Best time to visit Tokyo?

A day trip to Kyoto is going to be a long day. We did an overnight and I felt rushed. If I ever go again I want to do at least two nights in the Kyoto area.

Hi,

I was wondering did you do a tour? were you on your own? with or without kids? We really only want to change hotels once, for us we feel it eats into your time table...

Our friends that took the private tour ( all adults) , had certain highlight that they wanted to see, The Fushimi Inari Gates, Bamboo Forest, Kiyomizu Temple, and the Samurai and Ninja Museum...

I went back and found her email... they brought food on the train for breakfast and took the earliest train out, and almost the last train back... it was a very long day... yet totally worth she said.. said that they had a lunch meal at a tea house, and dinner in a casual restaurant.. they bought tons of snacks for the train ride home.. her email said that they got lucky and got to see the Geisha moving around in the evening, they had to pay for a couple of pictures with them.. and got some shopping in..

It will be just my DH and I so this would be the perfect fit for us....another thought might be a private car tour... I hate to think what that would cost, with the price of fuel... Yikes

Hi,

I was wondering did you do a tour? were you on your own? with or without kids? We really only want to change hotels once, for us we feel it eats into your time table...

Our friends that took the private tour ( all adults) , had certain highlight that they wanted to see, The Fushimi Inari Gates, Bamboo Forest, Kiyomizu Temple, and the Samurai and Ninja Museum...

I went back and found her email... they brought food on the train for breakfast and took the earliest train out, and almost the last train back... it was a very long day... yet totally worth she said.. said that they had a lunch meal at a tea house, and dinner in a casual restaurant.. they bought tons of snacks for the train ride home.. her email said that they got lucky and got to see the Geisha moving around in the evening, they had to pay for a couple of pictures with them.. and got some shopping in..

It will be just my DH and I so this would be the perfect fit for us....another thought might be a private car tour... I hate to think what that would cost, with the price of fuel... Yikes
Yes doing a tour would definitely help you see all you want. We went on our own and used public transport mostly. Our kids were with us, but they were teenagers so didn’t slow us down. Also we went in July and it was very hot and humid. We could’ve probably covered more if we went when it was cooler.

Kyoto is OK in a day but I don't recommend doing it as a day trip from Tokyo.
It'd be much better to stay a couple nights in Osaka and also do things like the aquarium, castle, USJ, Kobe and/or see the deer in Nara.

Not sure why phones and electronic usage are a question mark. Japan uses similar plugs to the US but only 2 prongs so it's only an issue for your 3 pronged chargers. You can buy a SIM card to pick up at the airport or rent a portable wifi device.

Kyoto is OK in a day but I don't recommend doing it as a day trip from Tokyo.
It'd be much better to stay a couple nights in Osaka and also do things like the aquarium, castle, USJ, Kobe and/or see the deer in Nara.

Not sure why phones and electronic usage are a question mark. Japan uses similar plugs to the US but only 2 prongs so it's only an issue for your 3 pronged chargers. You can buy a SIM card to pick up at the airport or rent a portable wifi device.

So DH only wants to change hotels once.. TDL is on our bucket list so this is a must...with that said.

I had a meeting last night and 2 of the other ladies one said that we should skip Tokyo, and Stay in Osaka instead, she said its so much easier to get around, and there is alot to offer, and easier to do more day trips and see alot of Japan, instead of just the city, and that TDL is closer or about the same distant...

The other lady said we should think about flying into Tokyo, spend 2 or 3 nights on the island near the rainbow bridge ( I think she was talking about Odaiba), then go to TDL 2 or 3 night, from there go to Osaka, and fly out of Osaka home... which is moving hotels an extra time...

I'm going to have to pull up the rail pass site and get and idea of where everything is at...

Any thoughts about all this.. ?

So DH only wants to change hotels once.. TDL is on our bucket list so this is a must...with that said.

I had a meeting last night and 2 of the other ladies one said that we should skip Tokyo, and Stay in Osaka instead, she said its so much easier to get around, and there is alot to offer, and easier to do more day trips and see alot of Japan, instead of just the city, and that TDL is closer or about the same distant...

The other lady said we should think about flying into Tokyo, spend 2 or 3 nights on the island near the rainbow bridge ( I think she was talking about Odaiba), then go to TDL 2 or 3 night, from there go to Osaka, and fly out of Osaka home... which is moving hotels an extra time...

I'm going to have to pull up the rail pass site and get and idea of where everything is at...

Any thoughts about all this.. ?

I don't mind switching hotels so I'd prefer swapping to do more. But it really depends on what you want to do in Tokyo. I do feel like most people can get most of what they were looking for in Tokyo in Osaka as well.

It's easier to get reservations at the Pokemon Cafe in Osaka. If you wanted to go up Skytree or Tokyo Tower, Kobe Port Tower could be similar. The aquarium in Osaka is larger than the aquariums in Tokyo. The list goes on...

I have been using Chris' blog (TDRExplorer), for my information. It's been super helpful. And no, I'm not associated with him or his blog. I have just found his info useful in my planning.

I don't mind switching hotels so I'd prefer swapping to do more. But it really depends on what you want to do in Tokyo. I do feel like most people can get most of what they were looking for in Tokyo in Osaka as well.

It's easier to get reservations at the Pokemon Cafe in Osaka. If you wanted to go up Skytree or Tokyo Tower, Kobe Port Tower could be similar. The aquarium in Osaka is larger than the aquariums in Tokyo. The list goes on...
I agree with this. Why not consider staying at TDR a couple more nights and making a couple of day trips into Tokyo, then moving down to Osaka and seeing it and make a day trip from there into Kyoto? We did a day trip to Hiroshima and Meijima Island from Osaka and really enjoyed it.

I agree with this. Why not consider staying at TDR a couple more nights and making a couple of day trips into Tokyo, then moving down to Osaka and seeing it and make a day trip from there into Kyoto? We did a day trip to Hiroshima and Meijima Island from Osaka and really enjoyed it.

That's why I love this site... so many great idea's... lots of options to make your trip yours...

Sooo now... We could just switch it... Stay in Tokyo, and then commute to TDL.... and kinda break it up...

we are planning on - 1 travel day over - 14 hours from Florida - then 9 or 10 nights - then a travel day home... so 12 days...

So with that thought... We could go directly to Odaiba, our friends stayed there at the Hilton, and loved it... we have several other friends that suggested it. reasons being = They loved the view, and an easy connection to the train, and lots of food choice for dinner at night...

We really want to go to Disney Sea's... so maybe just one day at Disney... I would love to do both parks, yet if we go this route we could more in Tokyo, then do the day trips from Osaka... which seems like we might be able to tick all most all of the boxes...

I also have come across another question - We were wanting to possibly experience an Onsen or Sento - I know that they are different it has to do with the minerals in the water... suggestions on were to go, we are very opened minded, and have no problems with the custom and will follow them... as well DH and I both have tattoo's. Our friends went to one, and they had to cover them up, Are there any tattoo friendly spot for tourist with tattoo's... Suggestions...

As always Thanks a bunch

That's why I love this site... so many great idea's... lots of options to make your trip yours...

Sooo now... We could just switch it... Stay in Tokyo, and then commute to TDL.... and kinda break it up...

we are planning on - 1 travel day over - 14 hours from Florida - then 9 or 10 nights - then a travel day home... so 12 days...

So with that thought... We could go directly to Odaiba, our friends stayed there at the Hilton, and loved it... we have several other friends that suggested it. reasons being = They loved the view, and an easy connection to the train, and lots of food choice for dinner at night...

We really want to go to Disney Sea's... so maybe just one day at Disney... I would love to do both parks, yet if we go this route we could more in Tokyo, then do the day trips from Osaka... which seems like we might be able to tick all most all of the boxes...

I also have come across another question - We were wanting to possibly experience an Onsen or Sento - I know that they are different it has to do with the minerals in the water... suggestions on were to go, we are very opened minded, and have no problems with the custom and will follow them... as well DH and I both have tattoo's. Our friends went to one, and they had to cover them up, Are there any tattoo friendly spot for tourist with tattoo's... Suggestions...

As always Thanks a bunch

Odaiba may or may not be convenient for where you want to go. The hotel is close to a station but that station may be far from the places you want to go. If you're only doing one day in the park, then it makes sense to only stay in Odaiba and just take the Rinkai line to Shin-Kiba then transfer to Maihama where TDR is. This way you avoid your hotel swap. But I really recommend doing at least 2 days in the parks, especially because there are some things in TDL that aren't in any other parks.

Tattoos could be an issue. I suppose there are some onsen where you can get a private room in which case they won't pay care about your tattos but then you'll be doing a hotel swap and I assume your goal is to do a public bath. Can't really help you find a sento as I've only stayed in an onsen hotel once near Mt. Fuji.

Odaiba may or may not be convenient for where you want to go. The hotel is close to a station but that station may be far from the places you want to go. If you're only doing one day in the park, then it makes sense to only stay in Odaiba and just take the Rinkai line to Shin-Kiba then transfer to Maihama where TDR is. This way you avoid your hotel swap. But I really recommend doing at least 2 days in the parks, especially because there are some things in TDL that aren't in any other parks.
Pre-covid, Hilton Odaiba was a good neighbor hotel with bus service to TDL, so that may be another option.

I just wanted to say it is my understanding that a lot has changed in Odaiba post-Olympics, so it may not be the place it once was. My daughter will be there in a couple weeks and I'll report back her impressions of it since Dec. 2019.

Pre-covid, Hilton Odaiba was a good neighbor hotel with bus service to TDL, so that may be another option.

I just wanted to say it is my understanding that a lot has changed in Odaiba post-Olympics, so it may not be the place it once was. My daughter will be there in a couple weeks and I'll report back her impressions of it since Dec. 2019.

You're right. The website still shows the buses and I completely forgot they had this since I was often passing by Odaiba going between the parks and Haneda when the airport buses weren't running. I think this bus is actually complimentary for hotel guests too.

You're right. The website still shows the buses and I completely forgot they had this since I was often passing by Odaiba going between the parks and Haneda when the airport buses weren't running. I think this bus is actually complimentary for hotel guests too.

this is great info... Thanks so much... I double checked and it does show that this hotel is a good neighbor hotel. So that is a plus... Yay... going in the folder right now...

We are starting to kinda get worried about if Japan is going to open for individual travelers... We really really want to go... and right now nothing is moving or any kinda hint.. thoughts?

DH and I were talking I'm wondering if a private tour for 2 would be allowed.. That's if we could find someone that would be willing to do it, and then the cost... ? As well I understand that she or he would have to stay with us during the day, but could we go out to eat in the evening around the hotel? Then the really hard part is trying to find out about the tours guides any suggestions on where to look for this info? I have been trying to find something on the guidelines and rules so another suggestion.

this is great info... Thanks so much... I double checked and it does show that this hotel is a good neighbor hotel. So that is a plus... Yay... going in the folder right now...

We are starting to kinda get worried about if Japan is going to open for individual travelers... We really really want to go... and right now nothing is moving or any kinda hint.. thoughts?

DH and I were talking I'm wondering if a private tour for 2 would be allowed.. That's if we could find someone that would be willing to do it, and then the cost... ? As well I understand that she or he would have to stay with us during the day, but could we go out to eat in the evening around the hotel? Then the really hard part is trying to find out about the tours guides any suggestions on where to look for this info? I have been trying to find something on the guidelines and rules so another suggestion.

I think it's legal to do a private tour and it seems like it'll start at around $6K per week for two people not including airfare, meals or tickets to attractions. I think you need to apply for your Visa within 3 months of your tour but you'll need to first find a tour operator and negotiate rates.

In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble right now.

To update: my daughter was in Odaiba yesterday, and had a good time. Aqua City, Decks and Diver City seemed fine and she did the Haunted House in Decks. Venus Fort has closed. The Sky Wheel is closing in a week. And then that whole area will be redeveloped. But the areas closest to the Hilton and Grand Nikko are still open.

The Sky Wheel is closing in a week. And then that whole area will be redeveloped. But the areas closest to the Hilton and Grand Nikko are still open.

I can't believe Japan has been closed so long that the Sky Wheel closing is already upon us. It's looking like the two Teamlab locations may also be closed before Japan fully reopens.

I can't believe Japan has been closed so long that the Sky Wheel closing is already upon us. It's looking like the two Teamlab locations may also be closed before Japan fully reopens.
Yeah, she didn't realize when the TeamLab Borderless released its last set of tix so, she missed out on that. I think they are done Aug. 31. Such a bummer. I can't believe she managed to get to college on time there..

To update: my daughter was in Odaiba yesterday, and had a good time. Aqua City, Decks and Diver City seemed fine and she did the Haunted House in Decks. Venus Fort has closed. The Sky Wheel is closing in a week. And then that whole area will be redeveloped. But the areas closest to the Hilton and Grand Nikko are still open.

Thanks for the update... I talked to some friends who Son and Daughter in law are expats living in Japan for almost 8 years now, they took a break during covid and came home for 14 months, they decided to go back as the money is just to good to pass up, plus they really missed living there.

He said he doesn't think that Japan will open to individual tourism until next year. My friends are heading over there in late October, for 3 weeks to see them. They still send a weekly care package to them.

More and More it seem like we are going to push back our trip to Japan.. I hope that one day we will get there..

Regarding changing hotel, in Japan you can use a service to transfer luggage between hotels (Takuhaibin). It is relatively cheap and super convenient. Keep a carry on bag the things you need your last night and ship the rest to your next hotel. So you can avoid bringing your luggage with you on the underground or trains.
I spent 17 full days in Japan and I left hoping I had more time. I'm sure you'll leave starting planning for your next visit, like I did. I wanted to go in October 2020, now planning to go in 2024 instead, the TDS expansion should be open (in theory it'll open in 2023, but I don't want to risk a delay).
At TDR we did 4 days, one in Tokyo Disneyland, which is amazing, but 3 in TDS, it is just on another level, I cannot imagine what it'll be with the new ports.

They still send a weekly care package to them.

Wow, that's expensive over time. What can they not get in Tokyo that they need sent to them? Just curious and trying to prepare myself for any requests. Also they just dropped testing mandate for any visa travelers who've had a vaccine course that is acceptable to the Japanese government. I'll take November for the reopening to tourists. Will it include the US? Don't know, but I'll bet it will. HOWEVER, I'm just placing armchair bets, so do what you think is best for your trips. I know I wouldn't wait around, when so much else is available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter