CA Grill was Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much did the food/service count in your "best all-around" award and how recently had you visited before this? Without context, what I found puzzling with your review is that it made it sound like there was this sudden and drastic drop in quality. Hasn't it always been about the view?

CA Grill isn't the resto it could/should be but that's been the case for a while and that also applies to just about every other place at WDW. I've never been super-impressed with CA Grill, especially with its inconsistency, so maybe any post-refurb dips in quality were not as obvious to me; it seemed pretty much like its usual state of overrated with a potential for awesome. My experience has been limited to the past 3+ years and does not include the near-mythical pre-DDP golden age that is mentioned on the boards every so often.

The view and WDW's walled garden guarantee that the food/service need not be that good for it to be packed every night.

I have visited CA Grill no fewer than twice each year since 2010 when I purchased my Vacation Club membership at Bay Lake Tower; likely 8-10 times since 2010.

The recent changes are quite public and stated in my review - CA Grill closed for renovations and reopened in Summer 2013.

In no uncertain terms, CA Grill is the most expensive Signature (beside V&A) at Disney and offers a reserve wine list. Neither of these facts would indicate that CA is not about food; it's difficult selling a $300 of Opus One to accompany hamburgers. Further, if CA Grill was all about the view, then nobody should ever be seated in the back room or the back part of dining room that lacks a view of the Magic Kingdom.

**I'd like to point out something to folks - many fine dining restaurants have two wine lists. The first one is of the lesser priced wines and is often designed to be less intimidating. The second wine list, the Reserve List, is given to folks with seemingly more knowledge about wines and/or who simply want a more expensive bottle.

Prior to my recent visit, CA Grill was my 'Best All-Around' at Disney because of quality food and a $million view.

Obviously, given my review, that label has since changed.

I really greatly appreciate this review. I am about to cancel our large family meal there in December for something less pricey.

My husband has the most refined palate of our family. We will be dining with family members who are much easier to please, but our sheer numbers would make it about half a grand for one meal. We will take them somewhere else where they will be more than satisfied and we (dh and I) will not spend the entire next day moping about what we spent.

OP, I really appreciate your foodie perspective. We adored Jiko on our last trip and are currently between Jiko and Artist Point for our next. We would really like a service experience ike the one we had at Jiko, but Artist Point is incredibly convenient as we will be staying at WL and our children will be babysat in the room while we dine. Does the dining experience match that at Jiko?

Thanks!

VP

Is this review a joke? It's awfully (and almost comically) pretentious.

CA Grill has NEVER really, truly been "fine dining.". At best, it's a good attempt at "fancy" food in an atmosphere that never really matched the intent of the food.

That is kind of what I thought. :snooty:

I'm still very excited to have dinner there next month. :banana:

I really greatly appreciate this review. I am about to cancel our large family meal there in December for something less pricey.

My husband has the most refined palate of our family. We will be dining with family members who are much easier to please, but our sheer numbers would make it about half a grand for one meal. We will take them somewhere else where they will be more than satisfied and we (dh and I) will not spend the entire next day moping about what we spent.

OP, I really appreciate your foodie perspective. We adored Jiko on our last trip and are currently between Jiko and Artist Point for our next. We would really like a service experience ike the one we had at Jiko, but Artist Point is incredibly convenient as we will be staying at WL and our children will be babysat in the room while we dine. Does the dining experience match that at Jiko?

Thanks!

VP

My family will be staying at Kidani next Spring for a portion of our stay and look forward to Jiko (like CA Grill, our last evening dinner).

And since we will also be at Bay Lake for a portion of the vacation, Artist Point reservations are also scheduled.

I hope you are able to purchase a TiW card if you typically spend so much money on food for your group.

My family will be staying at Kidani next Spring for a portion of our stay and look forward to Jiko (like CA Grill, our last evening dinner).

And since we will also be at Bay Lake for a portion of the vacation, Artist Point reservations are also scheduled.

I hope you are able to purchase a TiW card if you typically spend so much money on food for your group.

Thanks. We do have a TiW card, but typically signature dining is reserved for my husband and myself. Our upcoming trip includes extended family, and we had planned a few big family meals for the occasion. Artist Point will be date night.

VP

Wow, what a long detailed review!

I don't really let reviews good/bad keep me from trying restaurants at Disney. There are both kinds of reviews for 'every' restaurant there. We 'try' them, then decide for ourselves if they meet our expectations/likes/tastes.

Wow, what a long detailed review!

I don't really let reviews good/bad keep me from trying restaurants at Disney. There are both kinds of reviews for 'every' restaurant there. We 'try' them, then decide for ourselves if they meet our expectations/likes/tastes.

My wife & I agree and, "[D]ecide for ourselves."

For instance, the typical review for Coral Reef is more negative than our experiences. Not only is the view of the aquarium a unique experience, particularly for children, but we find the food made to our tastes. I will add that we typically go for lunch, and therefore, never had dessert here, since we save dessert for dinner.

My wife & I agree and, "[D]ecide for ourselves."

For instance, the typical review for Coral Reef is more negative than our experiences. Not only is the view of the aquarium a unique experience, particularly for children, but we find the food made to our tastes. I will add that we typically go for lunch, and therefore, never had dessert here, since we save dessert for dinner.

A perfect example!

We avoid Coral Reef completely after a couple tries several years ago. We are from an area that has excellent seafood restaurants (deep south LA)

There are restaurants for 'all' of us at Disney - just have to find them. We 'love' 'Ohana - many hate it!

:goodvibes

Disney has changed. They will do whatever they can get away with. Like offering a New York fine dining restaurant style wine list with food that doesn't meet New York fine dining standards.

I didn't think it was that bad, or bad at all. I'll go back. Maybe I'm just letting them get away with it, instead of holding them to a higher standard. But everyone must decide for themselves.

Disney has changed. They will do whatever they can get away with. Like offering a New York fine dining restaurant style wine list with food that doesn't meet New York fine dining standards.

I didn't think it was that bad, or bad at all. I'll go back. Maybe I'm just letting them get away with it, instead of holding them to a higher standard. But everyone must decide for themselves.

There are nuances about Disney Signatures for which we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I was always under the impression that Signatures are intended to be fine dining experiences. I was also under the impression that, other than V&A, CA Grill was the best of Disney Signatures.

Prior to the renovations & menu changes, CA Grill was my favorite all-around restaurant. I would eat here twice per vacation if spending a week at Bay Lake. My most recent occasion was obviously 'below par'.

I write on Yelp quite often. It is always my intention to offer positive, yet critical reviews. I have seen many restaurants take my advice on subsequent visits. The same will likely be true at CA Grill.

I'll venture a guess that the Scallops are less seasoned, the chocolate cake less salty, and the focaccia bread room temperature on future visits. I would not be surprised if Servers are now more aware of marrying bottle contents and/or playing with flatware in plain view. And I would also think that Greeters will be more likely to at least offer taking the shopping bags from people coming off the elevators.

Disney will fix these problems, not because I said so, because nearly 5,000 have read this Thread and will be looking for flaws during their very expensive meal that is, in my opinion, intended to be more than just a room with a view.

Prior to the renovations & menu changes, CA Grill was my favorite all-around restaurant. I would eat here twice per vacation if spending a week at Bay Lake. My most recent occasion was obviously 'below par'.

I thought most of the review was fine, especially the parts that would have been bad in anyone's standards. I'm a bit less confident that the current "emperor has no clothes" push will actually result in any noticeable improvement - I'd be happy to be wrong...

It's the "fine dining" expectation and the quote above that doesn't jibe with my own experiences; that criticism should have already popped up before the refurb. Beyond the food/service, people have been wearing shorts and t-shirts for a while (sandals *should* be put on the ban list) and I don't remember any place at WDW other than V&A ever offering to check stuff.

And I would also think that Greeters will be more likely to at least offer taking the shopping bags from people coming off the elevators.

And do what with them? While some California Grill (Citricos, Artist's Point...) guests do have the convenience of staying in/near the resort or arriving by car, many come right from parks. Checking shopping/personal bags would be hardest at CG.

And do what with them? While some California Grill (Citricos, Artist's Point...) guests do have the convenience of staying in/near the resort or arriving by car, many come right from parks. Checking shopping/personal bags would be hardest at CG.

It is not unheard of to place shopping bags inside the Coat Check room.

I thought most of the review was fine, especially the parts that would have been bad in anyone's standards. I'm a bit less confident that the current "emperor has no clothes" push will actually result in any noticeable improvement - I'd be happy to be wrong...

It's the "fine dining" expectation and the quote above that doesn't jibe with my own experiences; that criticism should have already popped up before the refurb. Beyond the food/service, people have been wearing shorts and t-shirts for a while (sandals *should* be put on the ban list) and I don't remember any place at WDW other than V&A ever offering to check stuff.

Most restaurants have good seats that are desired by patrons and other seating that is less desirable.

CA Grill could try seating patrons wearing t-shirts at the less desired tables when there is dining space in the rear of the restaurant that is less conspicuous. Violations of the dress code should not be rewarded with choice seats towards the windows closest to the MK.

When people walk in and see others wearing t-shirts and shorts seated in prime locations in the dining room, be assured that these onlookers will be wearing t-shirts at their next trip to CA Grill.

CA Grill does little or nothing to discourage violations of their oft repeated dress code. Matter of fact, t-shirts can get rewarded with choice seats.

If CA Grill is not intended to be fine dining, then they should simply serve hamburgers which have better profit margins.

Moreover, I doubt many people reading about or eating in a restaurant that charges $43 for Scallops would not think that it wasn't intended to be a fine dining establishment.

Lastly, if CA Grill is not a Signature restaurant (by Disney's definition, fine dining), then simply call it Unique/Themed/Family Style Dining like Disney does to so many others (i.e., Sci-Fi Theater, Coral Reef) that are better known as being a room with a view.

I am truly amazed at those 'defending' CA Grill by suggesting it was not and is not intended to be a fine dining establishment.

Besides the $43 Scallops & $32 Vegetarian Pasta, that new wall of expensive wine being showcased at the front entrance certainly had me fooled.

T shirts are not against the dress code at California Grill (or any sig except V&A's) unless they contain offensive language. Neither are shorts.:confused3

"At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics."

People in tee shirts are not, in fact, violating the dress code, so they should not be punished with bad tables. Disney has a dress code, and while it may not be strict enough for you, they are the ones who set it.

T shirts are not against the dress code at California Grill (or any sig except V&A's) unless they contain offensive language. Neither are shorts.:confused3

"At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics."

People in tee shirts are not, in fact, violating the dress code, so they should not be punished with bad tables. Disney has a dress code, and while it may not be strict enough for you, they are the ones who set it.

How have we gotten from because they don't expressly state that they will throw you out for the T-shirt that its OK even though they expressly ask for shirts with collars? Have we really become a society that can't conform to the request and will do whatever we feel like until someone specifically says we can't? I have a cartoon on the wall of my office with Frank & Ernest standing in the law library marveling at the number of shelves of books and one says to the other something to the effect of "Amazing when you think we started with 10 commandments." The point being we have had to write volumes of law to parse out all the different ways you can steal and spell out in detail all potential variations because saying not to steal isn't enough. Here, the Signature restaurants say "a collared shirt" but apparently didn't use strong enough language and this is yet another area where Disney needs to act as a cross between a Mother and a Drill Sgt giving explicit directions and spelling out the consequences of every decision a guest can make so the point is crystal clear. Apparently, saying it politely isn't sufficient.

EDITED: I spoke with Disney Dining and t-shirt are now permitted at Signature Dining experiences.

Apology for my earlier post, based on limited dress code information posted for the restaurants.
When you actually BOOK a Signature Dining experience, the more detailed dress code information appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter