Boulder Ridge Refurb Has Begun!

I'm not sure what you mean. The claim is that the new BRV rooms don't look "authentic" to the source material (the Yellowstone Inn), and I pointed out that even the Yellowstone Inn has "contemporary" furnishings in some of their rooms as well. The response to that was that Yellowstone Inn does, in fact, have rooms that are quite rustic and "lodgy". I never said they didn't. I was simply pointing out that Disney is no more guilty of wandering from original designs than the owners/operators of the resorts Disney is replicating. Disney modernizing rooms isn't a high crime and misdemeanor. We're not talking about installing an acoustic drop ceiling in the Cistine Chapel.

As to the Hotel Del, I simply pointed out that there is absolutely nothing in the Grand Floridian that even remotely resembles even one iota of the original Hotel Del Coronado interior design. Nothing. The entire lobby space bears no resemblance. Yes, the Hotel Del has modern guest rooms (and they are absolutely awful, by the way), but the common areas are all original. I am simply amused by the fact that so many are offended by what they feel is a deal-breaking departure from the source when it comes to BRV, when there's absolutely nothing true to the source at VGF, and no one cares one bit.
Don you seem to add context and hyperbole to posts that isn't there. At least you do with mine and this one seems the same. I don't think anyone has said a place isn't an authentic replica of xxx location so it's terrible. Just prefer or wish for a particular theme or style. The Grand is modeled or inspired by x and x but not a replica. Two vastly different things. Same for WL. Same for BRV. BRV is fairly removed from the original back story theme. And that never was Old Faithful Inn.

Don you seem to add context and hyperbole to posts that isn't there. At least you do with mine and this one seems the same. I don't think anyone has said a place isn't an authentic replica of xxx location so it's terrible. Just prefer or wish for a particular theme or style. The Grand is modeled or inspired by x and x but not a replica. Two vastly different things. Same for WL. Same for BRV. BRV is fairly removed from the original back story theme. And that never was Old Faithful Inn.
I try to read posts as they are written, and try to infer any nuances based on the tenor of the conversation, prior posts, etc. I'm not going to say that the nuances of posts, the tongue-in-cheek references, etc. do not get lost or misinterpreted. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy to begin with and I know PLENTY of mine do (I've even been reprimanded on a couple of posts where I was actually AGREEING with the poster I was responding to, LOL).

Having said that, there are literally dozens of posts in this and other threads, using very specific terms like ”ruined”, "ugly", “looks terrible”, “looks cheap”, "beige", "zero theming", "lost all it's charm", "doesn't look lodgy", and probably a dozen other variations on the idea that they ruined the rooms by making them so milquetoast as to bear zero resemblance to either the original theming, or the source material or intent. I mean, you can literally find a good handful of posters who have said they'll never stay at the resort again as a result of the new decor. Those don’t sound like mild discontent.

Personally, I really don't care what any of the rooms look like specifically, as long as they are clean, comfortable, in good repair and at least harmonize with the resort as a whole with at least some design intent. Ironically, I’m probably one of the least concerned with the theming. I was simply pointing out that some of the comments appear to be rather extreme as they relate to BRV, whereas other resorts that employ very loose interpretations or none at all from day 1 (which again is 100% ok) seem less the targets of the apparent vitriol. I get that none of them match, and that's totally cool. It's Disney. I also fully understand and respect that people grow fond of things, build strong memories, and don’t like changes to familiar places and things, and that’s the way it should be. Everyone's opinion matters.

To be clear, I don't want the lobby of the Grand to look anything like the Hotel Del. It's dark, poorly lit, and feels like you're in a 100 year old funeral parlor (now THAT's hyperbole). I quite like it just the way it is, “accurate” to anything or not. As to Old Faithful Inn as the theming influence, I understand that the Villas aren't the main lodge and the villas are supposed to more closely replicate a railroad inn and are not the same as the main lobby, but that seems to be the common point of reference for most people (people even compare the BRV rooms to CCV).

Last edited:
So now that the refurbished rooms are open, are they checking people into the old rooms anymore?

The WL looks a LOT more like the Ahwahnee Hotel at Yosemite than the Yellowstone Inn, so please stop referring to Yellowstone as the source material like it's some sort of codified fact.

The WL looks a LOT more like the Ahwahnee Hotel at Yosemite than the Yellowstone Inn, so please stop referring to Yellowstone as the source material like it's some sort of codified fact.
There was a couple of typos up-thread, the reference was supposed to be Old Faithful Inn, not Yellowstone, but once someone quotes it, there's no point fixing it.

b16c1a02f504aec94901e1765d2d2bb5.jpg
old_faithful_inn_jessica_hart_08.jpg
_0352_old-faithful-inn-3.jpg

No one is suggesting it's a "codified fact", just that there's no arguing that the influence is there.

We are planning a trip for June 2022, but are afraid we will be stuck in a room that has not been refurbished. Does anyone know the estimated timeline? What are the changes of it being finished by June?

If you don't like it, stay elsewhere, that is all I have to say on the complaints. For me, I think the new rooms are great and I am looking forward to staying there in May.
Only speaking for myself here…
It’s not about not liking it, but rather that DVC (and Disney in general) has lost their way. It seems that most DVC resorts are going cheap and cutting expenses. The decor lacks the immersive feeling of taking me to another place.

Similar things are happening all around Disney.
Remember they used to care about sight lines?

But how could they just do one side of a long hallway? Glad to see they are keeping up the pace!

But how could they just do one side of a long hallway? Glad to see they are keeping up the pace!
Maybe you just can’t see the other side taped up, or more likely because the other rooms look out onto the woods and aren’t so obvious to anyone walking by (no wide open pathway like on the lake side) and they chose not to cover the windows. There’s zero chance they’re doing only one side of a hallway.

Last edited:
During the condo meeting last week, a member stood up and complained about the decor changes made during the 2016 BoardWalk renovation. Below are photos from 2014, which the commenter referred to as "charming."

At that moment, I realized that there will never be universal agreement about the quality of any updates.

View attachment 724602
Oh my, that's a big no for me! haha

Im booked in a 2 bedroom at Boulder Ridge from Jan 4-9 and was just moved to Copper Creek. I was mildly disappointed and then realized no construction noise. So I’m happy.

I have a studio booked at BRV for those same dates. How did they notify you of the move?

I've heard from a CM at WL that the refurb is tentatively planned to be completed sometime in March. We've got a March trip planned. So I'd really like to know which rooms are likely to be the LAST ones taken out of service for the refurb. These would be rooms that have not had any work done and are still currently being occupied by guests.

Taken from post #1 in the VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread, the room map of BRV is shown below (thank you @Granny & @sleepydog25). Could anyone please share which rooms are still currently being used by guests in their earlier, worn condition?

1671384451495.png
1671385072767.png
1671385090586.png
1671385123176.png
1671385143867.png

I have a studio booked at BRV for those same dates. How did they notify you of the move?
I received a phone call (they left a voicemail) and it was automatically changed on my membership dashboard. I think the hall way they are working on now is mostly 2 bedrooms so was really surprised.

Jennifer

I've heard from a CM at WL that the refurb is tentatively planned to be completed sometime in March. We've got a March trip planned. So I'd really like to know which rooms are likely to be the LAST ones taken out of service for the refurb. These would be rooms that have not had any work done and are still currently being occupied by guests.

Taken from post #1 in the VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread, the room map of BRV is shown below (thank you @Granny & @sleepydog25). Could anyone please share which rooms are still currently being used by guests in their earlier, worn condition?

View attachment 726018
View attachment 726019
View attachment 726020
View attachment 726021
View attachment 726022
The short hallway rooms and atrium rooms they worked on first. From what I understand, those are the rooms coming back into inventory. Room 4535 was one of the first to start the remodel. So it looks like they may be starting on the long hallway now. I'm guessing by March there won't be any old rooms in circulation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter