Buyers Remorse when Personal Tragedy Strikes

TexasChick123

Always Dreaming of Our Next Vacation
DVC Silver
I figured I would put this here since I mentioned having buyers remorse over our contract currently in ROFR. It is past the 10 days and we can afford it, but something happen where I am just emotionally spent. I'm actually a very private person when it comes to stuff that actually matters (as opposed to DVC "drama" which is just fun to talk about), but I feel it is only fair considering I mentioned having buyers remorse, and people read what we write when deciding to buy. We had to put down our family dog of 15 years on Easter morning. Quick version is that she was old and after being let out in the morning which was a combo of me having to carry her and her barely walking, she had a massive seizure when she came inside. She hadn't eaten a lot the last few days, and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her except a bladder infection a few days before. My husband is in the medical field, and he told me that everything over the last few days was pointing to her organs all shutting down because she was dying from old age, and we needed to put her down. The vet at the 24-hour clinic agreed that she was dying and would be in pain the next couple of days if we didn't put her down. It is terrible because she was a Valentine's Day present from me to my husband when I was a senior in high school. She's been there for high school graduation, college, college graduation, our marriage, grad schools, grad school graduations, and both of our kids being born. All of our family and friends are upset because she's been such a huge part of our family and everyone's lives. I am just so emotionally and physically tired from all of it that the thought of fooling with ROFR right now isn't very appealing to me. If our contract does pass ROFR, then we will use the points in no time, I'm sure. However, if it doesn't pass, I'll be ok with that because I am so scatterbrained right now. I've never lost a dog, and I didn't know it would hit me this hard considering I could see her decline in health over the last couple of weeks. I told myself I was ready for it, but that didn't matter because she was our family pet, and there is no good time to lose a beloved furry member of your family. However, I will say that these boards provide a very welcome distraction from it all, and for that, I am thankful. :)

Last edited:
I figured I would put this here since I mentioned having buyers remorse over our contract currently in ROFR. It is past the 10 days and we can afford it, but something happen where I am just emotionally spent. I'm actually a very private person when it comes to stuff that actually matters (as opposed to DVC "drama" which is just fun to talk about), but I feel it is only fair considering I mentioned having buyers remorse, and people read what we write when deciding to buy. We had to put down our family dog of 15 years on Easter morning. Quick version is that she was old and after being let out in the morning which was a combo of me having to carry her and her barely walking, she had a massive seizure when she came inside. She hadn't eaten a lot the last few days, and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her except a bladder infection a few days before. My husband is in the medical field, and he told me that everything over the last few days was pointing to her organs all shutting down because she was dying from old age, and we needed to put her down. The vet at the 24-hour clinic agreed that she was dying and would be in pain the next couple of days if we didn't put her down. It is terrible because she was a Valentine's Day present from me to my husband when I was a senior in high school. She's been there for high school graduation, college, college graduation, our marriage, grad schools, grad school graduations, and both of our kids being born. All of our family and friends are upset because she's been such a huge part of our family and everyone's lives. I am just so emotionally and physically tired from all of it that the thought of fooling with ROFR right now isn't very appealing to me. If our contract does pass ROFR, then we will use the points in no time, I'm sure. However, if it doesn't pass, I'll be ok with that because I am so scatterbrained right now. I've never lost a dog, and I didn't know it would hit me this hard considering I could see her decline in health over the last couple of weeks. I told myself I was ready for it, but that didn't matter because she was our family pet, and there is no good time to lose a beloved furry member of your family. However, I will say that these boards provide a very welcome distraction from it all, and for that, I am thankful. :)
So sorry to hear about your dog. Those of us who have lost a beloved dog know what you are going through. I wish I could tell you that you will feel better soon but, at least for us, it took a long time and the hurt is still there after many years. I think the unconditional love you get from and give to a dog is a very special thing and thus extremely hard to lose. About the only good thing about losing our dog was not having to worry about him when we traveled. Although I can't say anything to make you feel better, please know that you are not alone in this pain. Take care.

Rainbow Bridge (Death of a Pet)

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of all its beautiful colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather.
The old and frail animals are young again.
Those who were sick, hurt or in pain are made whole again.
There is only one thing missing,
they are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!
The nose twitches! The ears are up!
The eyes are staring and this one runs from the group!
You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him in your arms and hug him.
He licks and kisses your face again and again -
and you look once more into the eyes of your best friend and trusting
pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be apart.

Author: unknown

I am so sorry. That is a huge loss. Our first dog (my first dog - as I "got" him before I got my husband) we had to put down after 16 great years back in 2006.

(And we have since had another great dog who passed away at the age of 9.5 in his sleep last September. My daughter's first day of kindergarten. Mercifully, he was at his "camp" in the country, which he loved, and he died in his sleep, so while I am sorry that he passed too soon, I am comforted by the fact that he went in the "best" possible way for all concerned, and that he had a short life that was full of love and fun.)

But Boo's (yes, related to my screenID) passing hit me harder because we had to make that choice. I had had him starting in grad school, and the end was long and painful for all of us. I was really scattered for a long time afterwards, and would keep seeing and hearing things out of the corner of my eye, or in passing, thinking it was Boo. Even though we knew it was time, he'd been such a part of our lives for so long. I still remember the exact moment when I realized that it was time, and I remember sobbing and starting the grieving process then.

I'll leave you with this - a fellow dog lover gave this poem in a book to me when Boo passed, and it never fails to make me sob. Big, big hugs, lady. Dogs are special.

The Last Will And Testament Of An Extremely Distinguished Dog
by Eugene O'Neill

I, SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL (familiarly known to my family, friends and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi and -- But if I should list all those who have loved me it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said goodbye, before I become too sick a burden on my myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die.

Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows?
I would like to believe with those of my fellow Dalmatians who are devout Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris, beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.
One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one."

Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one that I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare, sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle).

Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well-mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green.

To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermes in Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendome, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years. And, for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

I'm so sorry! I've been there and it still hurts. My dog, Lucy, had the same decline, and it still didn't prepare the hurt that came with putting her down. To this day I can still tear up, and it's been four years. It's okay to be emotional. They are not "just" a dog. They are family.

I just wanted to say, I've been there, and it hurts. But that scatterbrained feeling goes away in time. I send you an internet hug. I'm so sorry.

So sorry for your loss. Hugs from my family to yours. I know my 15yo dog won't live forever and it makes me tear up every time I think of her not being by my side. Such crazy deep unconditional love is really special - changes us forever.

Summer 2014 my dog also had to be put down. She was just 10 years old. DH was in OK with my DDs who were in a softball Nationals. I was home with DS and dogs. After Nationals DDs and I were going to WDW with my mom for 5 nights and then we were meeting the guys at HHI for an additional 5 nights. We were so excited for that trip. So while DDs were at Nationals I let dogs out one morning and noticed the 10 year old dragging her behind all over the yard. I look and there is a mass protruding. Take her to ER vet and discover it's cancer. As I am waiting for test results, my DH calls to tell me DD (pitcher) broke her thumb in a pre-tourney scrimmage on day 1.

So long story short... come to find out, our dog had not only a carcinoma on her rectal area but she also had lymphoma. We tried steroid treatment but she went downhill fast and laid on sofa trembling and vomiting bile. So the day I left with ladies for Disney, my DH and DS took her in to be euthanized. Was gut wrenching and we felt such guilt going on our trip but there was a lot of money tied up in it. We did shorten it a couple days, to like 8 instead of 10 because our other dog seemed sad and confused so we felt bad kennel-ing him long.

So @TexasChick123 ... so sorry for your loss. It is tough. I am now leery to get another pet because it is so hard. We could have tried chemo (though wouldn't work on both cancers but may have lengthened her life)... but it was so costly and may not have made for good quality life. And I am not for doing such extraneous measures for a pet so I feel guilt for that and hesitate to get another pet. Our other dog is almost 11 and I am dreading his decline in health. He is already slowing down.

Maybe waiting for ROFR can help distract you. It will be nice to own BLT to save points on standard view...or for that special trip with a MK view.

All I have to offer is my sympathy. Been there, done that (more than once - I'm probably a lot older than you), and I fully understand what you're going through.

Texaschick....so sorry for your loss! DH is an airline pilot so when the fur kids get sick or cross the rainbow bridge it always happens when he is gone. :sad:

Love all the poems other have posted... read through those too!

I'm not a dvc member - I just read your post and just wanted to send my condolences. I know how gut-wrenching it is to have to put down a beloved dog. It's been about 3 years since we lost our dog and I still cry about it (as a matter of fact - I'm crying over it now as I type this) - I got him right before my son started Kindergarten and we lost him right before my son graduated high school - I was a single mom most of those years - just me, my little boy and our dog. They are just such loving companions - and they shake your world when they're gone. I am SO sorry for your loss!

@TexasChick123 - I am terribly sorry for your loss. We had a boxer (the best dog ever) that developed cancer and he started to have regular seizures. We had to choose whether or not to do chemo and my wife was pregnant with our now 4 year old so we opted out to avoid risk in the pregnancy. Hardest decision ever.

Tragically, my mom passed away suddenly the day we went to ROFR on 2/27 this year. I was really hoping we would be able to have her go with us as she never got to see the magic. Would have been even better now that we have two little girls too. It is not in our control. :(

Thank you so much to everyone for your sympathies. It means more than you know to hear all the kind words. Everyone says to do things as you would "normally do" which supposedly helps, but not having my dog isn't normal for me. She's been here since I was 18, and my now-husband and I dated in high school and went to college together, so she was there all that time too. I am going to have to get used to a new normal which is just so hard. My kids are young, so the older one is taking it harder than the toddler, but he will get it over it sooner than us since he is young as well. The toddler doesn't know what planet she's on, I think. I really can't thank you all enough as you are being so kind during a terrible event for us. Please know I have read every response and appreciate each and every one.

@TexasChick123 - I am terribly sorry for your loss. We had a boxer (the best dog ever) that developed cancer and he started to have regular seizures. We had to choose whether or not to do chemo and my wife was pregnant with our now 4 year old so we opted out to avoid risk in the pregnancy. Hardest decision ever.

Tragically, my mom passed away suddenly the day we went to ROFR on 2/27 this year. I was really hoping we would be able to have her go with us as she never got to see the magic. Would have been even better now that we have two little girls too. It is not in our control. :(

This is just awful. I am so sorry for both of your losses. I think the sudden lost of a loved one is the hardest, as I have been through that as well. I know that you mom is still watching over you and your girls and she has a doggie companion with her to keep her company. :) Sending hugs your way!

Thank you so much to everyone for your sympathies. It means more than you know to hear all the kind words. Everyone says to do things as you would "normally do" which supposedly helps, but not having my dog isn't normal for me. She's been here since I was 18, and my now-husband and I dated in high school and went to college together, so she was there all that time too. I am going to have to get used to a new normal which is just so hard. My kids are young, so the older one is taking it harder than the toddler, but he will get it over it sooner than us since he is young as well. The toddler doesn't know what planet she's on, I think. I really can't thank you all enough as you are being so kind during a terrible event for us. Please know I have read every response and appreciate each and every one.

This is just awful. I am so sorry for both of your losses. I think the sudden lost of a loved one is the hardest, as I have been through that as well. I know that you mom is still watching over you and your girls and she has a doggie companion with her to keep her company. :) Sending hugs your way!

Thank you. :)

Sorry for your loss.

I've got three dogs myself, so I completely understand your pain. My oldest one is 12 years old and has definitely slowed down the last year -- so I'm going to be in the same boat as you sooner than I'd like. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be an emotional wreck when that day comes.

A beloved pet is a member of the family. They give us comfort, unconditional love, are completely non judgmental and loyal. I am so sorry for your loss.

Oh I'm so so sorry for your loss, it's so sad to loose a pet, they are a part of the family. Having 2 cats and 3 dogs, the love we have for the is so strong , they love us so unconditionally and we give that same love back. The poems are beautiful. Sending hugs your way

I am sorry for your loss. A loss of a pet is a loss of a dear family member. Take the time to grieve. Deal with other things when you have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter