• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best place in each park to escape the heat in the middle of the day

chcmama

Mouseketeer
We will be there the middle of July and are staying off site. We have only been twice and have never been during this kind of heat or crowds. Our kids are 20, 16, and 12, I had initially thought about going back to our resort, but it is just too far to make it worthwhile. We are doing 1 day at each park and I wanted to try and find a place in the park or near the park to get out of the heat and rest. I know eating lunch is one option but I'm not sure what places we would be able to get reservations at, we just decided to go a few weeks ago and I just ordered our tickets today. I figured you all know so much on here, that you might be able to give me some good advice :-)

Magic Kingdom - Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Mickey's Philharmagic. You might even be able to catch a nice breeze on the Peoplemover. We have also taken the monorail to the Poly or Contemporary to hang out and see the gift shops which are all air conditioned.

EPCOT - any of the indoor rides like Nemo and the aquarium, Spaceship Earth, and Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Hollywood Studios - Mermaid, Muppets Vision, One Man's Dream, and the Star Wars area

AK - Nemo Musical or take the bus to AKL which is beautiful and a nice break for lunch, shopping, or snack

MK: Hall of Presidents is a nice long show in a cool theater (It should reopen June 30)
EP: Ellen's Energy Adventure is a long ride, or you can go hang out in some of the pavilions. The Seas aquarium is a place to kill some time.
HS: The Voyage of the Little Mermaid - it's not that long but there is mist over the audience. Kill some time in the Star Wars Launch Bay.
AK: Finding Nemo the Musical is a long show. Festival of the Lion King is shorter (about 30 minutes) Note that waiting to get into these will be hot.

You don't actually need reservations to eat in the air conditioning. There is some exceptions like africa in AK and over by RNR/TOT in hollywood where there is quick service food court style with outdoor only seating but overall you can dine inside with quick service.

Personally, learn what rides have indoor queues with longer ride times.. I tend to aim for those or sitting in some quick service when I need a break. I've also park hopped just to get the bus A/C for awhile to cool down.

MK: I love enjoying the breeze and the shade on the train that encircles the park :) I just hop on, ride a lap or two, and get off feeling refreshed:thumbsup2

MK: Hall of Presidents is a nice long show in a cool theater (It should reopen June 30)

Latest reports are the reopening is delayed. I don't believe there is currently a set date for the HoP to reopen.

As for places to cool off:

MK: Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic
Epcot: Any of the movies in the World Showcase pavilions. I remember ducking into the movie in the China pavilion one August and the a/c feeling like heaven. But, if I'm remembering correctly, there aren't seats in that show. The movie in France is a lovely escape from the heat.
AK: FotLK or the Nemo show
DHS: Voyage of the LM, the Frozen sing-a-long

MK Peoplemover. Breezy and relaxing. Or Carousel of Progress where you can actually fall asleep.

Epcot Ellen's Energy Adventures. Flat out the best in-park nap in all of WDW. Or The American Adventure. It's a good place to snooze, but it's shorter than Ellen.

DHS Sci Fi Dine Inn is wonderfully cool and dark. The Great Movie Ride is a great nap ride.

AK Anywhere you can find air conditioning.

Latest reports are the reopening is delayed. I don't believe there is currently a set date for the HoP to reopen.

As for places to cool off:

MK: Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic
Epcot: Any of the movies in the World Showcase pavilions. I remember ducking into the movie in the China pavilion one August and the a/c feeling like heaven. But, if I'm remembering correctly, there aren't seats in that show. The movie in France is a lovely escape from the heat.
AK: FotLK or the Nemo show
DHS: Voyage of the LM, the Frozen sing-a-long

You are correct about the China movie. China and Canada are Circle Vision movies and you are required to stand the whole time. The France movie does have seats.

Good note about the HoP.

In the MK, I exited and rode around on the monorail for a while. Then I got off at GF, and sat in the lobby for a while. At AK, I went into Pizzafari or Restaurantasourus and got a soft drink in mid-afternoon, when QS restaurants are almost empty.

We will be there the middle of July and are staying off site. We have only been twice and have never been during this kind of heat or crowds. Our kids are 20, 16, and 12, I had initially thought about going back to our resort, but it is just too far to make it worthwhile. We are doing 1 day at each park and I wanted to try and find a place in the park or near the park to get out of the heat and rest. I know eating lunch is one option but I'm not sure what places we would be able to get reservations at, we just decided to go a few weeks ago and I just ordered our tickets today. I figured you all know so much on here, that you might be able to give me some good advice :-)
You should have no problem booking dining reservations for July. I recommend that highly. The air conditioned meal will be a perfect break from the heat.

You can often get lunch ADRs at a resort restaurant even if the theme park restaurants are booked up. And I appreciate the break from the theme park crowds that a visit to a resort provides.

You don't actually need reservations to eat in the air conditioning. There is some exceptions like africa in AK and over by RNR/TOT in hollywood where there is quick service food court style with outdoor only seating but overall you can dine inside with quick service.

Personally, learn what rides have indoor queues with longer ride times.. I tend to aim for those or sitting in some quick service when I need a break. I've also park hopped just to get the bus A/C for awhile to cool down.

This. There are tons of QS restaurants that are nice and cool. Also, there are so many rides in all of the parks that are a/c, including the queues. They've already been listed by others. We go in July frequently, including this year, and stay off site also. The rides are perfect for the midday heat.

Note for those that aren't familiar with the train, it is not enclosed nor air conditioned.

Totally agree. I actually find that the train is pretty darn hot at times, especially because it has spots where it's out in the sun. When it's moving and in the shade it's nice, but otherwise not so much. When it stops at a station, you really roast. Personally, I wouldn't use it to cool off.

you got great advice on the rides already so here are some good 'no reservation' restaurants w/ AC. There are lot more but these would be my favorite options that I would go to:

MK - Pinocchio Village Haus (great flatbread), Cosmic Rays (i like the toppings bar)
HS - abc commissary (different type of options)
EPCOT - electric umbrella (great flarbread and speciality burger
AK - Pizzafari (delicious specialty pizza!!! I was very very surprised in a good way)

Thank you all so much!! I'll write down all of your ideas and figure out what will work best for us, maybe some reservations for lunch and some resorts to wander and sit in the lobby . I know dh wants to find a place to nap :faint: with the heat and crowds we are hoping to be at the parks at opening so we will be ready for some rest in the afternoon. :)

I honestly have no idea how people go without midday breaks for trips lasting longer than 3 days.

I mean, we're a rope drop family and we love the night time entertainment and fireworks. In the winter we can swing full days but anything after the time change and we need a mid day pool/resort break.

In the Studios, we often do the Great Movie Ride and immediately follow that up with the Frozen Sing-along. If there is a lag time, we sometimes pop into the ABC Commissary to kill time. All three have my summer trifecta (inside, air conditioned, and seats with backs) and they are right beside each other. Begin or end the tour with FP+ at Star Tours and/or a Sci Fi ADR and you can easily have 3-4 hours of climate control without walking miles while keeping the kiddos entertained. Restrooms are right there, too.

This is a GREAT question, and very timely with summer heat coming on.

In every park, a leisurely lunch either at CS, or TS with A/C is always a good idea.

MK Of course, the shops can provide some relief from the heat, as can Tom Sawyer Island. Pirates is cool, and long, with an air conditioned queue line. The Tiki room is air conditioned, and a nice little break. Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Monsters Inc., and Philharmagic are long shows with air conditioned queue areas, providing a nice break. Small World has an air conditioned queue area.

Epcot The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Pixar Short Film Festival, The Universe of Energy, Mission Space, Test Track, the Grand Fiesta Tour, Journey Into Your Imagination, and Frozen Ever After all have air conditioned queues and are a nice break from the heat.

DHS The Little Mermaid show is a break from the heat, as is One Man's Dream.

AK, I don't know, good luck hahaha. Festival of the Lion King is a nice break from the heat. Aside from that, much of this park is out in the sun. I guess my best advice here is shop frequently, and stay hydrated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter