Board not as active anymore?

I just don't feel that there are interesting discussions any more that people want to participate in. There is no substance to it. The Community Board has become filled with silly questions of "what is, what if, what do you" by the same people over and over again. Some enjoy it, which is great. Others don't.

I think it's a combination of things. Like others mentioned, other social media platforms are used now.

I also think the fact that we can't discuss covid/pandemic drove people off. When we could discuss it, these boards really helped me to get through. People sharing information about vaccines and sharing what was going on in their section of the country etc. really helped to get perspective of what was going on during a very tumultuous time. It was nice to have a place to come and share info and experiences about what was going on.

Well my soccer threads get a lot of attention (people either like them, hate them, or simply acknowledge they exist). I do think some on this board appreciate them though. :confused3
But in general, I think activity on the Disboards is changing since we all have new ways of finding more information about Disney and other matters then we did before. That being said, I prefer the Disboards environment than social media in general.

Disney is not such a big deal anymore. Just like social media has changed this forum do has Disney. Many Disney goers like me went lots back in the early 2005-2015. Then it got to be too early expensive and we could go do lots of other things where our money stretched further. I can take a 7 day cruise for 3 people for a lot less than going to Disney. With all the rules in place it is a cluster. Sign of the times.

There is one board I stopped visiting/posting because the moderator had it on such a tight leash that it took the fun out of it.

I spend more times on other boards if I have a trip coming and I am looking for tips and ideas.

I can be found on the DLP board often as I am one of the few AP holders here. I visit often and there are plenty of people here preparing their visits to Paris, and I like to help.

For the community board, it is a pity that a lot of discussions are off limits, people are offended so easily (i got a warning because one of my posts offended a poster, while the OP was happy with it. Similar posts in other threads didnt get a warning because the offended poster probably didn't see them), these things take the fun out of the board.

if I do react, I like to give a European perspective on this mainly US board. Usually appreciated, but not always ;)

I'm not on as much as I used to be when I was planning at least a yearly trip to WDW. I haven't been back since a 2 day trip tacked on to the end of a cruise in 2017 and have no current plans to go back at this point. I stop in here and there just to keep up with what's going on in case we decide to tack a couple of days onto another trip. WDW just isn't a primary destination for us any more, mostly due to cost. I can go on a lot of other vacations and for longer for less than I can go to WDW for a week.

I get quiet on the boards at times because the rules are set up that we often can’t discuss current events. I’ll respect the rules, but they do dampen real conversations, even when posters are in disagreement.

I don’t fault any of the posters who create “fluff” posts and sometimes they’re fun, but personally they usually don’t hold my interest.

I feel like the pandemic fast tracked a growing problem. People just don’t know when to stop bickering and have barely any civility anymore. We are rage baited by media on a regular basis and we take it out on each other. Everyone is so polarized.

It’s exhausting. We can’t talk about what is actually meaningful and happening in our lives because of board rules.. but when we do the mods end up having to babysit the thread and deal with the same arguments day in and day out.

That’s my cranky opinion for the day 😬
I agree with this. During COVID, the moderators seemed to make a sincere effort to let people discuss those crazy times more freely. Unfortunately, many posters took advantage and were consistently insulting, angry, politically polarizing, and/or just plain repetitive and boring. I ignored several of them, but ultimately just took a break. I’ve noticed a few others who left at that time and haven’t come back.

I think it’s nice to have an actively moderated community board. If you want to engage others more freely over politics or other potentially divisive topics, there are plenty of other platforms out there!

I think it's a combination of things. Like others mentioned, other social media platforms are used now.

I also think the fact that we can't discuss covid/pandemic drove people off. When we could discuss it, these boards really helped me to get through. People sharing information about vaccines and sharing what was going on in their section of the country etc. really helped to get perspective of what was going on during a very tumultuous time. It was nice to have a place to come and share info and experiences about what was going on.
I feel the same way. I really enjoyed the info shared on covid/pandemic/vaccines and was disappointed when we wouldn't discuss those things.

I feel like this board is reflective of what we have out there in real life right now - a lot of emotion and discouragement, bickering with others, shock and criticism, etc. We’re definitely not in a period of calm and cohesiveness anymore, at all, and it’s sad. Amost everything is an argument.

I don’t blame people for leaving. I agree that the Mods have had some patience to let us talk about things that are important to us as a society, but when it gets to be nasty it has to be shut down, and that stinks.

There are lots of posters I miss. Fortunately there are many posters and conversations I still enjoy and that’s what keeps me here. I’ve started a lot of threads that I thought might be interesting that got few replies. It seems like the most popular threads are those that have some sort of controversy or blame, etc. That seems to be what people want.

I was thinking about this, I think we are all in a weird place where trolls are running things. Most people on here are fine, even those who swing deep into one side or the other out of passion for a belief are still perfectly normal, too me at least. Like I enjoy hearing an impassioned response because I totally recognize my own bias and can't evolve if I never let other points of view into my world, even if I don't change a thing it's good to be mindful. However, some thoughts draw in seething trolls who are bent on closing down a topic so they go out of their way to bait others into saying things completely out of character to that end. We are in 2022 and have all been enduring this behavior for nearly 2 decades it seems, so this sort of baiting of troll brigades are always so very obvious. It might be a pain but no offense, I'd much rather the mods spend their time cutting off the trolls than shutting down an entire subject because of the trolls it brings. I can only imagine interesting topics draw lots of views and that rakes in the dollars for the site so this way of doing things can't possibly be in the business models best interests. Not that my observation matters but there does seem to be a pattern.
Yes, and let's not forget the self-appointed Community Standards Patrol that will chime in like clockwork with their popcorn munching emojis and their "Counting down until this one's closed..." comments. I imagine they're actually reporting a lot of posts/threads which then obligate the Mods to act. :rolleyes:

Yes, and let's not forget the self-appointed Community Standards Patrol that will chime in like clockwork with their popcorn munching emojis and their "Counting down until this one's closed..." comments. I imagine they're actually reporting a lot of posts/threads which then obligate the Mods to act. :rolleyes:
I do wonder when the moderators feel obliged to act. I sometimes report stuff, and I have the feeling it rarely gets picked up by the mods. Is 1 person enough, or does it take 3 complaints, 5?

I feel like maybe the Community Board is a smallercore group, but the trip boards seem to be pretyt normal. Keep in mind, those ar emostly about questions and answers, and there still seem to be plenty. The news board is always hopping too. The movies/books forum has always been sad and I wish more of you would come on over to it!

I see it slightly differently. I actually think it is a good thing when the sane/rational/adult participants speak out against the looney tune/fringe people who are spouting nonsense while acting like they are the only ones allowed to have a turn at the microphone. More of the rational ones now seem willing to speak out against the nonsense regardless of the topic and I think that is a good thing. If the looney tune types don't like hearing other points of view, it is fine by me when they move on to some other website.

I get quiet on the boards at times because the rules are set up that we often can’t discuss current events. I’ll respect the rules, but they do dampen real conversations, even when posters are in disagreement.

I don’t fault any of the posters who create “fluff” posts and sometimes they’re fun, but personally they usually don’t hold my interest.
As long as you dont commit the crime of wrongthink. WDWMagic will have you.

Careful, you don’t want to come across as an angry Canadian lol

(Said with tongue in cheek) for those who think I’m trying to be one too

It used to be that only serious politics/religion were off limits... now it seems that a lot more 'current event' topics are off limits (covid, gas, reedy creek, mass shootings etc) .... so i think that is a big part of why the board is not as busy. Having big topics off limit is a bit of a 'drag'.... especially when those topics are a big part of our lives at the moment...
That's a big problem on the Cruise Line Forum. People have thousands of dollars invested in cruises and want to be prepared for the rapidly changing situation with the pandemic but board rules forbid the topic so they go elsewhere for information.

For the community board, it is a pity that a lot of discussions are off limits, people are offended so easily (i got a warning because one of my posts offended a poster, while the OP was happy with it. Similar posts in other threads didnt get a warning because the offended poster probably didn't see them), these things take the fun out of the board.

if I do react, I like to give a European perspective on this mainly US board. Usually appreciated, but not always;)

I do wonder when the moderators feel obliged to act. I sometimes report stuff, and I have the feeling it rarely gets picked up by the mods. Is 1 person enough, or does it take 3 complaints, 5?
So did what you reported offend you? Confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter