Bringing your pets with you...

Hey Shannone, I forgot to add these to your thread. How are things going with Mitzi?

Here's our newest puppy; her name is Pixie and she's 4 months old in this picture. She's a Rat Terrier (but I think she looks a little like a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier someties).

Things are going well with Mitzi, thanks. She is 13 weeks old now and the housebreaking is getting better. She's had two accidents in the house this week. She also isn't crying in her crate nearly as much these days. We have our motorhome sitting next to our house and I've been hanging out there a few times a week watching tv or playing on the laptop so I can get Mitzi used to being out there. I'll bring her crate and put her in it and stand outside to see if she barks. She carried on terribly the first time, but by the end of the week she didn't bark at all :thumbsup2

She's been having a great time playing with all of my friends dogs. She got to play with a great dane puppy last night (four months old and HUGE). Finnegan (our wheaten) had fun too.

Cottontail, your puppy looks adorable. In fact to be honest it made me cry. The doggie love of my life was my little rat terrier "thing" called Jasper and he looked identical to Pixie when he was a baby, it's really quite weird.

I was lucky enough to have Jasper in my life for 10 fun filled years. Alas, we boarded him with our vet when we last went to the UK (2006) and when we came back I was handed my poor beautiful baby unable to walk - apparantly he'd hurt his back whilst in the vet's care. THe vet didn't bother to tell me/any of the contacts we'd left for her. So we changed vets but the damage was irreversible, it broke my heart, and he died about 1 month later. I still cry every week over my first 'furbaby'. It was so unfair and unjust.

So please go give your cute little Pixie a cuddle from me.

Bex
Still grieving.

I'm so sorry Bex ((((hugs))))

Quick question for everyone - we just picked up our new family member, a 3-month old Maine Coon, and we will be bringing her with us on our next trip (3/30-4/6). If you bring a cat, "should" you reserve a pet loop..? Even though she will stay in our fifth wheel..?

I don't think so. The reservation agent I spoke with said that since our cats were staying in our trailer the whole time we also wouldn't be charged the pet fee.

Give you loved pets a hug for me, and for yourselves, I just lost my Millie, and wish I could do it one more time.

John

I've got 2 cat's that are almost 3. They are sis and bro. Sometime I want to open the door on them and shoo them off but most of the time they're ok. I'd never let them in my camper though lol.

I was lucky enough to have Jasper in my life for 10 fun filled years. Alas, we boarded him with our vet when we last went to the UK (2006) and when we came back I was handed my poor beautiful baby unable to walk - apparantly he'd hurt his back whilst in the vet's care. THe vet didn't bother to tell me/any of the contacts we'd left for her. So we changed vets but the damage was irreversible, it broke my heart, and he died about 1 month later. I still cry every week over my first 'furbaby'. It was so unfair and unjust.
Cottontail - this is Jasper - can you see why I found Pixie's pictures so disconcerting, down to the green collar and all!? Uncanny!
Jasperbaby3.jpg

Jasperbaby2.jpg

Jasperbaby1.jpg

And a flash forward for you - J at 9 years old having fun camping at Garner State Park
JasperatGarner.jpg

Bex

Quick question for everyone - we just picked up our new family member, a 3-month old Maine Coon, and we will be bringing her with us on our next trip (3/30-4/6). If you bring a cat, "should" you reserve a pet loop..? Even though she will stay in our fifth wheel..?
Last year when we checked in, they told use they wouldn't charge for the cats but, they still put us in a pet loop.

We always take our dog Suzie with us...she's 4 yrs old, we think she's a Doberman mix...we got her from the pound and she's truly a wonderful dog!! We love her so much! We also take one of our cats (we have 4 but only 1 likes to go with us). Her name is Chloe. We found her on the road one day, a block away from our house, she was just a tiny kitten then and she and Suzie have become best buds!! I will post pics later.

Our two golden retrievers love FW!!! We bought a 5th wheel toy hauler just for them -- the garage area is great when they get muddy or wet paws -- otherwise they have the run of the camper:)

They go where we go -- we only travel in our camper now. A cruise would be nice but what to do with the dogs?:confused3

Our two golden retrievers love FW!!! We bought a 5th wheel toy hauler just for them -- the garage area is great when they get muddy or wet paws -- otherwise they have the run of the camper:)

They go where we go -- we only travel in our camper now. A cruise would be nice but what to do with the dogs?:confused3

Leave them at home and have a good time is what I say. They are pets not a family member. It isn't like leaving your children at home or anything. Sorry I know I have no compassion for pets I am not a dog or cat person at all and pets in general are just that pets. My family and our needs come first and that includes going on holidays.

I personally believe pets are family members but we do NOT take our pets with us on vacation! I am a pet lover and have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a horse. I consider all of them a part of my family but they are still just animals not PEOPLE! :rolleyes1
One of my cats is an inside cat. We have someone come feed and check on her and take care of the outside animals when we are out of town. We are lucky that we do not have to pay boarding fees! The animals don't even act mad when we leave!:laughing: If they are they sure don't say anything about it!;) If you have an inside dog or cat, or other outside animals, you do have the option of boarding them if you don't want to take them with you or have help to care for them. There are options for the people who claim that they have to bring their pets, but most people bring them because they love to travel with them and enjoy their company while on vacation (see I can be reasonable!) I choose to enjoy their company while I am NOT on vacation! IMO, some people have lost all sight of reality in regards to animals being animals!

I don't take pets with me on vacation, but I do go to campgrounds that allow pets(simply because MOST ALL campgrounds allow pets!) BUT, here is where my problem comes in. Pet owners should OBEY AND RESPECT the rules of the campground. SOME, not all pet owners have decided (at least some of the ones we have seen and encountered at FW) that everyone loves to step in dog crap and hear dogs bark all day and night even if they have chosen to stay in a non-pet loop, but the pet owner did not bother staying in a pet loop!:headache: FW is for people WITH PETS and for people who choose to enjoy a vacation without their pets!:thumbsup2

Oh well! I have spoken my peace once before on the DIS and was chastised by the not so reasonable, "don't talk about me or my baby that way!" bunch, but that is just my opinion!:woohoo:
BTW- I did say not ALL pet owners are irresponsible just most of the ones we have encountered on our trips.

I do love pets, don't want to take them on vacation and could care less how cute yours is, how loud it can bark and how sweet it's poop smells................ while I am on MY pet-free vacation!

Boy..sounds as if you stepped in a little something recently!:rotfl:

We have pets, we love them, they ARE part of our family.:love: Sometimes we bring the dog..sometimes we don't. That being said, we've been annoyed by people that bring the dog, and then allow it to continuously bark non-stop. We had this happen to us last season. There was a family that had TWO dogs..large ones tied up on their site. They spent most of their time in the camper and the dogs were tied up outside barking. Everytime they caught sight of us sitting around our campfire, they would start to bark NON-STOP. Honestly the dogs just wanted a bit of attention. After quite a while, the owner came out..screamed at them(wasn't that lovely:rolleyes1 ) and went back in the camper. Needless to say..they just continued to bark, and the scenario would repeat itself. Didn't make for a very peaceful or enjoyable weekend.

A good many people do get into camping because they can bring their pets with them. Choosing not to vacation without them. It's unfortunate that there are those inconsiderate owners that give good pet owners, a bad name.

Boy..sounds as if you stepped in a little something recently!:rotfl:

We have pets, we love them, they ARE part of our family.:love:

Same here. We aren't people who will make our lives revolve around our dogs. I know there are people who won't do day trips or even go to the beach because they won't leave their pets alone even for a couple of hours. That is NOT us, lol. :rotfl: We bring crates and the dogs stay in them while we are out for the afternoon. It's no different then when we are at home. When we are home they are out with us, when we aren't they are in their crates.

We got into camping because we wanted to see the country with our kids before they are grown and gone. We also wanted to do it in the comfort of our own space. Our 3 yr old dog has fear/anxiety issues so kenneling is out. As is leaving home with most of our friends/family. So we got a motorhome and he comes with us. He is MUCH happier with us, even if in his crate for part of the day then he would be back home with strangers. BTDT and it wasn't good :headache:

There was a family that had TWO dogs..large ones tied up on their site. They spent most of their time in the camper and the dogs were tied up outside barking. Everytime they caught sight of us sitting around our campfire, they would start to bark NON-STOP. Honestly the dogs just wanted a bit of attention. Didn't make for a very peaceful or enjoyable weekend.

That is so sad. :sad2: Our dogs are NEVER outside without us. Our older dog doesn't bark at all when in his crate. He is happy to nap and chew on his chewies. Our puppy is learning not to bark in the crate. I am working with her all the time trying to make her into a good camping dog. We've spend many afternoons in the motorhome in the driveway getting her used to it so that we are good camping neighbors :goodvibes

It's unfortunate that there are those inconsiderate owners that give good pet owners, a bad name.

I agree. I don't like stepping in dog mess. :mad: Our dogs aren't even allowed to use the bathroom at our site...they are always walked to a dog area. I try to pick sites as close to the dog runs as possible. I am glad dogs aren't allowed in the common areas at the campgrounds. There are too many people that don't clean up after them. The last thing I need to to be cleaning dog crap off of our shoes. :sad2:

In a perfect campground dog mess would always be cleaned up immediately, kids would never be left unsupervised at the playgrounds, people would not play their music too loudly after quiet time, people wouldn't build smoky campfires or have awning lights that are too bright, and the pool and bathrooms would always be clean and sparkling. Good luck finding that campground though, and even if you did there would probably be so many rules that you wouldn't have much fun anyway :rolleyes1 :)

I really understand and respect all of your point of views and opinions.:) I really love my dogs and wonder with training and a brain transplant if they would make good camping companions when my kids are grown and gone? But, that will never happen. Without a miracle they will be too old or dead before the kids leave home!!!!:eek:

I agree about not having a perfect campground. There is one in the North Ga mountains that is about as close to perfect as they come as far as location, amenities and beauty. EXCEPT for the fact they have too many rules and are the most unreasonable people on the face of the earth. They always ruin someone in our groups weekend when we camp there. You actually cannot leave the campground after 10pm unless it is an ABSOLUTE PROVEN emergency. They lock the gate and do not give out the code. You have to park 1/2 a mile away and walk to your car if you want to leave after 10pm or before 7am. Guess that is worse than dog poop!

And, now that you mention it Shannone1, unsupervised children are worse than any dog any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

I personally believe pets are family members but we do NOT take our pets with us on vacation! I am a pet lover and have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a horse. I consider all of them a part of my family but they are still just animals not PEOPLE! :rolleyes1
One of my cats is an inside cat. We have someone come feed and check on her and take care of the outside animals when we are out of town. We are lucky that we do not have to pay boarding fees! The animals don't even act mad when we leave!:laughing: If they are they sure don't say anything about it!;) If you have an inside dog or cat, or other outside animals, you do have the option of boarding them if you don't want to take them with you or have help to care for them. There are options for the people who claim that they have to bring their pets, but most people bring them because they love to travel with them and enjoy their company while on vacation (see I can be reasonable!) I choose to enjoy their company while I am NOT on vacation! IMO, some people have lost all sight of reality in regards to animals being animals!

I don't take pets with me on vacation, but I do go to campgrounds that allow pets(simply because MOST ALL campgrounds allow pets!) BUT, here is where my problem comes in. Pet owners should OBEY AND RESPECT the rules of the campground. SOME, not all pet owners have decided (at least some of the ones we have seen and encountered at FW) that everyone loves to step in dog crap and hear dogs bark all day and night even if they have chosen to stay in a non-pet loop, but the pet owner did not bother staying in a pet loop!:headache: FW is for people WITH PETS and for people who choose to enjoy a vacation without their pets!:thumbsup2

Oh well! I have spoken my peace once before on the DIS and was chastised by the not so reasonable, "don't talk about me or my baby that way!" bunch, but that is just my opinion!:woohoo:
BTW- I did say not ALL pet owners are irresponsible just most of the ones we have encountered on our trips.

I do love pets, don't want to take them on vacation and could care less how cute yours is, how loud it can bark and how sweet it's poop smells................ while I am on MY pet-free vacation!

Come on Flame, look at this sweet little face, I know you care. :hug:

Auntie...I have 2 one eyed cats....they both lost there eyes fighting, apparently. They get along just fine though....not with each other, they act like they hate each other, I meant they get along in life just fine. I really like these cats...never was a cat person before...but Ive seen both of these cats attack my wifes limp wristed chihuahua for no reason other than he was in striking distance. Cats are cool. Right after the attacks...the dog stood up on his hind legs, put one paw on his hip and the other pointed in the cats direction, swingin his head from side to side and said in the gayest spanish accent ''Why you gotta be hatin on me, I aint done you nuttin!"

Ok I made that part up, but the cats DID high five each other when they finished kickin his butt........Ok, thats not true either, but in my head it all went down like that!!!

:lmao:

BigDaddyRog, you wouldn't be related to MontanaDisneyFan would you? You've got the same style. Too funny! :thumbsup2

Check out his trip report here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711315

Love it, love it, love it! :lovestruc Such a cutie and I am glad that I don't have to deal with leaving it at home for all my vacations!

If my dogs were that cute I might throw caution to the wind and ..........NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao:

He is very precious and I bet his owner is very responsible!:flower3:

I really understand and respect all of your point of views and opinions.:) I really love my dogs and wonder with training and a brain transplant if they would make good camping companions when my kids are grown and gone? But, that will never happen. Without a miracle they will be too old or dead before the kids leave home!!!!:eek:

I agree about not having a perfect campground. There is one in the North Ga mountains that is about as close to perfect as they come as far as location, amenities and beauty. EXCEPT for the fact they have too many rules and are the most unreasonable people on the face of the earth. They always ruin someone in our groups weekend when we camp there. You actually cannot leave the campground after 10pm unless it is an ABSOLUTE PROVEN emergency. They lock the gate and do not give out the code.

Oh my....that would NOT work for me. What if I wanted to make a "run for the border" for a nachos bellgrande ?? :lmao: I would not stay at a CG that locked me in at night. :eek:

You have to park 1/2 a mile away and walk to your car if you want to leave after 10pm or before 7am. Guess that is worse than dog poop!

And, now that you mention it Shannone1, unsupervised children are worse than any dog any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

They can be annoying. There have been times when I have had to speak to someone else's kids because they are throwing sand in little kids eyes, or pushing them down. :headache: I'm always thinking some parent is going to come after me for telling her kid what to do, but someone has to watch out for the little kids. I would hope if it was MY child being a bully that someone would step in. We've had problems with teens hogging the playgrounds too. My older girls are almost 12 and 14 and they don't hang out at the playground. They ride their bikes, play basketball or volleyball, go for walks, hang out with us. I trust them to go off on their own for the most part, but they know I am watching them. I make it a habit of showing up unannounced so I can keep them on their toes. They are not going to be the kids that are riding their skateboards in the pavillions, jumping off of picnic tables, pushing other kids around, or cutting through people's campsites, or running people over with golfcarts :rotfl: We've taught them proper campground etiquette and I try my best to make sure they are respectful of others.

FLASH....Disney is going to create Kid Loops for all of those cranky folks that don't like kids or dogs....where does it end. Disney has created animosity among campers by separating people into distinct groups. This attitude causes prejudice actions against different segments of our society withis FW. Dog and kid folks surely outnumber those without. Lets create dog and children haters groups and segment them into different loops where they have to pay extra for being cranky. LOL

:lmao:

BigDaddyRog, you wouldn't be related to MontanaDisneyFan would you? You've got the same style. Too funny! :thumbsup2

Check out his trip report here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711315

No...Ive never met MontanaDisneyFan.................BUT DAMN, THAT GUYS F U N N Y !!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Thanks for the link....I literally lmao'd through all of it!!! I love good humor, and he's all kinda of sick and twisted!!!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter