Blood Donors, share your knowledge and experiences here.

Foxhound3857

Mischief Managed
Just five days ago I gave my first donation at a mobile drive for Lifestream, a not-for-profit Blood Bank formerly known as the Blood Center of San Bernadino and Riverside County. As a first-time donor, it was, as one might expect, an intimidating experience, and I had to brave a number of sights that I was not sure how my psyche would react to, such as the size of the needle, the sight of my blood leaving my body (and in such large quantities), and the weakness I was likely to experience afterwords.

But I really felt like helping my community and decided to give it a try, at least once.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the procedure and the experience was not anywhere near half as bad as I was expecting it be. I went in, they had me answer a screening questionairre, all easy but important questions, which only took a few minutes. Then they ran a few basic health tests on me, checking my pressure, my temperature and checking my iron levels to make sure I was safe to donate. This is done by pricking your finger and taking a drop of your blood, and then putting it in liquid to see what it does. If it sinks, it means your iron is good, if it floats it means your iron is low and it would be unsafe for you to donate.

I was cleared, and they got me in the chair. It took a few minutes to set up the equipment and go through the paperwork, labeling, etc. Then came the big moment. They marked what they thought was the optimal vein to use, swabbed and cleaned the needle site thoroughly, and then...

c9jXHLp

c9jXHLp.jpg

Yup. A very slight pinch and a second later the needle was in and I was giving, hardly felt a thing.

The procedure was somewhat lengthy at 31 minutes, as I was giving a Power Red donation, which meant that instead of giving whole blood which contained red cells, platelets and plasma, my blood was run through a machine that separated the red cells, and returned the platelets and plasma to me with a bit of saline. By doing this, I was able to give two units worth of red cells, which was what they needed most, without the woozy or weak feeling one would experience from a whole blood donation, according to them. The only side effect I remember was feeling slightly chilly after the first return cycle, and it was probably from the saline, but I like cold so it didn't bother me.

Anyway, I had to sit through several draw/return cycles, where the machine takes your blood, separates the red cells and banks them, and then returns the liquid portion of your blood, the platelets and plasma, through the same tube. It did this about four times, and then the machine beeped happily saying it was done. I had done it.

The phlebotomist attending me congratulated me, delicately removed the needle, bandaged me up (color of my choice, blue baby!), and I was excorted to the cantina area where I was given some healthy snacks, nuts, fruit juice, etc, and a free movie ticket to boot! Fifteen minutes later I was on my way home, feeling great about myself and what I just did.

Interestingly, I got the test results a few days ago on my donor portal, and I learned two things. One, I'm A+, second most common blood type, so while I'm compatable with a good chunk of the population for red cells, I've actually read that platelet donations are better for A+ donors, though I don't really understand why. The next time I go, if they ask me to give platelets instead of red cells, I'll be happy to do it, of course, but I hope they keep me on double reds just because the procedure is shorter and the wait between donations is longer, and they typically need more red cells than platelets or plasma anyway, so I hear.

The other thing I learned was that my cholesterol was an alarming 205, not dangerously high, but borderline, and enough to concern me. I'm less than four weeks away from turning thirty, and so I'm at a point where I have to start taking my health very seriously. I instituted immediate lifestyle changes the following day, including more water and way less soda (I've cut down from 5-6 a day to 2 a day, maximum), more cereal and oatmeal, with a hearty breakfast once a week, usually sunday, and altering my portion sizes. For dinner, I no longer eat chicken skin and I trim the fat off of whatever meat product I happen to be eating, less meat, more veggies. I'm hoping to see better numbers in four months when I go back for my second donation, so we'll see.

But yeah, it was an intimidating experience, as most things are for first-timers, but it wasn't bad at all. The needle is almost completely painless, I've had flu shots that hurt worse than that. Even the finger prick to check my iron stung more. The staff was incredibly kind, asking me every two minutes how I was doing, if I was okay, if I wanted a drink or a blanket or something, they were fantastic in every regard. I got some good snacks afterwords, a free movie ticket, and I felt great about myself and what I did afterwords, and I can't wait to go back.

To anyone who has ever thought about giving blood or is currently thinking about it but might be afraid for any reason, whether it be of needles, the sight of blood, being turned away or deferred, etc, do yourself a favor and give it a try. You have nothing to lose, and you'll feel incredible about yourself afterwords. And even if they turn you down, at least you tried.

Any other donors here? Feel free to share your experiences.

I'm glad you had an overall positive experience! Donating blood is a great way to help out. Also, major props for making some lifestyle changes so quickly!

I've only donated once and unfortunately am no longer eligible to donate. I'm hypoglycemic and had a reaction near the end of the donation. Between that and low iron levels despite supplementation, I've been told donating isn't a good idea for me. I wish I could though. The nurse I had was one of very few people who has been able to find my vein on the first try.

I use to donate every 6 weeks in high school and college. It was never a big deal at all. Unfortunately they changed the rules and anyone who lived in eastern europe in the 80's is banned from donating, so I can't give anymore.

When I donate like you do, it's called a "Double Red" donation here. Regardless, I always bring my tablet with me and watch a movie or read while donating. It makes the time go a little quicker.

Those who depend on the blood are grateful for your donation. Gave my 10th pint 40 days ago. Will give again July 5th.

Let this be inspiration to see a doctor to manage your own health. Sugar is a huge culprit in many diets. Might want to be aware if how much you are consuming. 2 sodas a day and cereal can still be a lot of sugar.

I started donating as a teen and never had problems. Maybe 10 (or even more) years ago it always became harder and harder for them to find a vein in me and to keep it going for the donation. Last time I went they basically told me that I can't donate anymore because of how my veins are. I also have to get blood drawn twice a year and it is such a project that I dread going. They have to use a little tiny needle on me and they poke around in my arm so much. Ugh

I used to donate as often as possible. I have O- blood type, universal donor. But, the Red Cross people weren't terribly careful, and my veins are now tough to use. So, I'm saving my blood for those I know. The last time I donated was for my step-mother who was having back surgery. When I went to donate, at the hospital, they were quite happy with my blood....seems it's perfect for donation due to the iron content. But, when they took my b/p, it was off the charts! They made me wait a bit, took it again. Same thing. They asked if I was nervous or worried about donating...no, it's not a big deal for me. They gave me several bottles of water to drink, had me just walk around the area to try to relax. Took it again an hour later, even worse. The tech told me that I had to go right to my primary care physician. That if I didn't promise to do that, he was admitting me right then. Yeah, it was that high. Now, I'm on meds for my b/p, so had no idea what the issue was. I went home, called my primary care dr, who was on her lunch break and called me right back, telling me to get in to her office now! She took my b/p again, and it was just as high. She was astounded, telling me that there was no good reason for it since it had been fine two months ago. So, she changed my meds, and told me to come in 3 days later to have it checked again. Well, when I back to her office, 3 days later, it was right back to where it should be. She said it was probably just that my body acclimated to the old meds and needed new ones. I went back to the hospital to give blood, the phlebotomist was shocked to see me, to say the least! He did the blood test again, it was fine, as usual. He did my b/p, and was shocked!!! But happy. Off I went to give two units of blood. So, now, my step-mom is related to me by blood!!!

I used to donate a lot back in my younger years. Never had a problems and loved the cookies afterwards!

Now, I'm a recipient of plasma donors thanks to a weekly infusion I have to take for my lungs. So thanks to all of you out there for donating your plasma!!! :love:

Thanks for the reminder - I've finally had a long enough break between tattoos and piercings to be eligible and should really go donate.
When you do I’d recommend you go downtown to the Canadian Blood Services facility rather than a mobile clinic. It’s a lovely atmosphere, the phlebotomists are amazing and they have Craves cupcakes for afterwards! :thumbsup2

I went to a mobile drive because it was the first location that popped up when I did a search for blood drives in my local area. Their actual main headquarters are only about 12 miles away from me, so I'll probably go there next time instead of a mobile drive.

When I donate like you do, it's called a "Double Red" donation here. Regardless, I always bring my tablet with me and watch a movie or read while donating. It makes the time go a little quicker.

They call it Double Reds here as well. I think Red Cross is the only one that refers to it as a Power Red donation. 30 minutes isn't bad at all, I had my phone for web browsing and my MP3 player.

I'm told Platelet donations take a lot longer, up to two hours in some cases, and I apparently have a blood type that's ideal for it.

My work had regular donation drives so I had started about 14 years ago. I went about every drive but got deferred half the time due to iron. Once my blood pressure was too low and got deferred for that.

All of my life my parents told me I was A+ as both of them were only to find out I was O+ so I wanted to keep donating when I could.

I was one that would get lightheaded at the very end. I knew I had to anticipate a coke fast at the end.

Most of all of the volunteers were great. One especially who gave the tip to start of laying down to help with the lightheadedness. I requested that after and only 1 volunteer tried to fight me on it, kept me up while getting setup to have it blown out when he moved me. One or 2 didn’t realize how much I seriously needed the coke at the end who were slow getting it for me even when I told them at the beginning I was prone to lightheadedness.

My last donation was about 2 years ago, I think. I had done everything needed to do and settled at the cantina fine with everything usual. After I was back at my desk an hour later I got extremely lightheaded again. While I would have wanted to continue donating I thought it was best I stop since that scared me. If I hadn’t been working later than usual I could have had that episode driving. IF I do donate again it’ll be when someone else can watch me after.

I have been I should donate.. but to keep it for myself (not like at my house or anything lol) because I have a weird antibody attached to my red blood cells.

Good for you for doing it though :)

I have been I should donate.. but to keep it for myself (not like at my house or anything lol) because I have a weird antibody attached to my red blood cells.

Good for you for doing it though :)

It may sound masochistic in a way, but I honestly can't wait to go back and do it again. I can't necessarily call it "fun," but the staff are so nice to you. They literally treat you like family. You can tell that most of them really love their job.

Yeah, I hate that fingerstick way more than the needle in the arm, even though the arm needle is like 10 times bigger.

Donating blood is especially healthy for men. It drains some iron stores from the body. The accumulation of too much iron in the body can cause several bad things, including heart disease. Women have their cycle, which helps control their iron storage.

I used to donate a lot, but I only have one good vein that they always used, and it has a lot of scar tissue now so is tough to hit. When I was in the hospital on IV meds it was difficult, especially when one of the medications caused painful burning sensations and they moved the IV every other day. So I have stopped donating. DH donates when he can, but he travels to the Caribbean a lot now that he is retired, and has been restricted from giving.

One story - I gave the week before my wedding, and there was some leaking under the skin so I had a massive bruise for my wedding. Luckily I wore a long sleeved dress in October.

I am O+, my DH is A+, and 2 of our kids came out with A- blood.

When I have my cholesterol done it is always fasting 10-12 hours before, I wonder if it makes a difference in the results?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter