Boulder ridge studio vs SSR 1 BR vs ASM family suite with a baby and preschooler

Aurora92

Earning My Ears
I’d love some advice on pros / cons of what resort and room to pick for our upcoming trip ! I will be traveling with my husband and two kids who will be 3 years old and 8 months old at the time of the trip. We’re thinking Feb/March of 2025 - 5 days / 4 nights . We will be driving 7 hours there and plan to do 1 MK day and 1 Epcot day with a full resort day in between . I plan on breastfeeding and will need an actual mini fridge or a refrigerator so I’m looking at budget friendly DVC / suites with refrigerators. We definitely want to stay on property!

For about the same cost ( basing cost on discounts this year ) I could stay at an ASMusic family suite or a BRV studio for about the same price . Is the deluxe splash pad / pool, ambiance , and convenient dining worth staying in a smaller room with only one bathroom ? Or is the ASMusic family suite space and full refrigerator worth it for the sacrifice of a more peaceful deluxe with a splash pad and boat to MK ?

On our vacation last year when our child was 2 - we stayed at the POR royal room and spent a lot of time at the POFQ splash pad . We loved it !!! The elevated ambiance and fun of the splash pad were the highlights of our trip . The themeing was a perfect fit for our family and we didn’t mind the bus . My husband even wanted to leave the parks early to spend more time relaxing at the pool and splash pad that our toddler adored . The beverage cooler was disappointing but I had expected that and planned ahead with shelf stable milk . However this time around the beverage cooler is a deal breaker for me considering we will have breast milk to store .

I’m also considering splurging for one of the least expensive 1 BR DVC rooms they have that gets discounted on the website with SSR. Would that room / resort be worth an extra $700 or more for our trip above a deluxe studio at BRV or the music suite ? I’d love to keep the cost at $500 or less per night if at all possible ( I have considered renting DVC and that’s about the cost of the 1 BR at SSR or OKW for our potential dates )
Is SSR a good place for a resort day with a baby and preschooler ? While my toddler loves horses right now , my husband isn’t interested in golf or shopping at Disney springs . Unsure if this resort would be worth the money for us . I wish we could afford a 1 BR at BRV or a studio at poly but it’s just not in the budget this go around . We do enjoy good dining, having a quieter and more relaxing environment, and having a resort that helps you get a break from the crowds of the parks .

I’d love to hear about personal experiences with the resorts and a baby ! Any advice or suggestions is welcome !

You should be able to get an SSR 1 bedroom for under 500 a night right now with current discounts. I highly recommend doing that with kids those ages (and I have traveled with kids those ages and while breastfeeding). The extra space/bedroom will be well worth it in getting everyone as much rest as possible which is critical for traveling with kids that young. You'll also feel so much more confident in the refrigerator with your breastmilk.

And if you have any major diaper blowouts or mishaps, there's a washer/dryer right in your unit.

The kids splash pad area next to the Paddock pool will be fantastic for your toddler.

SSR in general is going to feel so much more relaxing than a value resort, and I will take a 1 bedroom at any DVD resort over a studio at a "better" resort any day of the week.

The biggest criticism people have about SSR is being far from things and spread out, but if you have your car with you, that becomes way less of an issue. In fact, you'll love that you can park so close to your unit rather than having to trudge through long hallways with two strollers in tow.

For location, I would probably opt for the BRV studio for ease of getting to MK and a toddler friendly pool and splash pad. If your trip were longer I would probably recommend the 1-bedroom at SSR (especially in the preferred section), but I don't know if I would sacrifice location for such a short trip.

You should be able to get an SSR 1 bedroom for under 500 a night right now with current discounts. I highly recommend doing that with kids those ages (and I have traveled with kids those ages and while breastfeeding). The extra space/bedroom will be well worth it in getting everyone as much rest as possible which is critical for traveling with kids that young. You'll also feel so much more confident in the refrigerator with your breastmilk.

And if you have any major diaper blowouts or mishaps, there's a washer/dryer right in your unit.

The kids splash pad area next to the Paddock pool will be fantastic for your toddler.

SSR in general is going to feel so much more relaxing than a value resort, and I will take a 1 bedroom at any DVD resort over a studio at a "better" resort any day of the week.

The biggest criticism people have about SSR is being far from things and spread out, but if you have your car with you, that becomes way less of an issue. In fact, you'll love that you can park so close to your unit rather than having to trudge through long hallways with two strollers in tow.
I appreciate hearing about your personal experience ! I didn’t think about how having in room laundry could be a huge help at that age ! The 1 bedroom does look really nice and roomy at SSR.

For location, I would probably opt for the BRV studio for ease of getting to MK and a toddler friendly pool and splash pad. If your trip were longer I would probably recommend the 1-bedroom at SSR (especially in the preferred section), but I don't know if I would sacrifice location for such a short trip.
I appreciate your perspective in regards to trip length . I do think if we went for longer a room with a kitchen would be a must !

I am a big fan of having a door between the parents and the kids for nap times.

I'm a bigger fan if that door locks, and the parents cannot be caught in flagrante delicto when someone wakes up early from their nap.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I have not stayed in a BRV studio, but it's been mentioned here that the studios now have beverage coolers instead of mini fridges. The 1BR's there do have a full fridge as well as W/D (as do all 1BR's). I would do SSR for the full fridge, laundry (you don't realize how nice it is until you do), and kitchen. Plus the separate bedroom.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I have not stayed in a BRV studio, but it's been mentioned here that the studios now have beverage coolers instead of mini fridges. The 1BR's there do have a full fridge as well as W/D (as do all 1BR's). I would do SSR for the full fridge, laundry (you don't realize how nice it is until you do), and kitchen. Plus the separate bedroom.
We spent one night in a BRV studio in September. They do have beverage coolers. :worried:

SSR would be a nice choice and the extra space is wonderful. Extra space is always a plus in my book. ;) BRV is a better location for the MK; the units are all newly renovated and I can confirm they did a great job.

( basing cost on discounts this year )
While it's quite possible there will be similar discounts this year -- it's never advised to plan on that unless you absolutely will not book or travel without a discount. I always recommend to book a resort where you are OK with the price point, not expecting a offer to be applied later.

Just to mention, there is a kiddie pool at ASMu. I wouldn't call it a splash pad, though, so it likely is more basic than anything at BRV or SSR.

We spent one night in a BRV studio in September. They do have beverage coolers. :worried:

SSR would be a nice choice and the extra space is wonderful. Extra space is always a plus in my book. ;) BRV is a better location for the MK; the units are all newly renovated and I can confirm they did a great job.
Oh no ! I hate to hear it had a beverage cooler ! I wish they would keep the mini fridges in all the rooms .

Oh no ! I hate to hear it had a beverage cooler ! I wish they would keep the mini fridges in all the rooms .
It seems that some studios have beverage coolers and some have mini fridges - no consistency. So I'd vote for the ASMusic suite or the SSR 1BR on that basis since both will definitely have full size refrigerators with freezers. Given the in-room laundry and the multiple pools, including not one but two splash pads, I'd strongly lean toward the SSR 1BR for your family.

Another place to consider especially if you have a car that will have a two separate rooms and a proper refrigerator is Fort Wilderness Cabins.

No washer/dryer IN the cabin though.

It seems that some studios have beverage coolers and some have mini fridges - no consistency. So I'd vote for the ASMusic suite or the SSR 1BR on that basis since both will definitely have full size refrigerators with freezers. Given the in-room laundry and the multiple pools, including not one but two splash pads, I'd strongly lean toward the SSR 1BR for your family.
So is a mini fridge something you have to put a request for in order to get now instead of the beverage cooler? Every studio room tour I’ve seen online has the actual mini fridge.

So is a mini fridge something you have to put a request for in order to get now instead of the beverage cooler? Every studio room tour I’ve seen online has the actual mini fridge.
Actually, I think the studios are supposed to have mini fridges (except the VGF Resort Studios), but if a mini fridge breaks they’ll put in a beverage cooler if that’s all they have. In the interest of full disclosure, we rarely stay in studios, so this is what I remember reading in various posts here.

I just checked the WDW cash booking website, and the Amenities list for the Deluxe Studios at 3 different DVC resorts listed either “mini-fridge” or “refrigerator - small” so I think that’s what the standard is. Of course, we all know that Disney is nothing if not inconsistent!

Actually, I think the studios are supposed to have mini fridges (except the VGF Resort Studios), but if a mini fridge breaks they’ll put in a beverage cooler if that’s all they have. In the interest of full disclosure, we rarely stay in studios, so this is what I remember reading in various posts here.

I just checked the WDW cash booking website, and the Amenities list for the Deluxe Studios at 3 different DVC resorts listed either “mini-fridge” or “refrigerator - small” so I think that’s what the standard is. Of course, we all know that Disney is nothing if not inconsistent!
I think you’re right, and it could have just been a one off (or 2) that were replaced with BC. I cross posted in another thread to see if I could find a for sure answer as that may be a deal breaker for us!!

The glass front beverage cooler or do you mean a mini fridge with no freezer in the BRV studio?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter