• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bye Bye, Boys! We'll have fun storming the castle! Jan '16 Mom/Daughter TR

kcpinwdw

DIS Veteran
Welcome!

We left the boys at home and had some mother/daugther fun! Jan 23rd-Jan 27th! :wave2:

Cast of Characters:

Mom (me), Casey, age 36
Daughter, Sylvie, age 3 1/2

First, some Disney History...

Since our twins were born we have taken several family trips to WDW, starting when they were 15 months old:

AK2013.JPG

The next trip was with our extended family in Dec 2014; my husband's twin brother and his family, my MIL, and my first cousin who lives in FL and joined us for the weekend. I think this is the trip where my addiction to WDW vacations was solidified:

IMG_6776.JPG

Then we took a long weekend in May 2015, just the 4 of us. We stayed at AKL. This picture is on the jungle cruise:

photo (5).JPG
Then, we took an 8 night trip over Aug/Sept 2015, split stay between Beach Club and the Poly. It was super hot but the crowds were great:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Next up, a bit more about us, and about planning our mom/daughter trip!

A bit more about us:

I went to Disneyland a lot as a kid because I had family in San Diego who had annual passes. We did one big Disney World trip when I was 9 or 10, in 1989. I dont remember much about it but I do have some great vintage photos:

1989.JPG

I remember that typhoon Lagoon was having it's grand opening and my brother vomited into the sand. I remember swimming in the tank with the sharks. I dont think we went back to WDW as a family, but I went with some friends when I was 16. We took a train from NY to FL, by ourselves. My friend's grandparents met us in Orlando and took us to the Magic Kingdom for the day, and we ate at the Crystal Palace.

My favorite Disney movies are Tangled, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast. But I hold a fondness in my heart for the movies from my childhood, like Fox and the Hound and The Rescuers. My favorite attractions are Peter Pan, the Jungle Cruise, Wishes, and It's a small world (I know, I know...). I was so excited when I got to meet the mice from Cinderella during our last trip, Suzy and Perla. What a treat!

suzyandperlaresize.jpg

Sylvie is a sweet 3 year old, who had her 1/2 birthday during our trip. She loves all things Disney Princess, especially Anna, Tiana, and Belle. She is a twin, and her brother is named Bennett. Her favorite Disney movies are Tangled, Frozen, and Cinderella. She also loves Doc McStuffins and her Sophia doll, though she doesnt particularly love the Sophia cartoon. She has has a big imagination and is very easy going, but sometimes is a bit shy at first meeting new people. She doesnt have this with characters, though, and would be happy at Disney just going from meet and greet to meet and greet! Her favorite rides are Under the Sea, It's a Small World, Gran Fiesta Tour, and the FInding Nemo ride.

My plan, having twins, is to be able to do something special with them individually once a year. Sylvie went first because Bennett tends to be "higher maintenance," and so Sylvie and I dont get a lot of individual time when we are together as a family... from riding rides, to where we sit at the table, the pairing is almost always me and Bennett, and Daddy with Sylvie.

Next up: Planning our trip

Great intro to your family!
I knew I liked you and your favorites confirms it.
My favorite movies are Tangled and Cinderella and the Rescuers.
Favorite all time rides - It's A Small World and Peter Pan. No excuses or apologies. It is just who I am!

I think it is great that you took the time to have some one on one time with your daughter and then will do the same for your son.

I started planning the trip at the end of last year. Originally we booked WL club level and had a three night stay plan. But then southwest had an airfare sale and it made sense to fly home the next day instead, so we had a split stay. Then I got nervous about the construction and moved our whole reservation over to the Yacht Club. Because of all the money we saved dropping the club level, and the large number of character meals I packed into our short trip, I decided to add Disney Dining Plan. I've never used it before because my kids basically live off air, but I used the dis trip planner website and the numbers worked for 1 adult and 1 kid. So we went for it!

Our rough plans now looked like this:

Sat, Jan 23rd: Leave, arrive MCO around 6pm, ME to Yacht Club. NO plans except go get my AP activated.
Sun, Jan 24th: MK day. Princess Tea Party. CP for dinner.
Monday, Jan 25th: BBB at Disney Springs, afternoon at Epcot, Akershus dinner
TUesday Jan 26th: MK day
Wednesday: Early ME home :(

I'm excited to do a post about the Tea PArty! It was an extraordinary experience!

Woo hoo . First to join in!

Awesome, Pete! Now that we are home I need to catch up on your TR too!!!

I knew I liked you and your favorites confirms it.

:love:

and then will do the same for your son.

I already booked it too, and took the days off work... Contemporary the first couple days of May. But I kind of want DH and SYlvie to come too, and have Ben and I just do some special things together. Due to his increased likelihood (well, certainty, really) of tantrums I am not sure just one adult is the best idea.

Day 1: Travel to FL

It's Saturday, Jan 23rd, and winter storm Jonas is Ravaging the east coast and causing some MAJOR ANXIETY to this traveler! We are driving three hours from Vermont to fly direct from Albany, NY. Accuweather shows the storm cutting off in a neat line directly south of Albany... so I am worried about aircraft more than I am worried about snow. I called southwest, wait for 1 hour (!), and the lady assures me that the incoming flight is from Florida so I should have no problem. Excellent! :worship:

Our drive down to Albany was uneventful. Sylvie watched DIsney movies in the back seat and then took a TWO HOUR nap, which made me feel much better about our potentially late night. SHe didnt wake up until I had parked in the parking garage at the airport!

CHeck in at ALB was fast and easy, and we were quite early. We headed down to the gate and I immediately realize I left my phone and ipad charger at home. Whoops! We head to the gift shop and grab a handy all-in-one charger for under $10... score! Then I went to starbucks for a short cappuccino, and I grabbed a slice of pizza. We headed back to the gate, and Sylvie hung out in the stroller enjoying youtube videos on the ipad while it charged, and I chatted with some folks waiting for a plane. TUrns out they had been there ALL day. THey had the first direct flight out in the morning, but the incoming plane was smaller than expected and 30 or 40 people got the boot! Some went the next flight around 11am, and this family (who had crappy C boarding positions) was now booked on my flight (3pm ish) with priority seating. They were not upset, really, though, because they got GREAT compensation from Southwest. THey were joking that the bump would pay for their next round trip to Puerto Rico, ha ha. And the moral of the story is don't make ADRs for arrival day!

Here we are in the airport, I wish you could see our travel shirts better! They are mickey ears from a vintage movie poster print, and say "LIke Mother, Like daughter"

IMG_7066.JPG

Our flight arrives on time and we board during family boarding. Even though the entire A group boarded first, we sat together in the second row of the plane with a sweet elderly lady who preboarded in a wheelchair. She was traveling alone to a grandson's wedding in FL. She had a nice nap the whole flight.

Our flight was very uneventful, and quiet. Sylvie did great on the plane watching a movie. We arrive about 25 minutes ahead of schedule to MCO. We gate checked our stroller and were quickly off to grab our one checked bag.

On the "poor man's monorail" to the main terminal:

IMG_7071.JPG

And then we see our first glimpse of Disney!

IMG_7070.JPG

We didnt yellow tag our luggage due to the later hour of our flight, so we grabbed our bag and headed down to the Magical Express. Our bus was waiting for us and already pretty full, so we didnt wait long before we were on our way.

But Yacht Club was the 4th and final stop, so it was quite the ride. We facetimes Daddy and Bennett on the drive to wish him goodnight. We arrived at the resort around 7pm.

CHeck in was a breeze, and we headed upstairs to drop off our luggage. The CM marked our room on the map and it wasnt even close to the correct area our room was actually located. Like, jokingly horrible, totally random x marking the spot. I kept looking at the map and at the room numbers and realizing she was WAY off, ha ha. ANyway it was SO FAR of a walk to our room but we found it. It looked clean and we had a little view which I wasnt expecting.

Tomorrow we had an early ADR in the MK so I wanted to activate my new AP tonight, so I loaded SYlvie in the stroller and we took a walk to the international gateway. The CM activating it was so nice and funny. He loved we were from VT and we talked Beer for a bit. I got my AP card, and we headed back towards Yacht club for bed.

As we were walking it hit 8pm, and we had a great view of the Star Wars fireworks from DHS.

IMG_7073.JPG

We just stopped for a few minutes because I was pooped. We headed up to our room and went straight to bed! Big day tomorrow!

Following along!

So happy you had no flight issues, a successful travel day is always the best way to start a trip!

Joining in! So glad that the snow didn't cause you any issues! How funny that the CM got the room location wrong. How magical to get the fireworks on your way back to your room! :thumbsup2

I am so glad your travel day went smoothly! Good suggestion to not make an ADR for your arrival day.

Following along!

So happy you had no flight issues, a successful travel day is always the best way to start a trip!

Thanks! Good to "see" you ;)

Joining in! So glad that the snow didn't cause you any issues! How funny that the CM got the room location wrong. How magical to get the fireworks on your way back to your room! :thumbsup2

It was pretty funny in retrospect, I should have brought the map home. I was all excited because she showed me a room overlooking the wedding gazebo, and we got a room overlooking the roof down near Yachtmans steakhouse, ha ha.

I am so glad your travel day went smoothly! Good suggestion to not make an ADR for your arrival day.

I've already broken this rule planning my next trip, btw :rotfl:

I hope to start on Sunday this evening! Stay tuned!

Day 2: 1st Park day

Up early this morning for breakfast at Be Our Guest. I love this breakfast. We have done it several times and it's an excellent value to get in early, and avoid the crowds a bit.

Unforunately I didnt sleep very well last night. At about 2am our neighbors came home and were quite loud. It felt like they were in the room with us, actually! It was pretty terrible and I couldnt go back to sleep, even after they got quiet around 2:45am. I think most of the noise was through the door that adjoins the rooms. I was up until about 4:30, and then drifted off for an hour or so. Luckily, as the mother of twin toddlers, a poor night's sleep is nothing new, and I felt fine when I woke for the day at 530. I popped in the shower and laid out our clothes for the day, and Sylvie's dress for the Tea Party, which I planned to change her into later in the morning.

I packed up the stroller, got dressed, and woke the princess up right before leaving the room. It's about 620 so I am anxious to get downstairs! First stop Ale and Compass, to fill my lovely resort mug with coffee. It was a COLD morning. We were bundled up as I headed to the bus stop.

true story:

b562045ca0792b4b939f0fb80bf93f06.jpg

Waiting for the bus.... it's too cold. A taxi drives by... and I hail it down. Because even though MK is a PITA by taxi I dont want to sit outside in the cold anymore! So we popped in the cab and were dropped off at a nearly empty TTC at about 6:55. We walked right to the resort monorail, which was waiting for a 7 am start time. There were about three families waiting already, including two women bundled up like it was 20 below... as a vermonter I had to smile!

de2668d878c13bcf61c2f9bceb26c649.jpg

As soon as we got to the line they opened the monorail. And we got the Star Wars Monorail, the first train of the day! I did not take any pictures because I am a slacker.

We got to MK by 715, and were held behind the bag check area for a while. It was not too crowded and I chatted with the family next to me, and quickly realized I "knew" them from the DIS January facebook group--- so that was cool and awkward.

Before we knew it we were waiting again, and promptly at 745 we were let into MK. We headed right to BOG and were among the first checking in. Quick stop at the castle for a photo, of course!

castlemeandsylvie.jpg

We checked into BOG at 8am, we had preordered so got through the line very quickly. I nabbed us a seat by the snowy window, next to our internet buddies from the morning. I got the croissant doughnut and Sylvie had the kid's bacon and eggs. We were done eating at 825, and I refilled my coffee and out the door we went. We decided that we wanted to ride Peter Pan first. But we had some time to kill, so we popped into the gift shop by Philharmagic. I wanted to get Sylvie an autograph book. I wasnt sure she would be into it but I thought I would try. She fell in love with the Princess Minnie, which I bought for her for the selfish reason of really wanting the Mickey fleece blanket "purchase with purchase." It's super cute but not as high quality as the postcard one from last year.

We gathered at the benches in from of Pinocchio Village Haus. At about 840 the CM told us Peter Pan was open, and we headed down. We walked through the new extended cue and were the first family on the ride. THen we got off, cross the street, and were the first family to ride It's SMall World. Our new friends followed us and shared our boat. I was glad because it was pretty weird being totally alone on IASW, with all empty boats both in front of us and behind us!

We were off Small World just after 9am and it was clear the RD crowd had arrived. We decided to ride Under the Sea. Unfortunately it was down, so we popped next door and met Ariel instead. WE had about a 15 min wait, but I was anxious because I wanted head out to be early for the tea party.

IMG_7081.JPG

Sylvie was SUPER INTO the autographs. SHe was all business, actually, until they signed their names. IT was pretty cute! Now that Ariel was visited we walked back to the stroller and walked against the tide towards the exit. We popped onto the resort monorail (star wars again!) and headed to the Grand FLoridian to get ready for our Princess Tea Party!

Next up: Princess tea party!

Looks like a great start to the morning!

I am very excited to hear about the tea party!

Love mommy and daughter trips!! :D It took one with my DD19 when she was 17 and we had SO much fun.

Looks like a good - if way too early start to the day. No problems with Sylvie being up that early. When our DD was little we probably could have done that. Now that she's hitting Teenager-dom, rope drop is a lot to ask for!

Looks like a great start to the morning!

I am very excited to hear about the tea party!

Thanks! I hopefully can work on the post this evening, I have my photos all ready :)

Love mommy and daughter trips!!

:welcome:Thanks! We had a great time!

Looks like a good - if way too early start to the day.

I am a super early riser usually anyway. Probably because I fall asleep shortly after the three year old does, ha ha ha!

Love this thread! Sounds like a blast :)

:welcome:

I am a super early riser too but unfortunately every time I have been to WDW I am with people who are not.
I might just have to plan a BOG breakfast at MK on our next trip anyway and convince them to join me or else have a solo breakfast and have the rest join me later.

I would like to at least one time experience MK early before the crowds arrive. We have made it to early entry hour. It was great to get the must do rides done in Fantasyland before everyone else arrived.

I would like to at least one time experience MK early before the crowds arrive

It was really awesome to be the first rider on not one but two rides! Stay tuned for Tuesday, when we are the first guests at the whole park...

Day 2 (cont): Disney's Perfectly Princess Tea

We arrived at the gorgeous Grand Floridian lobby at about 10am. We popped into the bathroom next to the cafe and changed into Sylvie's princess dress. Then we popped into the lobby to wait for check in to start. First, some photos of my little Princess:

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

We quickly saw another little girl in the lobby dressed as Aurora and they practiced their twirling together. The mother looked really familiar and was an unreal level of gorgeous so I am pretty sure she was an actress. Sometimes I am bad about placing people though. I will figure it out. True Story: Once in LA I was watching a concert at the Hollywood bowl and I knew the woman behind me was an actress but I couldnt place her. I put a photo on facebook and everything trying to figure it out. About 6 years later I was watching a rerun of that old Ryan Murphy show, Popular, and there she was! I knew right away it was who we were sitting in front of, ha ha. So at some point I will figure out who this woman was too. Anyway, she was sweet and we chatted while we were waiting.

Then check in time came and we gathered in front of the entrance, waiting for Rose Petal. The woman who runs the tea room (I am sure she has a fancy name) talked to the children and found out who was having a birthday, and how old everyone was, etc. After a few moments, Rose Petal came out and invited each child by name to enter. She gave them a crown and we were each seated at our table.

IMG_7087.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG
Sylvie looks a little nervous in this one!

Really they should have a photopass person at the tea. It would have been nice to put my phone away.

We were led to a table for two along the diving wall of the tea room. All the little girls sat facing in, for a good view of the show. Waiting at each seat was a Princess Aurora Doll. Sylvie was in shock that it was hers to keep. We sat next to my maybe-a-celebrity mommy.

IMG_7091.JPG

Rose Petal then had all the girls open their napkins together, and a sweet charm bracelet was hidden inside. Rose Petal introduced the live musician on the keyboard. I was pretty impressed with Rose and the whole showmanship aspect, it felt like an intimate dinner theater.

Soon they delivered our tea, which I enjoyed, though i was tempted to ask for some coffee, ha ha. Sylvie was given a little pink tea pot of apple juice, which she would not touch. She wouldnt try it, despite my reassurances it was juice! Kids! Luckily she had no such qualms about the food, and ate the most I think I have ever seen her eat in one sitting. She loved the little heart shaped sandwiches and grapes.

IMG_7095.JPG

After much fanfare and songs and such, we were joined by Princess Aurora in a surprise reveal. Rose Petal had all the kids in the center to sing the song from the start of Sleeping Beauty, with sign language. When they finished, Aurora was behind them.
IMG_7099.JPG

Surprise!

IMG_7100.JPG

They walked around the room parade style, and when everyone got back to their seats, it was time for cake! They paraded around a big decorated prop cake, then brought out slices of a wedding-type cake. The cake was very good. My photos of the big cake came out like crap, so Im not posting them. But here is one of the kid enjoying!

IMG_7105.JPG

While we were enjoying the cake, both Rose Petal and Aurora came around for individual time with the kids, and brought them yet more gifts. Rose Petal brought a little mesh bag with a necklace, which was basically a plastic jewel on a ribbon. Sylvie wore this necklace A LOT on our trip, she just loved it. IMG_7108.JPG

I can't attach any more photos so I will continue in another post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter