Biking from the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness to sight see

SL6827

DIS Veteran
During this trip, I am planning on us going over to Fort Wilderness and checking the resort and camp ground out, not because I want to, but for my husband. Personally, if I never laid eyes on the joint, I would be just fine, but you do compromise at times for others. We are leaving on a Friday night and staying over one night on I-75 and will arrive at Disney on Saturday, March 30th around say noon. We will be staying at POR that night.

So I am thinking about heading over to the Wilderness Lodge and renting four bikes and bike around Fort Wilderness for the afternoon. Spending time checking the place out, looking at other people's campers, just spending time doing something very different that we have never done while at Disney, primarily for him. So has anyone else around here done this? Would it be a better idea to just rent the bikes from Fort Wilderness instead of starting at the Wilderness Lodge? Any advice or tips anyone can share? Are the kids required to wear helmets? Price, how much will this run me you think?

I am pretty set on wanting to do it on our arrival day since I just want to go ahead "and get it over with" and not have to dread doing it later on. Thanks for any input, I really will need some advice on this.

During this trip, I am planning on us going over to Fort Wilderness and checking the resort and camp ground out, not because I want to, but for my husband. Personally, if I never laid eyes on the joint, I would be just fine, but you do compromise at times for others.

I am pretty set on wanting to do it on our arrival day since I just want to go ahead "and get it over with" and not have to dread doing it later on. Thanks for any input, I really will need some advice on this.

I know exactly what you mean-it's a sacrifice. I dread it too. Who wants to be in the lovely outdoors in a peaceful environment with all those nice camper folks? Better to listen to the kids jumping on the beds on the floor above you at 2am in a resort room I guess...... :rolleyes:

There are bikes to rent at the Bike Barn at Fort Wilderness as well as Wilderness Lodge I'm sure. Last time I did a Disney bike rental it was $18 for the day (may have gone up since then). Of course there is a beautiful wide, paved walking/bike/exercise trail along the bus road between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge to enjoy if you start at the Lodge (the path is 1 mile long and flat).

Of course, for the cost of 4 people on bike (~$72+) you could rent a golf cart from Disney at the Fort (front entrance off Vista Blvd) for $63+tax which are fun. You would probably not be able to get hubs off it. Cart rentals are in 1 day increments (not hourly) and generally correspond with check-in and check-out times for pickup and drop off but if you get there early and want to get your cart, they will give you one early if they have it. I've gotten one as early as 615am.

Visit the horses in the Tri Circle D Ranch horse barn (the ones that work on Main Street) and stay for the Chip & Dale campfire singalong nightly with a movie (next to the Bike Barn). The Meadow Trading Post is pretty nice. Grab a bite to eat for dinner at the Fort. About the only thing non-FW guests can't do is use the pool.

Then he'll be happy, you will have finished your obligation, and Fort Wilderness will be but a memory in your rear view mirror. It will be "over with".

Bama Ed

PS - the kids won't enjoy it either, nope, not at all. :sad2:

Last edited:
I'd go the golf cart route. Trails' End buffet is one of the best at Disney, and there's a bar "window" where you can grab an adult beverage or something cold!

What time of year are you going?

I'd go the golf cart route. Trails' End buffet is one of the best at Disney, and there's a bar "window" where you can grab an adult beverage or something cold!

What time of year are you going?
The OP says they arrive March 30.
Denise

I know exactly what you mean-it's a sacrifice. I dread it too. Who wants to be in the lovely outdoors in a peaceful environment with all those nice camper folks? Better to listen to the kids jumping on the beds on the floor above you at 2am in a resort room I guess...... :rolleyes:

There are bikes to rent at the Bike Barn at Fort Wilderness as well as Wilderness Lodge I'm sure. Last time I did a Disney bike rental it was $18 for the day (may have gone up since then). Of course there is a beautiful wide, paved walking/bike/exercise trail along the bus road between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge to enjoy if you start at the Lodge (the path is 1 mile long and flat).

Of course, for the cost of 4 people on bike (~$72+) you could rent a golf cart from Disney at the Fort (front entrance off Vista Blvd) for $63+tax which are fun. You would probably not be able to get hubs off it. Cart rentals are in 1 day increments (not hourly) and generally correspond with check-in and check-out times for pickup and drop off but if you get there early and want to get your cart, they will give you one early if they have it. I've gotten one as early as 615am.

Visit the horses in the Tri Circle D Ranch horse barn (the ones that work on Main Street) and stay for the Chip & Dale campfire singalong nightly with a movie (next to the Bike Barn). The Meadow Trading Post is pretty nice. Grab a bite to eat for dinner at the Fort. About the only thing non-FW guests can't do is use the pool.

Then he'll be happy, you will have finished your obligation, and Fort Wilderness will be but a memory in your rear view mirror. It will be "over with".

Bama Ed

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Bama Ed

The reason I don't look forward to it is the fact that in the summer, almost every single weekend he lives on our lake lot in Alabama, every weekend, in our camper. It is his summer life style every single weekend, and I am down there about every other weekend. It gets old. I don't enjoy it at all, and when at Disney I really don't need a taste of that at all. But I am willing to compromise because that is what we do. What we have done for nearly 25 years. Now if I could spend every single summer weekend in Florida, I could only dream. LoL.

The reason I don't look forward to it is the fact that in the summer, almost every single weekend he lives on our lake lot in Alabama, every weekend, in our camper. It is his summer life style every single weekend, and I am down there about every other weekend. It gets old. I don't enjoy it at all, and when at Disney I really don't need a taste of that at all. But I am willing to compromise because that is what we do. What we have done for nearly 25 years. Now if I could spend every single summer weekend in Florida, I could only dream. LoL.

haha! You couldn't pay me to camp. Even at Disney. :p

My sister on the other hand loves it! (i think she's adopted as neither of my parents ever camped)

haha! You couldn't pay me to camp. Even at Disney. :p

My sister on the other hand loves it! (i think she's adopted as neither of my parents ever camped)
Right. The other poster had no idea of just how much camping is involved in my life now and how much I detest it, but there was no way he could have known. My husband has the boats, the boat launch from our lot and everything. I hate it. But I love him.

Right. The other poster had no idea of just how much camping is involved in my life now and how much I detest it, but there was no way he could have known. My husband has the boats, the boat launch from our lot and everything. I hate it. But I love him.

Every trip the guy in my avatar needs to go to Wilderness Lodge. Even if we aren't eating there. He just likes the lobby. I don't really need to visit it EVERY TRIP, but he likes it, so we do. :)

We booked our next trip today and he reminded me to schedule a day to go to Wilderness Lodge. :rotfl:

Every trip the guy in my avatar needs to go to Wilderness Lodge. Even if we aren't eating there. He just likes the lobby. I don't really need to visit it EVERY TRIP, but he likes it, so we do. :)

We booked our next trip today and he reminded me to schedule a day to go to Wilderness Lodge. :rotfl:
Now, I love the Wilderness Lodge too. Stayed there once, loved it as I have most of the Disney resorts we have experienced.

Geez Louise, I don't think the original poster meant anything mean or insulting to anyone!
Especially after her next posts explained where she was coming from.

Tough room!
:rotfl:

Geez Louise, I don't think the original poster meant anything mean or insulting to anyone! Especially after her next posts explained where she was coming from.

Tough room!
:rotfl:

Maybe not but that's simply the way it came across though. That's the way it was written.

Camping at Disney is not exactly roughing it. It's a relaxed way of doing a vacation while sleeping in your own "home". My camper is the guest room at my home, so to speak.

I'm sorry the OP had other concerns that came out in post #1. I hope I provided enough information to answer the base question.

Bama Ed

PS - my camper is my cabin in the woods, my condo at the beach, and my DVC at Disney. It's a lifestyle choice that's not for everyone. I travel enough on business and foreign vacations that I look forward to a familiar space on the road every chance I can get.

Last edited:
We stayed at Wilderness Lodge and rented the bikes from there and rode over to Fort Wilderness. It was a very nice ride from the WL over and back. We rode around the campsites but it didn't take that long. We went to the stables and that was probably the longest time. Being Passholders from NY and enjoy going to the parks, I have to say it was very relaxing and I am glad we did it. It will be a fun afternoon.

The Fort is a Campground but it's not just for campers. For me it's a connection to the Disney I grew up with.

For the bike rental it's probably not too much of a difference where you rent. We just walk around the Fort (and visit every single time we stay at VWL or BLT and often when staying other places). You also could plan on starting with a visit and walking around - stop at the Meadows and hang out at the Settlement. And see if you want to rent the bikes or if you're enjoying the walking. I'd probably put the $$$'s towards a horseback ride but that's just me. :) I recommend lunch at Trail's End too and of course a visit with the draft horses.

The Fort is a Campground but it's not just for campers. For me it's a connection to the Disney I grew up with.

For the bike rental it's probably not too much of a difference where you rent. We just walk around the Fort (and visit every single time we stay at VWL or BLT and often when staying other places). You also could plan on starting with a visit and walking around - stop at the Meadows and hang out at the Settlement. And see if you want to rent the bikes or if you're enjoying the walking. I'd probably put the $$$'s towards a horseback ride but that's just me. :) I recommend lunch at Trail's End too and of course a visit with the draft horses.
I would have to pass on the horse rides because we have that on our "farm" already. Might really consider the golf cart rental though.

I would have to pass on the horse rides because we have that on our "farm" already. Might really consider the golf cart rental though.

We own horses too but I've never ridden at the Fort. Just something fun and different to do at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter