Best age for child first time...

Callum Armstrong

Earning My Ears
Hi, any help would be appreciated, I have a 7 month old and looking at planning next holiday, hopefully to WDW. Looking to see if it’s worth the money if they won’t appreciate it.

Any advice...

Thanks!

We took our DD for her first trip when she was 4 months old. Yeah, it was worth it to me but I already knew that it wasn't going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip. I would wait until about 5-7 for a once in a lifetime trip. They are old and big enough for most rides, they are still "kids" in the eyes of Disney for park passes and restaurants, they are past the stage where they are afraid of the characters and they are still into seeing and interacting the characters.

How often are you planning to go?

I took both my kids when they turned one (12 months and 13 months), but we knew we would be going back every year or two with DVC.

Their reactions at just 1 year old were better than I could have imagined. I treasure the memory I have of both my kids’ first ride on It’s a Small World.

If it’s a once in a lifetime trip, I would wait until your child is older, but if you plan to go back I would not hesitate to bring a one year old. I’d do it again in a minute.

While my kids don’t remember their first trips, they LOVE looking at the photos and videos of themselves at WDW as babies.

If you plan to go every couple of years then go for it! Otherwise first trip age we really like is the 3rd Birthday - no ticket needed but old enough to really get into the magic.

That said, all our kids have gone for the first time under 1 and it was worth it for us!

People often ask what is the best age, the best age is ANY AGE! It's Disney World, they have something for everyone. We took our DD when she was 19 months old - we had been many, many times before having her and would have gone sooner but we are from Australia so it took time to save money to go after paying for IVF treatments, She had the most amazing time, she is now 3 and still talks about it.
We have two kids now and are going in setpember this year, older DD is 3 and younger DD will be 10 months old.
Go whenever YOU want to go, kids, whether they are babies, toddlers or whatever enjoy doing anything.

I have seen this question before and everyone has their own opinion. A lot really does come down to how often you go. We go every 2-3 years (lately it is every other year just because we want to) my older 2 were 8 and 6 on their first trip and both cried when we had to leave. Both my younger boys were just shy of 1 on their first trip. No they don’t remember but like others said, they can look at pictures and it gets them used to traveling. It also depends on how much work you want to do. Do you want the hassle of a stroller, diapers and bottles (or nursing breaks) with a baby? Or frequent potty breaks, accidents, strollers and lots of snacks for a toddler? I did it all and it was all great but My perfect age was 4-5 Right before they start kindergarten. They are big enough to ride most things, are likely to remember the trip at least a little, go without a stroller( I know there are way older kids in strollers but mine never needed one) but still have that little kid magic. Whatever age you pick will be perfect

There's no right age. My daughter's first visit was at 21 months, mine was at 18 years (that's way too late, don't wait that long)

My niece and nephew will be 7 and 5 for their first trip.

My friend's son was 9 months old (she thought that one was an easy trip, because he was basically furniture that ate, slept, and pooped)

The baby won't remember the trip but you will. When my daughter Gwendolyn was 5 I took her on her once and done trip. I am currently planning what I call our 6th and done trip. She starts KU in the fall so I know I only have a couple of more trips before she is out of the house. So each trip is worth it.

We took our DD for her first trip when she was 4 months old. Yeah, it was worth it to me but I already knew that it wasn't going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip. I would wait until about 5-7 for a once in a lifetime trip. They are old and big enough for most rides, they are still "kids" in the eyes of Disney for park passes and restaurants, they are past the stage where they are afraid of the characters and they are still into seeing and interacting the characters.
I agree. If you want THEM to remember the trip and be able to tell some narrative about it, "We ate with Donald Duck. There was a big castle. I ate ice cream for breakfast once," then they should be 4-8 y/o. Past that, you run the risk of them feeling "uncool" about liking Disney, and before then, obviously they will have NO memory and rely on photos to show them what happened. If you are happy to have those adorable photos and that's the Happy Ending to your story, that's fine too. If it's a lifegoal to have the baby wearing Mickey Ears and eating a Mickey Bar .... go for it. Have fun.

I remember very little snippets of my first trips, for what it's worth... one year it snowed, one year I ate a fruit salad in the Magic Kingdom (on the now-defunct benches outside Space Mountain!), one year our photo processing lab LOST our film and our pics of the Gummi Bears on the parade route are gone forever...

We are taking our little girl over Thanksgiving and she will only be 18 months at the time. we are DVC members, so we know we will be going multiple times, but as a pp mentioned, she will be free at Disney until she is 3 and her airfare will be free as well. My parents will be going as well and my mom is most interested in seeing her expressions as she sees everything for the first time. My sentiment is we want to see how she reacts to all the sights and sounds and see her huge smile when she gets super excited.

If you want to take a 7 month old, you just have to have realistic expectation of what your plans are for the day. You'll have to scale down on time spent at park, things you're going to do, places you will visit. So like spend only the morning at parks, riding rides such as It's a small world, and either between parks or your resorts, you're not going to be doing dinners at resorts that you're not staying at because it'll be too late by the time you're done.

Hi, any help would be appreciated, I have a 7 month old and looking at planning next holiday, hopefully to WDW. Looking to see if it’s worth the money if they won’t appreciate it.

Any advice...

Thanks!

I agree with the others. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'd wait, but if you'll be there multiple times, go for it!

My first trip to Disney was when I was 17 years old. I then thought it would be my only trip. Luckily, that changed in 1998 when hubby and I went on our honeymoon 7 years later! :woohoo: Next trip, in 99 was NOT a good one....that was with my mom, sister, and her three kids. :( Hubby and I went again in 2000 for our anniversary trip. I'm getting there, have patience with me. :rotfl2: Our son was born in Dec of 2007. Hubby comes into the living room December of 2010, right after Hanukkah and asked me to plan a Disney trip for the family! :cheer2: I nearly fell out of my computer chair. We went spring break of 2011 when our son was 3. He was 44 inches tall at 3 years old! :eek: So he rode Splash and BTMRR! He LOVED the princesses back then! I've got some GREAT pics of him with Aurora, Cinderella, and Belle! :lovestruc Wasn't truly sure when our next trip would be, but it happened March of 2015. Son was 7 then. That trip wasn't near as successful as I hoped. He had a fear of the dark back then, so, there were many rides that weren't received well when darkness was involved. The only one that seemed to hold him was Test Track. Because of his love for cars, he tolerated the dark for all the other cool stuff that happened before you hit the track. And here we are....4 years later with my son and trip number 3 for him. He's 11 and a little more grown up now. The dark doesn't phase him anymore and he's ready to tackle all those rides that "scared" him before. Bless his heart....even Pooh's ride made him cry back when he was 7. :worried: 3 was a GREAT time to take my son! He was so laid back and mellow back then. But as many have said, you have to decide what you think is best. I do agree, if you're going to visit again soon, then I'd hold off on going with your precious infant. Otherwise....have at it! Here are some pics of my son back when he was 3 with the princesses. The one with Jasmine is my ABSOLUTE fav!

Attachments

• Photo0128FourBySix.jpg
    Photo0128FourBySix.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo0138FourBySix.jpg
    Photo0138FourBySix.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo0143FourBySix.jpg
    Photo0143FourBySix.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo0166FourBySix.jpg
    Photo0166FourBySix.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Tiggerlover91 he is so precious!! My DS loved princess at 4. when we went on DCL he spent the week trying to give his sister’s jewelry( that he stole from her) to the princesses. He is also 11 now. I miss those days :sad:

Tiggerlover91 he is so precious!! My DS loved princess at 4. when we went on DCL he spent the week trying to give his sister’s jewelry( that he stole from her) to the princesses. He is also 11 now. I miss those days :sad:

Thank you so much!! In that pic where he sat on Belle's lap...after he high fives Cinderella, he decided he was done. Cinderella was signing his autograph book and my son proceeded to walk over and sit in Belle's lap! :rotfl2::rotfl2:Cinderella asked if my son had a thing for brunettes?! :lmao::lmao:I was like I guess so! He told me he wants to go see the princesses again this year! :lovestruc We didn't see them in 2015. Well, Ariel was the only one actually.

Your son stole his sister's jewelry!! For the princesses!! :rolleyes1:laughing:

Last edited:
Might not be a popular opinion, but I would talk with your Pediatrician about what they think also. At 7 months children don't have all of their vaccinations. (Huge measles outbreak, influenza, etc)

Might not be a popular opinion, but I would talk with your Pediatrician about what they think also. At 7 months children don't have all of their vaccinations. (Huge measles outbreak, influenza, etc)

If I understand the OP correctly, the kid is 7 months at this moment, but I don't know when this planned vacation is (I'm assuming sometime during northern hemisphere summer?)

Knowing the age a travel would be helpful in as far as making age appropriate suggestions.

I'm pregnant and wondering when the best time to go is. For me I think anytime after the terrible 2 stage. I also selfishly don't want to have to leave the park early, I'd like to be able to see nighttime shows so I would choose an age where they are able to stay up later for that or at least can take a break from the day and come back so they'll be awake for it.

I'm pregnant and wondering when the best time to go is. For me I think anytime after the terrible 2 stage. I also selfishly don't want to have to leave the park early, I'd like to be able to see nighttime shows so I would choose an age where they are able to stay up later for that or at least can take a break from the day and come back so they'll be awake for it.

Every kid is different, my friends kids all made it open to close with stroller naps in between.

my 21 month old made it from just after RD to about 7 or 8 most nights. I probably could have pushed it, but I didn't want to. Honestly my 21 month old outlasted my 60 yr old MIL...:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!