Camping at Fort Wilderness in August

Waiting2goback

DIS Veteran
Hello, my family likes to camp. Our favorite place wasn’t available this year so we are exploring other options. We have considered camping at Fort Wilderness. Our vacation is in early August. For those that camp there in August, how bad is it with the heat? It would be more of a camping than park trip. The kids might decide to use their money and go off to the parks on their own, because they are old enough, but is the camp ground any cooler than parks, for example, because of all the trees?

Or would everyone that has gone tell me to stay away in August if we aren’t going to the parks? I have just always wanted to try camping there but I don’t want to melt either. We have AC, and it works great, but riding bikes and stuff would that be intolerable? Are the pools packed?

Any feedback would be great.

Well this is the DIS Resorts board where we can all talk about the resorts on property.

But there is a DIS Camping Board also because FW is so different (and great in its own right) from all the other on property resorts.

You might try to post this question over there for greater visibility. Or ask a Mod to move this question.

Either/Or. I want you to get the answer you are looking for.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

Bama Ed

@Waiting2goback ,

We used to regularly go in the summer months, including August. It is hot and humidity is pretty severe, BUT... it depends on where you are from and what you are accustomed to. We are from St Louis. July and early August are often hotter in StL than WDW with similar humidty. We did fine knowing what to expect. One trip we were in a long queue with people from Canada "5 hours north of Toronto". They were completely shocked, but were troopers hanging out for 2 full weeks.

August will also likely have afternoon storms. Expect rain almost everyday at some point. It may last 15 minutes. It may last 6 or 8 hours. Now that that DS is out of school, we can go any time of year, so our trips in June/July/August are probably done. If I want 98 degrees and 90% humidity, I'll just stay home and hang out at my pool. :)

I think the campground may feel a little cooler due to all the shade. The advantage with the parks is there are shows and shops with great A/C so you can escape the heat for a bit. If your camper A/C isn't up to Florida heat standards, even running full time, the camper may still be 80 degrees inside. My old 31 ft 5th wheel with 1 A/C was like that. My new motorhome has 3 A/Cs so it does fine, but they do get a workout.

j

@Waiting2goback ,

We used to regularly go in the summer months, including August. It is hot and humidity is pretty severe, BUT... it depends on where you are from and what you are accustomed to. We are from St Louis. July and early August are often hotter in StL than WDW with similar humidty. We did fine knowing what to expect. One trip we were in a long queue with people from Canada "5 hours north of Toronto". They were completely shocked, but were troopers hanging out for 2 full weeks.

August will also likely have afternoon storms. Expect rain almost everyday at some point. It may last 15 minutes. It may last 6 or 8 hours. Now that that DS is out of school, we can go any time of year, so our trips in June/July/August are probably done. If I want 98 degrees and 90% humidity, I'll just stay home and hang out at my pool. :)

I think the campground may feel a little cooler due to all the shade. The advantage with the parks is there are shows and shops with great A/C so you can escape the heat for a bit. If your camper A/C isn't up to Florida heat standards, even running full time, the camper may still be 80 degrees inside. My old 31 ft 5th wheel with 1 A/C was like that. My new motorhome has 3 A/Cs so it does fine, but they do get a workout.

Thank you for the response. This is enough to keep us from going. My AC is excellent, even for FL. My camper is like a meat locker it gets so cold, not even on high. So I’m not worried about that. But kids playing outside in that heat would likely take away from the fun.

I was a teacher, and so preretirement, all of our Disney trips were in the summer. And, it was hot and humid and often rainy, but we sucked it up and had tons of fun. However, if I was not going to the parks, I would NOT go to Disney in the summer. You walk outside and melt. Immediately. Bike riding-nope. Walking (unless to Crockett's Tavern)-nope. Now, we did have one July trip with nice enough weather, but only one. I would not want to spend all of that money on a trip that was simply too hot. Just my opinion.

Hello, my family likes to camp. Our favorite place wasn’t available this year so we are exploring other options. We have considered camping at Fort Wilderness. Our vacation is in early August. For those that camp there in August, how bad is it with the heat? It would be more of a camping than park trip. The kids might decide to use their money and go off to the parks on their own, because they are old enough, but is the camp ground any cooler than parks, for example, because of all the trees?

Or would everyone that has gone tell me to stay away in August if we aren’t going to the parks? I have just always wanted to try camping there but I don’t want to melt either. We have AC, and it works great, but riding bikes and stuff would that be intolerable? Are the pools packed?

Any feedback would be great.
We went 9 years ago and August was extremely hot but it's funny how you acclimatize to the sweat running down your back and the rain showers that may team down on you. It can't be that bad as our daughter was 7 months pregnant during that trip and made it. If you have AC just make sure you use the foil backed insulation on your windows and put a vent pillow in your living area vent to keep out the heat. Always leave your curtains drawn if you don't use the insulation and you should make out just fine inside. Not all sites have trees for shade at the campground so enjoy your awning if you have one and the pool(s) as well. Riding bikes should be OK I would think.

Our next trip is 2 weeks in early August. A little earlier than i would hope for but we stayed there in July a few years back and i don't remember the heat being that much of a deal breaker. The trees do provide a ton of shade but its still a bit humid. I always plan to do most of my outdoor stuff before Noon. Outdoor fans help to get the air moving while sitting out under the awning. I don't recall grilling out that trip but hope to do some this trip. We will see.

As I recall, the campground was way more comfortable heat wise than any of the parks. The parks are down right miserable at times during the summer.

As I recall, the campground was way more comfortable heat wise than any of the parks. The parks are down right miserable at times during the summer.

Yep, @mco65.

All that pavement in the parks soaks up that morning sunshine and then releases it during the afternoon/early evening hours. Such :sad2: a :sad2: pleasure :sad2: to deal with.

Bama Ed

The heat and humidity is going to be highly subjective as already shown here. Due to kids in school and DW is a teacher we are limited to summer. Not my favorite time to go, but we roll with it. Temps can my OMG hot or wow I didn't even need my cooling towel today. That said evaporative cooling towels are AMAZING for the summer there. Expect a 2pm rain storm most days but not all of them. AK is has the least amount of air conditioned areas so go early so you can explore those areas first for sure. The other parks if you do it right you can balence AC areas vs. outdoor and keep it tolerable. We had one day 2 years ago where EPCOT was just brutal, though thankfully we just kept going into each show case area to cool off.

Out of my famly I am the one that likely hates the heat the most, yet after 20 years of spending time at a race track wearing long pants all day in the summer I have a good tolorance for heat and humidity.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter