CA Grill was Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) It is possible that the purple gnocchi were made from purple sweet potatoes.

2.) I believe that in a later post I mentioned that posting to DisBoard is more likely to elicit a change than speaking with a manager. Also, with a decade of restaurant experience under my belt, I have found that most people who complain want a freebie.

I too hope that you and everyone else have a positive experience at CA Grill.

1. i don't see what the problem is? maybe it should be advertised as such so if you've never seen a purple sweet potato before you're not confused, but the use of it seems to fit in with the rest of the menu.

2. how does posting here elicit more of a change? i don't have years of restaurant experience; however, i do know that with the frequent use of the internet/email/blogs these days, a phone call or in-person meeting goes a lot longer than words on a screen, because it is so rare. just because most people who complain in person are seeking a freebie doesn't mean you have to be one of them, you can decline anything that is offered. i would think the water situation and the hummus (which sounds like a bad batch) were worthy on their own of speaking to a manager at the time of incident.

The California Grill has a dress code. They not only list what is acceptable attire, but also what is not. That leaves a lot of space in the middle that is open to interpretation. Some seem to only be looking at the acceptable list and saying that is the only attire Disney will allow. If that was so, they wouldn't have to list out what is not acceptable.

People can state their own interpretation of the rules, and that is fine. But it is pompous to post it as the right and only way to dress. Disney obviously is not turning people away that are dressed in jeans. It is their rule to enforce. They quite obviously have no problems with a looser interpretation of the dress code.

And as far as looking at the cost and saying the obviously expect you to dress nice, that might be true if we were talking about a restaurant not at WDW. I think all of us know that much of what Disney charges for something, be it a meal or a room, has to do with the location of that meal or room. If you use price as a judge on how people should dress, the tuxes and dresses should be required at CRT. Price indicates nothing at WDW.

1. i don't see what the problem is? maybe it should be advertised as such so if you've never seen a purple sweet potato before you're not confused, but the use of it seems to fit in with the rest of the menu.

2. how does posting here elicit more of a change? i don't have years of restaurant experience; however, i do know that with the frequent use of the internet/email/blogs these days, a phone call or in-person meeting goes a lot longer than words on a screen, because it is so rare. just because most people who complain in person are seeking a freebie doesn't mean you have to be one of them, you can decline anything that is offered. i would think the water situation and the hummus (which sounds like a bad batch) were worthy on their own of speaking to a manager at the time of incident.

1.) How many people know about Purple (Sweet) Potatoes?

Frankly, it is irrelevant if the potato was 'sweet' or not. My guest was essentially 'grossed out' by the unfamiliar purple potato. On the other hand, as a fan of gnocchi, I enjoyed cleaning that plate.

But I digress, if a restaurant is going to serve an item that is special or out of the ordinary, like a purple potato, shouldn't the menu be more descriptive?

For instance, CA Grill menu does include New Smyrna Clams. By your logic, why not just say Clams? Similarly, Short-rib description says '24-hour', Bell & Evans supplies the Chickens, the Scallops are from Georges Bank, and the Salmon is Wild caught from the Columbia River....but no mention of Purple Sweet Potato.

2.) Let me see if I can offer an example:

Mid-meal, a patron at a high-end national steakhouse placed on their head and was immediately asked to remove their wool cap because it violated the company policy. The patron informed the manager that as a chemo-patient, maybe a bit of latitude would be appropriate. The matter rose to the manger needing to call the police. The company has since apologized to that patron and made a charitable donation on their behalf. The internet uncovered a bad manager.

I could have had a one-on-one with the manager at CA Grill and the matter would have likely fallen upon deaf ears. But when 10,000 people read about something on the internet, you can bet that just like the restaurant chain that had to respond to the bad press about that chemo-patient, CA Grill will be far more likely to have bubbles in sparkling water, bread that is not ice cold, hummus that is not horrible, scallops that are not over-seasoned, and a sweet dessert that is not otherwise too salty.

I also wonder what the conversation with the manger would have been with the Server when two bottles of sparkling water arrived flat and the Server had expressed that this is how the sparkling water is served at CA Grill. Do you get it - the Server insulted my intelligence on water. In my day, that Server would have spent a week as a 'bus boy' to become better acquainted with water that is sparkling versus flat.

Lastly, and likely most important for any parent, included in my party was my toddler. Effectively extending the dining experience (i.e., waiting for a replacement for the gnocchi or garlicky pizza) borders on child abuse. Also, just imagine how much more pointed my review would have been had it taken the manager more than just a few minutes to visit my table.

1.)

Lastly, and likely most important for any parent, included in my party was my toddler. Effectively extending the dining experience (i.e., waiting for a replacement for the gnocchi or garlicky pizza) borders on child abuse. Also, just imagine how much more pointed my review would have been had it taken the manager more than just a few minutes to visit my table.

:rotfl:

" borders on child abuse "

I really do hope you are joking and looking for a reaction. If not, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Not just on this board, but the whole internet.

:rotfl:

" borders on child abuse "

I really do hope you are joking and looking for a reaction. If not, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Not just on this board, but the whole internet.

How much time have you spent at full-service restaurants with toddlers?

And have those toddlers been in the Parks all day?

Anything more than an 1-1.5 hours at a restaurant starts to become torture.

Adding an additional 20 minutes to wait for a redone pizza or pasta is abusive to not only the child, but the people at surrounding tables who are likely to witness a child 'acting out'.

Matter of fact, Disney recognizes this better than any place - that's why they offer to bring the children their food first and that's a reason we like traveling to Disney.

I stand by my comment.

Since your comment was so charming, I'll offer you this - I'll pay for your meal if you can find any 4 y.o. who is willing to sit with you for 2 hours for dinner after having spent a day in the Parks.

Disney further recognizes that children may not want to spend time dining out with their parents, that's why childcare is available starting at the dinner hour. When childcare is convenient, our child prefers it to dining out.

If you'd like to have a chat as to why there is no childcare available at the Contemporary, so that all young children could avoid a lengthy dining scenario, I'd be happy to have that chat.

But the only place available for childcare on the Monorail is Neverland Club at the Polynesian. We once used this service when we dined at V&A - it added an hour to the end of our post-meal because we had to loop back to get our child and then loop back again to get to Contemporary.

If waiting for anything with a tired child is child abuse, well they ought to just shut down the whole park. Is it annoying and aggravating? Yes. Is it child abuse on the part of the establishment? Not hardly.

Many a parent has had to leave the table with a child who couldn't sit still and be quiet. It happens. If anyone is being abusive, it would be the parent for forcing the child to sit there, instead of taking them outside and seeing to their needs. It is the parent's job to parent and see to the well being of their child, not a restaurant's or theme park's job.

Was kind of hoping this review didn't end up with a thread that just had various posters attacking each other. But it has. So it's closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter