Best restaurants to eat at solo?

I just go to whatever restaurant I like the menu of, or the ambiance. I don't think of restaurants as better or worse for solo travellers.

The one thing I do not do or do less is character dining, because that is an experience which get better when you have others to make memories with, in my opinion.

Is there something particular you are looking for? Like restaurants with a bar?

The one thing I do not do or do less is character dining, because that is an experience which get better when you have others to make memories with, in my opinion.
Huh. I'm curious as to why you feel it's better with others than solo.

Care to elaborate?

This gets asked every once in a while. There is no "best". All restaurants are the same IMO, you go there to eat. So go and eat wherever the food looks good to you. I have eaten at all types of restaurants at WDW solo, Biergarten, Teppan, Boma, etc. There is this mentality that it is somehow shameful to eat on your own, as if eating is some kind of naughty thing that you can only do with others. I just don't understand this mentality. No one cares, no one is looking at you, and everyone on the planet eats. Eat wherever you want.

By FAR, my favorite place to eat solo is the bar at Flying Fish (Boardwalk; dinner only). I'm not sure what it is but the bartenders work some magic and whether you want to keep to yourself or are open to chat with others you wind up having a fantastic time.

I also love the cooking place bar/counter at Jiko where you can watch them preparing some salads, flatbreads, and desserts.

Nomad Lounge is a terrific stop in Animal Kingdom. Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios. Geyser Point (Wilderness Lodge) or Steakhouse 71 (Contemporary) are good MK-adjacent lounges.

Tons of options in Disney Springs --bars at Boathouse (I recommend heading to the Dockside bar out back), Wine Bar George, Homecomin', Raglan Road.

Restaurants at Swan and Dolphin complex (Shula's, Il Mulino, bluezoo, Amare) are all pretty used to convention go-ers and solo diners at their bars are very common. And the food is great too!

All this said, go where you want to! The only place I might avoid solo is Teppan Edo where you're seated with others (Biergarten still seating parties individually as of last report), but that's personal preference. I don't feel out of place dining solo at all ... it's actually pretty common.

I do plan on doing Boma, it is one of my favorites. I thought about O'hana, but I don't think I would feel comfortable.

By FAR, my favorite place to eat solo is the bar at Flying Fish (Boardwalk; dinner only). I'm not sure what it is but the bartenders work some magic and whether you want to keep to yourself or are open to chat with others you wind up having a fantastic time.

I also love the cooking place bar/counter at Jiko where you can watch them preparing some salads, flatbreads, and desserts.

Nomad Lounge is a terrific stop in Animal Kingdom. Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios. Geyser Point (Wilderness Lodge) or Steakhouse 71 (Contemporary) are good MK-adjacent lounges.

Tons of options in Disney Springs --bars at Boathouse (I recommend heading to the Dockside bar out back), Wine Bar George, Homecomin', Raglan Road.

Restaurants at Swan and Dolphin complex (Shula's, Il Mulino, bluezoo, Amare) are all pretty used to convention go-ers and solo diners at their bars are very common. And the food is great too!

All this said, go where you want to! The only place I might avoid solo is Teppan Edo where you're seated with others (Biergarten still seating parties individually as of last report), but that's personal preference. I don't feel out of place dining solo at all ... it's actually pretty common.
Those are great recommendations, thank you!

My wife crashed halfway through my 50th birthday trip (she says that I broke her 😂) so I wound up doing a bunch of unplanned solo dining. I totally agree with the people saying “anywhere”. I had the *best* character interactions at Tusker House, especially when I explained why I was alone. Goofy even sat down at my table for a moment. Every place was kind and welcoming. So go wherever you want to eat. And enjoy!

The first meal I felt comfortable going solo was Sci-Fi. Just like sitting in the living room in front of the TV, watching a cheesy movie. Another one, believe it or not, is a character meal. No, I'm not crazy. My first character meal solo was Cape May, and I just wanted the food, not to interact with the characters. But it was so much fun to sit there and watch the families interacting with the characters, spying a character for the first time, all the "people watching" made the meal go by so fast! And the characters must have had inner radar that told them I didn't want any pictures or interaction, so they'd just give a little wave and/or blow me a kiss as they went by. And if you're afraid you might stick out, don't worry, that is, unless you bear a striking resemblance to a Disney character. That's all people there are noticing. And I had to chuckle to myself-the servers weren't too used to having a solo there, I guess, because I had several servers checking on me frequently to see if I was OK, needed anything, they really wanted to be sure I was having a good time, and I was!

I've no qualms about dining solo, anywhere. Bar, table, you name it. I might feel a bit strange if I went to HDDR and sat on the main floor at a table solo, but the balcony counter seating wouldn't faze me. We saw a solo diner up there when we sat up there once. Looked like he was enjoying the evening.

Any suggestions? I won't be doing breakfast.
Trattoria al Forno is nice. I ate there solo when it was Kouzzina. Same atmosphere.

Most of the resort "moderate" places (GF Cafe, Kona, Steakhouse 71, Olivia's, etc.) are good places to go solo too.

These days it is a matter of where you can get an ADR. One secret is always book for two. Some of the restaurants, O'hana comes to mind, will not accept a booking for one.

These days it is a matter of where you can get an ADR. One secret is always book for two. Some of the restaurants, O'hana comes to mind, will not accept a booking for one.
I've had great luck just walking up, even if there's a bit of a wait. Or (even preferably), I just sit at the bar and eat.

This might be a stupid question but for buffet’s like Boma, where you have to get up from your table to go get more food, is anyone concerned about leaving their stuff at the table, including their drink? I am currently in the early stages of planning a solo trip and that is the only thing that is keeping me from considering buffets. Maybe I’m thinking too hard about it though.

This might be a stupid question but for buffet’s like Boma, where you have to get up from your table to go get more food, is anyone concerned about leaving their stuff at the table, including their drink? I am currently in the early stages of planning a solo trip and that is the only thing that is keeping me from considering buffets. Maybe I’m thinking too hard about it though.

It's not a major concern at most Disney restaurants. I wouldn't leave anything valuable obviously out, but generally nobody will mess with your stuff and your waiter will have an eye on your table too.

This gets asked every once in a while. There is no "best". All restaurants are the same IMO, you go there to eat. So go and eat wherever the food looks good to you. I have eaten at all types of restaurants at WDW solo, Biergarten, Teppan, Boma, etc. There is this mentality that it is somehow shameful to eat on your own, as if eating is some kind of naughty thing that you can only do with others. I just don't understand this mentality. No one cares, no one is looking at you, and everyone on the planet eats. Eat wherever you want.
I totally agree...this is a great reply. You Can't limit what you really want to eat or where just because you're solo...I find I get really good service and interaction with staff when I'm solo dining at WDW restaurants. And I'm not the most outgoing person at the best of times, so, if I can, anyone can. That all said, I do tend to agree with character dining, probably because I find it's more fun with seeing the reactions by other folks at the table when you're interacting with the characters or when your friends or family are interacting with them. Unless you're really set on hugging your all time favorite character(s) of course; in that case, go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter