SorcererC

Earning My Ears
We've decided to buy 100 points direct at Copper Creek. We already have a trip planned in early December. I had planned to do a tour while we are there and then buy, but now I'm thinking we should do it before we go. I'm assuming that even if we buy tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to use our points for the December trip, but maybe we'll be able to use the various discounts available to members. What do you all think?

(This will be our first DVC purchase. Planning on doing additional contact via resale, but wanted the Member benefits since we won't be annual passholders or FL residents)

If you buy now, you'll get your points fairly immediately (usually within a few hours, but who knows if there will be a rush before the incentives end that causes some delay). Once your membership is set up and you have the points, you will be directed for your "Welcome Home" booking. Take advantage of this! Your very first booking when buying into DVC is called Welcome Home, and they sometimes have access to inventory that isn't available online. Who knows; with all the covid cancellations, they might be able to find something for you for your December trip.

You only need 100 points now for Direct benefits, but just a note that if you purchase 150 points, you qualify for a new member incentive of $15 off per point. This brings it down to $205/point. Another way to look at this is that if you were going to spend $22,000 on 100 points direct, 150 points is only $8,750 more for another 50 points (which is effectively $175/point for that extra 50 points). You could then break them up into 2 contracts: 100 points and 50 points. That way if you ever needed to sell part of it you could sell just part of it (if you bought one contract, it would be all or nothing), you could sell the 50 point contract and still get direct benefits as your remaining contract is 100 points.

we wouldn't be able to use our points for the December trip

Is this booked cash? I would buy tomorrow, have your points by Tuesday at the latest, and then put in a wait list for your December trip and start stalking availability.

If I were to bet I would bet that you will be able to get at least a 2 part split stay for a week at SSR, OKW, AKL, BLT if you are consistently check for availability.

If you are buying regardless buy now also because pricing will go up on the 17th and minimum for buy-in will be going up from 100 to 125 on October 1st.

We've decided to buy 100 points direct at Copper Creek. We already have a trip planned in early December. I had planned to do a tour while we are there and then buy, but now I'm thinking we should do it before we go. I'm assuming that even if we buy tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to use our points for the December trip, but maybe we'll be able to use the various discounts available to members. What do you all think?

(This will be our first DVC purchase. Planning on doing additional contact via resale, but wanted the Member benefits since we won't be annual passholders or FL residents)
Buy now. We waited on VGF because we wanted to stay there first...they sold out before we were able to stay there. CCV is a beautiful resort.

That and the risk that the incentives will be gone and there will be price increase..which may be unlikely.

If one is on the fence going direct, I’d buy at 100 to get both incentives and blue card, unless one is not ready,
If you are not a current member though there is no incentive for just 100 points correct?

that is a good idea. Buy the 200 but break into 100 point contracts - if 200 total is too much for you, you can always downsize to 100 points...and you get the better price

What do you mean to downsize? Resell a 100 point contract? How does that math work?

Also, do you need to be a current member to get the incentive on a 200 point contract?

What'd you end up doing?

I had a few email contacts at DVC, but I'm getting out of office messages on every one. Luckily I have one time stamped when the $5000 incentive was still a thing. I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to call and get this started while the kids are out of the house!

If you buy now, you'll get your points fairly immediately (usually within a few hours, but who knows if there will be a rush before the incentives end that causes some delay). Once your membership is set up and you have the points, you will be directed for your "Welcome Home" booking. Take advantage of this! Your very first booking when buying into DVC is called Welcome Home, and they sometimes have access to inventory that isn't available online. Who knows; with all the covid cancellations, they might be able to find something for you for your December trip.

You only need 100 points now for Direct benefits, but just a note that if you purchase 150 points, you qualify for a new member incentive of $15 off per point. This brings it down to $205/point. Another way to look at this is that if you were going to spend $22,000 on 100 points direct, 150 points is only $8,750 more for another 50 points (which is effectively $175/point for that extra 50 points). You could then break them up into 2 contracts: 100 points and 50 points. That way if you ever needed to sell part of it you could sell just part of it (if you bought one contract, it would be all or nothing), you could sell the 50 point contract and still get direct benefits as your remaining contract is 100 points.

This might be a dumb question and you may not know, but my head is swimming a bit as I'm researching so much. We want CCV and AKL eventually. Could I do 100 at each direct, with the same use year, then be able to combine those points for stays at either in the 11 month booking window? And be able to get the 200 point incentives?

This might be a dumb question and you may not know, but my head is swimming a bit as I'm researching so much. We want CCV and AKL eventually. Could I do 100 at each direct, with the same use year, then be able to combine those points for stays at either in the 11 month booking window? And be able to get the 200 point incentives?
No for either.

You could combine the points at the 7 month mark, but each resort has its own priority window. To combine at 11 months, they need to be the same resort with the same UY on the same membership.

To qualify for the 200 point incentive, they have to be resorts with the same incentive type. CCV, AUL, and RIV could be combined to reach 200 points. AKV could be combined with SSR, OKW, BLT, or Poly to get the 200 point incentive.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter