Saw it at Grocery Outlet (near expiration) but other mainline stores have them. They’re packaged differently than Girl Scout Cookies.

keebler-coconut-dreams-8.5oz-200805.png

yep...wife brings them home all the time HERES YOUR SCOUT COOKIES....GIVE ME 5 BUCKS!!!!! dated or not...good at bottom of ice cream bowl

my wife....you can read about her on the litter thread....can walk right on by those folks at the cookie ladden table...not me...i remember the struggle of trying to earn that which was not my birthright

It felt like small children were being monopolized to pay exorbitant salaries of a bloated organization.

I agree. If you look into a lot of these so-called 'non-profits', they are really just money making businesses for the people who have cleverly set them up to take advantage of the existing laws for non-profits. Frankly, I think the non-profit laws should be modified and these organizations could be run by more people who are retired/unpaid volunteers and far more of the money go to its intended purpose. Many people are duped into thinking non-profit = charity where all of the workers are unpaid volunteers and that is nothing like reality. Many pay their top people 6-figure salaries just like a regular business. They just don't have to pay taxes due to how they are organized. One of those pathetic dog commercials I keep seeing as a TV ad pays out 95% of what people donate to salaries/overhead and costs associated with running their organization (i.e. like the cost of TV ads). Sure not my idea of anything I would EVER donate to. If you want to donate $$ like that, go instead to your nearest animal shelter and give the money to people where it will actually accomplish something.

I view girl scout cookies as making a 'donation' and in return, I get a few cookies. As others mentioned above, the Boy Scouts sell pricey popcorn products where the minimum cost is way more then seems reasonable. I notice most people just walk by and say 'no thanks' when they have sales displays outside of our local grocery stores.

I agree. If you look into a lot of these so-called 'non-profits', they are really just money making businesses for the people who have cleverly set them up to take advantage of the existing laws for non-profits. Frankly, I think the non-profit laws should be modified and these organizations could be run by more people who are retired/unpaid volunteers and far more of the money go to its intended purpose. Many people are duped into thinking non-profit = charity where all of the workers are unpaid volunteers and that is nothing like reality. Many pay their top people 6-figure salaries just like a regular business. They just don't have to pay taxes due to how they are organized. One of those pathetic dog commercials I keep seeing as a TV ad pays out 95% of what people donate to salaries/overhead and costs associated with running their organization (i.e. like the cost of TV ads). Sure not my idea of anything I would EVER donate to. If you want to donate $$ like that, go instead to your nearest animal shelter and give the money to people where it will actually accomplish something.

I view girl scout cookies as making a 'donation' and in return, I get a few cookies. As others mentioned above, the Boy Scouts sell pricey popcorn products where the minimum cost is way more then seems reasonable. I notice most people just walk by and say 'no thanks' when they have sales displays outside of our local grocery stores.

I’m wary of many “nonprofits” that have huge advertising budgets.

My husband went into a discount grocery store the other day and they had cases of the lemon shortbread girl scout cookies for sale, $1 box. He bought me several boxes since they are my favorite. He asked the clerk how they got the cookies and she said the girl scout cookie sales were way down this year and they had a lot of certain flavors left so they sold them to grocery liquidators.
Wow!!

I seen a group of girl scouts breaking windows and knocking canes out from old man, they must be stopped with this cookie sham

Actually during cookie season, any cash donation goes towards boxes of cookies that we donate locally to various organizations. Those our our council rules though. Others might operate differently.

Wow that stinks- if we get donations 100% of it goes to the troop- it was way better for someone to just give 5.00 as a donation because that was equivalent to selling 10 boxes of cookies! Even just a buck was the same as selling 2 boxes!

Wow that stinks- if we get donations 100% of it goes to the troop- it was way better for someone to just give 5.00 as a donation because that was equivalent to selling 10 boxes of cookies! Even just a buck was the same as selling 2 boxes!
What happens to unsold inventory?

We return anything we don't sell at cookie booths- if you take 500 boxes and only sell 400 then council takes back the other 100 and we only pay for what we sold- there is no risk doing cookie booths-not forced to sell them all.

At the troop, or council level? Towards the end of the sale, if the troop has cookies left, they can transfer to other troops who need cookies. We would get stuck with unsold inventory otherwise but still responsible for the money owed.

We return anything we don't sell at cookie booths- if you take 500 boxes and only sell 400 then council takes back the other 100 and we only pay for what we sold- there is no risk doing cookie booths-not forced to sell them all.
I’ve been with two councils and we’ve always been financially responsible for cookies signed for. No returns. My troop had to pay for $500+ of unsold cookies. Meaning, I bought them rather than lose it from what little we had in the troop account.

I’ve been with two councils and we’ve always been financially responsible for cookies signed for. No returns. My troop had to pay for $500+ of unsold cookies. Meaning, I bought them rather than lose it from what little we had in the troop account.

That is crazy- we would never do a cookie booth if there was any risk of having to pay for unsold inventory. We had to return them within 3 days of the date of the cookie booth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter