Birthday that made you go, "YIKES!"

I was just thinking, I could also see people having a yikes birthday as they approach the age when one of their parents died.

This happened to me this past winter. My Mom died two days before Christmas the year she was 82. She lived the longest in our family. I turned 82 last October and made it through Christmas. So far so good. DH turns 85 in two months. I think it is bothering him a bit as it seems there are several things that have 85 as their cut off date.
Just grateful to wake up each morning and still enjoying life.

31. I expected 30 to bother me, but it didn't. I'd just finished grad school and was headed to Syracuse with my boyfriend so he could pursue his PhD. Lots of things to look forward to! Then... 31. I remember thinking "oh no, getting old is here to stay!" If only I could tell 31 year old me what I know now, or as I said the other day, "WHAT? I'm gonna be 70 in two years???"

30 bugged me, I felt all adult but since then ehhh.

Covid sort of shocked me into recognizing every day is a surprise so I'm mostly all "Go me, who cares," now - good or bad it just is.

DH likes to mess with our minds by playing, guess how old that movie is or guess how old that song is, I hate the damn game :crazy2::cool:can't I just coast through life ignoring stuff, got me this far.

30 bugged me, I felt all adult but since then ehhh.

Covid sort of shocked me into recognizing every day is a surprise so I'm mostly all "Go me, who cares," now - good or bad it just is.

DH likes to mess with our minds by playing, guess how old that movie is or guess how old that song is, I hate the damn game :crazy2::cool:can't I just coast through life ignoring stuff, got me this far.
🤣🤣
My husband plays the "Remember when this actor/actress was in this old movie?" Mine is pointing out sets used in different old movies. 😄

55. I don’t know why but it just seems that is when my body decided it was going to give me some level of pain every day and my hair all went silver. It’s also the age my nana was when she died and close to the age my mother was when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I’ve since decided to stop coloring my hair and wear my silver proudly. After all I’ve earned them and old age is a privilege denied to many.

55. I don’t know why but it just seems that is when my body decided it was going to give me some level of pain every day and my hair all went silver. It’s also the age my nana was when she died and close to the age my mother was when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I’ve since decided to stop coloring my hair and wear my silver proudly. After all I’ve earned them and old age is a privilege denied to many.
I too allowed my hair to go gray, actually pure white, in my case. Decided to start dyeing it again several months ago. Have gone through the cycle a few times since my late 30s. Just like allowing it to grow and then chopping it off.
You're right about the privilege.

I'm OK when I hit milestone birthdays, but I feel old when my "baby" brother hits them. :laughing:

Similarly, my oldest sister turned 70 in 2022, 6 months after our mom died. Our baby brother turned 60 in October & our youngest sister (62) retired at the same time. It was startling to realize we were now officially the oldest generation in our family. And we’re aging quickly. :sad1:

I never had a certain number birthday that affected me. It’s more thinking of an event in the past and calculating just how many years ago that happened.

When I was in high school, I remember the mother of a neighbor hitting 100, then 101, etc, so that might have helped insulate me from birthday number shock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter