Booked Contemporary: Does it feel Disney?

I think it depends what you want out of the trip.

Benefits of the CR include walking to MK, if you go Theme Park View you can watch the park light up for Christmas, etc. No construction expected Christmas 2016.

Benefits of WL include the decor, being more secluded and "away" from the lights of MK (hey, it can be a factor), lower rack rate. Who knows where the construction status will be on the Villas side, though.

Funny, I just watched a video of a walk-through of the Contemporary and some others of the Wishes view from there (not Cali Grill), and decided that it will be our destination for our arrival evening since we don't have a park ticket for that day. That resort is like a "ride" at Disney to me because every time I visited as a kid and young adult, we rode the monorail through it and I always thought it was so cool. This trip I want to experience being in it while the monorail comes gliding through. I plan to get there in time to stroll around, browse the gift shops, get a cupcake from Contempo Cafe, marvel at the monorail passing by, and get a spot to watch Wishes. That's going to be our first evening at WDW, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Given the chance, if I had the money, the Contemporary would be my number one choice in resort. No question. It's so cool to me.

By proximity, yes. By decoration, no.
At least this was our experience in August. The hotel is beautifully appointed, and the rooms are very comfortable (best AC I've ever experienced at Disney), but if you're looking for multiple hints of Disney in the room, it's a no. The only thing we found was a barely-there etching of Mickey in the shower curtain. We didn't even notice it until the last day of our 5 day stay.
Now...
We stayed recently at BC as well, and found the only Disney-decoration to be a picture hanging in the entryway of the room and a Mickey design in the shower curtain, though it's a much more obvious pattern than at CR. I'm guessing this may be the new trend in Deluxes, as they compete with the 4 Seasons, and Waldorf nearby. For the rack rate per night, I'm guessing the average guest doesn't want an in-your-face Disney experience in their room.

We were there this summer, and my two kids both pronounced it "cool", and we didn't even stay in the tower. Our room in the Garden wing allowed us a view of the monorail from our window, and the kids just loved that. No one missed being inundated by cartoons. (In fact, they don't want to stay anywhere else!!) The rooms are spacious, the grounds are beautiful, and it is pretty great to get on the monorail right at the hotel. Good luck with your decision!!

Had reservation at WL and switched based on construction at WL (including quiet pool )and size of room. Travelling with wife and 15 and 18 year old son and daughter. Wanted to try a deluxe we have not stayed at so picker CL. Seems a bit sterile from photos. Should I keep reservation or switch again??? Thanks in advance for opinions.
I really liked the contemporary, I didn't like there club level though, not really friendly and they really didn't want to help out with anything , but I think you are making a wise choice, I just got back from wilderness lodge and the construction was disturbing but more so the noise level at the main pool was so loud , with out a quiet pool for a break it was a bit overwhelming. I liked the pool area at the contemporary and it was great to walk to mk and be able to hop the monorail to the other resorts. You can easily visit WL

The CR is iconic Disney. First hotel we stayed at back in the day. Always have to visit when we are there and we also bought our first DVC at the BLT, came full circle. You will not be disappointed, enjoy!

Thanks all. The more we have read here and seen on you tube the family is sold! Contemporary here we come.

Disney? Not necessarily.
DisneyWorld? Absolutely. It's iconic to the resort itself. It's not as richly themed as the Polynesian (*cough* was *cough* ) or WL, GF, AKL, etc; But it's iconic DisneyWorld - Every video or brochure from the 70's had it prominently displayed as part of your trip. The monorail goes THROUGH it... it's just... awesome. There's also nothing quite like walking through Liberty Town towards the hub and looking out towards Tomorrowland and seeing... the Contemporary Resort.

When you're at the Polynesian you feel like you're in a Hawaiian setting.
When you're at the Wilderness Lodge you feel like you're in a ski lodge.
When you're at the Grand Floridian you feel like you've spent too much money :) (It's a nice resort too though)
When you're at the Contemporary you feel like you're in DisneyWorld.

I agree with pretty much everything said here. The CR is classic Disney all the way! The real magic of a stay here though isn't experienced by visiting. You have to experience the comfortable rooms and cool views and conveniences of its location to really know why we love the CR.

Have a great trip!! and enjoy the many advantages of staying in the CR!

The decor probably won't feel "Disney" to you, but let me tell you my thoughts. The CR was our first WDW hotel that we stayed in. In fact, I have stayed there several times as a child and when I think of WDW it is one of the first thing that comes to mind other than the parks. Here are a few things about it that make it "Disney" to me:

1. The monorail going through it. Others have said this already but I believe it is worth repeating. Where else can you ride on a monorail and actually go through a hotel? It's awesome! The image of the monorail disappearing into the hotel is one that stands out in WDW pictures/video over the years. The "hum" of the monorail while in the hotel is comforting (it's not loud...at least not that I recall. Of course, we were a few floors above. I imagine the first floor above might feel a bit different).

2. The round pool. I know it sounds dumb, but something about the round swimming pool makes me think of WDW. This was the pool I liked the most when I was younger and always looked forward to it.

3. The 4th floor. This is where you'll find Chef Mickey's, the stores, and the escalator/elevator to access the monorail. It doesn't get much more Disney for me than eating there with the monorail driving through every few minutes and shopping in the stores on that floor. Even just being on that floor brings back memories of waiting for extended family to meet us that were staying at the Poly on several of our trips.

4. The access to resort activities. There are so many resort activities available to Disney guests, but I feel like the CR has some of the best! Sailing, power boats, etc. It's all here. Of course, it's what we liked to do when we stayed back then. So I am biased. But for me, this is a big part of my memories.

5. The mural. There is this huge mural of a bunch of goats on a mountain. One has five legs. I always look for it (though I actually know exactly where it is as soon as I see it). It's just a tradition. Even when I am not staying there, I stop there and look for the goat. Why? Because it's cool.

I don't know if any of that helps, but this is what makes it Disney for me. Truth is, any WDW resort is Disney for you if you want it to be. It all comes down to preferences though. For me, CR is out of my adult budget so I won't be staying there again unless I suddenly strike it rich. Maybe later when my kids are grown, but for now it is everything I can do to plan our first family trip in a value hotel!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter