Best way to get from SNA airport to the Grand?

SeiterClan

DIS Veteran
Hubby & I are arriving tomorrow morning around 8:45am to the John Wayne airport & wondered the best/quickest way to get to the Grand at that time of day as well as what time you think we will make it to the parks after dropping off bags & checking in?

Taxi will be much faster than a Lyft. There's always a line of them right outside across from baggage claim. Ask what their flat rate is to the GCH and you'll get it. Waiting for a Lyft to show up to curbside pick up is *painful* at most airports nowadays. Not to mention the $$$ now tends to be much higher.

As to how long: really depends upon traffic. Can be 20'ish minutes or 45.

Taxi will be much faster than a Lyft. There's always a line of them right outside across from baggage claim. Ask what their flat rate is to the GCH and you'll get it. Waiting for a Lyft to show up to curbside pick up is *painful* at most airports nowadays. Not to mention the $$$ now tends to be much higher.

As to how long: really depends upon traffic. Can be 20'ish minutes or 45.
This super helpful! Thank you:)

Better, cheaper, faster...pick two.

"Easiest" is to just hop in a taxi of they are on standby on the curb. Typically $45 ish plus tip.

Uber/Lyft pickup is now in the parking garage and can be a bit of a hike...plus my last few Ubers needed up being like 15-20 min to get a car cuz many drivers cancel once they realize pickup is at the airport because of the mess...plus Uber surge pricing was like $75! Typically should be $35 ish. Then tried Lyft and it was still $55

Used to be a die hard Uber fan but no longer due to lack of availability and more frequent surge pricing. We just hop in a cab now if available.

From SNA there's really no reason to avoid the taxi's that are right outside baggage claim. Price is very reasonable. At best you'd save $5-10 dollars on the trip if you took Uber/lyft.

Yeah, used to be $30 for rideshare that picked up curbside vs $45 for taxi now they are almost the same price and IMO not with the extra hassle of hiking to the garage and waiting for a driver to accept and get there if there are taxis available.

We usually take an Uber or Lyft. The price can be anywhere between $30 and $50 depending on surge pricing. If you land at 8:45, I predict you will arrive at the Grand Cal between 9:45 and 10:15. Depending on line to drop off your bags, you should be able to make it to the parks by 10:45 at the latest. Have a great trip.

I would definitely say cab it, if you want the quickest way to get there. They are ready and waiting as soon as you walk out of the doors. We took a cab the last time we flew down, and he got us there SUPER fast! I’m sure several laws were broken, but we were there within about 15 minutes, haha… just make sure of the pricing before you leave, and make sure it’s a flat rate trip, just in case there happens to be traffic and it takes a bit longer to get there… ours ended up being about 45 bucks with tip…

Hubby & I are arriving tomorrow morning around 8:45am to the John Wayne airport & wondered the best/quickest way to get to the Grand at that time of day as well as what time you think we will make it to the parks after dropping off bags & checking in?

With that arrival time, you should make it to the Grand by somewhere between 9:30 and 10. Take a cab, as recommend by others. You can be in the parks by 10:30 at the latest, depending on whether your room is ready right away or you are just dropping bags at bell services and heading directly to the parks. Last couple times we have stayed at the Grand, our room has been ready in the morning when we arrived.

We used Uber and Lyft for our last trip in November from SNA to GCH. Both rates were $30 (including tip).

I would check the rideshare apps and look at both of their rates. If the price is right, then use uber/lyft. If not, take a taxi.

It wasn't that difficult to get to rideshare pick up area at SNA. And we didn't wait long at all.

I took Lyft for $25 at 10am on a Monday. I booked the ride as I was leaving baggage claim and waited about 3 minutes once I got to the pick up area. I took it from SNA to HoJo.

I keep seeing folks talk about waiting 15 minutes and getting charged around $30 or more, but just to share my experience last weekend, we waited maybe 5 minutes and paid around $23 for Uber on our last trip. I have always had much better experiences with Uber/Lyft than taxis

I keep seeing folks talk about waiting 15 minutes and getting charged around $30 or more, but just to share my experience last weekend, we waited maybe 5 minutes and paid around $23 for Uber on our last trip. I have always had much better experiences with Uber/Lyft than taxis

Surge pricing goes into effect depending on how many available drivers are in the area at any given time. It can vary quite a lot from day to day and at different times.

I was going to go with lyft, but it seemed like such a bother as to where I had to go to meet the driver, I switched to a taxi only last trip, and didn't regret it.

I'm usually traveling solo, but sometimes I will be with another person and I let them decide. For myself, I'm fine with rideshare. It's not hard, but it's more steps than taking a taxi. I guess it's a decision about how much that extra bit of walking is worth. Sometimes, I'd rather save myself the $7-10 and walk to the ride-share area. Other times, especially when I'm sharing the ride with a friend/family member, we go with a taxi. Back when there was non-stop surge pricing and the uber/lyft rides were hard to come by, I felt it was better to take a taxi, but now I just play it by ear.

There's also a new ride method for me. My daughter is going to college in Irvine and lives 5 minutes from the airport, so lately she has been my taxi :)

Agreed with majority, just take a taxi. We were really impressed the last few times we've utilized them. Then when you want to plan the return trip, just schedule it and they will be waiting at your hotel for you. Excellent and fast service. We always used to do Uber then we switched to a car service when Uber became too unpredictable. The car service was good the first couple of times (we always got executive SUVs for more room), but then the drivers would start being late for pickup by 45+ minutes. The icing on the cake was when I was yelled at by a driver for my flight delay, even though I called and notified them several times about the delay to make them aware so the company and driver could plan accordingly. We did not feel safe after that and I cancelled then and there and walked over to the taxis to take us to our hotel.

I feel safer knowing that the taxis are run by the city (or maybe county?) so they vet the drivers and carry high insurance.

There's also a new ride method for me. My daughter is going to college in Irvine and lives 5 minutes from the airport, so lately she has been my taxi :)

That's always the best kind of taxi!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter