Biggest Loser alumni holiday chat! (All are welcome!)

Hi Everyone!

Finally getting to check in here. I don't know where the days have went lately. I've been really busy at work and we spent Saturday and Sunday at my grandparents' helping them with things.

Not much is new. I need to have "some" blood work. I need a peanut/tree nut allergy panel plus a latex allergy panel per the allergist. The PCP (finally ;)) is sending me for glucose tolerance testing to determine if I have post-pradnial hypoglycemia. He is also checking to see how much insulin is in my blood. I had my blood glucose tested at the same time as my most recent routine thyroid test and non-fasting it was 61. He says it is fairly easy to treat, though he doesn't want to do anything until I have the test. The problem is that I have to take at least 4 hours off of work to have the test. I was going to have it the day after Thanksgiving, but I had some TOM problems and needed extra birth control, so I couldn't have the test. I am hoping to have it done on Wednesday or Thursday.

Hope everyone is doing well! Great to hear from everyone!

Thanks!!
I really whooped it up this year!!! We went all out and........wait for it.......... stacked firewood! LOL I got 2 cords of wood for my birthday. Yeehaw!!

Almost as good as the new crockpot I was going to get for Christmas. I had one go on me Thanksgiving. I did need a new one. That one was 22 years old. Dh got me a new one this weekend. He didn't get me the one where the lid clamps on. He didn't think I would use that feature. I then reminded him that I bring food to his parents house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't know what he was thinking.

This weekend I get to rip out paneling and cabinets at my sister's house that was in the flood a month ago.

Have happy and healthy day.

Hi, everyone!

After feeling like a rock-star maintainer for so long, it's been a bummer the past month to be above goal. I'm 9 pounds above my lowest and 5-6 pounds from where I'd like to maintain again. I don't know what happened - I've been exercising a little more and I don't think I'm eating much differently. I have a feeling that the cold weather is making me walk less at lunch time and eat little bits more here and there. I would chalk it up to muscle (all that added yoga and cross training!), except I can see and feel a difference in my body and clothes fit, in addition to the scale. On my short, relatively muscular frame, it's amazing how noticeable 5 pounds of fat is!
This is my problem. Though I have been slacking a little on the yoga and weight lifting since the race, so it's probably not muscle. ;) I think those long distances encourage your body to hold onto weight. Or at least I hope that's what it is! I really don't want to track my food again, but I might have to. In the big scheme of things I look perfectly fine, but I feel a little yucky with those extra pounds. Plus I don't want to add anymore. Thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

Hi everyone,

after the fall challenge was somehow succesful for me (I did lose several pounds even if it was less than my original goal), I am at the moment in the danger of losing my momentum. I said on the old thread that I woudl try to be more chatty on the holiday thread and I think I really need it to keep me motivated! I am just a bit over what would be considered a normal weight (my BMI is currently 25.7) and I so much want to be officially not overweight - and then lose some additional pounds as well. While the Christmas season is not the best time to lose weight, I think it is still the perfect time to watch your eating - otherwise things could be really ugly in January. And I am going on my first Disney cruise in the spring and I really want to look good for the cruise pictures! :goodvibes

So, I hope that I will around more! Thanks for everyone posting here - I find all of you a great source of motivation, even if I sometimes just read along!

Hi, everyone!

After feeling like a rock-star maintainer for so long, it's been a bummer the past month to be above goal. I'm 9 pounds above my lowest and 5-6 pounds from where I'd like to maintain again. I don't know what happened - I've been exercising a little more and I don't think I'm eating much differently. I have a feeling that the cold weather is making me walk less at lunch time and eat little bits more here and there. I would chalk it up to muscle (all that added yoga and cross training!), except I can see and feel a difference in my body and clothes fit, in addition to the scale. On my short, relatively muscular frame, it's amazing how noticeable 5 pounds of fat is!

Hi Nicole! :wave2: I have no doubt that you will soon be back at your rock-star maintainer status. :rockband: It is hard this time of year with the short days -- your body still gets ready for winter whether you want it to or not. ;)

Hi Pamela! :wave2:

It is so nice to see all the familiar faces chatting! I've been recovering from a hamstring injury (still am, truth be told), and I ate like I was still training when I wasn't :scared:

Anyway, ready to get focused because I'm running my 10th half marathon at WDW marathon weekend in January! I sure would like to do it a few lbs lighter ::yes::

Maria :upsidedow

Hi Maria! :wave2: So nice to see you! :flower3: And I can't wait to see you in January for your 10th half marathon -- woo hoo!

Thanks!!
I really whooped it up this year!!! We went all out and........wait for it.......... stacked firewood! LOL I got 2 cords of wood for my birthday. Yeehaw!!

LOL Buffy on the practical gift. I hope that you got something nice just for yourself, too. :flower3: Happy belated birthday!

Hi Everyone!

Finally getting to check in here. I don't know where the days have went lately. I've been really busy at work and we spent Saturday and Sunday at my grandparents' helping them with things.

Not much is new. I need to have "some" blood work. I need a peanut/tree nut allergy panel plus a latex allergy panel per the allergist. The PCP (finally ;)) is sending me for glucose tolerance testing to determine if I have post-pradnial hypoglycemia. He is also checking to see how much insulin is in my blood. I had my blood glucose tested at the same time as my most recent routine thyroid test and non-fasting it was 61. He says it is fairly easy to treat, though he doesn't want to do anything until I have the test. The problem is that I have to take at least 4 hours off of work to have the test. I was going to have it the day after Thanksgiving, but I had some TOM problems and needed extra birth control, so I couldn't have the test. I am hoping to have it done on Wednesday or Thursday.

Great to hear from you, too, CC! :wave2: It's so nice of you to help out your grandparents. ::yes::

Almost as good as the new crockpot I was going to get for Christmas. I had one go on me Thanksgiving. I did need a new one. That one was 22 years old. Dh got me a new one this weekend. He didn't get me the one where the lid clamps on. He didn't think I would use that feature. I then reminded him that I bring food to his parents house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't know what he was thinking.

This weekend I get to rip out paneling and cabinets at my sister's house that was in the flood a month ago.

Hi Dona! :wave2: Nice to see you! Lucky you, sounds like you might get two crockpots for Christmas. ;) I hope that you get something nice for you, too, you are always helping and looking out for others.

This is my problem. Though I have been slacking a little on the yoga and weight lifting since the race, so it's probably not muscle. ;) I think those long distances encourage your body to hold onto weight. Or at least I hope that's what it is! I really don't want to track my food again, but I might have to. In the big scheme of things I look perfectly fine, but I feel a little yucky with those extra pounds. Plus I don't want to add anymore. Thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

I know that you can get back to your rock star maintainer range, too, Rose. :rockband:

Hi everyone,

after the fall challenge was somehow succesful for me (I did lose several pounds even if it was less than my original goal), I am at the moment in the danger of losing my momentum. I said on the old thread that I woudl try to be more chatty on the holiday thread and I think I really need it to keep me motivated! I am just a bit over what would be considered a normal weight (my BMI is currently 25.7) and I so much want to be officially not overweight - and then lose some additional pounds as well. While the Christmas season is not the best time to lose weight, I think it is still the perfect time to watch your eating - otherwise things could be really ugly in January. And I am going on my first Disney cruise in the spring and I really want to look good for the cruise pictures! :goodvibes

So, I hope that I will around more! Thanks for everyone posting here - I find all of you a great source of motivation, even if I sometimes just read along!

Nice to see you, too, Flossbolna! :wave2:

This is one of my favorite things about the holiday BL thread is that we get to see so many familiar faces! :goodvibes

Just in time for the beginning of December I found this handy calendar 30 days and 30 days to stay on track in my email -- from sparkpeople.com, of course. :santa:

http://assets3.sparkpeople.com/myspark/30Days_30Ways.pdf

There is nothing new or earth shattering in their suggestions but it is a good reminder to help you refocus on those healthy habits that you need to maintain or lose whatever the case may be.

Have a great day all!

Running through and waving :wave2: and leaving you with this thought from my friends at sparkpeople.com

68034_10152265817200478_425590114_n.jpg

How nice! It looks fridge worthy!

Hi, everyone!

I can totally understand about the 5 pounds. I would never have imagined a few years ago that I could see/feel 5 pounds so much! Maybe your best plan for now would be a maintain (maybe a small loss) through the holidays and then hit it hard in the New Year?? Just a thought.

Hi Pamela! :wave2:

I've missed you!!! So glad you are here to chat!!:wave2:

It is so nice to see all the familiar faces chatting! I've been recovering from a hamstring injury (still am, truth be told), and I ate like I was still training when I wasn't :scared:

Anyway, ready to get focused because I'm running my 10th half marathon at WDW marathon weekend in January! I sure would like to do it a few lbs lighter ::yes::

Maria :upsidedow

What a GREAT motivator to stay OP during the holidays! I'm sure you will do great at your 10th half marathon!!! WOW!!

Thanks!!

Did it come wrapped in a pretty little blue box with a bow??:lmao: I asked for snow tires for Christmas from my parents. When did we get so practical??

Hi Everyone!

Hope the tests go well and they can help give more definitive diagnoses. Glad to have you here with us!!

He is a MAN... he WASN'T thinking! Maybe you could exchange it? Personally, I own and use 4 crockpots, so maybe this is a good excuse to buy another one.

So nice of you to help your sister so much. Maybe it you can think of it as a really PRODUCTIVE WORK-OUT, it won't seem so bad.

I hear you! Nobody else seems to notice an extra 5 pounds on me, but to me it might as well be 25 because of how I feel. Maybe it is all psychological, but I figure if that mental feeling helps me stay within my maintenance range, all the better.

I'm sure you will be able to shed those pounds quickly.... maybe a few now and a few after the holidays.

Hi everyone,

I cannot think of a better motivator (other than your own wedding) to lose weight than a Disney cruise! Lots of sun and surf means lots of swimsuit wearing... and of course, lots of pictures! Keep visiting here with us and hopefully you can "stay the course" during the holidays!

Hi Maria! :wave2: So nice to see you! :flower3: And I can't wait to see you in January for your 10th half marathon -- woo hoo!

Wish I could be there as your cheering section!

This is one of my favorite things about the holiday BL thread is that we get to see so many familiar faces! :goodvibes

Just in time for the beginning of December I found this handy calendar 30 days and 30 days to stay on track in my email -- from sparkpeople.com, of course. :santa:

http://assets3.sparkpeople.com/myspark/30Days_30Ways.pdf

There is nothing new or earth shattering in their suggestions but it is a good reminder to help you refocus on those healthy habits that you need to maintain or lose whatever the case may be.

Have a great day all!

Thanks for sharing that. I can't look at it now, but I'll check it out tonight when I have a minute.

Happy Sunny Tuesday everyone! I thought I was free and clear for the day, but my cell phone rang at 7:50 am after I dropped the kids at school (and doubled back because DD left Jane Eyre in the car :rolleyes:) and they needed me at school. I hate to pass up the $$, so I dashed home to shower, dress, and eat breakfast. So here I am teaching 4th grade math:scared1: :laughing:

For those of you struggling to get back to maintenance range, have you considered dropping your carbs significantly? Rose, I know as a vegetarian that would be really hard for you. But I find if I am SUPER strict with my carbs for just a few weeks, I can drop those pounds and get back into "happy-number-on-the-scale" range. I do find that the food gets boring after a while.... especially since I'm not a big meat eater and get tired of the nuts, nut butters, and cheese quickly. But if I am care about EVERY CARB, including fruit, it is amazingly effective. And I can add the carbs back in once I'm back to maintenance numbers without too much trouble to the scale.

I made my "quinoa and black beans" recipe (available on the BL recipe thread) again yesterday, but I am trying it with italian herbs instead of the mexican spices this time. I'll let you know after lunch how it came out. I made it last night, but didn't taste it (I know... I'm a terrible cook... how can I make it without tasting it??). It smelled delicious anyhow!

Last night's burger dinner ended up being leftover dinner, as DH wasn't making it home for dinner. So the burgers got moved to tonight. Nice easy meal for a night when I have to dash out by 5pm at the latest.

I hit the thrift store last night after I dropped off DD and spent nearly 2 hours in the racks! :eek: I got DD two pairs of her favorite Old Navy jeans for $4.99 each, got myself jeans (yeah, Gap for $2.99) and a denim skirt for $3.99, and got a few long-sleeved shirts for DS, including a cashmere blend argyle sweater for the holidays for $3.99! I got them all in the wash when I got home, threw them in the dryer this morning and I am wearing the skirt right now... and it looks SUPER CUTE if I may say so myself! I don't wear skirts very often, but I am LOVING my look today! Denim skirt, black tights, black clogs, a grey shirt with blue stripes, a blue quilted vest, black watch and a black scarf. I'm not very fashionable most of the time, but I feel pretty good today!

I found some great quotes in the weight-loss book that I am slowly working my way through and wanted to share them today, but I left the book in the car. So that will be something for you all to look forward to tonight or tomorrow! ;)

I've got to get the kids from music in 11 minutes, so I will dash for now!......P

Pamela, I had to laugh when you said you were working today. I purposefully marked myself unavailable today just because I didn't feel like working! If I get a personal call from a school then I'll say yes, but didn't want the district calling me and asking me to go to tim buk too!

I should do tons of work around the house since I'm playing hooky, but just not feeling motivated. Of course, it is only 9 AM so plenty of time! I walked my 3 miles in the dark then since I hadn't gotten a phone call to work was able to find my 7 AM walking partners midway through that walk so got another 1.5 miles in. I overslept yesterday so was glad to be up and moving this morning!

DS2 isn't feeling well; he has a sore throat. I think he really wanted to stay home today, but the first basketball game of the season is Friday (although there's no school!). If he misses any class for any reason between now and the game he won't start. I asked him if he even knew he was starting because he's on JV team now and I figured there'd be some older boys. He informed me in a very disdainful voice that it was just the same team as freshman last year so of course he'd be starting. :sad2: silly me

All right, the peppy music on d-cot has gotten me motivated. Laundry and house work here I come!

Hi Everyone!

If the test comes back as positive for hypoglycemia, do I win a prize?!?!? LOL

I hope you get answers soon!

I got one of the crock pots with the locking lid so I can cook while driving down the road in the RV. Love it!!! Did you exchange it?

Did it come wrapped in a pretty little blue box with a bow??:lmao: I asked for snow tires for Christmas from my parents. When did we get so practical??

apparently when we got old????? I don't know!

Mom did get me a really cool vintage camera, but yeah practical all the way for me for my birthday and Xmas. I asked for new Sorel snow boots for Xmas. And for DH to help me declutter the house.

Pamela, I had to laugh when you said you were working today. I purposefully marked myself unavailable today just because I didn't feel like working! If I get a personal call from a school then I'll say yes, but didn't want the district calling me and asking me to go to tim buk too!

I should do tons of work around the house since I'm playing hooky, but just not feeling motivated. Of course, it is only 9 AM so plenty of time! I walked my 3 miles in the dark then since I hadn't gotten a phone call to work was able to find my 7 AM walking partners midway through that walk so got another 1.5 miles in. I overslept yesterday so was glad to be up and moving this morning!

DS2 isn't feeling well; he has a sore throat. I think he really wanted to stay home today, but the first basketball game of the season is Friday (although there's no school!). If he misses any class for any reason between now and the game he won't start. I asked him if he even knew he was starting because he's on JV team now and I figured there'd be some older boys. He informed me in a very disdainful voice that it was just the same team as freshman last year so of course he'd be starting. :sad2: silly me

All right, the peppy music on d-cot has gotten me motivated. Laundry and house work here I come!

We have a really informal system for sub work days. She asks and we say yea or nay. That's it. We will get aome days booked in advance and we can always say no in advance or on the day. But often it is a call at 5:30 am. And I only work for two schools in our district so no worries about heading to Timbuktu....I already live here!

Hope your DS feels better!

If the test comes back as positive for hypoglycemia, do I win a prize?!?!? LOL

I hope you get answers soon!

I got one of the crock pots with the locking lid so I can cook while driving down the road in the RV. Love it!!! Did you exchange it?

apparently when we got old????? I don't know!

Mom did get me a really cool vintage camera, but yeah practical all the way for me for my birthday and Xmas. I asked for new Sorel snow boots for Xmas. And for DH to help me declutter the house.

The camera sounds neat. Does it actually work,or is it just a decorative piece?

Evening friends! I ran a few errands and now I'm waiting for DD at the Y. Got Glen Muir organic canned tomatoes for 49cents a can, so I'm tickled. And discovered a "Tuesday Morning" store near here. Never been to one, but excited about the scrapping papers I found!

I'm scheduled to work tomorrow and Friday, so don't be shocked if I'm not around much...it will depend on my computer access during the school day.

Hoping to have enough energy to watch Survivor tonight, but since we won't be home until nearly 10pm and I've been up since 4am, that may not be the case.

TTYL..................P

Happy Thursday morning everyone! I hope everyone is ready for a great day!

I am teaching 3rd grade today. Fingers crossed that the day goes quickly. Thankfully I have lunch duty instead of recess duty, so no worries about getting too cold! And I have a parent's meeting for HS swim tonight, so no driving 2 hours for swim practice!:cool1: Dinner is in the crockpot, so the evening should be relatively relaxing!

Unofficial QOTD: So we all know how important breakfast is... we hear/read it over and over. But many of us STILL don't eat breakfast (or at least the RIGHT kind of breakfast). If you had to give a friend 5 healthy (and relatively quick) breakfast options to help him/her stay OP, what would you suggest?? Do you include protein and carbs and fats? Do you suggest totally "traditional" breakfast food items or untraditional things as well? (I had a friend whose DD hated breakfast foods so she would eat chicken noodle soup for breakfast... to each his own I suppose!)

Bonus unofficial QOTD: How aware are you personally of your environmental impact/carbon footprint? Do you do things to reduce your impact?

For those of you who weigh in tomorrow, have a great day full of water and reduced sodium food choices!

I'll pop on again when the kids are at Music!............P

QOTD just for fun: What is your favorite holiday decorating color scheme? Do you go traditional red and green, sparkly silver, or some totally non-traditional?

I've always like blue at Christmas time. Last year I went with a blue and silver snowflake design for my place settings for Christmas Eve dinner. But most of the time my tree stays pretty traditional with all of our usual ornaments. One year I bought some GREAT wrapping stuff at Target that was blues and turquoise and some hot pink! That was so neat! But of course, it didn't go with any of my other stuff!

This year I was going to do a traditional red and green table, but I found a great bunch of silver snowflake napkin rings at the thrift store (new in the package from Pier One!) and so I might return to last year's silver and blue theme. Or perhaps a silver and gold table? Still thinking on it.

Unofficial QOTD: So we all know how important breakfast is... we hear/read it over and over. But many of us STILL don't eat breakfast (or at least the RIGHT kind of breakfast). If you had to give a friend 5 healthy (and relatively quick) breakfast options to help him/her stay OP, what would you suggest?? Do you include protein and carbs and fats? Do you suggest totally "traditional" breakfast food items or untraditional things as well?

Five quick and healthy breakfasts:

Crockpot steel cut oats, side of fruit.

Greek yogurt with berries (and maybe granola too).

Whole wheat english muffin (or low carb bread) with natural nut butter.

Make-ahead egg white burrito or sandwich (from the freezer to the microwave in no time flat!).

Smoothie (could include fruit, yogurt, silken tofu, milk [soy, almond, dairy], juice, protein powder, nut butter, flax seed, etc).

Bonus unofficial QOTD: How aware are you personally of your environmental impact/carbon footprint? Do you do things to reduce your impact?

I am becoming more and more aware of it. But I am still a slacker sometimes. I ran errands last night and had left my reuseable sacks at home. I HATE bringing home plastic bags, but there was no avoiding it last night. We keep our heat low and use a clothesline whenever possible (lots of financial incentive to those things). We recycle everything that is allowed in our town (which isn't much, sadly). I reuse containers whenever I can before throwing them out/recycling them. I use lots of cloth in the kitchen instead of paper (dish towels, cloth napkins). We rarely use paper plates or plastic utensils or paper/plastic cups.

I try hard to NOT buy things that are grossly overpackaged (Lunchables come to mind first). I buy used quite often to help keep packaging out of the landfills and to help my budget. I have a Soda Stream to eliminate plastic soda bottles, we ALL use refillable water bottles every day. (I usually buy less than a case of bottled water per year.... and those would be to have on hand for emergencies like power outages.) We also use refillable coffee cups every day and make our own coffee at home most of the time.

I try to buy in GLASS instead of plastic whenever possible.... second choice after glass is steel. I use Glasslock containers at home instead of Tupperware or Rubbermaid whenever possible (trying to transition to all glass instead of plastic, but it is hard!). That is more a HEALTH issue than an environmental issue, but I figure it helps.

I do all of my laundry in cold water, hang on the line whenever the weather allows. I use my dishwasher on the shortest cycle possible without heat dry. I also try to wash some dishes by hand when time allows.

I compost whenever I can, but have to be careful during the fall and spring because of bears.

That is all I can think of for now..............P

Linda, hope you enjoyed your day off. Productivity can be overrated some days KWIM? ;) Hope your DS is feeling better soon. I had to chuckle when I read your post -- isn't it amazing how much smarter we used to be in some people's opinions? :rotfl2:

Your camera sounds cool and help with decluttering is priceless! :love:

Unofficial QOTD: So we all know how important breakfast is... we hear/read it over and over. But many of us STILL don't eat breakfast (or at least the RIGHT kind of breakfast). If you had to give a friend 5 healthy (and relatively quick) breakfast options to help him/her stay OP, what would you suggest?? Do you include protein and carbs and fats? Do you suggest totally "traditional" breakfast food items or untraditional things as well? (I had a friend whose DD hated breakfast foods so she would eat chicken noodle soup for breakfast... to each his own I suppose!)

For those of you who weigh in tomorrow, have a great day full of water and reduced sodium food choices!

I'll pop on again when the kids are at Music!............P

Enjoy your day with the third graders, Pamela! :teach:

I don't think I remembered to answer about Christmas decorating. We use deep reds, greens and gold. Our house decor is fall colors so it goes well with that. I love silver and blue, too. I remember your beautiful table from last year. We used to switch over to silver and blue decorations with snowflakes for New Year's and January -- that was when we had more energy. :lmao: I think silver and gold sounds pretty, too, but i think I would want some other color in there to warm things up. :santa:

Breakfast is one of those things I always intend to do better on but don't seem to do. I do like protein with my breakfast to avoid that 10 a.m. I'm starving feeling. I'll be looking for people's good suggestions here. I think that will be one of my things to do for 2013. :cool2:

Carbon footprint, hmmm. I think ours is pretty small compared to a lot of folks but I'm sure it could be better. We don't drive very much, have clean hydro-energy thanks to living in the Pacific NW, and do a ton of recycling, including at our office. Our trash can is usually only about half full but the recycling bin is always full to the brim. The only thing that we can't do is recycle glass -- they just don't take it. I will confess that I don't use the bring your own bags since finding out how much nasty stuff they can harbor. :scared: But I do recycle them and use them all the time so it works out karmically I think. :hippie:

Even though Thanksgiving was a week ago I will leave you with this thought from one of my favorite WISHers on FB today (she is my age and did 30 half marathons, in 30 states, in 301 days last year :worship:)

319687_435374389849100_1798708218_n.jpg

Have a great day all!

I don't think I remembered to answer about Christmas decorating. We use deep reds, greens and gold. Our house decor is fall colors so it goes well with that. I love silver and blue, too. I remember your beautiful table from last year. We used to switch over to silver and blue decorations with snowflakes for New Year's and January -- that was when we had more energy. :lmao: I think silver and gold sounds pretty, too, but i think I would want some other color in there to warm things up. :santa:

I agree that all of this decorating takes energy... and time. I put out a few things for Halloween/Fall, leave some out and add a fabric turkey for November, then put it all away as I take out the Christmas decorations. Usually I stick to just the doors, the tree, and the dining room table. With no company (other than my parents for Christmas eve/day), I just don't see the point in lots of decorating. Plus we live in the woods.... no one but the UPS man and the USPS man ever drive to our house! WHy bother?? When the Christmas decor is cleaned up, I usually leave an antique sled and a pair of skates on the front porch for "winter" decor. That's about it for us for the year, although I do change up the front door wreath/decoration a few times a year.

Breakfast is one of those things I always intend to do better on but don't seem to do. I do like protein with my breakfast to avoid that 10 a.m. I'm starving feeling. I'll be looking for people's good suggestions here. I think that will be one of my things to do for 2013. :cool2:

Maybe if you planned your breakfast in advance and had it ready it would help? Maybe if it was something REALLY appealing like a nice oatmeal raisin muffin and a hot cup of tea?? I find hot breakfast SO MUCH MORE appealing than cold... even in the summer. We almost NEVER eat cold cereal. It is a waaay too expensive for what you get (refined white flour, white sugar, and preservatives mostly).

Carbon footprint, hmmm. I think ours is pretty small compared to a lot of folks but I'm sure it could be better. We don't drive very much, have clean hydro-energy thanks to living in the Pacific NW, and do a ton of recycling, including at our office. Our trash can is usually only about half full but the recycling bin is always full to the brim. The only thing that we can't do is recycle glass -- they just don't take it. I will confess that I don't use the bring your own bags since finding out how much nasty stuff they can harbor. :scared: But I do recycle them and use them all the time so it works out karmically I think. :hippie:

I did wash my reuseable sacks last week, which is why they didn't end up back in the car.:rolleyes:

Even though Thanksgiving was a week ago I will leave you with this thought from one of my favorite WISHers on FB today (she is my age and did 30 half marathons, in 30 states, in 301 days last year :worship:)

319687_435374389849100_1798708218_n.jpg

Have a great day all!

Another thing for the fridge! Thanks Lisa! I hope you have a wonderful day out there in the NW corner!............P

Thanks for the welcomes!

I guess teh best way to keep up with my good intentions of posting more is to get involved with the unofficial qotd!

And I must admit that I am not the best person to ask about healthy breakfasts. My only healthy option would be muesli with fruit and kefir (some type of dairy drink).

Could anyone explain me what steel cut oats are? That sounds interesting to me, but I just have no idea what this is, maybe it would be a new option for me!! I don't think we have anything like this here in Germany!

To the bonus qotd: I don't own a car, so I walk to work (also adds regular exercise to my day), bike a lot or take public transportation (which is pretty accessible here in Germany).

I also try to buy fruit and vegetables locally and only when in season (with some exeptions like tomatoes, or some exotic fruits like pineapple and banana).

I try to take care to switch off my electric appliances when not in use (instead of having them on standby) and when I buy new ones, I make sure to get something which needs less electricity. I don't have a drier (since I live alone there isn't that much laundry).

We do have lots of recycling opportunities here and I collect seperatley paper, plastic, aluminium, glas, plastic, metal (e.g. from canned vegetables etc.) and compost. I mostly buy reusable bottles for drinks.

Last winter I made sure that I don't heat too much (even though I love warm rooms) and instead got some nice comfortable fleece sweaters to wear at home when I am cold.

I try to always have a reusable bag with me for any shopping I might do to avoid plastic bags.

But then - I am also doing really horrible things like taking a transatlantic flight to Florida. One year I actually did off-set that with a donation to an organization that would invest in carbon-reducing projects and am thinking of doing this again for my flight next year...

And now I realize that I missed the fun Christmas question!!

I don't have a color scheme, I like my tree to be as colorful as possible. And those goes for all my other decorations as well. :rainbow:

Thanks for the welcomes!

I guess teh best way to keep up with my good intentions of posting more is to get involved with the unofficial qotd!

And I must admit that I am not the best person to ask about healthy breakfasts. My only healthy option would be muesli with fruit and kefir (some type of dairy drink).

That sounds yummy. I was buying kefir for DS for breakfast for a while, but we seem to have broken that habit. Plus it is hard to find around here.

Could anyone explain me what steel cut oats are? That sounds interesting to me, but I just have no idea what this is, maybe it would be a new option for me!! I don't think we have anything like this here in Germany!

They are just a type of oatmeal that is cut a particular way (rather than your traditional rolled oats or quick oats). They look a bit more like a tiny "chunk" than a "flake". They take longer to cook and have a totally different texture than rolled or quick oats. They are also called "Irish Oats" in some places. I make them overnight in a crockpot/slow cooker. They turn our really creamy and delicious. Plus they absorb lots of liquid so you get a LOT of volume to eat!

To the bonus qotd: I don't own a car, so I walk to work (also adds regular exercise to my day), bike a lot or take public transportation (which is pretty accessible here in Germany).

I also try to buy fruit and vegetables locally and only when in season (with some exeptions like tomatoes, or some exotic fruits like pineapple and banana).

I try to take care to switch off my electric appliances when not in use (instead of having them on standby) and when I buy new ones, I make sure to get something which needs less electricity. I don't have a drier (since I live alone there isn't that much laundry).

We do have lots of recycling opportunities here and I collect seperatley paper, plastic, aluminium, glas, plastic, metal (e.g. from canned vegetables etc.) and compost. I mostly buy reusable bottles for drinks.

Last winter I made sure that I don't heat too much (even though I love warm rooms) and instead got some nice comfortable fleece sweaters to wear at home when I am cold.

I try to always have a reusable bag with me for any shopping I might do to avoid plastic bags.

But then - I am also doing really horrible things like taking a transatlantic flight to Florida. One year I actually did off-set that with a donation to an organization that would invest in carbon-reducing projects and am thinking of doing this again for my flight next year...

Sounds like you are making lots of good choices to help our world! I am with you on buying things in season, but it is TOUGH. I am really spoiled and want raspberries in December! It is hard to decide if I am going to buy things based on the budget (so not organic and only local and in season), health (organic, low carb, lots of antioxidants, no matter the season, etc), or the environment (organic, VERY local, in season).

From what I've read/heard, they are much more proactive about things like not using plastic bags in Europe.

And now I realize that I missed the fun Christmas question!!

I don't have a color scheme, I like my tree to be as colorful as possible. And those goes for all my other decorations as well. :rainbow:

My tree is very colorful as well. I like it that way!

Kids are off to recess! Math is over!! After recess and lunch I will finish reading groups and do a Social Studies activity and then I am done! DS has an ortho appointment at 3:40, so I will have some time to kill in the car after I pick the kids up at 3:05, since the ortho is right here in town. :woohoo: Maybe we'll hit the library for a few minutes.

Fingers crossed that tonight's beef stew is cooking along well. I had floured and browned the beef before freezing it, so it should be a great stew. I stuck with traditional beef stew this time (last time I made fajita beef stew)... carrots, onions (lots!) and a few potatoes for the kids. I will also probably make a green vegetable to go with this... and maybe defrost a wheat roll for each of the kids (bought a package on sale after T.giving and stashed it in the freezer for a treat).

The shoes I wore to school today are literally FALLING APART! How did I NOT notice this when I got dressed? They are a pair of Clarks that my Mom handed down to me a few years ago because she was having foot troubles and couldn't wear them. They weren't worn much and I have probably only worn them 3-4 times, tops. The leather tops are totally ripping away from the bottoms. I'll be lucky if I still have shoes on my feet by 3pm! The uppers still look new! I'm wondering if I should contact them about it. But I'm sure that they aren't repairable, as the rubber soles are tearing where they are seamed to the leather tops. And I had to trash the Dansko clogs I wore yesterday as well. I KNEW they were old and worn, but I loved them. But I tossed them out last night when I took them off.... they were just too far gone to save any more. And now I have an excuse to buy TWO new pairs of shoes, right??!!:rotfl:

Need to warm my lunch before I join my class in the cafeteria! TTYL........P

Arrrghhh I just have the munchies! Think I will get a stick of gum and chew the heck out of it.

Worked this morning and am seriously considering just curling up with a book for the rest of the afternoon. I have 3.5 hours until I have to get DS2 from basketball practice.

Waiting for the vet to call. Our dog had a mole growing on his eyelid and it was really bugging him. So this morning after our walk we went straight to the vet where they were going to knock him out and remove it. Poor baby. We were drenched when we got to the vet because it just poured on our walk. That's just fine because yesterday it was supposed to and didn't. I had time after laundry and some housework to mow the front and back lawns! :cool1: They looked so nice and green without any leaves on them. Too bad DH got home after dark (as usual) and left for work in the dark (as usual). I wanted a pat on the back for leaf free lawns. The wind is blowing so today they are orange, yellow, and red with a touch of green grass showing!

Think I hear the couch and a book calling my name!

Sounds like you are making lots of good choices to help our world! I am with you on buying things in season, but it is TOUGH. I am really spoiled and want raspberries in December! It is hard to decide if I am going to buy things based on the budget (so not organic and only local and in season), health (organic, low carb, lots of antioxidants, no matter the season, etc), or the environment (organic, VERY local, in season).

From what I've read/heard, they are much more proactive about things like not using plastic bags in Europe.

I do understand what you wman about having difficulties to decide on what to buy under different aspects - for me it is always the balance between convenience and environment. And I am not totally good about buying things in season - I hate most winter vegetables, so I do buy lettuce and tomatos in order to have some things that I like. And I also buy frozen produce now and then - especially raspberries.

Germany is really very much into recycling. I volunteer for an exchange organization and any kid from abroad coming to a German family will have to learn about what to do with their waste in a totally new way as we seperate it all...

Sorry about your shoes that were falling appart! I think it must be that the plastic got old. I know that you aren't supposed to use old running shoes as the plastic sole loses its elasticity.

I intended to step on the scale this morning after I avoided it for a few weeks now, but then forgot. But I really need to see where I stand at the moment.

Am very much looking forward to the weekend which here in Germany marks the start of the Christmas season as it is the first weekend of advent. Tonight I will go and see the opening of the Christmas market.

Oh - and the talk about breakfasts yesterday inspired me to buy a new product yesterday: Some kind of organic instant oatmeal with chocolate and banana. Had it this morning and it was delicious and quite ok calory-wise. Unfortunately it seems that steel cut oats are not available here, I have only ever seen rolled oats. But they sound delicious. I have become a huge oat fan over the last months, it is a wonderful grain!

Good morning. :)

My purposeful decision to do a little stress eating yesterday has bit me in the butt. ;) Small bag of chips, 1/2 a coke and a couple of ghirardelli chocolate squares. Not great, but I ran for 60 min yesterday and walked another mile. I did good yesterday with my eating other than that. And honestly we have been waiting all week for some big news and the stress is just doing me in a bit.

The problem? I have never had trouble with the ghirardelli brand chocolate squares before, but I always get the dark chocolate. They make some crisps that are not gluten free. They are milk chocolate. I am guessing the line did not get cleaned well after they made the crisps and when I had my milk chocolate caramel square yesterday, guess what? Oh well. Hopefully it won't last long. I am enjoying mugs of hot water this morning which usually helps with the stomach ache.

I hope everyone has a good Friday. I don't think I will have a loss this week, but I am going to keep plugging away. Planning to make it to the gym today and I need a new pair of jeans if the tummy feels better.:goodvibes

Arrrghhh I just have the munchies! Think I will get a stick of gum and chew the heck out of it.

Worked this morning and am seriously considering just curling up with a book for the rest of the afternoon. I have 3.5 hours until I have to get DS2 from basketball practice.

Waiting for the vet to call. Our dog had a mole growing on his eyelid and it was really bugging him. So this morning after our walk we went straight to the vet where they were going to knock him out and remove it. Poor baby. We were drenched when we got to the vet because it just poured on our walk. That's just fine because yesterday it was supposed to and didn't. I had time after laundry and some housework to mow the front and back lawns! :cool1: They looked so nice and green without any leaves on them. Too bad DH got home after dark (as usual) and left for work in the dark (as usual). I wanted a pat on the back for leaf free lawns. The wind is blowing so today they are orange, yellow, and red with a touch of green grass showing!

Think I hear the couch and a book calling my name!

Glad you were able to get the dog looked at quickly. I'm sure he appreciates it!

Sorry you didn't get the props you wanted for your lawn work! I'm sure it looks great!

I do understand what you wman about having difficulties to decide on what to buy under different aspects - for me it is always the balance between convenience and environment. And I am not totally good about buying things in season - I hate most winter vegetables, so I do buy lettuce and tomatos in order to have some things that I like. And I also buy frozen produce now and then - especially raspberries.

I try to do a balance.... organics where I feel it is necessary (like the "dirty dozen"), local whenever possible (we have a farmer's market here, even in winter), and conventional for other things (like when I am craving blueberries in February!).

Germany is really very much into recycling. I volunteer for an exchange organization and any kid from abroad coming to a German family will have to learn about what to do with their waste in a totally new way as we seperate it all...

We were doing really well separating nearly everything. We would burn if we could, but our town doesn't allow burn barrels. All yard waste goes into the woods behind the house... plus Christmas trees! We compost what we can, toss some things into the woods and in the yard for the wild creatures (deer, turkey, birds, porcupines), and separate/recycle whatever our town allows. But they stopped taking nearly all plastics because they "couldn't get enough money for it." WELL.... it shouldn't be all about the money! I am SICK when I see a stack of those plastic clamshell boxes from my organic lettuce and other produce. I stack them next to the trash barrel because they take up so much space. And our town no longer recycles them! I wish I could get a transfer station permit for another town and take them there! I've looked around, but other than the farmer's market, I can't seem to find organic greens in anything other than those plastic clamshells.

Americans could learn a LOT from you folks, I'm sure!

Sorry about your shoes that were falling appart! I think it must be that the plastic got old. I know that you aren't supposed to use old running shoes as the plastic sole loses its elasticity.

They went straight to the trash as soon as I got home. No great loss, asI didn't really love them (hence only wore them a few times in the past few years), but it was just a frustration.

I intended to step on the scale this morning after I avoided it for a few weeks now, but then forgot. But I really need to see where I stand at the moment.

Am very much looking forward to the weekend which here in Germany marks the start of the Christmas season as it is the first weekend of advent. Tonight I will go and see the opening of the Christmas market.

Oh - and the talk about breakfasts yesterday inspired me to buy a new product yesterday: Some kind of organic instant oatmeal with chocolate and banana. Had it this morning and it was delicious and quite ok calory-wise. Unfortunately it seems that steel cut oats are not available here, I have only ever seen rolled oats. But they sound delicious. I have become a huge oat fan over the last months, it is a wonderful grain!

Glad you found a new breakfast alternative!

Good morning. :)

My purposeful decision to do a little stress eating yesterday has bit me in the butt. ;) Small bag of chips, 1/2 a coke and a couple of ghirardelli chocolate squares. Not great, but I ran for 60 min yesterday and walked another mile. I did good yesterday with my eating other than that. And honestly we have been waiting all week for some big news and the stress is just doing me in a bit.

The problem? I have never had trouble with the ghirardelli brand chocolate squares before, but I always get the dark chocolate. They make some crisps that are not gluten free. They are milk chocolate. I am guessing the line did not get cleaned well after they made the crisps and when I had my milk chocolate caramel square yesterday, guess what? Oh well. Hopefully it won't last long. I am enjoying mugs of hot water this morning which usually helps with the stomach ache.

I hope everyone has a good Friday. I don't think I will have a loss this week, but I am going to keep plugging away. Planning to make it to the gym today and I need a new pair of jeans if the tummy feels better.:goodvibes

Sorry you got glutened! I imagine that makes you trust that company less in the future? You should send them an email about it. Hope you are feeling much better today! Good luck shopping for jeans. I hate trying on pants. The lower rise gives me significant muffin top (due to lots of loose skin), higher rise look like "mom" jeans.... and I have a flat-ish butt, so nothing looks good in the back. I do pretty well overall with Levis and Gap.

Morning friends! Kids will be here in 9 minutes! I'm doing 1st grade this morning and 3rd this afternoon. Then off to the Y for DD's afternoon HS swim practice. They got a change in their schedule and don't have to do early morning practice on Fridays any more!!!:cool1: The only problem with that is that she was supposed to be swimming in a meet with her club team tonight, so she has to scratch from that. But we will be at the meet tomorrow.

The morning was crazy, but I managed to grab a yogurt and Vitamuffin as I was dashing out the door... thank heavens! I was hungry when I woke up today. Would have liked a nice egg white wrap, but not enough time. oh well.

I did weigh-in today. When I looked back it seems like I never wrote down my pre-T.giving weight from the Wed. before the holiday. And I am up just a bit from the Friday before that, so overall it seems to be okay. Still within my maintenance range.

Last night's beef stew in the crockpot was absolutely delicious! It was nearly 2 pounds of stew beef, a pound of baby carrots, 4 large onions, and 4 small potatoes and we nearly finished the entire thing! There is no meat left, just veggies and broth. I will finish it up over the weekend.

FINALLY heard back from my soon-to-be-new-employer! I can't believe it has been over a month since my interview and I've had to contact them TWICE about getting ready for my training. I didn't have time to respond to the email this morning, but it seems like I will be finally meeting with someone this weekend or early next week to get my paperwork finalized and start scheduling my training! I am excited to work for this company, but this kind of "dropping-the-ball" makes me wonder!

I can hear kiddos in the hall, so I had better sign off! I may have a few minutes at early lunchtime to pop on again and say hello! ..............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter