Booked Contemporary: Does it feel Disney?

puck292

Earning My Ears
Had reservation at WL and switched based on construction at WL (including quiet pool )and size of room. Travelling with wife and 15 and 18 year old son and daughter. Wanted to try a deluxe we have not stayed at so picker CL. Seems a bit sterile from photos. Should I keep reservation or switch again??? Thanks in advance for opinions.

Depends on how you define "feels Disney."

The monorail goes through it. For some, that's about as Disney as it gets. The pools and room decor are fairly understated. This can be a plus (after all the in your face in the parks) or a downside (because you want it 24-7).

i used to wonder about the same thing with the contemporary but i have come to feel like it is really classic disney with the monorail passing through it. it also has chef mickeys which certainly feels like disney and you can't beat the convenience of being on the resort loop. in the end it's personal preference but it's a really nice resort imho. good luck with your decision.

Having Chef Mickey's in the resort will give it an added Disney feel to the resort. Also being able to walk outside and see MK right there really puts me in the Disney mood. I think you will be happy with the resort.

Plenty disagree with me, but it is CLASSIC Disney. Maybe the most Disney feeling resort to me. Heck you can see the dang castle! It is hands down our favorite resort (and where we bought DVC last year). It has an unbeatable location, fantastic food choices, huge rooms, beautiful decor inside...the mary Blair mural...the monorail...

ah..home!

Feels Disney to us! I can remember as a very young child the first time we visited being in awe as we rode the monorail through it. I never dreamed I would ever actually get to stay there. Love this resort!!!

You might want to visit the contemporary thread as well. All of the deluxe resorts are on a theme, Victorian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Great Outdoors, Africa. There are Disney touches. What makes contemporary seem less themed, is that the other 4 themes listed are not ones you typically experience. The opulence of the the grand, the tiki of the poly, the national parkness of the great outdoors, the savanna of africa.

All of the deluxe resorts have the understated nods to Disney, hidden mickey's in the curtains or rugs, things like that. It isn't like the value resorts with a 40 foot yo-yo or a cars themed wing. Since you haven't stayed here before, why not give it a chance?

I think it feels very Disney. It feels more like a hotel to me, with some really cool Disney touches. I think GF & Poly feel more like resorts because of their layouts and themes. But we like the CR- especially if you're staying in the tower.

Plenty disagree with me, but it is CLASSIC Disney. Maybe the most Disney feeling resort to me. Heck you can see the dang castle! It is hands down our favorite resort (and where we bought DVC last year). It has an unbeatable location, fantastic food choices, huge rooms, beautiful decor inside...the mary Blair mural...the monorail...

ah..home!

I don't know how anyone could possibly disagree with you! It's as classic Disney as it gets - one of the original WDW hotels! :)

It feels Disney due to it's location but the rooms do not look Disney.
If that makes sense.
We stayed in another classic Disney hotel this summer, Disneyland Resort in CA.
It is very similar to CR in many ways.
But they did put a few touches to make it look Disney too.
I would love to see these small touches at CR myself.

Plenty disagree with me, but it is CLASSIC Disney. Maybe the most Disney feeling resort to me.

Really have to agree - our favorite mod is POR - absolutely beautiful, think it's the most relaxing with the theme, the grounds, the views - but I don't see how POR is even as close to being "Disney" as the CR. It still seems to hold that feel from my first visit in 1971 - that building WAS Walt Disney World, the thing that set WDW apart from DL - it was the icon of the future.

I have stayed in most of Walt Disney World Resorts but in my opinion, it doesn't get any more "Disney" than when you stay in one of the Magic Kingdom resorts and seeing Cinderella Castle in the distance.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

You know it's kinda funny, but when we to California Grill in 2012, our first impressions was it didn't feel like a Disney resort, compared to PORS which we were staying at that year. Then last year whilst staying at WL we had a ADR at The Wave, and it still didn't do it for us..Next year we are back at WL in October and the work going on wont spoil our trip as we are up every morning at 06.40am and off to the parks..But yes, it does have many lovers that go back year after year..I would stick with CR..

Like all the deluxe resorts it's not in your face Disney but very subtle Disney things surround you. Great to be able to walk to MK if that is your park of choice. Having said that, it is my least favorite deluxe and I've stayed in them all except WL and SS. I don't need or want in your face disney (one of the reasons I don't like the values) so that is not my problem with it. It just feels too, well for lack of a better word, contemporary. Or rather the 60s/70s idea of contemporary. I don't like the modern lines of the furniture or the kind of sterile feel of the place. I find the gift shop/restaurant area really noisy. MK is not my favorite resort, as a matter of fact we tend to only spend 3 or 4 hours there at a time and move on so the proximity to it isn't a plus for me. Will you regret it? Probably not, you will be at Disney after all so it's all good.

It USED to look like 60's contemporary, but now it looks like modern contemporary. The only issue is that it will need a refurb on a fairly regular basis to keep "contemporary" rather than dated. My least favorite deluxes are GF and BWV. Where some might describe CR as feeling "sterile" (I prefer to think of it as IKEA clean/mod), I find GF to be "grandma/stuffy" (and a run in with a particularly snotty CM there a few years ago sealed the deal for me). The BWV loses points for having no indoor food service places (meaning you have to leave the building to get to them), being far too spread out, and having that of-my-nightmares terrifying clown pool.

But...would I stay at ANY of them if the opportunity presented itself again? Sure! Disney's least favorite hotel is still darn nice and better than a day at home!

We are booked into Wilderness Lodge for Christmas 2016 but after reading this thread I'm thinking we should change to contemporary as well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter