• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best shoe for DLR in January

Sadly, there is no single right answer. We all have very different needs because our bodies aren't all built the same, and what works/is comfortable for one person might be miserable for someone else. I'd recommend taking something you're already familiar with that you find comfortable, keeping in mind the extra amount of walking.

I've tried many things over the years that came highly recommended by others. Some made me miserable, some were ok, and some were great. The truth is that you need to assess your own body makeup and what you've found to be comfortable for yourself and not rely on what others recommend.

I personally have very wide feet so many types of footwear that are perfect for others are terrible for me.

I wouldn't want to wear any kind of sandals with socks. The idea of having wet feet does not appeal. Now, I often wear sandals--even flips--when it's hot (no socks), but if the temps are lower, there is NO way I want to walk around with soaking wet or even damp feet. I wear a pair of short waterproof boots when it's cool and possibly wet (mine are Hunter brand), but I don't have any foot/leg issues that would preclude that.

My mom just bought me a pair of ON cloud 5s. It is what she wore the last time she went to Disney. I am hoping they work since she has similar feet to mine. I will definitely check back after the trip and let everyone know how they work.

Another vote for Hoka's. I started wearing them while I struggled with some bad plantar fasciitis (major foot pain) a few years ago and now that is basically all I will wear!
Just made this switch about 2 months ago and it's night and day how I feel with my Hoka Clifton's. I originally had the brooks adrenaline's to try and help with this issue, and the Hoka's have worked so much better. My right knee that was bothering me from favoring my left foot/ankle now feels completely normal as well. Can't recommend these shoes enough if you have plantar fascitis or any ankle/knee issues.

Just made this switch about 2 months ago and it's night and day how I feel with my Hoka Clifton's. I originally had the brooks adrenaline's to try and help with this issue, and the Hoka's have worked so much better. My right knee that was bothering me from favoring my left foot/ankle now feels completely normal as well. Can't recommend these shoes enough if you have plantar fascitis or any ankle/knee issues.

Brooks Ravennas (RIP) cured me of a terrible 2 year PF flare up. It hasn't come back since. It's been 8 years. Too bad they discontinued the Ravennas. They were amazing shoes for me.

Agree that what works for one won't work for another.

But I think we can ALL agree that if you decide to get new footwear of ANY kind before your trip, get it early enough so that you can, not just break them in, but wear them over and over and over and walk, walk, WALK in them for hours at a time well before you leave.

And throw your raggiest, ugliest, oldest, most comfy shoes in your suitcase, just in case!

Please go to an actual running store and get fitted , they are helpful and trained on what works for your foot , stride , gait , issues , etc.

I have plantar fasciitis from work , Achilles tendinitis in my left from work and when not wearing work boots I wear Hoka athletic shoes or Oofos flip flops and literally nothing else. I have wide feet and my podistrist recommends these for me.

Sadly, there is no single right answer. We all have very different needs because our bodies aren't all built the same, and what works/is comfortable for one person might be miserable for someone else. I'd recommend taking something you're already familiar with that you find comfortable, keeping in mind the extra amount of walking.

This times infinity. People can throw shoe recommendations at me all day and then wait until you see their face when I tell them I've had the best luck with VANS. (I also have these amazing flip-flops that I got at Kohl's years ago, and sadly are disocntinued, that I will throw on in the summer and can walk the entire park in them.)

Unfortunately, it's all trial and error at this point. And while shoes definitely make a difference, it's also the socks you wear, keeping your feet dry, and if you're prone to blisters (like me), finding the right things to help prevent them. What works for me won't work for the next person, and vice versa.

I have plantar fasciitis from work , Achilles tendinitis in my left from work and when not wearing work boots I wear Hoka athletic shoes or Oofos flip flops and literally nothing else. I have wide feet and my podistrist recommends these for me.

I have on Oofo slides right now! :) Same as you I'm almost always in either my Hokas or Oofos, and my last couple DL trips I took both to the parks. Left the Oofos in a locker as a "just in case my feet hurt" backup. Didn't need them as the Hokas did great, but the Oofas sure feel fantastic when back to the hotel at night.... although my daughter says they are the ugliest shoes she's ever seen..... rude.

I like Asics because they have good support but are breathable. Lately I've been wearing HOKA sneakers which are super comfortable and supportive.

You could also try wearing your Chacos with Bombas socks.
Love my Asics- I wear them with my inserts and can walk forever, and my feet stay warm!

I used to wear Birkenstocks at the parks and they were great for the most part, but occasionally I'd get a blister in a weird spot like the bottom of my foot. Before going on 3 Disney trips last year, I decided to try out some sneakers. I got a pair of Hokas and a pair of On Clouds. I wear the On Clouds for full park days and they're amazing. I wear the Hokas on shorter park days, travel days, etc. I've worn them on hot days in July and super cold days on October and they've been great in any weather.

I originally ordered both, and both were awful (wrong size/style, very uncomfortable). I returned them, went to Nordstrom, and tried different models and sizes. I found the right ones and they've been perfect. Sizing on the Hokas was weird. My husband and I got the same model, and he had to size up .5 and I had to size down .5. You just have to try them on in person. Also the right socks are important. For me, it's the Bombas Women's Lightweight Running Ankle Socks.

Eww! This Vancouver Island girl says "No! Just NO!!!" to socks with sandals. Lol
😂 lol. No for me too😂... at least in public anyway. I’m a Hoka wearer. I used to like Brooks, but I ended up switching it up. I agree though, everyone’s needs are different! Birkenstocks healed my Plantar fasciitis, but they give me blisters if it’s too hot, or too much walking. The keen presidio’s worked well for me with a Birkenstock insert for 12 hr work days and 25k steps on disney trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter