Board not as active anymore?

I agree social media seems to have cut into the activity here. But I will say things seem less hyper-dramatic here than they do on the various Disney-related Facebook groups. I'd rather talk to people here than there, you all are a lot nicer. :-)

Another thing. I've been posted a little less lately because I'm kind of mad at Disney right now. My trip back in April stunk and other things about the company are irking me. Won't go into that though. I don't have any future Disney trips planned and it's going to be awhile before I'm ready to go back.

I wonder if other posters are also souring on the company.

So maybe if I do get chatty again it will be because I'm talking about going to Universal in November or Gatorland/Discovery Cove/Seaworld/Busch Gardens/Legoland/Dali Museum/DeLeon Springs/Ybor City/airboat touring in April 2023...
Exactly this. I used to browse through posts and add my perspective almost daily. But we're taking a Disney break for a while...same reasons as many. We had Annual Passes for several years, but have seen so many valuable Disney features taken away with the expectation that we pay more for less. No thanks.

I have been reading a few occasional posts relevant to our vacation plans for this year which include both Seaworld parks and Universal; informative but not the same.

It used to be so fun to compare stories with others who used to love Disney as much as we did. Now it's just sad; it kinda feels like reading old letters from the boyfriend who cheated on you and dumped your for your prettier, richer best friend...lol. Kinda painful actually.

If you put the people on ignore who start daily fluff threads you have no interest in seeing, then the first page will display other topics of more interest to you.
I wish it was possible to do entire forums and/or just subscribe to the ones that pertain to you.

Inflation is going to the moon. Less people can afford Disney, so less people come to a Disney planning board. Or they're just hanging out on Reddit or another social network for help.

But the strange thing is that Disney is more crowded than ever. I look at pictures on FB groups and the crowds are shoulder to shoulder, wait times are hours long, it's just incredible. Given the cost of airline tickets, gas prices for those who drive, the complaints about the Genie + system etc. you would think attendance would be down, but it seems to be thriving better than ever.

But the strange thing is that Disney is more crowded than ever. I look at pictures on FB groups and the crowds are shoulder to shoulder, wait times are hours long, it's just incredible. Given the cost of airline tickets, gas prices for those who drive, the complaints about the Genie + system etc. you would think attendance would be down, but it seems to be thriving better than ever.

My guess is two years of vacation savings hitting this year. This isn't sustainable.

I'm assuming Disney will start discounting toward the middle to end of next year when the same demand doesn't return.

Besides moving to facebook groups, the amount of Disney vloggers has also increased a lot over the years and Youtube has become more and more popular to find answers.
If I google Genie+, google gives me several videos to watch. I can get a visual explanation on a topic within a few minutes without any discussion. Discussion boards aren't the easiest source of information as you get more than one opinion or additional tips and tricks you might not need.

I think the majority wants a basic understanding of Disney World. Not to the incredible detail we discuss here.

Last edited:
In a world where even SnapChat is no longer the shiny new kid on the block (I don't even know what is these days, but I hear my kids talk about "Be Real," whatever that is), it's amazing to me these boards still exist at all. Pete and all the mods must be doing something right to have lasted 25 years!

I go through phases when I'm more active here and then I slink off into the background for a while, or "lurk," if you will. But the two places I check on a daily basis are Facebook and here.

I wish it was possible to do entire forums and/or just subscribe to the ones that pertain to you.
There is.

First you "watch" just the forums you want:

Watching a forum.png
(The button will be near the top, but below any "sticky" threads.)

Then, when you log in, you go to "watched forums" - either like this:
Viewing Watched forums.png

or like this:
Watched Forums.png

If you put the people on ignore who start daily fluff threads you have no interest in seeing, then the first page will display other topics of more interest to you.
Each page maxes out at 30 threads. The heavy duty questioners I have on ignore usually occupy 10-15 threads on page 1. Non ignored threads do not fill in. If 10 are ignored, 20 will show up.

Each page maxes out at 30 threads. The heavy duty questioners I have on ignore usually occupy 10-15 threads on page 1. Non ignored threads do not fill in. If 10 are ignored, 20 will show up.

I just click 'next page' or whatever it is called to show page 2-3 if the people I have ignored took up most of page 1.

For those complaining about fluff threads when was the last time you started a thread?

Why bash the posters that do start threads?
Seems like that negativity is part of the problem.

A question was asked and answered.

This is a sad an ironic example right here why people have probably left. :( On a thread ASKING why this board is less active and people give their preferences and opinions as to WHY they post less they are then bullied and intimidated that their preference and response is wrong and that they needed a QUALIFICATION first to even have posted their differing opinion. :sad2:

For those complaining about fluff threads when was the last time you started a thread?

Since you ASKED:

This is one of my CURRENT/ON-GOING threads, going on a year and a half now. You want FLUFF? Here's a whole thread about fluffy, feel-good movies, 4 networks, (Hallmark, HM&M, GAC Family & Lifetime) contained in one thread. Hallmark's Christmas in July is starting in three weeks, premiering Hallmark's newest collectible holiday ornaments which usually include: Star Wars, Marvel & Disney ornaments. 🥰

Hallmark Movies ❤️ comfort & joy

The Dancing With the Stars - Fall 2021 thread started 6 months ago and was recently bumped up, (not by me) as it is still relevant with current info about the show. I originally wasn't going to do a thread last season as the took a turn for the worst the previous season. Yet last season turned out to have some contenders and I even said on the thread, "there may be some good weeks to watch [together] & discuss." (I also OPed and was thread secretary the last 22(?) consecutive threads for each season of this show. We have a Monday night group in which we watch together, or some DISers just follow along without posting. :grouphug:)

Ironically and relevant, I had even put this in the OP, as I make it known that ALL opinions are safe, appreciated and respected on the thread. NO, I didn't edit the OP to add it in for this post here.

Feel FREE to have and voice different and opposing opinions. :hyper2: While people get annihilated on other DIS threads for having different opinions,

Near the beginning of the Ukraine war, when most of us were shell-shocked at the news and I found out that Top Gun: Maverick finally had an official, for real, no - for really real this time, final premiere date, I started this thread. The FIRST line of the OP is, "Thought we could use some fun stuff to chat about."

And when the premiere date did happen a couple weeks ago, I bumped the thread for those of us who waited 3 years for this movie and want to celebrate kicking off the summer by seeing something with splashy visual effects and is fun on the big screen. Most reviews on the DIS, so far, have been favorable. :thumbsup2

New Top Gun 2: Maverick trailer is released

I also posted a thread for Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy returns (finally) with Season 2 raving, for those who missed Season 1 that it's a not-to-be-missed love story about Italy, it's culture, it's history and most of all, it's regional foods. (I still have all episodes ready to binge watch when I get the time.)

Then there's my 13th(?) annual DIS Live Watch Party threads for the red carpet/awards show. Various DISers on other threads have voiced they don't like the award shows or find them relevant any longer. I don't have a problem with them having differing opinions. I don't expect everyone to codependently share my likes or opinions. I am always grateful that they said it on another thread (like people have done on this thread,) rather than being a party pooper on the actual thread.

YET, when Will Smith did the "slap seen around the world," I bet there wasn't a single DISer on the CB who didn't know which thread everyone would be talking about it on: The Official DIS Oscars LIVE Watch Party Thread! The Afterparty continues. . .

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway isn't even my thread, yet during the worst of the pandemic, when Broadway shows were shut down, I single-handedly kept the thread going. I actually live in NYC in the Times Square/theatre district ❤️ (and not as a coincidence.) So I often hear blurbs on the local news pertaining to Broadway & my area. At first, it started off with filmed performances performers posted online, to keep us going. Then as the Broadway re-start was delayed over and over and over again :sad1: it was a labor of love and homage to Broadway. To keep that thread going with a symbolic candle light 🕯️ holding the faith that the dark Broadway theatres would end someday, instead of allowing it to become another DIS extinct zombie thread. :sad::sad::sad:

Broadway finally re-opened and the thread is back to normal. :woohoo: Yet, I still post every once in a while if I hear something that may be of interest. 3 days ago, I posted how Lincoln Center will be having over 300+ FREE family friendly concerts, performances & events this summer:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...hings-broadway.2061008/page-273#post-64064060

I have more than proven with past/current/ongoing threads that I have more than enough "qualifications" to to state my preferences and opinions here.

Yet, I'll say this on behalf of others who maybe aren't as bold or are uncomfortable starting threads, that IF SOMEONE IS A MEMBER OF THE DIS, THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN PREFERENCES AND OPINIONS AND TO BE ABLE TO STATE THEM WITHOUT QUALIFICATIONS OR JUSTIFICATIONS IMPOSED BY ANOTHER MEMBER.

If (general) you don't like or are uncomfortable with another person's stated preferences, that's about YOU.

I have to wonder how many people just stop posting or reading a thread and say to themselves, "Why bother? . . What's the point?" when another member tells them what and when it's acceptable to post something? Then one day it went from not posting on threads to "Why bother coming to the DIS?" and they are gone.

Which is what this thread was originally ASKING? What happened to all the activity?

And maybe that's "part of the problem"?

. . . Unless that's the intent. Get rid of posters who don't think the same.

This is a sad an ironic example right here why people have probably left. :( On a thread ASKING why this board is less active and people give their preferences and opinions as to WHY they post less they are then bullied and intimidated that their preference and response is wrong and that they needed a QUALIFICATION first to even have posted their differing opinion. :sad2:

Since you ASKED:

This is one of my CURRENT/ON-GOING threads, going on a year and a half now. You want FLUFF? Here's a whole thread about fluffy, feel-good movies, 4 networks, (Hallmark, HM&M, GAC Family & Lifetime) contained in one thread. Hallmark's Christmas in July is starting in three weeks, premiering Hallmark's newest collectible holiday ornaments which usually include: Star Wars, Marvel & Disney ornaments. 🥰

Hallmark Movies ❤️ comfort & joy

The Dancing With the Stars - Fall 2021 thread started 6 months ago and was recently bumped up, (not by me) as it is still relevant with current info about the show. I originally wasn't going to do a thread last season as the took a turn for the worst the previous season. Yet last season turned out to have some contenders and I even said on the thread, "there may be some good weeks to watch [together] & discuss." (I also OPed and was thread secretary the last 22(?) consecutive threads for each season of this show. We have a Monday night group in which we watch together, or some DISers just follow along without posting. :grouphug:)

Ironically and relevant, I had even put this in the OP, as I make it known that ALL opinions are safe, appreciated and respected on the thread. NO, I didn't edit the OP to add it in for this post here.

Near the beginning of the Ukraine war, when most of us were shell-shocked at the news and I found out that Top Gun: Maverick finally had an official, for real, no - for really real this time, final premiere date, I started this thread. The FIRST line of the OP is, "Thought we could use some fun stuff to chat about."

And when the premiere date did happen a couple weeks ago, I bumped the thread for those of us who waited 3 years for this movie and want to celebrate kicking off the summer by seeing something with splashy visual effects and is fun on the big screen. Most reviews on the DIS, so far, have been favorable. :thumbsup2

New Top Gun 2: Maverick trailer is released

I also posted a thread for Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy returns (finally) with Season 2 raving, for those who missed Season 1 that it's a not-to-be-missed love story about Italy, it's culture, it's history and most of all, it's regional foods. (I still have all episodes ready to binge watch when I get the time.)

Then there's my 13th(?) annual DIS Live Watch Party threads for the red carpet/awards show. Various DISers on other threads have voiced they don't like the award shows or find them relevant any longer. I don't have a problem with them having differing opinions. I don't expect everyone to codependently share my likes or opinions. I am always grateful that they said it on another thread (like people have done on this thread,) rather than being a party pooper on the actual thread.

YET, when Will Smith did the "slap seen around the world," I bet there wasn't a single DISer on the CB who didn't know which thread everyone would be talking about it on: The Official DIS Oscars LIVE Watch Party Thread! The Afterparty continues. . .

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway isn't even my thread, yet during the worst of the pandemic, when Broadway shows were shut down, I single-handedly kept the thread going. I actually live in NYC in the Times Square/theatre district ❤️ (and not as a coincidence.) So I often hear blurbs on the local news pertaining to Broadway & my area. At first, it started off with filmed performances performers posted online, to keep us going. Then as the Broadway re-start was delayed over and over and over again :sad1: it was a labor of love and homage to Broadway. To keep that thread going with a symbolic candle light 🕯️ holding the faith that the dark Broadway theatres would end someday, instead of allowing it to become another DIS extinct zombie thread. :sad::sad::sad:

Broadway finally re-opened and the thread is back to normal. :woohoo: Yet, I still post every once in a while if I hear something that may be of interest. 3 days ago, I posted how Lincoln Center will be having over 300+ FREE family friendly concerts, performances & events this summer:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...hings-broadway.2061008/page-273#post-64064060

I have more than proven with past/current/ongoing threads that I have more than enough "qualifications" to to state my preferences and opinions here.

Yet, I'll say this on behalf of others who maybe aren't as bold or are uncomfortable starting threads, that IF SOMEONE IS A MEMBER OF THE DIS, THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN PREFERENCES AND OPINIONS AND TO BE ABLE TO STATE THEM WITHOUT QUALIFICATIONS OR JUSTIFICATIONS IMPOSED BY ANOTHER MEMBER.

If (general) you don't like or are uncomfortable with another person's stated preferences, that's about YOU.

I have to wonder how many people just stop posting or reading a thread and say to themselves, "Why bother? . . What's the point?" when another member tells them what and when it's acceptable to post something? Then one day it went from not posting on threads to "Why bother coming to the DIS?" and they are gone.

Which is what this thread was originally ASKING? What happened to all the activity?

And maybe that's "part of the problem"?

. . . Unless that's the intent. Get rid of posters who don't think the same.
Exactly.
Make a suggestion to general “you” to “let’s start more threads” and you get bashed. Sure makes me feel like posting more.

I have no idea what this long rant has to do with my quote. And I actually don’t understand what you’re talking about.

I guess that’s what I get for defending those prolific posters of “fluff” threads to people complaining about them. That’s all I was talking about.
I think it’s mean that people keep belittling those who are trying.

And heavens to bits that I don’t like being referred to as an “angry Canadian “? Why didn’t anyone else call out that poster for that or for being rude about Slo’s daily polls?

Exactly.
Make a suggestion to general “you” to “let’s start more threads” and you get bashed. Sure makes me feel like posting more.

I have no idea what this long rant has to do with my quote. And I actually don’t understand what you’re talking about.

I guess that’s what I get for defending those prolific posters of “fluff” threads to people complaining about them. That’s all I was talking about.
I think it’s mean that people keep belittling those who are trying.

And heavens to bits that I don’t like being referred to as an “angry Canadian “? Why didn’t anyone else call out that poster for that or for being rude about Slo’s daily polls?
Slo's daily polls are great! Did someone refer to those?

Those I mentioned have nothing to do with Slo and I do agree that people should enjoy what they wish. I guess that there used to be more of a balance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter