Best age for child first time...

It's a running joke that my 20 month old outlasted my MIL. Even my MIL jokes about it.
We brought my MIL last Feb & 7 mos DS this past Nov. MIL was waaaaaay more work & not cute! Trip with MIL was our worst ever & with DS best ever.

My oldest is 3.5 and he has been to Disney 6 times. My youngest is 1.5 and has been twice. So, I'm definitely in the camp that is not afraid to take little ones! Having said that, taking a baby or toddler really is about how much YOU want to go. I, personally, LOVE Disney and am getting a lot for myself out of it. If you are doing it just for the kids and/or would resent if you got there and spent a ton of money for things not to go well, then I'd suggest waiting until around age 7 when some maturity kicks in like another poster mentioned and you are beyond dealing with the meltdown/needing naps stage. Toddlers don't cease behaving like toddlers in Disney... and as any parent knows, they aren't the most stable little people! I've had great trips every single time. IMO, babies and toddlers will have their frustrating moments anywhere so you might as well be in Disney where there is a lot to enjoy!

I have 3 kids and have taken them to Disney at all different ages and stages from age 1 to my oldest is now 12. I would say the "sweet spot" is really around age 5-7. They are old enough to keep up, out of diapers, mostly done with naps, they still are into the "magic" and the characters, they are tall enough to go on all the rides, they're old enough to remember the trip and they are easier to travel with. I would say a baby (less than about 9 months) is fairly easy (just a lot of work on the primary care givers part), but then a baby who is crawling/cruising/walking to toddler age all the way up through about 3 is probably the most challenging for lots of reasons. Think potty training, nap times, melt downs, screaming, chasing them around, keeping them still and quiet when needed, traveling with them etc. ... it's a lot. Then you get to 3-4 year old's which can be pretty good, but you're still dealing with tantrums and they still get overtired and overstimulated, they aren't tall enough for a lot of rides, yet they "want" to go on everything. If it's a once in a life time trip, I say wait until 5 or close to it. If you plan to go a lot, have at it!

Our first trip with DD and her family, DGS1 was 3 and DGS2 was 4 months. I thought we should wait another year, but DD though a little baby was easier to handle than a toddler, who had a mind of his own. It worked very well; DD “wore” DGS2 and everything went smoothly.

My favorite Disney memory of all time occurred during our next trip, three years later. We were on the ferry leaving DW on our first day, after the fireworks. I leaned down to talk to DGS1 in his stroller and saw his eyes welling with tears and his little lip quivering. I asked what was wrong, and he pointed to the Castle and said “I want to go back to Disney.” I had the great joy of telling him that that was our first day, and he would be going back to Disney several more times in the following days.

You can make magical memories at any age.

I waited until mine were 2,6,7. I was more worried about them being tall enough to ride vs remembering. It was a lot of work, but my entire family came and we always left midday for a break. I loved it, they did too.1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter