Biting the bullet and switching to Direct TV. Cable is out of control price-wise

Honestly. Pay TV is just that Pay TV. Doesn't matter if it is cable, DirecTV, Dish or any other provider. They are all going to be the same (or there about) cost wise. I am almost to the point that if I thought we could get decent reception on local channels OTA I would drop it completely. BUT last I check my area SUCKED for OTA reception/channels.

We dropped cable 8 months ago. At first, we used DirectTv Now, which is a streaming service, not dish. We now use Philo and I love it. Their packages are $16/month or $20/month. We have live tv and all the channels we like, especially now that they offer Hallmark. For local channels, we use an antenna that mounts on top of the tv and not on the wall (it looks like a small sound bar) on the tv in our study. We also have Netflix but we had that even when we had cable. Internet costs us $60 a month so we pay $87 per month for Philo, Netflix, and internet. Much better than the almost $200 per month we used to pay.

Last edited:
After a recent move, I decided not to get cable at the new house. I went with AT&T internet $50/mo; stayed w/Netflix $10/mo; and went with Directv Now (streaming) for $55/mo. I thought I would need an antenna for local stations, but in my area Directv Now offers all of my local stations. I also wanted Fox Sports Midwest (let's go Blues!) which I get with Directv Now. I also have Amazon Prime, so I get movies/shows through that.
I bought a TCL Roku tv, and couldn't be happier with the ease of use/interface.
I do not miss ANYTHING that cable offered, nor do I miss paying the $$ to Spectrum.

If you are looking to cut the cord, it is easier than you think. Decide which stations you really want and then compare streaming services. Not being locked into a 2 year contract is also wonderful.

It costs me more to just have my land line and internet. I don't have a cell phone so I have to keep the whole package.

We had been with Dish for probably 15 years when a few months ago I noticed my shows on my DVR would be missing one day and back several days later. Regularly. I called about the issue, and when I asked about getting new equipment because it wasn't working properly they wanted to put me in a 2 year contract. I told them it should be free, as I was paying the monthly insurance on it, and that's when they told me it was a software glitch and they working on it and the new equipment would have the same issue. So I asked for a discount and they said, "Sure! As soon as we figure out what the issue is we'll issue one."

I cancelled our account, now have Hulu, Prime and an antennae and am very happy.

Is antenna like slingTV? I am hopping on to the recent thread as I want to DROP my dish satellite. I hate, hate, hate all those useless channels and the bill is now $90 a month and that's nearly the basic. Please advise anyone! Thank you!

Is antenna like slingTV? I am hopping on to the recent thread as I want to DROP my dish satellite. I hate, hate, hate all those useless channels and the bill is now $90 a month and that's nearly the basic. Please advise anyone! Thank you!
Antenna is NOT slingTV. slingTV is internet delivered and has a monthly cost. Antenna (if you can get reception) is free after the cost of antenna, coax, splitters, and amplifiers (the last two aren't always needed).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts