Bob Iger leaves Trump's advisory council

I highly doubt this will negatively impact Disney's bottom line whatsoever. This is a non-event in terms of their revenue.

Color me impressed if Disney suffers an "80-90% drop in sales" over Iger leaving this council.

I don't mean to say that they'll "suffer an 80-90% drop in sales," but I was demonstrating that 80 - 90% of a population is an important amount of people--way more than the initially "6 or 7" who 'care' out of thousands (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

Edit: More specifically:

It's really not a big deal. Unless you are one of those 6 or 7 people.

I don't mean to say that they'll "suffer an 80-90% drop in sales," but I was demonstrating that 80 - 90% of a population is an important amount of people--way more than the initially "6 or 7" who 'care' out of thousands (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

80-90% of a population (size unknown) that are upset by Iger's move. You have no idea how many people that is, in real numbers, therefore you cannot say this is going to polarize "half the market."

80-90% of a population is not necessarily an important amount. 80-90% of my household is two adults and 3/4 of my dog.

80-90% of a population (size unknown) that are upset by Iger's move. You have no idea how many people that is, in real numbers, therefore you cannot say this is going to polarize "half the market."

80-90% of a population is not necessarily an important amount. 80-90% of my household is two adults and 3/4 of my dog.

The population being Disney's market (both existing and potential customers) who either have an opinion on US politics or are influenced by those who do (i.e. - children of parents who make financial decisions on buying Disney products and services). Again, this isn't to discuss politics--but rather, total available market for the Walt Disney Company.

I think we can all agree that the number, foreign and domestic, is a rather large one.

And Iger made 2 conflicting yet controversial moves against both sides of that population. Sure, the size is unknown. But it's a big percentage of a big number. That's all I'm saying.

(I don't think your dog counts towards Disney's TAM calculation. Well, at least, directly. I suppose Disney dog toys are on the market as well. :) paw:)

Yes they are. And Iger's making a lot of the same mistakes that Eisner did before his forced departure from Disney.

This is exactly the problem. He joined and then left before they could even meet. This polarizes Disney's potential audience, making the company and brand LESS valuable, overall. That's a big part of the CEO's job of a company--protect the brand and the strategy of a company. He just showed the public that he has no strategy.

Okay, let's suppose you're right. Should all protesters protesting Trump go home because they're not being listened to also? Why would they waste their time protesting?

My point is, regardless of Trump's opinion, if he's listening, or whatever--this looks incredibly stupid and indecisive of Iger. He would have been better off not getting involved in the first place. And when he did, there's no way he should have quit as a protest for something politically motivated.

Right, but most of Disney's profits and revenue are tied directly to the United States. This kind of controversy is not a risk worth taking.

If Iger had remained neutral and didn't do anything, no further consequences would have happened. He should actively try not to be political and polarizing. Again, this alienates half of the potential audience in the US!

Now, people WILL be outraged and some people will buy different products / go different places for vacation / not consider Disney in the same light. There's no positive upside for Disney to any of Iger's actions.

No one is going to call up their travel agent and say, "Wow! Iger just quit Trump's advisory committee! Just because he did that, I'm brining my family to Disneyland!" People WILL have the opposite reaction, though.

I saw your response to my post as well.

I'm not discussing politics, whatsoever. I have made no pro- or anti- Trump statement.

I'm discussing the incredible mis-management of the Walt Disney Company right now, as reflected in the news. Here we have a CEO who literally joined the council (and caught negative press for it) and then left it without attending it (and got more negative press for it). This was incredibly stupid and short sighted of Iger. What he did was just polarize half of the US with respect to Disney. Disney IS a brand. Probably, one of the most important, enduring American brands. And, to that note...

Walt wouldn't be proud of Iger for these (and other) incredibly indecisive and devise moves from a corporate management perspective. Rather, Walt Disney (and especially Roy) would have had VERY little patience for this kind of stuff. Iger's received bi-partisan criticism for quite a while, again, as he's been falling into traps that previous corporate managers of Disney fell into.

Further, Walt would likely be offended by you saying that you're prouder to be a Disney fan than an American. He'd tell you that without America, even with its many flaws, there is no Disney. Not in California, not in Florida, and not anywhere abroad.

If you need proof of this, note the fact that Disney's first animatronic human character was Abraham Lincoln from "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln." Patriotism was an important thing to Walt Disney.

Edit: Added "Human" Character to Abe, and grammar / etc.

Funny how you're so quick to attack Disney and go cynical.
Feeling a little... triggered?

(Sorry, sorry... I'll stop now.)

The population being Disney's market (both existing and potential customers) who either have an opinion on US politics or are influenced by those who do (i.e. - children of parents who make financial decisions on buying Disney products and services). Again, this isn't to discuss politics--but rather, total available market for the Walt Disney Company.

I think we can all agree that the number, foreign and domestic, is a rather large one.

And Iger made 2 conflicting yet controversial moves against both sides of that population. Sure, the size is unknown. But it's a big percentage of a big number. That's all I'm saying.

(I don't think your dog counts towards Disney's TAM calculation. Well, at least, directly. I suppose Disney dog toys are on the market as well. :) paw:)

You're speculating that Disney's TAM, both existing and potential customers, all have an opinion to the point that it makes/breaks their decision to spend money on Disney? Even the 80-90% figure is wild speculation. Though his being on the council (move 1) and leaving (move 2) are stirring the pot, can we assess how many people are actively refraining from Disney vacations, movies, TV shows, products, etc., just because of either of those moves?

I really don't agree that number--foreign and domestic--is large.

I suppose "time will tell," but again, this is a non-event.

ETA: the bit about my dog is in jest to demonstrate citing a percentage doesn't really mean much unless we know the size of a population. But on Disney dog toys, I saw some Mickey bar squeaky toys! They're pretty cute :):mickeybar

Funny how you're so quick to attack Disney and go cynical.
Feeling a little... triggered?

(Sorry, sorry... I'll stop now.)

Hey! I don't mean to "attack" Disney! I'm the biggest Disney fan you'll find! Heck, I LOVE Disney. If I didn't, I wouldn't put the effort forth to discuss this here! And I've been a loyal customer for decades. I became a stockholder in the early 90's, and I've bought a lot more since then. I'm not attacking anyone or any company. I'm criticizing Iger's decisions and further evidence having a lack of a strategy. Nothing breaks my heart more than stupid corporate decisions like this from senior executives. (And I made it through Eisner!)

The larger issue is that there really needs to be someone who can handle operational strategy better than Iger. Iger's network history served Disney well for a while, but this is an example of the not-well-thought-out and reactive / impulsive decisions that he's been making in the past few years. Luckily, we're not at 2003 levels yet, but the ship's turning in that direction...

the bit about my dog is in jest to demonstrate citing a percentage doesn't really mean much unless we know the size of a population. But on Disney dog toys, I saw some Mickey bar squeaky toys! They're pretty cute :):mickeybar

I think I've seen those same ones! I'll admit, those have made me want to get a dog before.

I think I've seen those same ones! I'll admit, those have made me want to get a dog before.

Don't do it. Then you'll have a hard time ever going on vacation! :) My bf and I spent a week in Hawaii last year and every 10-20 min one of us would turn to the other and say how much we missed our dog.

I don't know how we'll manage our Disney trip this fall :laughing:

Personally, I have new found respect for Mr. Iger. Up until this announcement, he was "Igor" to me--a greedy monster who would do anything for a buck.

IMO, he demonstrated principles and bravery in making this decision. Good for him.

I find it hilarious that people think this will negatively impact Disney. I mean, how many people who show up at WDW or DL know the NAME of the CEO of Disney, let alone care that he used the company stance on the environment to leave an advisory council that even more people probably has no clue if it has ever met? As I stated before, if anything, it will be a net positive impact judging by the polls and surveys about how people feel about leaving this (a TON more people wanted to stay in than leave).

If Bob Iger cared sincerely about the environment, he wouldn't spend so much time on yachts. As far as Disney is concerned, are there solar panels in the parks anywhere? They could be there but I haven't seen them. Are Disney buses economically friendly? How about Disney cruise ships?

I'm not complaining. My family benefits from Disney in a lot of ways, especially if they can keep prices somewhat steady.

Elon Musk has gotten billions of dollars from taxpayer-funded grants for his businesses and that's why he cares. How does Bob Iger benefit financially? Maybe he has stock in businesses that are funded in large part by government grants. Maybe he's concerned whenever something doesn't support whatever cheap labor Disney uses, i.e. refugee programs that contribute taxpayer $$$ to businesses who hire refugees. Maybe he's concerned about the direction the H1-B visa program might be headed, which Disney obviously benefits from.

Whatever enticed him to be on the President's Council, to begin with, had something to do with benefits to him or business, not the environment.

I don't really care either way about Bob Iger's opinions, as long as it doesn't impact the cost of my next Disney cruise. My family does what we can for the environment personally, at home but I'm not going to buy a Prius or solar panels because that would take away from my vacation money.

I googled his house, which cost him $15 mil, doesn't look like it has solar panels.

If Bob Iger cared sincerely about the environment, he wouldn't spend so much time on yachts. As far as Disney is concerned, are there solar panels in the parks anywhere? They could be there but I haven't seen them. Are Disney buses economically friendly? How about Disney cruise ships?

I'm not complaining. My family benefits from Disney in a lot of ways, especially if they can keep prices somewhat steady.

Elon Musk has gotten billions of dollars from taxpayer-funded grants for his businesses and that's why he cares. How does Bob Iger benefit financially? Maybe he has stock in businesses that are funded in large part by government grants. Maybe he's concerned whenever something doesn't support whatever cheap labor Disney uses, i.e. refugee programs that contribute taxpayer $$$ to businesses who hire refugees. Maybe he's concerned about the direction the H1-B visa program might be headed, which Disney obviously benefits from.

Whatever enticed him to be on the President's Council, to begin with, had something to do with benefits to him or business, not the environment.

I don't really care either way about Bob Iger's opinions, as long as it doesn't impact the cost of my next Disney cruise. My family does what we can for the environment personally, at home but I'm not going to buy a Prius or solar panels because that would take away from my vacation money.

I googled his house, which cost him $15 mil, doesn't look like it has solar panels.
I can verify there are solar panels on Disney property:
IMG_2103.JPG

Okay, LOL! :)

I'm too lazy to look up any specifics about what that powers. Duke Energy, the company who built that field has gotten $900M in federal grants though (I wasn't too lazy to look that up.) I'm sure Disney gets a big tax break for that too. If it somehow keeps prices for Disney World steady, I'm for it. If my tax dollars contributed to that though, I'm against.

Whatever Bob Iger's motivation, it has nothing to do with the environment, it has to do with his bottom line. If he really wanted to contribute to the discussion, he would stay on the council. If the other countries, or the UN for that matter, cared about the environment, they would consider the US to renegotiate, since it's a matter of "life or death". It was never about the environment. It's about money.

Are Disney buses economically friendly?

I don't know about economically, but environmentally, yes.

Imagine all the cars that would be driving individually, emitting carbon as opposed to the one bus that eliminate the need for several families to drive individually. Public transit, ride sharing and car pooling are better options for the environment.

My family and I have been going to WDW since 1973. We are returning for our 41st trip in September. During all those years and trips not one President or Disney CEO even entered my mind about not going on the trip. If folks cancel a Disney Vacation because of something stupid done by our government or upper management of Disney they would never go and would have never been.

I don't know about economically, but environmentally, yes.

Imagine all the cars that would be driving individually, emitting carbon as opposed to the one bus that eliminate the need for several families to drive individually. Public transit, ride sharing and car pooling are better options for the environment.

I guess I didn't think when I typed that, I meant "environmentally". You make a good point but my personal opinion is that Disney runs the buses for reasons that have to do with keeping people on-site, etc., without regard for environmental impact, but that's another debate.

Yep, and it's enough to power splash mountain-wow that helps.

That is 22 acres of solar panels that produces over 5,000 megawatts. That would be enough electricity for 1,000 average Florida homes.

Disney also uses CNG and bio-diesel(R50) in its bus fleet. Both have 50% or less emissions as regular diesel.

Last edited:
That is 22 acres of solar panels that produces over 5,000 megawatts. That would be enough electricity for 1,000 average homes.

Agreed-enough for Splash Mountain. :thumbsup2 Instead of using it for homes.

VOLUME NO. 2201/15
What Disney's massive solar panel plant means for tourism

Business Journal - Wednesday 13th April, 2016

uni1460489889.jpg

Wall-E would be proud. Walt Disney World, Duke Energy and the Reedy Creek Improvement District welcomed a new solar power facility that will provide some renewable energy for the massive theme park.

The five-megawatt, 48,000-solar panel facility ' which is in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head ' is the theme park's latest effort in bringing renewable energy into the theme park business, as it will generate enough power to operate Splash Mountain each year, said a release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter