Best Disney ship for couple only trip

My husband and I are wanting to go on a cruise without the kids. I have only sailed on the Disney Dream and that was about 7 years ago. We have both sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival but I definitely enjoyed the Disney experience more. Which Disney ship would one suggest for a couple going without kids?
We went on the Wish...but, if you can, concierge is just wonderful. On the Wish, there is a private sundeck with Dole Whip smoothies! We stayed on the ship when everyone went to Nassau, and we were alone on the sundeck! all alone in the hot tub, just was a wonderful experience. We're going again in the Fall on the Wish as we want to do the Halloween cruise.

We went on the Wish...but, if you can, concierge is just wonderful. On the Wish, there is a private sundeck with Dole Whip smoothies! We stayed on the ship when everyone went to Nassau, and we were alone on the sundeck! all alone in the hot tub, just was a wonderful experience. We're going again in the Fall on the Wish as we want to do the Halloween cruise.

And this private sun deck and Dolewhip are just for Concierge cabins?

I did put in a plug earlier for the Dream and Fantasy for their adult spaces. But if you like to spend time in a pub, the Magic and Wonder are so much better than the Dream and Fantasy. I haven't been on the Wish.

I have to agree, We did this last October, couple only and it was great. Second favorite couples cruise- Dream

The "kid factor" or lack of kids on a cruise has a lot to do with the length of the cruise. The longer the cruise, the more expensive, and with kids, that adds up in a hurry. When we did the Panama Canal cruise on the Wonder, the cruise director commented on how few kids were onboard. It was in January and the cruising kids brought their homework, but missing school is a big factor.

Itinerary is another factor. We've cruised Alaska several times, and have noticed that there's more kids on the Caribbean cruises. The lil darlins seem to be more "into" Castaway Cay than glaciers.

We did a fall foliage cruise on another cruise line and the youngest passengers onboard were about 40-ish. On our Baltic cruise (non Disney) there may have been a preschooler or two but we rarely saw them. There were two young adults on one of our river cruises -- again, the expense and missing school were major "deterrents" for families.

Agree with the information that's been given but going to *tack* in a different direction after opinion --

We've cruised Wonder and Dream with family and by ourselves resulting in wonderful memories on both but for solo cruising we would opt for Dream. We simply enjoy a larger boat and to that extent we actually enjoy Oasis of the Seas even more than Dream and would likely prefer Oasis over WISH. We are low maintenance requiring nothing special from entertainment or food or Character/Theming of decor.

3, 2, 1, helm’s over -- tack >> Our current Cruise Line of choice allows us to cruise at a Concierge Level above that of DCL for fewer dollars

Last edited:
Dream or fantasy definitely. Spacious, great bars, Remy. Excellent adult Cove area. Big fitness area. Also, I’d definitely recommend a transatlantic cruise, either way, if you have the time, lots of sea days, good entertainment, cooking classes, varied other entertainment. Very fun cruise and a good value.

The Dream and Fantasy have the best adult-only pools, while the Wish has the largest thermal suite if you planned on getting a pass for the cruise. I'd also say the Wish has the most interesting and best themed bars. But I would also pick itinerary over the ship. Longer cruises while school is in session will have the least kids.

Smaller and shallower than the Wonder and Magic. Less hot tub space. Children routinely wandering through due to the design of the pool deck. How does this equate to the best?
More places to sit both inside and outside the pool, nicer hot tubs with views outside the ship, and I like the cove bar being out at the pool.

The Dream and Fantasy have the best adult-only pools, while the Wish has the largest thermal suite if you planned on getting a pass for the cruise. I'd also say the Wish has the most interesting and best themed bars. But I would also pick itinerary over the ship. Longer cruises while school is in session will have the least kids.

I've gotten rainforest room passes on the Dream/Fantasy and the Wish. I prefer the Dream/Fantasy over the Wish because of the ocean view which is missing on the Wish.

I've gotten rainforest room passes on the Dream/Fantasy and the Wish. I prefer the Dream/Fantasy over the Wish because of the ocean view which is missing on the Wish.
That's true about the views. I was thinking of the large outside area on the Wish, but you can't see out of it.

The Wish Adult pool deck area is notoriously bad. I'm actually pretty forgiving of the Wish and enjoy it, but overall the adult pool deck area is a huge major miss. If you don't care about pools/hot tubs for adults, then I'd say the Wish, it's a beautiful ship, has great themed bars, etc. but the lack of a good adult pool area is a big problem.

My wife and I did a couples only trip on the Magic last year and really enjoyed it. One big difference between the Magic/Wonder and the other boats is that when on Castaway Cay, the crowds are significantly smaller. We had a huge section of Serenity Beach to ourselves and it was wonderful.

How many nights
Looking for a good deal or is price unimportant
Time of year, departure point
Any place you wanted to visit but having the kids held you back?

What do you want to do on this cruise?
Unique ports
Spa experience / Rainforest Room
Bars
Adult pool area
Specialized dining
Production shows
Walk the Promenade around Deck 4
Have a different type cabin
Verandah or not
Watch movies in the Buena Vista Theater (M W D F - not Wish)
Really??!! No BV Theater on the Wish? I'm surprised to hear that.

The Wish Adult pool deck area is notoriously bad. I'm actually pretty forgiving of the Wish and enjoy it, but overall the adult pool deck area is a huge major miss. If you don't care about pools/hot tubs for adults, then I'd say the Wish, it's a beautiful ship, has great themed bars, etc. but the lack of a good adult pool area is a big problem.
Does it have a feature like Satellite Falls?

Really??!! No BV Theater on the Wish? I'm surprised to hear that.

Nope, there are two small theatres that show movies but no large Buena Vista theatre. The small theaters hold maybe 80 people, and on our Wish cruise They both showed the same thing. We usually enjoy movies on the cruise but did not watch one on the Wish.

Does it have a feature like Satellite Falls?
Not exactly. If you look at the deck plans for the Wish you’ll see a small pool area on deck 14 called the Chip and Dale pool. Despite the name it’s really not themed and is what I would call a small paddling pool. It does have some sundeck and some shaded deck around it. It is not adult only.

We are doing a 5 night magic for my 50th birthday - I wanted caribbean (relaxing "vacation" and not "travel" and feeling obligated to make the most of seeing things in any one port) and the only other one was the Fantasy with its first ever stop to lighthouse point so prices were bonkers (more than 2x for the 7 night than I paid for the 5 night) at the time we booked.

But also I just wanted the smaller ship as I think it is overall a more chill experience, less crowded and more intimate feel, and I expect serenity bay to feel like my own private beach - with our cruise holding fewer people to start with and being vastly undersold compared to the Fantasy of the same week.

I have not been on the Magic in 20 years but I have been on the Dream/Fantasy with kiddo much more recently and had a nice time also. Only thing I'll miss is the aquaduck, but for half the price of the cruise it's not a deal killer. You won't get me on that "floor drops out from under you" thing on the Magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter