Best Disney ship for couple only trip

RoseMom

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are wanting to go on a cruise without the kids. I have only sailed on the Disney Dream and that was about 7 years ago. We have both sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival but I definitely enjoyed the Disney experience more. Which Disney ship would one suggest for a couple going without kids?

The one that best fits your schedule and budget. I would personally avoid the Wish for adult only as I find the adult "pool" on the Wish to be very small or close to non-existent. But we have gone as a couple only on the Wish and still had fun (since we went in Winter) but in warmer months would want a bigger pool etc.

I haven’t been on the Wish, but of the four other ships, any would work for an adults-only trip. The Dream and Fantasy have more bars in the adult lounge area compared to the Magic and Wonder. They also have another adults-only restaurant, Remy, in addition to Palo.

Choosing based on schedule and itinerary would make more sense, though, since all 4 ships are very similar.

The advantage to the classic ships is the layout around the adult pool, including cove café. The adult pool is larger and nicer than on the Dream class ships. The adult club areas are nice on the classic ships, but the Dream class ships do have more options. You might look at the shows that are on each ship, some of them are exclusive, and if there’s one you particularly want to see or a themed restaurant, you particularly want to try that might frame your decision. I also agree with the previous posters that time of year and destination are also important decisions.

I liked the Wish more than many on this board but even so I wouldn't choose that one for an adults-only trip as the bars are all spread out and the adult area is small and hard to get to.

I would say, if you're the type that likes a small, intimate feeling and you're either planning to go for just a short cruise or you like going to the same bar every night where you'll know the bartenders, pick the Magic or Wonder. Or if you happen to really like Rapunzel (the Magic) or Tiana (the Wonder).

If you want to have more options (more lounges, the extra adult restaurant, mini golf) then choose Dream or Fantasy. I think I liked the theming of the Fantasy's adult area more but that's really a matter of personal taste.

Honestly though, between those four I don't think you can go wrong!

Dream or Fantasy would be our preference:
- Great adults-only areas (more private and secluded than on the Wish)
- More adults-only choices than on the classic/older ships

And between the Dream or Fantasy, we like the adults-only theming better on the Fantasy (deck 4).

How many nights
Looking for a good deal or is price unimportant
Time of year, departure point
Any place you wanted to visit but having the kids held you back?

What do you want to do on this cruise?
Unique ports
Spa experience / Rainforest Room
Bars
Adult pool area
Specialized dining
Production shows
Walk the Promenade around Deck 4
Have a different type cabin
Verandah or not
Watch movies in the Buena Vista Theater (M W D F - not Wish)

The one thing that hasn’t been mentioned which is nicer on Magic and Wonder for adults as compared to Dream and Fantasy is that the venue for the adult evening Ente is larger and gives you much better views of the stage.

We really think that the Wish's adult-only pool area is sad and pathetic. But we've sailed on her twice (a four-day and a three-day), and we're sailing on her in November this year (3-day). If you're getting off at Castaway Cay, you probably won't be spending much time in the pool. And if you're not getting off at Castaway Cay, you'll have the pool largely to yourself (not to mention being able to ride the AquaMouse multiple times in a row without getting off).

We spent a lot of time in the Rose (especially during sailaway- amazing views - and when at Castaway Cay), the Bayou (coffee and beignets in the morning when hardly anyone is up and about), movies, shows, trivia, snacks at Keg & Compass, sitting on our verandah, lunch, ice cream on pool deck. We rarely found much time to spend in the adult-only pool area. We did manage coffee a couple of times in the Cove Cafe.

Now if they have the exact same configuration for the Treasure - for a 7-day cruise, I might mind the small adult-pool area more than on a three or four day where there are so many other things to do that we didn't have a lot of time to spare to go to the pool. But then there are usually more things to do on a 7-day. We'll have to wait and see.

So, while it's not my favourite ship, and the design has some drawbacks, it's still as good a ship for a couple as the others IMO.

I can't speak for the Wonder or the Magic, I have yet to sail on either of them. I have been on the Fantasy, Dream, and the Wish as adults only. The only ship that I was not impressed with as an adults only was the Wish. I loved the Dream and Fantasy adult area. In just a few short days I will be back on the Fantasy with my wife, my adult daughter, and her boyfriend. What's going to make this trip so special is he is going to propose to my daughter. She has no idea, but he did it the good old fashion way and asked me for permission. :)

One more thing is if it matters the Dream, Fantasy and Wish all have two different adult dining only restaurants whereas the Magic and Wonder have only one.

I've only sailed on the Fantasy and the Wonder and I'd pick the Fantasy as an adult's only option every time. I enjoyed the night life on the Wonder, however the Fantasy has two adult restaurants, two adult pool areas, and better bars.

On the Fantasy we particularly liked the Meridian Bar where we could sit outside at the back of the ship drinking afternoon cocktails. We also enjoyed Skyline in the evenings with the changing international backdrops, and The Tube for the comedy shows and nightlife.

I never made it to the adult parts on the Wish, thank you child who refused to learn to potty train, but if my husband and I were to do an adults trip, we'd base it on departure port and then maybe itinerary....which would probably put us on the Wish as getting someone to watch our offspring for a week for a 7 night cruise would be quite the stretch.

We sail as an adult couple most all our cruises. We have sailed the fantasy, dream and magic. We much prefer the fantasy. We sail the fantasy 3 times per year and spend all week on deck 13. It is an amazing adult only area. The small, unshaded adult only pool area on the Wish is keeping us from sailing that ship.

We've sailed on all the ships now except the Treasure and all of them are wonderful. Personally I'd pick the Wish because it's new. That said, we just sailed on the Fantasy this past September and enjoyed it so much we booked Fantasy for next February. I still think the Wish is beautiful with it's infinity pools, different dinners and Lounges. We're not runners so the track thing doesn't bother us and we prefer the smaller movie theaters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter