Buyers Remorse when Personal Tragedy Strikes

Weeping! This all touches deeply close to home, indeed. Hugs to you, @TexasChick123. And more hugs showered around those sharing your stories. Aren't we blessed by the many hearts, human and animal, which cheer, encourage and love on us?

@kboo, I can't quite get through the quote you posted. It is so difficult to read through the tears. Thanks for that.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost pets too and I think it's fair to say it's a loss quite unlike any other.

:hug:

Thank you. It's getting a little better each day, but it'll always be a sad event in our lives. Thankfully my two young kids keep me distracted, so I can't just sit around and think about it all the time.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I can truly feel your pain, as we lost our 5 1/2 year old bulldog last July while we were in Disney. We had found out only a month before that he had lymphoma. My entire family was a mess. We tried to come up with any trials to enter him in as we could not afford chemo treatments, and didn't want to see him suffer. We went the steroid course, and for a little while he seemed a little better. My husband ultimately decided we were too close to vacation to change and risk all the money we had tied up, and had also suffered emotional trauma with my father having a massive heart attack and flat-lining twice 10 days before our trip - and my daughters and I found him and raced him to the hospital, so my husband decided we really needed a little reprieve when the dr. said my father would be o.k. We boarded our baby with the vet and called every day. 5 Days in while at Disney Studios we received a call from the vet saying our "Wrinkles" was not going to make it much longer and she knew we did not want to prolong his pain. I had my brother go and be with him and he called us to let us know he was at peace. So, we truly understand. We were not going to visit the Studios this trip, as the memory will definitely be painful, but my husband said we should go and celebrate his memory. It is hard, and we all still miss him dearly, but that means he is still in our hearts.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I can truly feel your pain, as we lost our 5 1/2 year old bulldog last July while we were in Disney. We had found out only a month before that he had lymphoma. My entire family was a mess. We tried to come up with any trials to enter him in as we could not afford chemo treatments, and didn't want to see him suffer. We went the steroid course, and for a little while he seemed a little better. My husband ultimately decided we were too close to vacation to change and risk all the money we had tied up, and had also suffered emotional trauma with my father having a massive heart attack and flat-lining twice 10 days before our trip - and my daughters and I found him and raced him to the hospital, so my husband decided we really needed a little reprieve when the dr. said my father would be o.k. We boarded our baby with the vet and called every day. 5 Days in while at Disney Studios we received a call from the vet saying our "Wrinkles" was not going to make it much longer and she knew we did not want to prolong his pain. I had my brother go and be with him and he called us to let us know he was at peace. So, we truly understand. We were not going to visit the Studios this trip, as the memory will definitely be painful, but my husband said we should go and celebrate his memory. It is hard, and we all still miss him dearly, but that means he is still in our hearts.

Thank you for sharing, and I am sorry for your loss as well. It's so tough.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so very hard when something like that happens, especially when you consider them a part of your family. Be thankful for all the good memories you have. You will get through it and it will get better in time.

@TexasChick123 - I am terribly sorry for your loss. We had a boxer (the best dog ever) that developed cancer and he started to have regular seizures. We had to choose whether or not to do chemo and my wife was pregnant with our now 4 year old so we opted out to avoid risk in the pregnancy. Hardest decision ever.

Tragically, my mom passed away suddenly the day we went to ROFR on 2/27 this year. I was really hoping we would be able to have her go with us as she never got to see the magic. Would have been even better now that we have two little girls too. It is not in our control. :(
so sorry to hear about your mom.... so sad. I have lost both parents so I get it... prayers to you...

I figured I would put this here since I mentioned having buyers remorse over our contract currently in ROFR. It is past the 10 days and we can afford it, but something happen where I am just emotionally spent. I'm actually a very private person when it comes to stuff that actually matters (as opposed to DVC "drama" which is just fun to talk about), but I feel it is only fair considering I mentioned having buyers remorse, and people read what we write when deciding to buy. We had to put down our family dog of 15 years on Easter morning. Quick version is that she was old and after being let out in the morning which was a combo of me having to carry her and her barely walking, she had a massive seizure when she came inside. She hadn't eaten a lot the last few days, and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her except a bladder infection a few days before. My husband is in the medical field, and he told me that everything over the last few days was pointing to her organs all shutting down because she was dying from old age, and we needed to put her down. The vet at the 24-hour clinic agreed that she was dying and would be in pain the next couple of days if we didn't put her down. It is terrible because she was a Valentine's Day present from me to my husband when I was a senior in high school. She's been there for high school graduation, college, college graduation, our marriage, grad schools, grad school graduations, and both of our kids being born. All of our family and friends are upset because she's been such a huge part of our family and everyone's lives. I am just so emotionally and physically tired from all of it that the thought of fooling with ROFR right now isn't very appealing to me. If our contract does pass ROFR, then we will use the points in no time, I'm sure. However, if it doesn't pass, I'll be ok with that because I am so scatterbrained right now. I've never lost a dog, and I didn't know it would hit me this hard considering I could see her decline in health over the last couple of weeks. I told myself I was ready for it, but that didn't matter because she was our family pet, and there is no good time to lose a beloved furry member of your family. However, I will say that these boards provide a very welcome distraction from it all, and for that, I am thankful. :)
super sorry about your dog... I know how bad it hurts.. I have lost several but one in particular just about killed me! I did not have my son yet, but had tried and tried to get pregnant.... he was our male boxer and he was my buddy.. he was beautiful and sweet and loved me so much! He went into kidney failure.. he had kidney disease and was on special diet etc for years... but all of the sudden we noticed changes.. long story short, we spent a fortune on vet treatments and would give him treatments at home by hydrating him by sticking big needle under his scruff around neck and letting lacted ringers solution flow... no kidding, I would have done anything to keep him alive, he was only 6.... he would have siezures etc.. it was horrible.. finally had to put him down and I was still not believing it the morning of... I was a mess for a long time. Still breaks my heart... they all break my heart but something about this experience with this particular dog....

super sorry about your dog... I know how bad it hurts.. I have lost several but one in particular just about killed me! I did not have my son yet, but had tried and tried to get pregnant.... he was our male boxer and he was my buddy.. he was beautiful and sweet and loved me so much! He went into kidney failure.. he had kidney disease and was on special diet etc for years... but all of the sudden we noticed changes.. long story short, we spent a fortune on vet treatments and would give him treatments at home by hydrating him by sticking big needle under his scruff around neck and letting lacted ringers solution flow... no kidding, I would have done anything to keep him alive, he was only 6.... he would have siezures etc.. it was horrible.. finally had to put him down and I was still not believing it the morning of... I was a mess for a long time. Still breaks my heart... they all break my heart but something about this experience with this particular dog....

Thank you so much. I would've gone above and beyond to keep her here too, but there was nothing to be done. :( So sorry for your loss even if it was years ago. I lost my childhood cat who was 18 right after we moved into this house, and I've never fully gotten over it. He was one of the best cats anyone could ever ask for. He was indoor/outdoor and everyone in the old neighborhood was so sad to hear he had passed. Oh these animals really wedge their ways into our hearts forever.

We are currently dealing with how to explain to my youngest that the dog has passed. She is confused and keeps asking about when we will see her again, and she tells me she is sad and misses her and wants her to come home. No matter how many times we tell her that Snow is gone, she's just too young to grasp it. I've ordered a couple of children's books from Amazon that supposedly help explain it, so I'm hoping that will work. If anyone else knows how to explain death to a three year-old, I'm all ears.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have been there...it is so very painful to lose your dog. They are pure, unconditional love and without a doubt, part of the family. Putting them down is so hard but it is merciful. You did the right thing. They simply don't live long enough. Wishing you the best.

Thank you so much. I would've gone above and beyond to keep her here too, but there was nothing to be done. :( So sorry for your loss even if it was years ago. I lost my childhood cat who was 18 right after we moved into this house, and I've never fully gotten over it. He was one of the best cats anyone could ever ask for. He was indoor/outdoor and everyone in the old neighborhood was so sad to hear he had passed. Oh these animals really wedge their ways into our hearts forever.

We are currently dealing with how to explain to my youngest that the dog has passed. She is confused and keeps asking about when we will see her again, and she tells me she is sad and misses her and wants her to come home. No matter how many times we tell her that Snow is gone, she's just too young to grasp it. I've ordered a couple of children's books from Amazon that supposedly help explain it, so I'm hoping that will work. If anyone else knows how to explain death to a three year-old, I'm all ears.
We lost dogs when josh was 2 and 3... we just said they went to doggy heaven etc... I am sure he didn't get it really... but after a while it was better.. tough stuff. Now we have 2 more boxers and he is very close to them... that will be super sad when they go...

We lost dogs when josh was 2 and 3... we just said they went to doggy heaven etc... I am sure he didn't get it really... but after a while it was better.. tough stuff. Now we have 2 more boxers and he is very close to them... that will be super sad when they go...

Thank you for the suggestion. We were telling her that Snow is in Heaven, but she thinks that's like saying she's at my parents' house where she can go and visit. She keeps asking to go and see Snow in Heaven because she misses her. She's told us anything from she's hiding in the backyard to she's at my parents' house to she's at the boarding place. Every time she says it is time for Snow to come home because she misses her. It's just heartbreaking. My husband's friend is a child psychiatrist, and as luck would have it, we will see him this weekend socially which was previously planned. I plan to ask him for suggestions.

Last edited:
Thank you again everyone for all the kind words. Each personal story or sympathetic message is very kind and appreciated. I wasn't ready for how hard this would hit both sides of our family because Snow was around since we were kids, but we are getting through it.:grouphug:

Last edited:
Our baby wasn't aware at the time Biggie passed, but our older daughter felt his loss keenly. She had a lot of change in her life at the time too (starting kindergarten, new baby), and we had always used his presence as a reassurance when she worried about things at night ("I'm scared of bad guys"). ODD is pretty verbal and mature, and we have told her that he's not coming back but his spirit and memory are with us forever. We aren't religious at all, so we treat it that his body isn't here with us but we can remember him and think of him and imagine him with us. I think it's also important not to never speak of Biggie again, but to let him come up organically in conversation, and not just to change the subject if she says, "I miss Biggie." Moana is her favorite movie, and there's a scene and a concept in it (no spoilers) that are helpful for explaining.

We currently have 11 dogs, just lost one about 6 weeks ago due to heart failure at a very young 10.5 years. Our others that have already crossed were 14, 14, 20, and 21. So this was the youngest we have lost. As odd as it may seem, Disney helps us in our grieving process. Since it is somewhat of a "sensory" overload, we are forced not to focus on it 24/7 and it helps us get past the initial pain. We still grieve and miss them ALL, but it does seem to help. Maybe you guys can find your own peace too. Sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter