Best loop for RV? And anything else I need to know?

Bigcheeseesq

Earning My Ears
I am a fort virgin. I plan to book in the next few days for Nov. 2018. What would be the best loop to request? We have a 32 foot RV with slide outs on both sides and an awaning so we need a wide site. Should I book online or call? Any advice?

:welcome:

Asking which loop to request is like asking 1000 people what the best drink is. You will get a 1000 different answers. Which loop depends on where you want to be, see map, pinned on first page. Near the pool, transportation, near a canal, have dogs, near dog park, near the Meadows where they have the movies ?? As you can see there are a lot of choices. You can watch youtube videos of the loops also. You can book online or call, as your dates get closer, you can call to request a loop, which is not to say you will get it. At this time you can also let them know what size RV you have. And well, ours Fifth wheel is tiny at 42 ft with 6 slides, with truck attached we are 60 ft long, so know all about needing space. :scratchin
I would be booking a Premium site since you want something wide.

Last edited:
All the RV sites are wide enough for your RV and I can't think of any that would be too short. We are over 43' and happen to like a site in a preferred loop

All the RV sites are wide enough for your RV and I can't think of any that would be too short. We are over 43' and happen to like a site in a preferred loop
Well.... This depends on what else you might want on your site. We have had some sites that were, well, a bit narrow. So while our TT fit, if we wanted the EZ-Up set up, it would have been a challenge. To leave space so the truck can stay on the site with us I had to back the TT so the rear stabilizers were OFF the pad into the sand/coquina. That trip we did not have a golf cart, but if we did, it would have been REALLY cramped.

I am a fort virgin. I plan to book in the next few days for Nov. 2018. What would be the best loop to request? We have a 32 foot RV with slide outs on both sides and an awaning so we need a wide site. Should I book online or call? Any advice?

Our last trip (last week) we were on 1021, and that was a premium site that was WIDE and DEEP For our TT and much much more.

So really, much like Chris (PaHunter) said, it depends on what you want.

A KEY consideration is making sure they note your RV size on the reservation. I would even "Add" a few feet as a safe buffer (so if you are 32 feet, I might tell them 34 feet). Also let them know to note the reservations the number of slides too.

Is your RV a TT, a Fifth Wheel, a Class A or C?

Last year we had a close call getting our 30 ft TT in to a site in the Preferred 100 loop. Was an electrical transformer box on the opposite side of road, made things really tight. I know our new Fiver will not fit in the preferred loops, sadly.

Sadly it's not just the size of the Site. There are other factors. A big one is the "Angle" you have to be able to get it in. Particularly if it's crowded and people are "Stretching" the rules about how and where to park.:rolleyes1

So while a rig may fit into a site... Getting it IN may be the bigger issue.

Well.... This depends on what else you might want on your site. We have had some sites that were, well, a bit narrow. So while our TT fit, if we wanted the EZ-Up set up, it would have been a challenge. To leave space so the truck can stay on the site with us I had to back the TT so the rear stabilizers were OFF the pad into the sand/coquina. That trip we did not have a golf cart, but if we did, it would have been REALLY cramped.

Our last trip (last week) we were on 1021, and that was a premium site that was WIDE and DEEP For our TT and much much more.

So really, much like Chris (PaHunter) said, it depends on what you want.

A KEY consideration is making sure they note your RV size on the reservation. I would even "Add" a few feet as a safe buffer (so if you are 32 feet, I might tell them 34 feet). Also let them know to note the reservations the number of slides too.

Is your RV a TT, a Fifth Wheel, a Class A or C?

Its a class A

I've watched alot of youtube videos since this post so I have a better idea now. And I officially booked. Kids are excited to go to Disney again!

I've watched alot of youtube videos since this post so I have a better idea now. And I officially booked. Kids are excited to go to Disney again!

There is an App ( isn't there always an app ;-) ) that has pictures of most of the camping sites. The App is called "Sites At The Fort" ... for Android.

Makes me a bit more comfortable with a preferred site hearing your prefer them with your 43'. We had to change our week and went from Premium to Preferred and people keep telling me we will have issues with our 33' TT (truck and GC as well)

Makes me a bit more comfortable with a preferred site hearing your prefer them with your 43'. We had to change our week and went from Premium to Preferred and people keep telling me we will have issues with our 33' TT (truck and GC as well)
The key is to try and check-in early.... That way if you DO have a problem, you can go to the front and request a new site. That gets harder and harder as more people check-in during the day and less and less sites are available to "Swap"

Yes but a 45 foot motorhome and a TT or Fifth wheel are very different animals. I drove bus in New York city, 57 passenger tour buses, and I could take that about anywhere you could dream of. My fifth wheel and truck come in at a combined length of 60 feet, and track and turn completely different. Depending on the site, you may have a quick and easy back in. You may have to work at it. We really loved the preferred and if I had more practice with this beast, might have even booked one, yea right. Our last stay was in site 103 IIRC, and the big problem getting in there was an electrical transformer box across the road, which happen to be right where the nose of my truck wanted to swing to follow the trailer in to the site. There was another site around the bend, was a straight back right in site, of course was occupied when we got there. It will be fine, relax, take your time, and if all else fails you can ask for a different site as PEG110 suggested.

There is an App ( isn't there always an app ;-) ) that has pictures of most of the camping sites. The App is called "Sites At The Fort" ... for Android.

Thanks for this tip. I have an iphone, but I searched for this and found "Fort Wilderness sites" app for iphone. Checking it out now...

YouTube has plenty of videos of the Fort loops as well....

YouTube has plenty of videos of the Fort loops as well....

Yes, but when they text me my site number who has time to watch the video of the loop and site I will be in. :rolleyes1
Actually we are 50/50 on loop requests. One year didn't get it, next year did. This year will be the tie breaker......popcorn::

Yes, but when they text me my site number who has time to watch the video of the loop and site I will be in.

Nice to have someone agree with me. On the way that morning to the Fort is NOT the time to be watching vids on your phone while you are inbound to the Fort.

When I get my site assignment text between 6am and 630am, I'm usually on my way to the Fort by that time. I know some folks like to get the text and go right to their site but I like to stop at the Fort checkin building, say "good morning" to the CM's, and see what sites are available. I have my favorite loop in my request and I have 3-4 specific site numbers which might or might not be available at some point during that day.

Folks can get a site number and drive down to it. If they like it, set up on it. If not, call the Fort office and ask for a site you see open/empty that may not have been assigned already. Thing to keep in mind (learned this the hard way years ago) is that a site may be empty for HOURS and look like it's available but if the guest coming in used early check in and it was assigned to them, it's theirs as if they were in the lobby at 630am. They can come in at MIDNIGHT and it's still theirs.

You can specify an early check-in time whenever you want and actually arrive hours later. When you get the early check-in site number text, you are there.

And for the record, I am 8/12 on requested loops since I had my popup/2006 in various flavors. But I arrive super early in the morning that leaves me time to negotiate. :hourglass

Bama Ed

Once we learned we could request a loop, we have had good luck. 2/3 so I guess we are beating the odds.

I made my reservation online and am not sure how to request a site. We just bought our 5er and will be over 60' long. This will be our second trip with it (the beginning of our full timing, work-on-the-road life) and I'd prefer an easy in/out site. We've had other trailers, but nothing quite this long. I don't remember seeing a way to request a site prior to check in. We'll be moving here from a BLT GV, so we probably won't be there at o'dark thirty to check in, although we could ferry over and check out sites before we go to pick the trailer up from the other campground where we're leaving it while at BLT. Suggestions? We're DVC, so are much more familiar with navigating THAT system! :-)

I made my reservation online and am not sure how to request a site. We just bought our 5er and will be over 60' long. This will be our second trip with it (the beginning of our full timing, work-on-the-road life) and I'd prefer an easy in/out site. We've had other trailers, but nothing quite this long. I don't remember seeing a way to request a site prior to check in. We'll be moving here from a BLT GV, so we probably won't be there at o'dark thirty to check in, although we could ferry over and check out sites before we go to pick the trailer up from the other campground where we're leaving it while at BLT. Suggestions? We're DVC, so are much more familiar with navigating THAT system! :-)

There is no way to request a specfic site. You can request loop and as bama ed stated if you are a there early enough, plead for a site you like. Sites are assigned about a week out, and can possibly be changed depending on what is available with campground turn over.
I suggest finding a big parking lot, a couple milk jugs and practice backing up, both to the drivers side and passenger side. Fort sites are located on both sides, and you never know.
There are no easy in/out sites at the Fort, it was designed years ago, before everyone started towing behemoths. There are some easier sites, but no guarantee that one would be open. Check out the site, the earlier in the day the better, see if it is ok, and if not you can ask to be switched, and they will try to get you a more suitable site.
First thing I do is have them note the size of my Fiver and rig on my reservation, so that they know I am coming in with 43ft, 60ft overall and 6 slides. This way Disney can plan accordingly that week out when placing campers in the system.
The other unknown to getting in to one's site is how others are parked. Sometimes people on other sites are not so considerate when parking, either cars or golf carts. This could also complicate the backing in process.
Above all, go slow, take your time, get out and look if need be. It is not a race, it is not a timed event. Once saw a camper take an hour and a half to back his new Fiver in to a camping spot. popcorn::
But he was learning and was determined that he was going to make it work. The site was fine, his skill was lacking as this was also his first trailer I believe.
So again the best advice and I am still doing the same, practice, practice, practice. :thumbsup2
And I have been backing trailers since learning to back a 40ft horse trailer at the age of 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter