Buying “sold out” resorts direct vs Copper Creek

So I tried my hand at resale, and I will likely try again at sompoint, as I do see there is significant savings. Since I am incredibly not patient, and really wanting to book a reservation, I decided to call DVC direct yesterday after finding out Disney took my contract back. I spoke to a very friendly guide. I told her I definitely wanted to buy, and asked if all they were selling was Aulani and Copper Creek. I mentioned that I have heard about waitlisting, and asked if you had to be a member to do so. She said the waitlist is open to anyone, but it’s not publicly advertised. I said I was interested in Saratoga Springs. She did tell me the expiration dates would be earlier, and I said I understood that. She asked if it was available would I be ready to buy, and I said yes. So she put me on hold, and when she returned, she told me that Saratoga Springs was available, with either a February, March, or April UY, and it’s $150pp. I find it very interesting, especially with all of these buy backs recently, that they have it available with no waitlist at all.

Where they “get you” on this the most is she went back to Copper Creek, and said if I buy there instead, I will get last years points. (I know this is a sales tactic, and not really a freebie). However I would only get those points if I purchase a December UY. I have a friend that just added 50 points at CC last week, her UY is June, and she was also “given” 50 extra points. I see why so many say to buy resale first, or at least why it helps to have an existing contract in place. Apparently if I wanted another UY, I would not get “last years points.” Also, if I buy at Saratoga I also wouldn’t get “extra” points.

Has anyone had success in buying direct where you can get “last years” points on a UY you prefer? Or getting the same on a “sold out” resort?
But if your friend decided that she needed to use those CCV points during this month because she just wanted another trip this month, she would have to use the "extra" points or borrow the 2018 points.

Even better, tell her to put you on a WL for the UY you want and in the meantime you'll look for resale, fastest wins. I bet you'll be called back pretty quickly.
Definitely going to try this tactic on my next call. After more consideration of CCV, the high MF, and the unappealing (to us) decor of the studios and 1 bedrooms (not to mention the fact that both of those only sleep 4), I am fairly certain my heart is still set on AKV. So I am going to insist that I want AKV with a September or October UY and ask about banking the points.

So my guide just called and told me my waitlist came through. I can choose August or September UY at AKV. I'm torn right now. I haven't seen ANY appealing AKV contracts on the resale sites and the percentage they are taking with ROFR seems astounding. But then I just now saw on the ROFR thread that a 160 point LOADED contract passed at $100pp. It was an international seller. Do you think that has any bearing? The total cost of the resale contract is my total cost for 100 points direct. My impatience is killing me and is going to prove expensive.:rolleyes:

So my guide just called and told me my waitlist came through. I can choose August or September UY at AKV. I'm torn right now. I haven't seen ANY appealing AKV contracts on the resale sites and the percentage they are taking with ROFR seems astounding. But then I just now saw on the ROFR thread that a 160 point LOADED contract passed at $100pp. It was an international seller. Do you think that has any bearing? The total cost of the resale contract is my total cost for 100 points direct. My impatience is killing me and is going to prove expensive.:rolleyes:

It can be difficult to be patient and also to try again if you've had a contract ROFR'd but look at the long term picture. If more points are better for your needs you're going to be happier that you took a little more time for resale. Well, most likely you will be! :)

Buying quickly retail to get that next trip and considering it a savings is a recipe for wasting lots of money and making a poor set of choices in terms of UY, home resort and number of points. The savings of one or 2 trips is certainly not worth doing so.

I agree with @KAT4DISNEY and @Dean ... 60 points is SIX more nights per year in a value studio in August or even FOUR weeknights in a value studio over easter break (highest cost points), EVERY YEAR. Even if you were staying in 2BR, it would be 1-2 more nights a year. Every year.

I know it's hard to wait, but you do get quite a lot more if you bide your time for the right resale contract.

Another vote for waiting for the right resale contract. I had to wait for months last year for the appropriate VGF contracts to come on for my addonitis. I had an extremely specific search: 150(ish) points split between two contracts preferably with the same seller to save on closing costs. Lo and behold, I got a 100pt contract and a 60pt contract from the same seller in my UY after waiting maybe 1-2 months for $130pp. I tried to repeat this process with a BLT add-on this year, but the price for anything under 100 points (and sometimes 100pts) was cost prohibitive. I am trying to just add on a 150pt. contract now. Bottom line, the wait for the right contract will be worth it. Make sure to sign up for every single email list, twitter, FB page, etc. That way, you will be the 1st one to offer when the right one for the right price comes along!

Another vote for waiting for the right resale contract. I had to wait for months last year for the appropriate VGF contracts to come on for my addonitis. I had an extremely specific search: 150(ish) points split between two contracts preferably with the same seller to save on closing costs. Lo and behold, I got a 100pt contract and a 60pt contract from the same seller in my UY after waiting maybe 1-2 months for $130pp. I tried to repeat this process with a BLT add-on this year, but the price for anything under 100 points (and sometimes 100pts) was cost prohibitive. I am trying to just add on a 150pt. contract now. Bottom line, the wait for the right contract will be worth it. Make sure to sign up for every single email list, twitter, FB page, etc. That way, you will be the 1st one to offer when the right one for the right price comes along!

Agree with the previous few posts. Also make sure you download any resale broker apps that have custom alerts you can set. That was the key in my getting into contract on two next to impossible to find VGC addon contracts. I beat an e-mailed offer by three minutes because I called right after the alert went off.

I hate that both of our contracts got taken and it has pushed us both to consider direct pricing :scared: The guide I spoke with offered me CCV with a Sept UY with 2017 points. Said if I got AKV (what my resale contract was for and what I love), there would be no 2017 points but now I can’t remember if we discussed UY for AKV. AKV direct is only $11 cheaper than CCV however. So for the extra 11 years, if I’m going to go direct, I’m going to go for CCV. I’m only buying 75 direct though. I WILL eventually get some AKV points!!!! (Resale)
Just wondering, is AKV direct $11 less than CCV with the developer’s incentives? Or CCV list?

Gil

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter