BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

Disney wants to help the environment, yet they keep selling plastic water bottles and not installing water refill stations throughout the park.
As I say, it's more virtue-signalling and profiteering than actually helping the environment. If Disney really wanted to help the environment, then they'd boost provision of recycling in their parks, reform their merchandise packaging, and fund mass plastic cleanup operations in Asia and Africa, where 90% of the ocean's plastic waste problem is actually occurring.

Disney wants to help the environment, yet they keep selling plastic water bottles and not installing water refill stations throughout the park.

They're not helping squat. They just want to be a part of the club, limit the negative press from the green wacko's and be patted on the back for their effort, while actually accomplishing almost nothing. Hey but that's really all that counts in the green wacko world.

They're also cutting back on those, though...
Which is a ridiculous move that'll only annoy the vast majority, and somewhere down the line, especially come Black Friday and the holiday season, it will fail.
Don't forget about the plastic sacks at all of Disney's retail stores.
Those were made in the USA, and as a result, had a far lower carbon footprint and number of reuses required to recuperate their production's environmental impact. The Parks bags are made in Germany, which, granted, has a further distance to travel from the factory to the Parks, but they, too, have a lower carbon footprint and Germany is a leader in offsetting environmental impact. China, on the other hand, is the worst polluter in the world, and all those reusables made for just a quarter in factories where workers are paid far less than a typical Disney CM (but at least get healthcare and other perks typical of communism thanks to Beijing), that then get shipped on heavily-polluting ships need a significant number of reuses to offset their environmental impact, but given consumer habits, they'll never get reused enough times, and I bet those reusables are even going to get dumped afterwards, unless people do reuse them, but it's more likely they'll do that in a supermarket or a wholesalers than in Disney. Not to mention that if the current US administration slap more anti-Chinese trade tariffs on reusable bags, it'll end up costing Disney even more.

So the straws were bad enough but this?

So if I spill my drink, or it's otherwise contaminated, as I walk around through-out the day do I get another? Is Disney just handing out free drinks then? Because I imagine this happening a lot (or people claiming it for the drink refill).

Even worse, what if I spill on myself or someone else? Is Disney giving out free clothing? Because I'm losing a lot of time going back to my room (I'm offsite but even on-site can take awhile especially depending on your group) and a free drink comp just may not make up for the lost time and costs if I have to do laundry (plus gas for the unexpected trip).

It's one thing to say "Accidents happen," which is true, but this is one that Disney is helping to create since the lids help minimize, not eliminate, these little "oopsies" (especially with kids, maybe those who have mobility issues or even those with "vacation brain").

Maybe they're going to switch to some sort of "sippy cup" lid like StarBucks? I didn't see anything like that though. Not the best solution but better than this I guess since they seem determined.

As long as the water in FL continues to taste like sulfur Disney absolutely needs to sell bottled beverages. No matter how many times it is filtered I simply cannot drink it.
Yep we all pretty much avoid fountain drinks as much as possible. That water really needs fixing.

Well thought-out action is always better than a hasty reaction. Disney is after the headlines here, wants props for being pro-active. But the reality is, people want a plastic straw with their milkshakes and a lid on their drinks. And no one wants to "rough it" on vacation, even for a good cause. They can't win by taking away plastic gift bags while handing out plastic Ziploc bags. Maybe this has been hashed over enough.

I have a feeling the no lids won’t last. Straws are one thing but going to no lids is going to create havoc. They are going to have to do something.

Yeah .... hopefull for both they are readily available if you ask.

I think we are going to pick up some reusable cups/mugs with lids and just transfer to them as need be. Also will bring our own water like usual

More for the kids - most of what my wife and I will drink (if not water) will be cocktails and beer so no lids with that anywa

Yeah .... hopefull for both they are readily available if you ask.

I think we are going to pick up some reusable cups/mugs with lids and just transfer to them as need be. Also will bring our own water like usual

Also, If you're staying at a Disney resort and want a clock in your room/villa, remember to add that to your packing list!

So if I spill my drink, or it's otherwise contaminated, as I walk around through-out the day do I get another? Is Disney just handing out free drinks then? Because I imagine this happening a lot (or people claiming it for the drink refill).

Even worse, what if I spill on myself or someone else? Is Disney giving out free clothing? Because I'm losing a lot of time going back to my room (I'm offsite but even on-site can take awhile especially depending on your group) and a free drink comp just may not make up for the lost time and costs if I have to do laundry (plus gas for the unexpected trip).

It's one thing to say "Accidents happen," which is true, but this is one that Disney is helping to create since the lids help minimize, not eliminate, these little "oopsies" (especially with kids, maybe those who have mobility issues or even those with "vacation brain").

Maybe they're going to switch to some sort of "sippy cup" lid like StarBucks? I didn't see anything like that though. Not the best solution but better than this I guess since they seem determined.

But YOU spilled your drink. Once you buy it, YOU are responsible for it.

This has been working just fine at AK ..... :confused3

This move just convinces me to bring my own drinks into the park that much more. It's like they're doing us all a favor in reminding us that it's not worth $3 for a soda.

AGREED

I really am finding this outrage ............. so ........... WOW ......... especially when there are much worse things happening.

- How have folks survived in the Animal Kingdom the last 10 years without lids and straws? Or do they skip that park altogether? Or I suppose you eat before you go and after you leave.
- Why can't these people drink out of cups? I laugh, my pediatrician made me teach my kids how to drink out of a cup before allowing sippy cups. Maybe these folks never learned how.
- I get not fun to walk with, but not impossible and maybe have the party share in the carrying??? Again ... AK.
- If it's an issue throw a sipper cup, refillable mug, drink bottle or tervis type cup in your bag. Pour it over into the cup at the counter, not like next guest's food is ever ready that fast anyway, so there is time.
- Drink water, the spill will be refreshing ...
- Drink bottled drinks. This includes bringing your own and saving money.
- I guess my more personal one .. why are spill age kids drinking soda? The water, juice and milk comes sealed.

NOTE: I completely understand there are folks with disabilities that this is an issue for. My DS has a disability .... I always carry everything he might need. I never rely on others.

Win-Win for me.
I'll have more money in my pocket
for really special treats ;) and I'll be drinking more water,
so healthier and hydrated.

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

Last edited:
For those who really prefer a lid, they make silicone ones:

($3.59 for 6!)
SCLH-EB96901_COFFEE_280_280.jpg

and they come in other colors, too:
SCLH-EB96901_160_160.jpg

https://www.opentip.com/search.php?...MIvsagzv2I3QIVgVuGCh2I2QM9EAkYBSABEgKNofD_BwE

Seems like they would be very light to pack and way easier to clean than straws!

For those who really prefer a lid, they make silicone ones:

($3.59 for 6!)
SCLH-EB96901_COFFEE_280_280.jpg

and they come in other colors, too:
SCLH-EB96901_160_160.jpg

https://www.opentip.com/search.php?...MIvsagzv2I3QIVgVuGCh2I2QM9EAkYBSABEgKNofD_BwE

Seems like they would be very light to pack and way easier to clean than straws!

But would they fit on the paper cups. Reading the reviews seems everyone is speaking on using these lids with real cups.

I wouldn't mind them at all if they did fit. I don't want to be carrying a bunch of mugs.

But YOU spilled your drink. Once you buy it, YOU are responsible for it.

This has been working just fine at AK ..... :confused3

AGREED

I really am finding this outrage ............. so ........... WOW ......... especially when there are much worse things happening.

- How have folks survived in the Animal Kingdom the last 10 years without lids and straws? Or do they skip that park altogether? Or I suppose you eat before you go and after you leave.
- Why can't these people drink out of cups? I laugh, my pediatrician made me teach my kids how to drink out of a cup before allowing sippy cups. Maybe these folks never learned how.
- I get not fun to walk with, but not impossible and maybe have the party share in the carrying??? Again ... AK.
- If it's an issue throw a sipper cup, refillable mug, drink bottle or tervis type cup in your bag. Pour it over into the cup at the counter, not like next guest's food is ever ready that fast anyway, so there is time.
- Drink water, the spill will be refreshing ...
- Drink bottled drinks. This includes bringing your own and saving money.
- I guess my more personal one .. why are spill age kids drinking soda? The water, juice and milk comes sealed.

NOTE: I completely understand there are folks with disabilities that this is an issue for. My DS has a disability .... I always carry everything he might need. I never rely on others.

Win-Win for me.
I'll have more money in my pocket
for really special treats ;) and I'll be drinking more water,
so healthier and hydrated.

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

I'm glad I'm not the only one essentially laughing at how over the top this thread has become. Just to make sure we are clear, Disney is removing a tiny amount of plastic, and that's all. Prices aren't currently going up, they aren't refusing to serve people, they're just getting rid of a little plastic. I agree that it is a PR stunt, but it will have minimal impact on the great majority of us. Afraid you'll now spill your venti beverage or soda? That was always a possibility! Try not to dwell on it and enjoy the rest of your trip. If it is a big enough deal to you, let your money do the talking and just don't go.

At WDW now and went to Jock Lindsey’s in part to get one of the poison apple glow cubes and they don’t have them yet and the waitress said they don’t know when they are getting them and even that they are still tweaking the recipe for the drink

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter