• Controversial Topics Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Best Western Stovall's

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So we've finally decided on our dates. We were trying to decide between early December and mid-November and there's a work problem for the December dates so mid-November it is!

Now we're trying to figure out the hotel. I'm torn between something right across Harbor (which seem to be about $220 a night on up) and something a little further but cheaper. If we were there for a few days I would definitely do right across harbor, but we're there for a week--we are looking at 5 day tickets, a day for USH and no parks on arrival or departure days--so and extra $80 a day really adds up.

I was looking at Best Western Stovall's. It's a lot cheaper than the others on our date and seems to get pretty good review, but is a bit longer of a walk. It looks like it's about 15-20 minutes, which in most contexts I wouldn't bat an eye at but I really wrapped my mind around the idea of being 5 minutes from the parks.

Anyone have any experience with the Best Western Stovall's? I know I have a long time to make up my mind but would like to book something just to put my mind at rest...

I love it. It might be 20 minutes walking in but closer to half that walking home if you cut thru the grand. They also have an ART shuttle stop out front if you would rather. Fabulous free breakfast too.

So we've finally decided on our dates. We were trying to decide between early December and mid-November and there's a work problem for the December dates so mid-November it is!

Now we're trying to figure out the hotel. I'm torn between something right across Harbor (which seem to be about $220 a night on up) and something a little further but cheaper. If we were there for a few days I would definitely do right across harbor, but we're there for a week--we are looking at 5 day tickets, a day for USH and no parks on arrival or departure days--so and extra $80 a day really adds up.

I was looking at Best Western Stovall's. It's a lot cheaper than the others on our date and seems to get pretty good review, but is a bit longer of a walk. It looks like it's about 15-20 minutes, which in most contexts I wouldn't bat an eye at but I really wrapped my mind around the idea of being 5 minutes from the parks.

Anyone have any experience with the Best Western Stovall's? I know I have a long time to make up my mind but would like to book something just to put my mind at rest...

We are currently staying at Kings Inn on Katella. Cheap, breakfast included and we’ve had no complaints. It’s nothubg fancy but it’s perfect for our needs. And a ten min max walk

Truth be told, I would prefer to stay on that side of the park because I would rather walk in on the DT Disney side. We have stayed at the Hilton and walked to DL via DL Drive. I just can't stand the thought of Harbor side lines!

We stayed at Stovall's Inn a few years ago and at Stovall's pavillions last year. Both were good. They were comfortable, clean and quiet. The walk was definitely longer but not nearly as crowded. Getting through security on that side was easier.

I've stayed at Stovalls three times and we're staying again next month. We really like it. It's clean, cheaper than other hotels and isn't too far away. Downtown Disney isn't too far of a walk. We usually buy ART passes and ride the shuttles to and from the park. If you go this route, just know that the last shuttle picks guests up 30 mins (an hour?) after close.

We stayed at BW Stovall's once about 3 years ago. We really enjoyed staying there. The free hot breakfast every morning helped tremendously. You have to pay for parking, but at the time it was $11/day, so definitely less expensive than paying in a Disneyland parking lot. The room was incredibly clean. Having 2 pools there was really nice. My kids loved the pools there. The walk was a bit long, but for what we saved on lodging vs staying somewhere along Harbor Blvd, it was a no brainer. I would have no problems staying there again.

I believe the parking is $10/day. It's definitely a bargain compared to $25/day at Disneyland. For our trip next month, we also purchased 3 5-day ART passes, which were $23/person for the whole week. We're still saving money not parking at Disneyland, plus we can save ourselves the aggravation and ordeal of the parking garage. For me, sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more, or in this case, perhaps go through a little more work, if it means saving me stress.

I've stayed at Stovall's several times. It's not super high quality, but neither are most of the hotels on Harbor that are directly across the street. It's about a 15-20 minute walk vs. 5-10, but it's mostly a nice walk through Disney property, so it feels really safe and clean. The hotel itself is close to Coco's, which isn't exactly high quality, but it's a decent place to get some food for less than you'll spend on a similar meal on Disney property. The rooms are a little small and dark, but generally quiet. Beds are on the firmer side, but tolerable. If you have adults in your party, get the queen beds. The double/full beds are fine with kids though. The free breakfast is a basic motel free breakfast, but it was good enough for me. As long as you know what to expect from a Best Western, you won't be disappointed.

If you were considering right across Harbor-- like, right at the crosswalk-- Desert Inn has something like $123 for mid November, $113 if you have a AAA card or AARP. We've stayed there several times. It's adequate and reasonably clean, if not fancy. We don't use the pool, and the continental breakfast is pretty lame, but we really just stay there because you can literally be at the security tents in 5 minutes. We're going in September and got the family suite for $223 a night. That's just two rooms, each with two queen beds, with a connecting door. Security on the Harbor side is okay if you get there early, before opening.

We just checked out today. It’s nothing fancy,but everything was clean. We walked in the morning and took a lyft back each night to save our feet. It was about $6 for the lyft ride. I’d stay again!

Agree with the comments about Stovall's. We've stayed there twice (and are again in September) and really like it for all the positives mentioned (proximity, cost, free breakfast, nice pool area). The walk can feel long sometimes, but it is quite pleasant and TOTALLY AGREE entering through DTD security is so much quicker than Harbor side which is sometimes a nightmare! The other benefits are you can hop on the monorail for Disneyland (it does not stop in CA). As long as the park is open or you have access for EMH, you scan your ticket right there before getting on the monorail and you are in the park. We did that several times when heading back to the park after our mid-day break and generally at night when leaving unless we were in CA.

Other positives you're in close proximity to Disney hotels if you'd like to dine there or just look around. And you always have the option of hopping on ART if you wish/need. We've encountered nothing, but very nice staff at Stovall's, we've checked in HOURS before actual check in time before which is not always easy at hotels (some just don't seem to allow it or charge for it) and I am sure it is not always available, but we've had good luck. We've stored our luggage after check out with no issues and very importantly our rooms have always been very clean. Really can't say enough good things about them based on our experiences.

On another note, we also found we could enter CA later in the afternoon/early evening by walking in with guests through the gate at the Grand (the way people used to very easily do before the big security changes). It was super easy access into CA right near Grizzly River Rapids. This would not work in the am when they are monitoring that area. (I did it knowing someone could very easily send me back to enter through DTD, but no one said a word). But you can always leave the parks by entering the Grand from DTD (near Sephora) or if you're in CA near Grizzly River Rapids enter the Grand and head back to Stovalls. Easy and a a time/feet saver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter