Boys in the Girls Bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesdisneymom

DIS Veteran
I am a single mother with a 9 year old son, and terrified that something will happen to him.

Do you think that it is ok for a 9 year old to go into the Girls bathroom at WDW, instead of standing outside waiting.

I mean I will let him go in the boy's restroom by himself, as long as I am standing right outside the door and when if he is taking a long time and I call his name he answers.

Maybe I am being overproctitive.

Do you think it is ok for a 9 yr old to go into the girl's bathroom if there is no one else to watch him?

:confused3 :thanks: :disrocks:

Of course!!! You can never be too careful!!! Even though we don't want to think about it there are people waiting to prey upon young children even at the Happiest Place on earth. I think you are being a good mother to insist that he comes with you!!!

I would never ever ever let my 9 yo out of my sight at DW. What if he got done before you? Would you want him to stand outside the bathroom by himself. I am sure that the last thing in the world he wants to do is go into the girls bathroom, but I just don't see any way around it. I am the mom of 2 girls so this is only an issue when their dad has them. I know that what he does is say out loud "little girl coming in." If it makes him feel better cover his eyes and wait for the handicap stall to open each of you turn your back while the other takes their turn.

It wouldn't bother me at all to have a 9yo boy in the ladies room. I have an 8yo boy myself except he absolutely refuses to go into a ladies room anywhere....will not go in under any circumstances!! Oh that boy!!

I also have no problem with a 9 yo boy in the women's bathroom. If I was at WDW without DH, you can bet both of my boys would be coming in with me.

Don't worry - take him in with you! My son is 7, so a bit younger, but I know at 9 (and perhaps beyond!) I won't let him go to the men's room by himself. Since we ladies only use stalls, it isn't as if he'll see anything, unlike a girl in a men's room.

My aunt taught me this trick she used when my (boy) cousin was with her. When she used the "facilities," she would have him stand outside the door, leaning against it. That way she could see his feet and know that he was right there.

Does anyone know if there are family restrooms in WDW?

Since DS10 and I tend to not stay with the other of our group (Males 23 and 22) the entire day I have run into this. We have been doing this since he was 8.

He uses the men's room and me, the ladies. We wait outside in a spot right between the 2 doors for the other one to come out. I've never worried about him at WDW, but other public places I am more worried. Not saying that nothing would/could happen at WDW, but I believe the chances are slim to none.

But it does not bother me if Mom's want to have their son's use the ladies room.

I let my 7 y/o use the boys room while I wait if there is no family room. However that is in rural Colorado. When we go to wdw I'll have dh with me mostly so they can go together. If we break apart he will go into the ladies bathroom and stand where I can see his feet. He has good manners and doesn't talk about smells or sounds unlike my 4 y/o ( or look under doors) Oh that boy. So I don't worry about bringing older boy in with me. I'm sorry if it makes an occassional person uncomfortable. I would rather do that than worry about something bad happen. If I were a predator I would go where the prey is and that is what worries me about someplace so large and filled with children.

As the mother of 4 daughters...bring him in!!!

That said, if I'm in the stall and my DDs aren't, they have to stand where I can "see their shoes" (and they usually make little footsie dances for me :rolleyes: ) That keeps them in sight for me and focused on their feet and not what's going on in other stalls. Nothing irks me more than to have some unsupervised child peeking under all the stall doors (not in search of an empty one).

Also, I have a friend who has a son (she does the shoe thing, too) but when he goes in the men's room, he has to whistle the whole time. If he stops whistling...she's through that door.

As the Mom of 2 sons, I totally agree, bring him in. It's a restroom, not a locker room so it's not like there will be people in various states of undress...they will all be in the stalls so no big deal. ;)

OH how I wish they would put WOMEN AND CHILDREN on the doors to restrooms rather than just Women. I'm having trouble with my 6 year old fussing about having to come with me in "the girl one" when he is with me somewhere where I am not comfy with him in the mens room by himself.

I say bring him in..I was watching my friends 12 yr old once, and took him with us to the pool for his practice......After class I took him to the mens lockeroom and told him to get dressed, and meet me on the bench outside the door. I took my DD and his little brother in with me to the women. Got them dressed, and came out and Preston was gone. I started looking for him and calling. Within one minute I got a lifeguard and told him to go into the lockeroom and ask for him...When Preston did not come out, I alerted another lifeguard who went to the enterance and wouldnt let anyone out. We started all calling for him, and here he came running up a hill from a playground at the neighboring park crying!!!! I asked him where he had been while hugging him, and he said he went to find me totally forgetting our plan to meet on the bench! So even 12 yr olds can forget!!

I wouldn't mind a young boy accompanying his mom into the ladies' restroom, but my 12 yr old daughter would be uncomfortable about it. She doesn't want anyone male to hear her going, I guess... :confused3 I think a 10 yr old could wait safely in the alcove before the actual ladies' bathroom area.

Why not use the companion bathrooms? Isn't this what they are for? I mean, I know they are for persons with disabilities who need assistance, but don't you think that most people with diabilities wouldn't mind their use for this purpose?

Please take him in with you! Do not give it a second thought. Your child's safety is much more important than any possible uncomfortable feelings that it would cause (not sure why it would anyway). Who knows what kind of pervert might be lurking in the mens room. My DS is only 4 so I haven't faced those years yet, but as long as I can get him to come with me I will be taking him in the womens restroom. Unfortunately, he already gives me problems about using the "girls" room, but I think it is just because he likes to use the "orminals" (aka urinals) that are only found in the mens room, lol!

I think the previous poster had a GREAT idea about changing the signs to read "women and children".

I think it depends on the child. After my nephews were about 7, I started letting them go in alone (but they were in a pair, too) but you know your son best. I know the younger of those 2 nephews would never have gone into a bathroom alone until he was at least 8 without panicking.

Since you are a single mother, traveling without another adult, I don't think anyone would have a problem allowing you to use the Companion Restrooms. For people with disabilities who need an assistant there, it's their only option, so it should be a last resort, but if you feel worried about your son and there is no one else to watch him, it seems that your best bet would be to use the CR's remembering that someone (who may not be able to hold very long) may be waiting. This is why I think WDW should *also* have a family restroom, to take into account special needs like this while still accomodating those with disabilities.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Oh, and just a side note: Did you guys know "guests under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult" to get into WDW? Imagine a 10 year old without an adult is allowed to walk around, all alone. It just reminded me since many people said they'd feel uncomfortable letting a child just one year younger in the bathroom alone. I can't imagine someone letting a 10 year old have free reign in the parks! That age should definitely be raised.

LuluLovesDisney said:
I think it depends on the child. After my nephews were about 7, I started letting them go in alone (but they were in a pair, too) but you know your son best. I know the younger of those 2 nephews would never have gone into a bathroom alone until he was at least 8 without panicking.

Since you are a single mother, traveling without another adult, I don't think anyone would have a problem allowing you to use the Companion Restrooms. For people with disabilities who need an assistant there, it's their only option, so it should be a last resort, but if you feel worried about your son and there is no one else to watch him, it seems that your best bet would be to use the CR's remembering that someone (who may not be able to hold very long) may be waiting. This is why I think WDW should *also* have a family restroom, to take into account special needs like this while still accomodating those with disabilities.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Oh, and just a side note: Did you guys know "guests under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult" to get into WDW? Imagine a 10 year old without an adult is allowed to walk around, all alone. It just reminded me since many people said they'd feel uncomfortable letting a child just one year younger in the bathroom alone. I can't imagine someone letting a 10 year old have free reign in the parks! That age should definitely be raised.

I realized the age thing too last year. Now, I may let him use the restroom himself, but no way would I let him in a park by himself.

I am more worried at the hotels, when he wants to go get the bucket of ice from the ice machine. There I stand in the doorway so I can keep an eye on him. I think people have easy access for getting on resort properties.

TammyAlphabet said:
Why not use the companion bathrooms? Isn't this what they are for? I mean, I know they are for persons with disabilities who need assistance, but don't you think that most people with diabilities wouldn't mind their use for this purpose?

Because sometimes they are a hike and a boy can't always hold it in an emergency.

You can never be too overprotective when it comes to a situation like this!I see nothing wrong with a 9yr old boy going into the ladies room. I'd rather hear a few rude comments and get a few repulsive stares then have to regret losing a child! :sunny: :thumbsup2

LuluLovesDisney said:
For people with disabilities who need an assistant there, it's their only option, so it should be a last resort, but if you feel worried about your son and there is no one else to watch him, it seems that your best bet would be to use the CR's remembering that someone (who may not be able to hold very long) may be waiting. This is why I think WDW should *also* have a family restroom, to take into account special needs like this while still accomodating those with disabilities.
Thank you for that reminder.
There are not enough Companion Restrooms in WDW. In MK, there are only 6 of them and almost none of the handicapped stalls in MK are large enough to get a wheelchair into the stall and close the door. For someone like my DD who has to have her wheelchair in the stall and has to have an assistant, that means there are only about 6 toilets in MK that she can use.
For people with children who are autistic or others who need assistance, but don't have a wheelchair, the handicapped stalls in MK also may not be big enough (even though they look huge when you are in there alone). Or, if the person needing assistance is older and of the opposite sex, it may be very uncomfortable for everyone to have them in the ladies room.

So, I am always happy when someone posts the reminder that the Companion Restrooms are an option for some people and the only stalls (not the only bathroom, with many stalls) that some people are able to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter