Bob Iger leaves Trump's advisory council

This was a terrible, stupid, and short-sighted move for Iger.

By his actions, he's giving up a captive audience with the president of the US, and simultaneously polarizing public opinion about the Walt Disney Company. He's acting as a poor steward of the company just to advance his whole political agenda and narrative.

No good can come out of this. He (and Elon Musk) just look like the fools they are for what they're doing.

This removes my already thin faith in Iger as CEO. Disney needs to dismiss Iger in favor of the co-management model of yesterday. Disney was always a better company that produced better results with a creative talent and a operational talent at the head of the company, working together. (Walt & Roy, Eisner & Wells.) When greed and politics enter Disney management, disaster strikes.

By his actions, he's giving up a captive audience with the president of the US, and simultaneously polarizing public opinion about the Walt Disney Company. He's acting as a poor steward of the company just to advance his whole political agenda and narrative.

No good can come out of this. He (and Elon Musk) just look like the fools they are for what they're doing.

This removes my already thin faith in Iger as CEO. Disney needs to dismiss Iger in favor of the co-management model of yesterday. Disney was always a better company that produced better results with a creative talent and a operational talent at the head of the company, working together. (Walt & Roy, Eisner & Wells.) When greed and politics enter Disney management, disaster strikes.
As we can't get into politics here but Iger has been a known democrat for years. Because of that many questioned why he joined at all. Iger said he wanted to be a voice in the room. Iger also isn't always looking out just for himself. The company and him have certain principles they follow and I believe that is what led him to this decision.

As we can't get into politics here but Iger has been a known democrat for years. Because of that many questioned why he joined at all. Iger said he wanted to be a voice in the room. Iger also isn't always looking out just for himself. The company and him have certain principles they follow and I believe that is what led him to this decision.

I'll probably get points for this, but Iger's actions are hypocritical. If he was so concerned about the climate, he would have never built Shanghai Disney.

For those voicing their joy about the fact that he left over this, do you actually know what the Paris agreement said? What about it was good for the country? Just curious.

There is a reason everything has been shorted to just be "carbon" emissions, and it's to confuse us. C02 (carbonDIOXIDE) has very little or no effect on climate change according to the chief of the EPA. I guess he took 8th grade science because that should be obvious to all of us. Animals and plants have had a symbiotic relationship for millions (or however long you want to believe) of years. They give us oxygen, we give them c02. We all know this. The carbon emissions of the Paris deal is at best trimming around the edges.

I don't think the US has any reason to sign an agreement with other nations that basically amounts to self-imposing sanctions. Now if you disagree and think we should do that, that's fine. But don't act like this deal was going to save the world, or that by pulling out we are dooming us all as many are doing.

We can and should pursue new technology that results in cheaper and cleaner energy. I think even people who believe climate change is a hoax can get behind that. If we are really serious about reducing our footprint, the best thing we can do is to stop being so polarizing about it and making it about saving the world, or calling people denying, or saying we are all going to die, or telling people they hate the earth and their future grandchildren. But that's not what will happen. We will all continue to getting distracted by our own opinions and agendas and caring about being right more than about actually helping.

Just my 2 cents. I could be completely wrong. And I'm sorry to get political. But strings of comments voicing approval or disapproval of something Trump did or something someone did in reaction to something Trump did is also political. They just don't expand on their opinion.(sidenote: I'm not a republican and I was very against Trump and did not vote for him.) I don't want to start an argument. Just wanted to present an alternative way to look at things. We are all in this together. People have the opinions and stances they have for a reason. The more we are willing to listen to other people, the more they will be willing to listen to us. And we might just learn something.

Last edited:

Would that be the $$$ principle?

I agree with The Greg, now he has a convenient excuse for not being a part of the council.
As he hadn't gone yet, can he really be missed?

For those voicing their joy about the fact that he left over this, do you actually know what the Paris agreement said? What about it was good for the country? Just curious.

I'm not going to get into the whole issue of climate change it nor Scott Pruitt's statements with his lack of any science knowledge just to avoid the political debates. But for this part, solar jobs employ more people in the energy sector than oil, gas, or coal (and actually it may be more than all those combined), so making commitments to go green would be great for the economy, and hence great for Disney. Disney needs people with disposable incomes and I'm sure that is the excuse Iger can use in backing out of his meetings with Trump.

As for if it's good/bad for the company, I'd argue it's probably very good for them. Numbers show that the majority of Americans wanted to stick in this deal. You could argue it may be too political, but from what I remember as a kid, WDW has always been very big into environmental issues, so it pretty much goes along with how the company has always operated.

Pretty sure after today's decision Trump's advisory council will consist of Coal, Oil, Timber, Mining and Waste Disposal CEOs. I think any other CEO remotely concerned about environmental po

There is a reason everything has been shorted to just be "carbon" emissions, and it's to confuse us. C02 (carbonDIOXIDE) has very little or no effect on climate change according to the chief of the EPA. I guess he took 8th grade science because that should be obvious to all of us. Animals and plants have had a symbiotic relationship for millions (or however long you want to believe) of years. They give us oxygen, we give them c02. We all know this. The carbon emissions of the Paris deal is at best trimming around the edges.

This is said in irony, right? Everyone who has taken 8th grade science also understands that there is a balance. Certain lifeforms produce CO2, other lifeforms consume CO2. If you have too much production, and not enough consumption, what happens? There is more CO2 in the atmosphere. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. That means it allows energy (heat) in, but not out of the atmosphere. This is known to 8th graders who took science and easily demonstrable in science experiments. So as CO2 levels have risen, because we produce copious amounts of it burning fossil fuels, and we've cut down deciduous forests or burnt rainforests (both killing consumers and releasing their stored CO2), we have lessened the number of consumers of CO2 on the planet.

Now, is CO2 the worst of the greenhouse gasses? No, it isn't. Methane is significantly worse as are others. But that doesn't mean it isn't a problem that we need to deal with and, frankly, one of the easiest to deal with.

For facts, not alternative facts, please see this NASA article:

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/

You bring up some very good points. I agree with you.

But it's pretty clear from Elon Musk and Tim Cook that their words fall on deaf ears. I think it got to the point where the potential of having some sort of influence was outweighed by the optics/beliefs of the company.

Not necessarily, maybe Trump did take their opinions into account, but decided the best thing for the country was to pull out. Musk and Iger, on the other hand, sound like the proverbial little boys who didn't get their way and took their ball home.

Honestly, you'd think they would give their membership on the council a little more time. What has it been, only about four months? And Iger could've attended at least one meeting.

Why can't everybody (yes everybody) just say they believe in man made caused climate change (whether they do or not), so we can move on and get back to our gas cars, AC in our homes and cars and spinning rides and open doors and walls with AC running at WDW-and sleep at night because we all care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter