Biting the bullet and switching to Direct TV. Cable is out of control price-wise

Wow, 200? Just for the cable? We get cable, internet, a home phone line, and a cell phone bundled for $150.
For us, cable was so much more reliable and cheaper than satellite.

Only crap that is CHEAP. Our cells are more than that. What service do you use? Also, due to work we have to have unlimited data; and I know that blows up the bill.

The PlayStation Vue has MOST of our local channels, but we use a digital antenna for the rest. And it does have DVR too. We only had Hulu and Netflix for the past few years because we couldn’t find a streaming service that had everything we wanted, but the Vue checks most boxes for us.

I just looked into this. I don't have any Playstation, so I hadn't looked at it before. But, like other services, it streams on many devices. :thumbsup2 Unlike a couple other services, it does have the 3 major networks, plus FOX.

SlingTV is missing ABC. :sad2: I could switch over to antenna TV. But, I'd like things to be as simple as possible. Working a bunch of different remotes or devices sounds like a pain. :headache:

I could switch over to antenna TV. But, I'd like things to be as simple as possible. Working a bunch of different remotes or devices sounds like a pain.
If you can get channels via antenna, there's a number of benefits:
  • The ability to receive subchannels which usually aren't carried via other means, so you have more choices
  • You're not relying on a 3rd party to deliver the channels, whether it be cable, satellite, or internet. Which means as long as you have power, you should be able to watch TV
  • The signal received over the air will generally (90%+) be a better quality signal than via cable, satellite, or internet.
  • It's free (after you pay for the antenna and installation).
As far as multiple devices/remotes, a universal remote (I like the Harmony's) and a smart TV and/or an AV receiver takes care of that.

We recently switched from cable to Directv because the price of cable kept climbing. So far at least, it has been a good decision. Directv is cheaper and the picture is noticeably better.

If you decide to go with DIRECTV I recommend that you get whatever hardware/receivers you want at the time you order since that's when they are willing to do deals to get you, after that it's two years that they have your under commitment and you lose leverage. I also recommend if you can get them to do it is install a HS17 Genie 2 which is their latest receiver which positions you for 4K if you want that and has 2TB of storage. Also make sure they connect it to your internet since DIRECTV uses it for their on demand and a number of other features. As for pricing, just make sure you see what the second year costs are going to be. And if you have AT&T Wireless you can bundle the services for more discounts and things like streaming of DIRECTV video on your cellphone without having it count against your data usage.

We cut the cable cord last year. Now just Netflix, Prime (which I won’t renew for next year, don’t watch it enough) and free streaming. HD antenna gets us 6 channels. Moving in a few months and in new place am expecting antenna will get us 10 to 15 channels.

We've been with DirecTV for 4 years now. We only went with them initially because when our house was done (new construction), Comcast hadn't dropped their cable lines yet. I can't say I have any complaints about DirecTV. I love the Sunday NFL Ticket thing, which is the main reason we stay with them. I need to call them to get new receivers and equipment. If they refuse, we'll simply cancel and call back as "new" customers.

I have had DirecTv for 16 of the last 18 years and am very happy with the service. I have lost the signal a few times in extremely heavy rain but not enough for it to be an issue. I had more outages the two years I had cable than I've had the 16 with DirecTv.

I have had DirecTv for 16 of the last 18 years and am very happy with the service. I have lost the signal a few times in extremely heavy rain but not enough for it to be an issue. I had more outages the two years I had cable than I've had the 16 with DirecTv.
I have DirecTV, and lose signal with pretty much every rainstorm that comes through.
I have also found that you get the best deal if you go with a company for the 2 year initial agreement which gives significant discounts, and then switch back to another provider after that, etc etc. They seem to always give much more consideration to new customers than to existing customers.

If they refuse, we'll simply cancel and call back as "new" customers.
Just know there's a chance you need to be "away" for 6 months - 1 year before you're considered a "new" customer.

I have DirecTV, and lose signal with pretty much every rainstorm that comes through.
Your dish might need a repoint. We have Dish network and have had outages, but nothing outrageous. Our internet (provided by the cable company) has been out more in the last year than Dish Network.

I have also found that you get the best deal if you go with a company for the 2 year initial agreement which gives significant discounts, and then switch back to another provider after that, etc etc. They seem to always give much more consideration to new customers than to existing customers.

Like @sam_gordon mentioned above have someone out to take a look at the installation. If you are on the edge of the usable signal or the dish has become loose over time you will have more issues. You also want to make sure you are mounted directly on something sturdy that doesn't move much in the wind.

Just know there's a chance you need to be "away" for 6 months - 1 year before you're considered a "new" customer.

Your dish might need a repoint. We have Dish network and have had outages, but nothing outrageous. Our internet (provided by the cable company) has been out more in the last year than Dish Network.

Perhaps. If that's how they choose to handle it, Comcast is just a phone call away. Not a big deal either way, just a "nice to have".

I feel like I don't understand what people are paying for. Ours is 80 something for internet, cable (expanded basic--pretty much everything but HBO, Showtime and the like) and TiVo. We don't have phone service through them. I'm glad I read this thread. I feel like I'm getting a better deal than I realized.

We cut the cable cord last year. Now just Netflix, Prime (which I won’t renew for next year, don’t watch it enough) and free streaming. HD antenna gets us 6 channels. Moving in a few months and in new place am expecting antenna will get us 10 to 15 channels.

We also cut the cord a couple years ago and have Netflix and Prime. Our antenna gets us about 20 channels. We had Vue for a while as it had all the channels we wanted/needed but we realized that we don’t watch enough live TV to even justify that. Now I activate Vue for a month for big events like the Olympics or World Cup. Saved us a lot of money!

I cut our package with DISH last January (after losing my job) and the bill went from $130 to about $80. IMO $80 is still way to high.

As far as multiple devices/remotes, a universal remote (I like the Harmony's) and a smart TV and/or an AV receiver takes care of that.

I do have a universal remote now. I have read good reviews on the Harmony remotes if I have to get a new one.

As for the Smart TV. I have one of the first Smart TVs. It was made one friggin year before all the new streaming apps were developed in 2013. So MY Smart TV doesn't work with most of them - maybe Google Chromecast, as it does have a USB port. I also have an HDMI port and have been streaming stuff to the TV from my tablet to watch on the large screen of my TV.

If I hook up an antenna for the 3 channels, (ABC, etc.,) would I just press the AUX button on the remote or simply change the channel to say, Ch 7, which is ABC here? (I know my cable box works through Ch 3.)

If I hook up an antenna for the 3 channels, (ABC, etc.,) would I just press the AUX button on the remote or simply change the channel to say, Ch 7, which is ABC here? (I know my cable box works through Ch 3.)
Not knowing your setup, the first thing I would do is see if there was another option to hookup your cable box to your TV. If you go to channel 3 to see it, that means it's tying up your antenna input AND you're seeing about the worst quality you can. HOPEFULLY there's another kind of connector(s) on the cable box. There will have to be something if you want to use an antenna.

IF you decide you want to try an antenna, go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com and put in your address. You'll get a report that gives you an idea of what kind of antenna you'll need and where to point it (you can post it or PM me if you'd like and I'll help you read it). Then you install the antenna, hook it up to the TV, and do a channel scan (going to be somewhere in the menu of your TV).

Once channels are found, depending on how your TV works, you'll either need to press the Input (or Source) button OR possibly just put in a channel number (channel 7 would probably be 7-1).

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

IF you decide you want to try an antenna, go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com and put in your address. You'll get a report that gives you an idea of what kind of antenna you'll need and where to point it

I went there the last time the DIS had a "cut the cord" thread, (then still kept cable.) I have a clear view to the Empire State Bldg, so I get about 43 channels. Most are the local, small channels, Spanish channels I don't need, and a couple PBS-TV stations I do want. :thumbsup2

Once channels are found, depending on how your TV works, you'll either need to press the Input (or Source) button OR possibly just put in a channel number (channel 7 would probably be 7-1).

Okay, I know where that is. :thumbsup2 I use that when I want to watch stuff from my tablet. It ides give a list of different sources.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks. :) Several years ago, some 20 year old walked me though my first real smartphone so I felt really comfortable with it. Of course life improved so much having it, that I swore I'd stay on top of things technology-wise as this is the era we are in. I never wanted to be one of those people who say technology is too hard to figure out and won't even try. (I'm not THAT old. :rolleyes: ) I have no problems upgrading & playing with cellphones now or PCs and figuring the ins & outs of them. :thumbsup2 Then I read the other DIS thread yesterday, where a poster was helping her brother setup a FB account & it was too difficult for him. And I realized I may be having that mentality with this TV stuff. And it's simpler than I'm making it. :headache: Thanks for being willing to help. :)

I have a clear view to the Empire State Bldg, so I get about 43 channels. Most are the local, small channels, Spanish channels I don't need, and a couple PBS-TV stations I do want. :thumbsup2
OMG. Then YES, absolutely see if there's another way to hook up your cable box. Even if you have to upgrade your cable box, IMO it's worth it.

And it's simpler than I'm making it. :headache: Thanks for being willing to help. :)
The good thing is once you get it set up, it should be pretty easy. It's really not hard, especially if you have a clear line of sight to the transmission towers (which it sounds like you do). Don't hesitate to reach out.

Maybe if Everyone really cut the chord from Cable, they would lower the cost.
But I have a feeling my Internet Provider is going to raise the roof on their monthly bill.
I have Spectrum and I have Cable and internet combined. 3 boxes, one recorder, one modem and my bill just increased to $180. 4 years ago we had a locked in rate for one year for $140. I saw that plan could be locked in for 3 years after ours expired, but Spectrum would not let me have the plan since I was not a new customer.

My dh wants to get , an antenna, the law was passed that HD channels have to be signaled out for free.
He feels we could pull in other channels over the internet on our Smart tv. The only problem we have is that we live pretty far out in he country and I have a feeling, we will have a weak signal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter