Camera for a 14 year old

piglet1979

DIS Veteran
My daughter is taking a photography class at school this semester. She is really getting into it and it has only been 4 days. They have there first project due this Friday and it has been really fun watching her creative side come out while taking pictures. Right now they are only using the cameras on their phone. We don't have to buy a camera for the class so I am guess they have camera at the school they may use. I am thinking of getting a camera for Christmas this year if she continues to like it. What would be a good camera, that won't break the bank, for a 14 year who is just starting with taking pictures?

I don't have a budget yet as I am really just starting to look. I would think $100-$200 but I am sure if you can get a good camera for that. But defiantly looking on the cheaper side.

Well, I think it comes down to just having a nice camera versus really learning about what makes a good photograph. And face it, when you think about it, we're talking about two different kinds of people out there:
- Those who take a picture to capture the image as "art"
- Those who like to play with gear on the road to the above

Simply put, Ansel Adams could take a better photograph with a shoebox than most of us I could with $5,000 worth of equipment. Yeah, somewhat oversimplified. But not by much. Especially when those groups above crossover. Regardless, for purposes of buying something for your child, this will simplify things.

If she REALLY wants to learn about the nuts and bolts of photography, an adjustable camera is the way to go. And make no mistake, some are a LOT easier at that than others. In the budget area, I would suggest this or this from Amazon. Either will last for many years and they are very forgiving of beginners. But will still be of use as they advance. Are there cheaper cameras? Yes. But absolutely none better at this price range new in box.

I would recommend these for one basic reason. While both have an Automatic mode, they have a complete Manual mode also. Understanding how light behaves and things like shutter speed and aperture are key hallmarks of learning to take great photos. Notice I didn't choose the newest version of the Canon (the T1 vs the T3). The one above has a better chip in it and will, long term, give you better image quality.

If those reasons above aren't requirements for her class, stick with the phone. Buying a cheap point&shoot really isn't worth it. I'm also one of those people who will tell you not to listen to those that say today's cell cameras are as good as a "real" camera. If that were true, Canon, Nikon, and others would be out of business. I can create multiple scenarios where an SLR will always expose a shot better than a phone. Or provide a more artistic representation of a scene based on how the photographer sets up the exposure.

Once she knows the basic of exposure, everything will fall into place. To that end, I suggest one other item. This book. I can easily recommend most of the Nat Geo books but this one by Joel Sartore (one of my photography idols) is worth the $, especially for a beginner.

Last edited:

Thank you! This is all great info. Right now we are just having her use her phone and will see if her excitement changes any. I am thinking if she stays interested this can be a Christmas gift. She is very artsy and I think she will be more artsy with taking pictures. I will definitely get the book for her.

We were talking to her the other night that she can make this into a job if she liked it enough. She was really interested in that. She has voiced about not really wanting to go to college or go to minimal college. This might fit what she is looking for.

If you keep your eves open, around Christmas you might even knock down current price by 10-15%.

And yes, it can be a sustainable job. When you learn a little more and really sit down and think about it, the number and types of positions requiring a good photographer is amazing. Not just weddings and portraits. The one other thing she is going to have to learn is Photoshop. But good PS people can make a chunk of money too.

We bought our son the cannon eos rebel a few years ago, now he is in college and the camera fits the needs of the class as well.
I think the ones that are a few model years older are under 200. The newest one is 500

At 14, I would be careful investing in a DSLR. If she really shows an interest and stays with it, then, in a couple of years, you can upgrade.
I currently have a Canon Rebel T8i. It serves my needs fine although not considered a true, professional camera. (I recently had a wedding gig). I already had a couple of lenses I wanted to use with it, from previous Rebel models, so that helped me to decide to stick with the Rebel series rather than move up to a full frame camera.
I would advise you to look at the Canon Power Shot cameras. I have an older one (the Power Shot SX20 is) that I will be taking with me on a trip to Vegas in Oct. We will be going to a Lady GaGa concert and the venue does not allow for cameras with interchangeable lenses. The Power Shots use regular AA batteries, have a decent amount of zoom, and you have the ability to play with some settings.
This is what I would recommend as a “starter camera”.

TC :cool1:

A 14-year-old has no less photography capability than an adult... Arguably, they are more capable -- More capable of learning the technology, more capable of developing a new artistic eye, etc.

So a camera for a 14-year-old faces the same dilemma as a camera for an adult who is just starting to get more serious about their photography.

And there is a major dilemma -- a dilemma which is destroying the consumer camera industry.

All those cheap entry level cameras? Even the entry level dSLR's with entry level lenses......

A good phone will take better photographs. In fact, even if you're an expert at using the equipment, a good phone still has better potential.
A good phone, even if you stripped out everything except the camera, would be a $500-$1,000 camera. To a large degree, the phones rely on computational photography, which the entry level cameras cannot utilize to any great degree. Go back 5 years, computational photography was a poor substitute for hardware, but that's no longer the case.
Looked at in that perspective, it's not surprising that phone would be superior to a $200-$300 camera.
Resolution is in the same ballpark these days. A good phone can do long exposure handheld, while a traditional camera would require a tripod. I have the iphone 12 Pro, it has 3 cameras giving a range of 13mm to 52mm. This gives just slightly shorter telephoto range than an entry level dSLR kit lens, and it gives me much wider range for super-wide angle shooting. The resolution is only slightly lower than a dSLR, while fast lenses and computational photography give me far superior low light performance and background blur than I would get with an entry level camera.
I literally own over $10,000 of camera gear -- And there are plenty of times when my phone is just as good.

So here is what I have found happens -- Hand someone a good phone and an entry level camera -- After a week, the entry level camera gets buried in the back of the closet. It serves little purpose. It's like taking someone who wants to learn how to keyboard, who already has a good laptop computer, giving them an old manual typewriter.

Photography and the camera market have changed. There are older people who still simply have the old habit of needing a dedicated camera in their hand. But particularly for younger people, a dedicated camera is superfluous.
Buying a dedicated camera is pointless now for most generic starter photography. Instead, the remaining market is relevant for those seeking a specific purpose.
Someone looking to shoot wildlife, who may benefit from a long (and expensive) telephoto lens.
Professionals, looking to be able to make large high resolution prints..

Those looking for speed and low light performance that will surpass phones (phones will beat entry level cameras. For $2,000-$5,000 and $500-$5000 lenses will give performance you can't get from a phone).

It is true that a cheap entry level dSLR will have the 3 basic dials to teach the technical know-how of photography, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. But unless someone intends to pursue more advanced photography, that's a bit like teaching a younger driver how to drive stick shift. Even more so, take 18-year-old who already owns a Mercedes (maybe gifted from their grandparents) with an automatic transmission, would you go buy the 18-year-old a cheap used car with a stick shift, just so they can learn how to use stick shift?

So what's my point after this long spiel.
Ask your child if they feel limited by their phone's camera, and ask them how they feel limited. Then determine if there is a dedicated camera solution for that need. But handing a 14-year-old an entry level dSLR will just result in a dSLR in the closet.

A 14-year-old has no less photography capability than an adult... Arguably, they are more capable -- More capable of learning the technology, more capable of developing a new artistic eye, etc.

So a camera for a 14-year-old faces the same dilemma as a camera for an adult who is just starting to get more serious about their photography.

And there is a major dilemma -- a dilemma which is destroying the consumer camera industry.

All those cheap entry level cameras? Even the entry level dSLR's with entry level lenses......

A good phone will take better photographs. In fact, even if you're an expert at using the equipment, a good phone still has better potential.
A good phone, even if you stripped out everything except the camera, would be a $500-$1,000 camera. To a large degree, the phones rely on computational photography, which the entry level cameras cannot utilize to any great degree. Go back 5 years, computational photography was a poor substitute for hardware, but that's no longer the case.
Looked at in that perspective, it's not surprising that phone would be superior to a $200-$300 camera.
Resolution is in the same ballpark these days. A good phone can do long exposure handheld, while a traditional camera would require a tripod. I have the iphone 12 Pro, it has 3 cameras giving a range of 13mm to 52mm. This gives just slightly shorter telephoto range than an entry level dSLR kit lens, and it gives me much wider range for super-wide angle shooting. The resolution is only slightly lower than a dSLR, while fast lenses and computational photography give me far superior low light performance and background blur than I would get with an entry level camera.
I literally own over $10,000 of camera gear -- And there are plenty of times when my phone is just as good.

So here is what I have found happens -- Hand someone a good phone and an entry level camera -- After a week, the entry level camera gets buried in the back of the closet. It serves little purpose. It's like taking someone who wants to learn how to keyboard, who already has a good laptop computer, giving them an old manual typewriter.

Photography and the camera market have changed. There are older people who still simply have the old habit of needing a dedicated camera in their hand. But particularly for younger people, a dedicated camera is superfluous.
Buying a dedicated camera is pointless now for most generic starter photography. Instead, the remaining market is relevant for those seeking a specific purpose.
Someone looking to shoot wildlife, who may benefit from a long (and expensive) telephoto lens.

Those looking for speed and low light performance that will surpass phones (phones will beat entry level cameras. For $2,000-$5,000 and $500-$5000 lenses will give performance you can't get from a phone).

It is true that a cheap entry level dSLR will have the 3 basic dials to teach the technical know-how of photography, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. But unless someone intends to pursue more advanced photography, that's a bit like teaching a younger driver how to drive stick shift. Even more so, take 18-year-old who already owns a Mercedes (maybe gifted from their grandparents) with an automatic transmission, would you go buy the 18-year-old a cheap used car with a stick shift, just so they can learn how to use stick shift?

Ask your child if they feel limited by their phone's camera, and ask them how they feel limited. Then determine if there is a dedicated camera solution for that need. But handing a 14-year-old an entry level dSLR will just result in a dSLR in the closet.
Thanks for your thoughtful input from an “older lady” with a flip phone! 😁

I've printed and looked at photos on my computer taken on my iphone 11. They aren't even close in quality to those I took with my first DSLR in 2004.

Havoc and I have (good-naturedly) disagreed about this before. I totally get the points made and some of them are very applicable. However, I don't want to mix IQ issues and costs with the thought process around learning what the components of an exposure are. Especially difficult lighting situations. Maybe I've never had a good enough app on my phone? Yeah, I'm definitely more into the thought process around what makes a technically accurate shot and that probably colors my response. Heck, I can't even say anymore it's all about what appears on the paper since printing seems to be less the focus nowadays rather than what appears on a screen.

If it's just showing shots on a screen, any screen, then maybe the phone would be the way to go. I can't argue against that. BUT.

My original suggestion was a DSLR ~200 or so. Look at it this way - what $200 phone's camera will match a consumer-level DSLR?

If it's just showing shots on a screen, any screen, then maybe the phone would be the way to go. I can't argue against that. BUT.

Sure, on a phone screen. But definitely not on a computer screen.

Havoc and I have (good-naturedly) disagreed about this before. I totally get the points made and some of them are very applicable. However, I don't want to mix IQ issues and costs with the thought process around learning what the components of an exposure are. Especially difficult lighting situations. Maybe I've never had a good enough app on my phone? Yeah, I'm definitely more into the thought process around what makes a technically accurate shot and that probably colors my response. Heck, I can't even say anymore it's all about what appears on the paper since printing seems to be less the focus nowadays rather than what appears on a screen.

My original suggestion was a DSLR ~200 or so. Look at it this way - what $200 phone's camera will match a consumer-level DSLR?

5 years ago, I would be singing your tune, even 3 years ago.

But I’ve done side by side comparisons now.
Take a 6-year-old aps-c sensor and a 5.6 aperture lens, put it against a cutting edge sensor, super processor (which enables things like 2 second handheld photography), and a fast 2.0 aperture lens.. The phone wins handily.
Now, it does depend on which phone.
You’d be right if you were talking about a 5-year-old iPhone 6, for example.
So must include the caveat, “what phone are you currently shooting with.”

But if you’re shooting with one of the most current phones, a 6-8 year-old aps-c dslr with kit lens is a significant downgrade for most purposes.

You’re right that you can learn the exposure triangle better with a dslr. No question.
But that’s a bit like my stick shift example. For most consumer photographers, there is little value in even learning the exposure triangle anymore.
My son is now in advanced high school photography, his fourth high school photography class. (If he continues any further, it will be AP photography).
So 4 semesters of high school photography — they did spend 1 day on exposure triangle, in his freshman class. Since then — they have used their phones for everything. The school has old Canon Rebels but the teachers recommend the students use their phones. My son can borrow my professional cameras and lenses (he did borrow my 400mm lens for 1 project), but opts to just use his phone.

It’s a new world for photography. A casual consumer photography using a dedicated camera is approaching listening to music on vinyl records. Sure…it still exists, as a quirk.

Sure, on a phone screen. But definitely not on a computer screen.

Last class I taught, I blew up 16 inch prints from a phone vs a 24mp camera. Out of 11 students, 5 said they couldn’t tell the difference. 4 thought the phone pic was the camera pic. Only 2 out of the 11 correctly identified the camera pic as being the one from a camera.

5 years ago, I would be singing your tune, even 3 years ago.

But I’ve done side by side comparisons now.
Take a 6-year-old aps-c sensor and a 5.6 aperture lens, put it against a cutting edge sensor, super processor (which enables things like 2 second handheld photography), and a fast 2.0 aperture lens.. The phone wins handily.
Now, it does depend on which phone.
You’d be right if you were talking about a 5-year-old iPhone 6, for example.
So must include the caveat, “what phone are you currently shooting with.”

But if you’re shooting with one of the most current phones, a 6-8 year-old aps-c dslr with kit lens is a significant downgrade for most purposes.

You’re right that you can learn the exposure triangle better with a dslr. No question.
But that’s a bit like my stick shift example. For most consumer photographers, there is little value in even learning the exposure triangle anymore.
My son is now in advanced high school photography, his fourth high school photography class. (If he continues any further, it will be AP photography).
So 4 semesters of high school photography — they did spend 1 day on exposure triangle, in his freshman class. Since then — they have used their phones for everything. The school has old Canon Rebels but the teachers recommend the students use their phones. My son can borrow my professional cameras and lenses (he did borrow my 400mm lens for 1 project), but opts to just use his phone.

It’s a new world for photography. A casual consumer photography using a dedicated camera is approaching listening to music on vinyl records. Sure…it still exists, as a quirk.

Yeah, that probably sounds about right. Then again, I'm freakin' old and still go back and read my annotated copies of The Negative, The Camera, and The Print. So I'm definitely coming from a different place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter