BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

That was my reasoning. I did have concerns about spillages skyrocketing, but then AK is a sui generis case, having been the only WDW park to never have lids from the onset, but as it's been years since I've last been, I can't gauge the likelihood of drink spillage in crowds in AK vs the other WDW parks, though I can imagine MK's crowds being a lot heavier.

Sorry if I missed it, do they plan to offer "strawless" lids? There's countless examples.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Sorry if I missed it, do they plan to offer "strawless" lids? There's countless examples.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Nothing has been said about offering an alternative lid. They are still putting lids on kids cups and hot beverages, and they will give you a lid if you ask.

Nothing has been said about offering an alternative lid. They are still putting lids on kids cups and hot beverages, and they will give you a lid if you ask.

Ah I see. So it's most likely just plastic reduction in general, not like AK and hurting animals, missed that part sorry..

I went back and checked my pics from 2015. Granted, it was 3 years ago, but the AK cups had lids then.

I have pictures from 2010 with no lid (soda from the Dawa bar). I don't think we got lids at Harambe Market last year, either.

ao the way to get around lids and such is to enstall drink stations in all quick service restaurants or areas and you don't have to deal with lids or sell "mugs" or glasses that would fit in normal size drink carriers and be refillable. or better yet get the freestyle machines and the mugs could have a chip. it works well at universal.

ao the way to get around lids and such is to enstall drink stations in all quick service restaurants or areas and you don't have to deal with lids or sell "mugs" or glasses that would fit in normal size drink carriers and be refillable. or better yet get the freestyle machines and the mugs could have a chip. it works well at universal.

Although, Universal quit allowing people without the mugs to fill up their water bottles at the Freestyle machines. Our first trip, they were allowing this. It was awesome! So, instead, we usually end up buying lots of plastic bottles of water, except when we go to a QS or have leftover water in our glasses at a TS. We usually end up buying lots of bottles at Disney too, just because it's way less hassle. We usually have a large bottle of water in the room to fill up in the morning or mid-day or we do the QS at the hotel. They are making it difficult to be environmentally friendly though.

I went back and checked my pics from 2015. Granted, it was 3 years ago, but the AK cups had lids then.

Are you sure? I don't think AK ever used lids.

For example, here's a post from 2012: http://www.tipsfromthedisneydiva.co...ic-lids-in-animal-kingdom-animal-kingdom-tip/ ( "...they don’t put LIDS on any of the drinks that you BUY! They’ve made some paper-based straws so at least you get those now...")

And 2007: https://www.disboards.com/threads/bringing-food-into-animal-kingdom.1373161/#post-17288690 "* In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted."

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The second lid in your first picture kind of looks like the Imagination pavilion logo. Would be cool (if they went the straw-less lid direction) if they had different lids with different logos on them for each park. Especially EPCOT. They could have different lids with the different pavilion logos on them. I feel like that's something 90's Walt Disney World would have done...

The second lid in your first picture kind of looks like the Imagination pavilion logo. Would be cool (if they went the straw-less lid direction) if they had different lids with different logos on them for each park. Especially EPCOT. They could have different lids with the different pavilion logos on them. I feel like that's something 90's Walt Disney World would have done...

Logo's-good idea.

Maybe they should just use paper lids with logos.

I would rather have this lid than no lid, or even over a plastic straw lid at request-still can't drink out of it, even though it's less likely to spill.

enhance

enhance

Ah I see. So it's most likely just plastic reduction in general, not like AK and hurting animals, missed that part sorry..

Right. Though with the amount of microplastics showing up in fish, concern for animals is a big part of the movement for reducing single-use plastics, materials that take 500-1000 years to break down.

I think we’ll see alternative materials show up with demand. If the demand doesn’t happen, then it was never a big deal to begin with.

Right. Though with the amount of microplastics showing up in fish, concern for animals is a big part of the movement for reducing single-use plastics, materials that take 500-1000 years to break down.

I think we’ll see alternative materials show up with demand. If the demand doesn’t happen, then it was never a big deal to begin with.

I got ya.

Yea well as you can see, there's paper lids and they do not need straws already so..

Last edited:
An issue here is the use of absolute terms, such as always or never. For instance the approval of removing straws because I NEVER use one. Well, with a chocolate shake or root beer float is an exception to the absolute term. Or a family might use straws for the little ones being an exception. Just because your family NEVER uses straws does not mean the lack of straws won't pose an imposition on another. A previous poster gave an excellent reason, a disability, to use a straw. The argument for / against lacks the view of what is right for everyone when deciding the rules. Is it right for everyone (a permissible use of an absolute term) to do without straws? I have a fair degree of humility to state that I do not know what is right for everyone. Are you sure that the position you take is right for everyone? The family of six, yes they do exist, shopping for the day without bags or carrying sufficient reusable? Exactly how many reusable is that?

An issue here is the use of absolute terms, such as always or never. For instance the approval of removing straws because I NEVER use one. Well, with a chocolate shake or root beer float is an exception to the absolute term. Or a family might use straws for the little ones being an exception. Just because your family NEVER uses straws does not mean the lack of straws won't pose an imposition on another. A previous poster gave an excellent reason, a disability, to use a straw. The argument for / against lacks the view of what is right for everyone when deciding the rules. Is it right for everyone (a permissible use of an absolute term) to do without straws? I have a fair degree of humility to state that I do not know what is right for everyone. Are you sure that the position you take is right for everyone? The family of six, yes they do exist, shopping for the day without bags or carrying sufficient reusable? Exactly how many reusable is that?

It doesn't matter what I use or you use or that guy uses.
There are no rules or laws that are decided as to what is right for everyone.
Usage is personal as to need,
Impact to environment is not opinion but one's choice.
It absolutely does not matter what my position is.

There is a BUSINESS that already moved in this direction at one park.
There is a BUSINESS that has decided to not offer a PRODUCT resort wide.
It is a good move for the environment and it likely saves them money.
Disney supposedly sorts their trash ... can you imagine pulling out lids/straws.

Disney World is an optional, luxury vacation.
When your vacation becomes stressful or not providing what you want.
Vacation somewhere else.
Take your money somewhere else.
That is what I do and will continue to do.

OR make it work for your group.
My DS is disabled, we are used to making sure we have everything he needs.
If a place does not supply, then it's on us to supply.
I carry drink bottles we can pour our drinks in.
I carry a great shopping bag that folds up in a tiny pouch.
Now I might take two or budget to buy a reusable I can use later as a gift bag.

I get this is all "inconvenient" but we have got to train ourselves to be better stewards.

After spending the last week at WDW, I can tell everyone that Starbucks was the only place in the parks that gave us lids. Some locations still have straw dispensers, but I asked for lids/straws at several locations and was flat out denied. So I don't think they're planning to offer them by request.

After spending the last week at WDW, I can tell everyone that Starbucks was the only place in the parks that gave us lids. Some locations still have straw dispensers, but I asked for lids/straws at several locations and was flat out denied. So I don't think they're planning to offer them by request.

Thanks for the Starbucks report, I've been wondering. :)

What about paper straws. Seems reasonable to have paper cups, paper lids with a spout "and" a hole for a paper straw.

What about paper straws. Seems reasonable to have paper cups, paper lids with a spout "and" a hole for a paper straw.

Paper has its own issues - the production is worse for the environment and it's heavier to transport, which means more fossil fuel use (it's sort of the opposite with plastic, where a lot of the environmental issues are back-loaded). And a lot of people hate the mouthfeel of a paper straw. (Less of an issue with lids, of course.)

The best current solution would likely be compostable plastic. If it were properly sorted for recycling and/or landfills, then it's a good solution. If it winds up in waterways, then you have some of the same issues again. And I think compostable plastic is a bit more expensive. But I think it would work as the most effective all-around solution that balances the environment and convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter